• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Haunted Hotels & Hotel Ghost Encounters (IHTM)

Have this again - my long weekend in a haunted Prague holiday apartment. I may have posted it elsewhere on'ere but can't find it and anyway it's fun.

Stayed in a self-catering apartment in Prague with a mate, was haunted. Or it was the beer.
There was a little entrance hall with the door to the other apartment opposite ours.
Nobody was staying in the other apartment, as I found when I got a bollocking from the manager for using the shower there. I'd thought it was part of ours as they'd left it open.

He said he had locked it and accused me of breaking in. It all got a bit unpleasant for a while.

On the first night our bedroom door opened repeatedly and someone would lean in and look at me.

I'd hear the door move and when I turned over I could see the person in the light from the street. Looked like an adult in a dark hoodie with their face in shadow.

The flight had been rough and the beer strong so I thought, heh, the doors're locked, I'm dreaming!
i'd stare a bit and then start to sit up, at which point the figure would slip back through the door and close it.

This happened about three or four times. I wasn't afraid - it was a dream, right? - and in the morning I tried the doors and it they were locked as we'd left them. My mate hadn't seen or heard a thing.

We wondered if someone'd moved into the other flat in the night and was fooling about but they hadn't.
Perhaps the staff were playing silly buggers?

Next night I locked the exterior door again and jammed a chair under the handle, and locked the bedroom door as before. The same thing happened. I was highly entertained.

I offered to swap beds so my mate could see it too but strangely, she refused.

We stayed for a few nights and had a great time, loads of sightseeing and plenty of ale, and the 'visitor' popped in every night.
On the last night I locked the exterior door as usual but left the bedroom door unlocked for a change.

On that night, just once in the small hours, I heard the door open again. This time I didn't even open my eyes. One hand was hanging out of the bed and I felt an icy-cold hand slip into it and hold it. It stayed there for about a minute and then withdrew.

Well, that was a vivd dream! I thought, and pausing only to break wind, went back to sleep.

I've stayed in hotels all over the world, some good, some terrible, but that Prague apartment was the best. Or perhaps it was the Czech beer.

(Here's the thing though. The apartment had a front door and there were then two doors to 2 separate apartments, left and right. As I mentioned, we had just one but as the other door was standing open I thought we had the use of both. The manager went mad and accused me of breaking into it and we had a big row. So there was a door-related anomaly before we even started drinking.)

Last edited:
The team making this video of The Red Lion, Cromer hauntings have put up an atmospheric teaser video on Facebook. I'm the bloke in the base ball jacket, the young lady is the daughter of the previous night porter who's only recently told me that he also had creepy experiences, he tells me he's being interviewed as well. I can't wait to hear what his experiences were. The team haven't got a youtube channel up yet so apologies if anyone reading can't watch this on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/ceecee.wade.79?__tn__=,d-]-h-R&eid=ARBYCHv44yaAvPbsHOgZQTXy6230tlloBxxAwSbwBp4O8M2d9RVbhYux9f1D71asZCzHBAj44njvbH9P

Where's the fookin' sound eh?
I dunno? .. I'm not editing it .. I quite like the creepy music they've used for now though. This is just the teaser trailer apparently.

yeah. it's really great.

Please let us know when the full production emerges, Swift. I know you have several experiences to recount on it, and I very much look forward to something resembling a doco. Tell 'em to pull their finger out.

yeah. it's really great.

Please let us know when the full production emerges, Swift. I know you have several experiences to recount on it, and I very much look forward to something resembling a doco. Tell 'em to pull their finger out.
Will do buddy, hopefully their youtube channel will be up by the time it's finished, I'll post it here then.

Grand. Sincerely looking forward to it ~ I apologise for the bossy prickness above. You know me how I get when I'm locked. I was only fuckin' with ya. Can't wait to see you on the slightly silver screen. :bpals:

Sounds like a lovely place to stay
The haunted hotel: inside the former brothel serving nightmare fetishists
Colorado

The Black Monarch is the newest addition to a thriving haunted hotel industry that has become big business in Colorado
Josiah Hesse in Victor, Colorado
Thu 18 Jul 2019 06.00 BST

The Black Monarch hotel offers an over-the-top immersive art experience for those who fetishize nightmares. Photograph: Josiah Hesse/The Guardian

An enormous growling wolf is the first of many horrors to greet visitors entering the Black Monarch Hotel in Victor, Colorado.
Located in this once-abandoned mountain town, the Black Monarch hotel offers an over-the-top immersive art experience for those who fetishize nightmares and is the latest addition to a thriving haunted hotel industry that has become big business in Colorado.

etc

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/17/black-monarch-haunted-hotel-colorado-the-shining

About twelve years ago, I was hired as the live in night porter/head barman at the Red Lion Hotel in Cromer.

