• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

This guy travels from Iowa to Chicago and sets himself (and his firearms) up in what looks like a mad sniper position in a beachfront hotel. He even brings his girlfriend and their two kids along. Hotel staff discover the guns, the police are alerted, and the guy is arrested. As soon as he's released on bond he proposes marriage to the girlfriend.

Domestic terrorism thwarted? Bizarrely American-style marriage proposal stunt interrupted? Plain ol' bat-shit craziness? You decide!
Iowa man arrested for rifle in lakefront hotel room proposes to girlfriend after release on bond

After being released on bond following his arrest for bringing a rifle and handgun to his lakefront Chicago hotel room, an Iowa man proposed to his girlfriend outside the 18th District headquarters.

Keegan Casteel, 32, of Ankeny, Iowa, is charged with two felony counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, police said. Casteel owns an auto repair shop in Des Moines.

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said a member of the cleaning staff at the W Chicago - Lakeshore "likely prevented a tragedy from happening" when he alerted authorities about firearms he found in a hotel room. ...

Prosecutors revealed that Casteel's room at the W Chicago - Lakeshore was on the 12th floor facing Ohio Street Beach. Prosecutors said Casteel's semi-automatic rifle had four magazines next to it and a live round in the chamber.

Casteel's girlfriend was also in the room, prosecutors said, and law enforcement sources tell the I-Team that their two children were also on the trip. ...

Casteel's girlfriend appeared to accept the proposal, and they drove away without making a public comment. ...
FULL STORY: https://abc7chicago.com/hotel-chicago-gun-keegan-casteel-guns/10869750/

This guy travels from Iowa to Chicago and sets himself (and his firearms) up in what looks like a mad sniper position in a beachfront hotel. He even brings his girlfriend and their two kids along. Hotel staff discover the guns, the police are alerted, and the guy is arrested. As soon as he's released on bond he proposes marriage to the girlfriend.
I hope his girlfriend only appeared to accept, and then called it off when she'd gotten her kids in a safe place!

This lady sounds like a charmer. There is surely a history of mental health problems or substance abuse.

Police ban Crewe woman from 'urinating or defecating' in town

Police have banned a woman from 'urinating or defecating' in any open space in Crewe following a string of convictions dating back to the 90s.

Amanda Lee, from Mount Pleasant in Crewe, has a total of 15 convictions from 1996 to 2018 including anti-social behaviour, harassment, public order offences and abusing the 999 system.

In a bid to stop the 50-year-old's criminal activity, police applied for a Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO) which was granted by Crewe Magistrates' Court on Monday (July 12).

The CBO now prevents Lee from doing the following five things in the Crewe area.

• Not to be in possession of alcohol in an open container within the exclusion zone
  • Not to use abusive language or threatening behaviour in a public place. Including using a dog to threaten or intimidate people
  • Not to contact police on 999 or 101 or by any means (including using a third party to contact police on your behalf) unless you have a genuine reason for doing so
  • Not to urinate or defecate in any open space, public or private
  • Not to enter Preece Court

I always wondered what happened to the ex-wife.

A young Wisconsin man reported his parents missing following the July Fourth holiday weekend. Perhaps he'd forgotten that he'd (apparently; so it seems to date ... ) murdered and dismembered them.
Wisconsin man who reported his parents missing charged in father's grisly death

Chandler Halderson reported his parents missing on July 7.

A 23-year-old Wisconsin man has been charged with first-degree intentional homicide, accused of shooting and dismembering his father then hiding his remains.

Chandler Halderson was also officially charged with providing false information on a kidnapped or missing person, mutilating a corpse and hiding a corpse, according to court records. ...

He reported his parents, Bart and Krista Halderson, missing on July 7, but was arrested a day later for providing false information to police, investigators said.

The Dane County Sheriff's Office said they found human remains belonging to Bart Halderson, 50, on July 8. ...

Following a tip, additional human remains were located Wednesday near a Department of Natural Resources property near the town of Roxbury ...

rista Halderson, 53, is still missing.

"At this moment we are optimistic that Krista is still alive and well and we will let the evidence from our investigation tell us otherwise," Dane County Sheriff Kalvin Barrett said Thursday. ...

