• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Marc Aurel Stein (Archaeologist; Explored Central Asia)

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
(This line of discussion originally appeared in the Ancient Microbes / Tibetan Plateau thread.)

Reminds me of Mark Aurel Stein's account of excavating a Tibetian outpost fort in Eastern Tibet.

He assumes the garrison was reduced because he found a lot of interesting things in one of the rooms...things that people don't normally leave inside a building.

He estimated the age at about 500 years old but the things were still fresh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of Mark Aurel Stein's account of excavating a Tibetian outpost fort in Eastern Tibet.

He assumes the garrison was reduced because he found a lot of interesting things in one of the rooms...things that people don't normally leave inside a building.

He estimated the age at about 500 years old but the things were still fresh!
Please tell us more...

Last edited by a moderator:
For the life of me...long time ago.

I read his writings when I was young, fascinating guy, real genuine old school adventure.

I think the book was his 1904 one, cant recall the title. Was dedicated to his Mother.

(He was that kind of guy.)

Didn't spend much time in Tibet, it was far too cold.

The poo was still smelly and presumably still full of bacteria.

For the life of me...long time ago.

I read his writings when I was young, fascinating guy, real genuine old school adventure.

I think the book was his 1904 one, cant recall the title. Was dedicated to his Mother.

(He was that kind of guy.)

Didn't spend much time in Tibet, it was far too cold.

The poo was still smelly and presumably still full of bacteria.
'Sand-buried Ruins of Khotan'?

Probably. it was one of his central Asian ones rather than other areas.

'Sand-buried Ruins of Khotan'?

One of my favourite things about Sir Aurel Stein is his being accompanied, successively, by seven dogs named 'Dash':

http://idp.bl.uk/education/dash/index.htm

As you can see, Dash 1 AKA Yolchi Beg ('Sir Traveller' in Turkish) is the cutest of the six pictured and the incumbent during the period in question.

Here's a fuller shot:

SmartSelect_20210726-114019_Gallery.jpg

Full scans of book:
http://dsr.nii.ac.jp/toyobunko/VIII-5-B2-5/V-1/

Last edited:
accompanied, successively, by seven dogs named 'Dash':

Then the seventh son of that Dash - by various Tulpas and a now-forbidden sex-rite - begot Supreme Fortean Mike Dash!

I hope he never looks in . . . :thought:

Yes, That is something I like about Aurel Stein;

He didnt mess around with dog names

Back