If you skip to 0:23 in this video (and turn the dreadful music off), you'll see my old office (also reception area)..

I was responsible for locking everything up 6 nights a week and was nearly always completely alone, I was certainly the only staff member there.

One night, with the reception window still open, all the outside doors locked and all the guests in their rooms upstairs, I distinctly heard what sounded like three footsteps walking towards the reception window, hard soled shoes on the stone floor you can see pictured in the video. Of course there was no one there but my job was to make sure and there was still no one there or anywhere they could have been hiding. As a large 70's type plastic roof window was above the area, I put it down to that contracting and creating the sound. You can see one of these roof windows at 0:50 in the video.

Opposite that area, a door led/leads into the restaurant, one of my duties was also to check that area, by then I'd always switched the lights off although there was enough outside light that you could see. Often I'd get the feeling that the room was full of people, I never heard or saw anyone, just that feeling you get when someone walks up behind you and you sense them but of course, this could just be put down to tiredness.

One of our managers had had to check out a guest early from room 10, he'd refused to stay a second night but wouldn't explain why. His company had paid for the room so the manager received a phone call later the same day from this man's boss. It turned out the man had seen the reflection in his bathroom mirror of a Victorian looking woman and hadn't had a wink of sleep afterwards.

The large bar and dining area got through light bulbs at an astonishing rate, the tub we had for replacements was about half the size of a fridge, most mornings after I'd unlocked, the cleaners would arrive to find me up the stepladder replacing them. Again, this was/is an old building so weak electrics were the more likely explanation.

One evening, a good friend of mine was sat at the bar playing with a phone he'd just bought and was taking random pictures. He gave a shocked "f*****g hell!", said "hang on" and then explained to me that he'd just taken a picture of a dense person shaped shadow in one of the corners but had just as quickly accidentally deleted it. Often after my shift had ended, we'd go up to my night porter flat for a few cans of beer. I could access my flat from the inside of the building but for some reason, the owner didn't like my mate using the same route so I had to let him from the outside. I let him in one night and he asked me who'd followed me up the stairs ? .. he'd been watching from outside through a large stained glass window and swore a woman had been behind me.

The staff found all of this highly amusing, as a Fortean, I was quite excited about it as well although I tried to remain sceptical. One of the waitress's called my flat one lunchtime, apologised (because I was off duty) and told me there were people from a ghost tour organisation at reception who'd been asking questions and would I mind coming downstairs to speak with them .. which I did.

The owner wasn't keen on allowing them to host a night there so I gave them a tour after hours one night on the sly. The lady reckoned I was being followed around by the ghost of a woman, a detail I hadn't told them, that room 10 would sometimes scare people with a reflection of a woman in the mirror, something else I hadn't told them (I took them into a few empty rooms without giving anything away), a woman had once fallen down the bottom flight of stairs by reception but hadn't died, the snooker room used to be a ladies sewing/tapestry room .... when they all sat down in the bar after my tour, the lady in the team called me over and pointed upwards at the light bulb that had just popped directly above her chair.

The most dramatic experience I had came some time after this though. I was sat at the bar, customer side with a pint and a few customers were still hanging on and drinking up. I saw the solid outline of a woman walk across an open doorway, it was almost like a rota scope animation but absolutely dense black .. just like vantablack. I saw it in my direct line of sight so not from the corners of my eyes ..

I stood up straight away assuming this must be the female owner on an unannounced visit and walked towards the direction she was going. The corridor she was walking along has decorative windows in and as she hadn't walked past those, she could have only walked into reception. There was nobody there.

I've worked there recently (last Christmas for just a couple of months) apart from one old guy who sometimes works in the kitchen, neither the new owners or any of the staff I cautiously asked have reported any ghostly goings on at The Red Lion, Cromer.
Quoting myself but it saves time, I've just been chatting with one of the new owners of The Red Lion, he's still not experienced anything ghostly himself there (he's living there at the moment under quarantine) ... he had a woman tell him her husband was pushed out of bed in *drumroll* room 11 .. that used to be called room 10 when I was living there and fielding complaints about the same room except I've never told him that. She's a dead woman who'll lean over your bed or you'll see her in the room's bathroom mirror .. she only appears to men so far for some reason. A medium I gave a crafty tour to told me a woman had tried but failed to commit suicide in that room at the turn of the century.

Watch out, watch out, there's a thespian about

Deceased Actor May Be Haunting the Midland Hotel​

Jocelyne LeBlancAugust 12, 2021
The Midland Hotel in Bradford, England, is reportedly haunted by the ghost of a former actor.

