• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

I seem to remember a comic where Dredd spent the entire story in the bath with his helmet on, and still managed to catch some bad 'uns.

Stallone attempting to shout "I am the law" is 50% funny and 50% cringeworthy...
He did. And a perp broke into his flat so he readjusted his law giver and shot the twat anyway. His helmet was off from memory but he was only drawn from the back of his head.

I had the misfortune of watching that recently, it really was so bad I had to watch it to the end. It was hypnotically bad.
No doubt Michael Caine was well paid for his part in this ruination of one of his best films.
Let's not forget though that Michael Caine agreed to star in Jaws (4) - The Revenge so he's no innocent either. Even he admits he only agreed to it to help pay for a new house.

I seem to remember a comic where Dredd spent the entire story in the bath with his helmet on, and still managed to catch some bad 'uns.

Stallone attempting to shout "I am the law" is 50% funny and 50% cringeworthy...
There was also a story where he spent a long time in hospital all bandaged up in a hospital bed, and still with his helmet on.

Let's not forget though that Michael Caine agreed to star in Jaws (4) - The Revenge so he's no innocent either. Even he admits he only agreed to it to help pay for a new house.
And the Swarm too. He can certainly pick 'em

It seems to me that if Stallone has to say a sentence of more than three words it sounds like he's reading it from a card that he hasn't seen before.
Saying that, Stallone does a moving speech the end of 'First Blood', if you haven't watched it for a while it's worth another watch, I posted it somewhere on here. It appears the video is now unavailable, here it is again,

Saying that, Stallone does a moving speech the end of 'First Blood', if you haven't watched it for a while it's worth another watch, I posted it somewhere on here. It appears the video is now unavailable, here it is again,

One of my favourite movies. I showed it to a friend who didn't want to see it because she had heard about the other Rambo movies but she was in tears at the end. She said she wasn't expecting such a sad film.

Re: The Ghostbusters all-female-remake/reboot/whatever-the-hell-that-was....

I completely agree. I treated that Ghostbusters movie with the same respect I would of any movie that had sub-par trailers.... I waited for it to come out on network TV.

I was disappointed, but not so much for the lackluster script as I was for the director who insinuated that if you didn't like it, your were just a misogynist. That really put me off.

Had it been an entirely different thing, that is, not trying to piggy-back off of the earlier Ghostbusters success, I could at least respect that, but when you vilify anyone who doesn't like it well, you've lost my vote. That being said, I know a lot of people whose daughters really loved it, so I can respect that.

The new one looks "interesting", but I'm not holding my breath. Okay, let's be honest, I am. The trailers (1&2) seem intriguing, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a "kids save the day because the adults don't believe" sort of thing. That would put me off.

It was ok, an oddly watchable yet unfunny big budget studio comedy. The initial trailer made it look appalling where it was merely forgettable. I think the studio and director choosing to weaponise theor response to the online criticism (some of which was misogynist, some was simple nerd rage and some was justified after that trailer) was a mistake and only fuelled the bullshit.

I agree it could/should have been something new but studios seldom greenlight even the cheaper blockbusters without some kind of IP branding and they've been trying to do Ghostbusters 3 since the mid 90s, the gestation for many big Hollywood projects is often lengthy, convoluted and painful. The final product often bears little resemblance to the initial pitch or even the third draft.

The best argument against making a third ( or fourth, fifth...) ghostbusters is Ghostbusters 2, which despite the same creative team is a pale imitation of the first. Lightening did not strike twice. The new one looks somewhat different but that difference is "Let's just be Stranger Things" which in itself a homage to the sorts of IPs of which Ghostbustersxis one. The kids even dress as Ghostbusters in season 2 and they have Finn Wolfhard playing his third iteration of a Stranger Things kid, ye serpent eats itself!

Dune will be interesting, it's an "IP" but mostly known to Scifi nerds, how many of Joe Public know much about it. Maybe the relative lack of competition in these odd times will boost it and I genuinely enjoyed the second trailer but I suspect it will be an expensive flop that may end up being a series on HBO Max rather than a film franchise. Apparently a spinoff is already in development.

The best argument against making a third ( or fourth, fifth...) ghostbusters is Ghostbusters 2, which despite the same creative team is a pale imitation of the first. Lightening did not strike twice. The new one looks somewhat different but that difference is "Let's just be Stranger Things" which in itself a homage to the sorts of IPs of which Ghostbustersxis one. The kids even dress as Ghostbusters in season 2 and they have Finn Wolfhard playing his third iteration of a Stranger Things kid, ye serpent eats itself!
Ghostbusters 2 is on my list of most underrated movies. Not as good as the first, but I think there are some great moments in it. That latest effort left me cold. I have no hopes for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I don't think they know how to make movies like the original these days, and I'd be surprised if they can update the concept effectively.