The suspect told police his parents had spent July Fourth weekend at their cabin in White Lake, Langlade County, with an unknown couple, and they never returned. But when authorities searched the lake house, they found no evidence that anyone had been there. ...
FULL STORY: https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-reported-parents-missing-arrested-dads-dismembered-remains/story

A woman who had been ripping off a dentist's office took the opportunity to rip off a patient - by pulling 13 of the patient's teeth.
Nevada Woman Broke Into Dentist’s Office and Yanked 13 Teeth From a Patient: Cops

A woman in Nevada broke into a dentist’s office multiple times to pocket tens of thousands of dollars and extract 13 teeth from an unwitting patient, sheriff’s deputies said Thursday. Laurel Eich, who worked at the dental practice but who is not a dentist, allegedly admitted to Washoe County Sheriff’s officers that she used anesthetic her employer had tossed to sedate the person while yanking the teeth. What she did with the teeth afterwards was unclear. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.thedailybeast.com/laure...e-and-yanked-13-teeth-from-a-patient-cops-say

A drunk ex-con broke *into* a jail, whereupon he declared the police couldn't arrest him and there was no transportation delay once he was proven wrong.

From the above rreport

Yakima County officials still do not know why he decided to commit these crimes. ...

@maximus otter I suspect lots of police reports have something similar to drink had been taken but do any of them include is a complete idiot?

Last edited by a moderator:
From the above rreport

@maximus otter I suspect lots of police reports have something similar to drink had been taken but do any of them include is a complete idiot?

There's a difference between official report and, say, the write-off I'd give to the Force Control Room after completing a job to which I'd been tasked.

"Official reports" would have to be more objective, less judgmental and completely fact-based: "The defendant's eyes were glazed, his speech was slurred, he was unsteady on his feet and his breath smelt strongly of intoxicating liquor. I formed the opinion that he was drunk."*

On the other hand, we had a range of write-offs, many abbreviated, for stuff that would remain in-house, e.g. entries on the force's Command & Control computer. Examples included:

NCPA: No Cause Police Action (Why the hell was I even sent to this?)
RMP: Raving Mad, Pal ("The principal participant displayed evidence of mental disturbance".)
Form LOB.1 completed: ("Load Of Bollocks.")

Etc.

*Fun factoid: The only matter in which a police constable is allowed to give evidence of opinion is the issue of whether someone was drunk. Horses for courses, eh?

maximus otter

Last edited:
An 80-year-old man was found dead - apparently beaten - with accusatory remarks written on his body.
Man found dead with ‘I touch little girls’ written on chest

An 80-year-old man was found dead in a New York City apartment building with the words “I touch little girls” scrawled across his body, police and a neighbour said on Tuesday.

The body of Robert Raynor was found just after 9.30am on Monday inside the first-floor hallway ...

Mr Raynor’s upstairs neighbour told the New York Post that he was jolted awake in the wee hours of Monday by a ruckus in the building.

“It was so loud, I could hear it over the air conditioner,” Isaac Williams, 40, said. ...

Mr Williams eventually dozed off despite the noise – but when he went downstairs in the morning, he spotted his neighbour’s lifeless body splayed out in the building’s hallway.

... “My first instinct was he was drunk and he’d just fallen – even though I’d never seen him drunk." ...

Written on his bare chest were the words, “I touch little girls,” according to police.

Sources added that “I take dolls in my room for girls age 1-5” was written on his stomach, while “I touch” was scrawled on his right foot.

Williams confirmed the unnerving messages, noting that they appeared to be written in “black magic marker”.

Police said that the deceased had cuts on his forehead and two black eyes, while Mr Williams described apparent injuries to his nose.

Williams characterised the octogenarian as frail, and said he had never had reason to suspect him of inappropriate behaviour. ...

Mr Raynor had 24 arrests to his name, but his record did not suggest a history of paedophilia, sources said. ...

Mr Raynor’s estranged son told the Post by phone that he was troubled by his father’s death, despite their having spoken just a handful of times over the past few decades.

... “There’s no real relationship. I might have spoken to him twice in the last 35 years.

“It’s still shocking and upsetting to hear the circumstances by which he met his demise.”

Both Mr Williams and the younger Raynor said that the deceased lived with three female relatives – one approximately in her 30s and the others children – but the exact relationship was in dispute. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.news.com.au/world/north...t/news-story/c2536f623973e2999a553694f0541159

An 80-year-old man was found dead - apparently beaten - with accusatory remarks written on his body.

FULL STORY: https://www.news.com.au/world/north...t/news-story/c2536f623973e2999a553694f0541159
Williams confirmed the unnerving messages, noting that they appeared to be written in “black magic marker”.
My first reading was surprise at magic markers sold for black magic purposes before realising it was a bog standard magic marker with black colour.