When a ghost hunter named Kenny Charles was conducting an investigation at the Midland Hotel, he captured some interesting evidence as he explained, “I was getting the spirits to do things. I have got a device called a Mel Metre and it has to be touched to be active and how hard it is touched shows a frequency with the lights and the amount of energy going into it. To see if the spirit could hear me I did a countdown from five and he touched it and the heat source went off.”

He added that he believes the spirit of actor Sir Henry Irving haunts the building. The famous stage actor and his manager Bram Stoker were said to have stayed at the hotel while Irving was performing at the Theatre Royal – he was playing the archbishop in Lord Tennyson’s “Beckett”.
https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2021/08/deceased-actor-may-be-haunting-the-midland-hotel/

We are staying in a hotel on Sunday night. If it's not haunted I want a refund.*

*It's not reputed to be haunted but that's beside the point.
The Mrs works at a stunning old hotel that I desperately want to be haunted but I've heard absolutely no reports that it is. The owner's Father still lives in the grounds (he was even born in the hotel in 1936) and he's never heard any reports or experienced anything weird either :( ..

.. to add insult to injury, not only have my team been given full permission and access to do an overnight investigation, the Mrs has the whole place to herself every January, no guests, no staff, keys to the mansion ......... but what's the point if it isn't haunted? .... I wish it was .. it's only about 5 minutes walk from my house as well ..

, the Mrs has the whole place to herself every January, no guests, no staff, keys to the mansion ......... but what's the point if it isn't haunted? .... I wish it was .. it's only about 5 minutes walk from my house as well ..
Apart from the strange woman in Room 237, Mr Grady the caretaker, two twin girls, and the best goddamned bartender from Timbuktu to Portland, Maine. Or Portland, Oregon, for that matter.

The river of 'blood' was rust from a water pipe housekeeping staff told us.

Actually Swifty, we are off on our holly bags to Norfolk next week, after cancelling our previous booked holiday to Portugal.

The missus sorted it out, and I asked her to book us into a nice coastal hotel, with sea views. The hotel must be old, but clean, atmospheric and the most important bit, it must be haunted I said to her cheerfully.

She showed me a picture of the accommodation last night, and I agreed it was in a great location……………not too far from the reception, swimming pool, camp shop, playground and clubhouse.!!!

That’s the last time I ask her to sort the holidays out. :headbang::mad::headbang::mad:

I have just retired from a couple of days in the Brecon Beacons. We passed a castle at Craig-Y-nos which really caught my imagination. it sued to be the one of an Opera singer Adelina Patti who left it to the people of Wales. So I did some extensive research ( Google) and it is apparently one of the most haunted properties in the UK. At the moment it is not taking bookings, but it is really promoting itself as the ultimate venue for ghost hunters with dogs , my question is have nay of you stayed there ? Will I finally see a spook and will my dog have a good time?

I've stayed a couple of nights at the very haunted Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard. It's said to be haunted by a number of spectres, though most notably Marilyn Monroe, who is said to appear in a mirror (now located on the first floor) which was once located in a bungalow that she lived in on the property for a couple of years as well as the bungalow itself.
The other most famous guest is Montgomery Clift, who stayed in room 928 (see pic below) for some months while filming 'From Here to Eternity'.
We stayed on the 10th Floor and had no paranormal experience, though so did pop down to floor number 9 in the hope of seeing Montgomery or hearing his rumoured phantom trumpet playing. No such luck. Anyway, here's the room he stayed in:

928.jpg

Actually Swifty, we are off on our holly bags to Norfolk next week, after cancelling our previous booked holiday to Portugal.

The missus sorted it out, and I asked her to book us into a nice coastal hotel, with sea views. The hotel must be old, but clean, atmospheric and the most important bit, it must be haunted I said to her cheerfully.

She showed me a picture of the accommodation last night, and I agreed it was in a great location……………not too far from the reception, swimming pool, camp shop, playground and clubhouse.!!!

That’s the last time I ask her to sort the holidays out. :headbang::mad::headbang::mad:
Cool. Where are you staying?.

I've stayed a couple of nights at the very haunted Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Hollywood Boulevard. It's said to be haunted by a number of spectres, though most notably Marilyn Monroe, who is said to appear in a mirror (now located on the first floor) which was once located in a bungalow that she lived in on the property for a couple of years as well as the bungalow itself.
The other most famous guest is Montgomery Clift, who stayed in room 928 (see pic below) for some months while filming 'From Here to Eternity'.
We stayed on the 10th Floor and had no paranormal experience, though so did pop down to floor number 9 in the hope of seeing Montgomery or hearing his rumoured phantom trumpet playing. No such luck. Anyway, here's the room he stayed in:

View attachment 43465
That bed looks a bit narrow...

At the moment it is not taking bookings, but it is really promoting itself as the ultimate venue for ghost hunters with dogs
If you don't have a dog, are you allowed to stay there? :D

Back