Speaking of spooky Hollywood remakes nobody asked for, I've just found out that Rob Zombie is making a movie version of The Munsters. That franchise that was never as good as The Addams Family (with which it shall forever be compared). So, I hope that cheers everyone up.

Ghostbusters 2 is on my list of most underrated movies. Not as good as the first, but I think there are some great moments in it. That latest effort left me cold. I have no hopes for Ghostbusters: Afterlife. I don't think they know how to make movies like the original these days, and I'd be surprised if they can update the concept effectively.

Speaking of spooky Hollywood remakes nobody asked for, I've just found out that Rob Zombie is making a movie version of The Munsters. That franchise that was never as good as The Addams Family (with which it shall forever be compared). So, I hope that cheers everyone up.
They made a complete mess of the Bewitched movie (despite Nicole Kidman and Shirley MacClaine being perfectly cast) - the Monsters is going to be a tough make...

It was ok, an oddly watchable yet unfunny big budget studio comedy. The initial trailer made it look appalling where it was merely forgettable. I think the studio and director choosing to weaponise theor response to the online criticism (some of which was misogynist, some was simple nerd rage and some was justified after that trailer) was a mistake and only fuelled the bullshit.

I agree it could/should have been something new but studios seldom greenlight even the cheaper blockbusters without some kind of IP branding and they've been trying to do Ghostbusters 3 since the mid 90s, the gestation for many big Hollywood projects is often lengthy, convoluted and painful. The final product often bears little resemblance to the initial pitch or even the third draft.

Dune will be interesting, it's an "IP" but mostly known to Scifi nerds, how many of Joe Public know much about it. Maybe the relative lack of competition in these odd times will boost it and I genuinely enjoyed the second trailer but I suspect it will be an expensive flop that may end up being a series on HBO Max rather than a film franchise. Apparently a spinoff is already in development.
The "Let's just be Stranger Things" vibe of that trailer is putting me off a bit as well but that might just be because I'm middle aged and need to chill? .. I don't know .. I'd rather watch some punk rock kids finding Ecto 1 than a load of profound before their years floppy haircut dicks .. unlike Return Of The Living Dead type kids. At least the film would be more likely to be fun with punk kids which is what a Ghostbusters film is supposed to be. I don't want to watch some 11 year olds having an existential mid life crisis.

Hopefully I'll be proven completely wrong and we'll get something trying to be as good as The Goonies instead. I know director Jason Reitman is Ivan Reitman's son and I expect he wants to make his late dad proud but I can't help feeling someone like Dan O'Bannon would have done a better job. I'll wait and see.

I have never seen The Goonies.
I saw it once as a child, and when I found out as an adult it's a 'classic' I watched it again. There's some good banter between the kids, who are all great, but generally it's uneven and often hits the wrong notes. I still don't get what the fuss is about with that movie. A sequel has been mired in 'development hell' for years.

I was an adult when it came out. Raiders and stuff like that, yes… Goonies and other kidflicks, no.

I don't think they know how to make movies like the original these days...
The 'Movies That Made Us' series on Netflix has a great Ghostbusters episode, it was total chaos from start to finish basically. Bill Murray only turned up on the first day of shooting, they didn't know if they had a star until that point. Worth a watch, in fact the whole series is.

The 'Movies That Made Us' series on Netflix has a great Ghostbusters episode, it was total chaos from start to finish basically. Bill Murray only turned up on the first day of shooting, they didn't know if they had a star until that point. Worth a watch, in fact the whole series is.
In fact I think that was the first episode I watched. I picked out the movies that I was most interested in, and the ones I saw were eye opening. As with so many great movies, Ghostbusters came so close to disaster so many times.

In fact I think that was the first episode I watched. I picked out the movies that I was most interested in, and the ones I saw were eye opening. As with so many great movies, Ghostbusters came so close to disaster so many times.
The Pretty Woman episode was an eye opener. No one had a clue what was going on or even that they had a movie in the can. Well, maybe Gary Marshall did!

The Pretty Woman episode was an eye opener. No one had a clue what was going on or even that they had a movie in the can. Well, maybe Gary Marshall did!
I didn't see that one as I have no particular memories of the movie. Same with Dirty Dancing. Perhaps I should watch them, too, when i get a mo. The Die Hard episode was good.

I didn't see that one as I have no particular memories of the movie. Same with Dirty Dancing. Perhaps I should watch them, too, when i get a mo. The Die Hard episode was good.
Sounds like you picked the same ones as me! Die Hard, Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park?