Ottawa man found guilty of attempted bestiality and break-and-enter:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...tawa-man-caught-with-pants-down-in-pony-stall

"It's not what it looks like." Erm, right.

he had been drinking and did two lines of coke a few hours before breaking into the barn.

They always blame the substance abuse, don't they?
Nobody thinks 'I'll just have a quiet pint and go'ome, none o'that binge-drinkin' an' nose-candy or it'll be me an' Dobbin and the Old Bill again.'

Large stones have been stolen from a 16th century castle.

"A number of large stones have been stolen from a wall at a ruined 16th Century castle near Falkirk.

Police Scotland said thieves had damaged a 2m (6ft 7in) section of wall while taking the stones from Torwood Castle on Glen Road.

The Category A listed building dates back to about 1566 and is owned by a charitable trust.

The theft of the stones, from a wall surrounding a monument, took place at some point between 1 July and 18 July.

The castle, near Glenbervie Golf Course, consists of a main block with a short wing attached, forming an L-shape.

Forth Valley Police Division said the wall is believed to have been built at the same time as the castle and the stones are of "historical value"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-57953105

You can't even pay the ransom without being kidnapped.

Kidnappers in Nigeria have seized a man who was sent to deliver a ransom payment to secure the release of dozens of abducted school children.

The elderly man was sent by the children's parents after they managed to raise 30m naira ($73,000; £53,000) by selling land and other possessions. But they have been left feeling hopeless following his kidnapping.

The north of the country is in the midst of a wave of school abductions carried out by criminals for profit. Ransoms are frequently paid, but this is a rare case where the person carrying the cash has been taken. The kidnappers called up the school's headteacher to say that the money delivered was not the agreed sum.

The 136 students were taken from an Islamic school in Tegina, Niger state, in late May. Gunmen riding on motorcycles stormed the town and opened fire indiscriminately killing one person and injuring another.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-57960544

Another tragic case.

Reports of girls and young women being brutally assaulted by family members have recently made headlines in India. The incidents have also put the spotlight on how unsafe girls and women are within their own homes.

Last week, 17-year-old Neha Paswan was allegedly beaten to death by members of her extended family in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh because they didn't like her wearing jeans.

Her mother, Shakuntala Devi Paswan, told BBC Hindi that the teenager had been severely beaten with sticks by her grandfather and uncles after an argument over her clothes at their home in Savreji Kharg village in Deoria district, one of the least developed regions in the state.

"She had kept a day-long religious fast. In the evening, she put on a pair of jeans and a top and performed her rituals. When her grandparents objected to her attire, Neha retorted that jeans were made to be worn and that she would wear it," her mother said. The argument escalated, resulting in the violence, she claims.

Shakuntala Devi said as her daughter lay unconscious, her in-laws called an autorickshaw and said they were taking her to hospital.

"They wouldn't let me accompany them so I alerted my relatives who went to the district hospital looking for her but couldn't find her."

The next morning, Shakuntala Devi said, they heard that the body of a girl was hanging from the bridge over the Gandak river that flows through the region. When they went to investigate, they discovered it was Neha's.

Police have lodged a case of murder and destruction of evidence against 10 people, including Neha's grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and the auto driver. The accused have yet to make any public statement.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-57968350

Women all over the world have a “ hard way “ to go from menstruation huts, hands and heads cut off, physically beat up, or tortured by their own families.

I personally never think humans are really civilized from the hurt they cause.

Animals only kill if they are hungry.

"She had kept a day-long religious fast. In the evening, she put on a pair of jeans and a top and performed her rituals. When her grandparents objected to her attire, Neha retorted that jeans were made to be worn and that she would wear it," her mother said. The argument escalated, resulting in the violence, she claims.
Poor girl, murdered for wearing jeans. By her own family. Bastards.

Women all over the world have a “ hard way “ to go from menstruation huts, hands and heads cut off, physically beat up, or tortured by their own families.

I personally never think humans are really civilized from the hurt they cause.

Animals only kill if they are hungry.
Did you see Tony Robinson's TV series about the Worst Jobs in History? If not, I highly recommend it.
His conclusion was that of all the dangerous and revolting occupations he'd investigated, just being a woman was the worst.

At the end of the final episode he had himself 'ducked' like a suspected witch.

Did you see Tony Robinson's TV series about the Worst Jobs in History? If not, I highly recommend it.
His conclusion was that of all the dangerous and revolting occupations he'd investigated, just being a woman was the worst.
Worse than being a sewer worker unblocking fatbergs?

Back