I would have watched Home Alone but MrsCarlos hasn't seen it (!!!) so we'll catch her up on the movie first.

Sounds like you picked the same ones as me! Die Hard, Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park?

I would have watched Home Alone but MrsCarlos hasn't seen it (!!!) so we'll catch her up on the movie first.
Yeah, same ones. Actually, the Jurassic Park one was fascinating, too. I'd always assumed that the world had decided by the nineties that stop-motion looked a bit naff, and that Jurassic Park was made on the premise that CGI had finally got good enough. It was certainly sold to us at the time with, 'Look at these pretty dinosaurs!' Turns out, stop-motion died in the process of making that movie. It was a great story.

Ghostbusters 2 is fine and watchable but just isn't very funny, in fact it's barely funny at all. The thing is films like the original are happy accidents and exceptions, I'm not sure what exactly happened to Hollywood or to culture in general but it has become increasingly slick, corporate and homogenous and I think happy accidents are a lot rarer and almost impossible with medium to large budgeted films nowadays. To a great extent you can't blame studios, no one wants to spend $150-300M on a film and roughly the same on marketing to make a loss, or even to just make a small profit, they are trying to eliminate risk. Streaming is potentially a way around this as it is (more or less) guaranteed monthly revenue.

Zombie remaking The Munsters sounds like some kind of nadir, the bottom of barrel has been scraped through. Burton is apparently doing an Addams series for Netflix too.

The "Let's just be Stranger Things" vibe of that trailer is putting me off a bit as well but that might just be because I'm middle aged and need to chill? .. I don't know .. I'd rather watch some punk rock kids finding Ecto 1 than a load of profound before their years floppy haircut dicks .. unlike Return Of The Living Dead type kids. At least the film would be more likely to be fun with punk kids which is what a Ghostbusters film is supposed to be. I don't want to watch some 11 year olds having an existential mid life crisis.

cart hippies.jpg

Ghostbusters 2 is fine and watchable but just isn't very funny, in fact it's barely funny at all. The thing is films like the original are happy accidents and exceptions, I'm not sure what exactly happened to Hollywood or to culture in general but it has become increasingly slick, corporate and homogenous and I think happy accidents are a lot rarer and almost impossible with medium to large budgeted films nowadays. To a great extent you can't blame studios, no one wants to spend $150-300M on a film and roughly the same on marketing to make a loss, or even to just make a small profit, they are trying to eliminate risk. Streaming is potentially a way around this as it is (more or less) guaranteed monthly revenue.

Zombie remaking The Munsters sounds like some kind of nadir, the bottom of barrel has been scraped through. Burton is apparently doing an Addams series for Netflix too.

View attachment 43881
Burton's Addams might go a couple of different ways. I'd rather he focused on original ideas. I found his Dark Shadows a bit pointless. But, in a way, The Addams Family seems made to fit his approach. I just don't think there's a lot of takes left to try on that material.

Burton's Addams might go a couple of different ways. I'd rather he focused on original ideas. I found his Dark Shadows a bit pointless. But, in a way, The Addams Family seems made to fit his approach. I just don't think there's a lot of takes left to try on that material.

It makes complete sense for Burton to do the Addams, no doubt it was a big influence on him and it fits his aesthetic completely; it also fits in with his "lets redo or adapt an existing thing" paradigm that he's been in since 2000 or so. Would it be good if he did something new? Perhaps but also him doing anything good might be a ship that has sailed.

It makes complete sense for Burton to do the Addams, no doubt it was a big influence on him and it fits his aesthetic completely; it also fits in with his "lets redo or adapt an existing thing" paradigm that he's been in since 2000 or so. Would it be good if he did something new? Perhaps but also him doing anything good might be a ship that has sailed.
I think the last thing I saw of Burton's that I've enjoyed was Alice in Wonderland, and I don't think I know anyone else with a good thing to say about that. The last thing of his I saw that I loved was The Corpse Bride.

I think the last thing I saw of Burton's that I've enjoyed was Alice in Wonderland, and I don't think I know anyone else with a good thing to say about that.

And rightly so, mods: permaban for PeteByrdie.

On a serious note, I think you're the only person I've heard/read say it's good. It does seem to be one of those films that is immensely successful and quickly reviled and derided afterwards. Suicide Squad (the first) is another.

And rightly so, mods: permaban for PeteByrdie.

On a serious note, I think you're the only person I've heard/read say it's good. It does seem to be one of those films that is immensely successful and quickly reviled and derided afterwards. Suicide Squad (the first) is another.
I'm not sure I thought it was good. Strangely, I just enjoyed it, and have watched it several times.

Back