• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Can anyone recommend any supernatural drama podcasts or similar? I'd never really bothered with podcasts, but over the past 6 months or so I've gotten myself into the habit of regularly checking the 'Horror and Supernatural' section on BBC Sounds following a random recommendation I saw on here a while back (believe it might have come from @escargot - thank you :))

Unfortunately I keep running out of things to listen to! I'm enjoying both non fiction and fiction, but I'm particularly interested in listening to more supernatural drama i.e. ghost stories, strange tales etc. Can anyone recommend some for me? Or point me in the right direction?

EDIT: If I'm looking for fiction/drama, should I post in a different thread? :thought:

The Black Tapes
Tanis
Rabbits
The Last Movie
The White Vault
The Magnus Archives

Just a handful of drama podcasts I have listened/listen to. Will be back with more once I remember them.

The Black Tapes
Tanis
Rabbits
The Last Movie
The White Vault
The Magnus Archives

Just a handful of drama podcasts I have listened/listen to. Will be back with more once I remember them.

I also love

Lore
Unobscured
Alice isn’t Dead
Spooked
Astonishing Legends
The Parapod

We could do with having a directory of recommended Podcasts in list format.

I do wish there was more family friendly paranormal stuff out there. There's nothing inherently adult about most of it ... but it gets lumped in with adult themes most of the time.
I get what you mean. I love paranormal podcasts but I live alone, in a very quiet village, next door to a graveyard. None of these are inherently scary, but late at night when it's dark and things are creaking.... I don't like horror, I'm not into bloodthirsty, I just want quietly spooky true tales (like the best of IHTM in the mag), things that make you think rather than barricade yourself into your home with a loaded shotgun and a Bible.

Can anyone recommend any supernatural drama podcasts or similar? I'd never really bothered with podcasts, but over the past 6 months or so I've gotten myself into the habit of regularly checking the 'Horror and Supernatural' section on BBC Sounds following a random recommendation I saw on here a while back (believe it might have come from @escargot - thank you :))

Unfortunately I keep running out of things to listen to! I'm enjoying both non fiction and fiction, but I'm particularly interested in listening to more supernatural drama i.e. ghost stories, strange tales etc. Can anyone recommend some for me? Or point me in the right direction?

EDIT: If I'm looking for fiction/drama, should I post in a different thread? :thought:
Pseudopod is where you need to go https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/pseudopod/id179911785?i=1000525019396

Haunted Road

https://www.grimandmild.com/hauntedroad

The host talks to people about their experiences living or working in a haunted location. Amy Bruni is a host of a famous Ghost Hunting show apparently, I've no idea what that show is like but she's actually a pretty good interviewer. The host has also visited the locations so there's a useful familiarity with the places and her guests.

So it's only episode 3 in but it's pretty good. The locations, (apart from episode 2 with the Lizzie Borden houses), won't be familiar with folk outside of the US. The people interviewed have a deep intimacy with the location whether they are caretakers, custodians, or owners. Each one shares their own experiences.

The host and interviewee seem to have a certain respect for each other so I'm thinking this Amy might be quite a reasonable person.

Well worth a listen if like me you enjoy first-hand accounts without the razzmatazz of podcasts like Real Ghost Stories Online. It's quieter and atmospheric akin to podcasts like Knock Once for Yes.

Haunted Road

https://www.grimandmild.com/hauntedroad

The host talks to people about their experiences living or working in a haunted location. Amy Bruni is a host of a famous Ghost Hunting show apparently, I've no idea what that show is like but she's actually a pretty good interviewer. The host has also visited the locations so there's a useful familiarity with the places and her guests.

So it's only episode 3 in but it's pretty good. The locations, (apart from episode 2 with the Lizzie Borden houses), won't be familiar with folk outside of the US. The people interviewed have a deep intimacy with the location whether they are caretakers, custodians, or owners. Each one shares their own experiences.

The host and interviewee seem to have a certain respect for each other so I'm thinking this Amy might be quite a reasonable person.

Well worth a listen if like me you enjoy first-hand accounts without the razzmatazz of podcasts like Real Ghost Stories Online. It's quieter and atmospheric akin to podcasts like Knock Once for Yes.

Subscribed! Sounds interesting. I've watched Amy on many a ghost hunting show and she always appears to be rather level headed and not one to get caught up in the moment.

This one seems good:
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/atlantic

In June 2009, a man calling himself Peter Bergmann checked into a Sligo hotel.

Five days later his body was found on Rosses Point beach. Despite thousands of hours of police investigations, his true identity remains unknown.

In a three-part podcast, Irish Times Senior Features Writer Rosita Boland explores in detail the decade-long mystery of a man who came to Sligo to disappear

I have just listened to https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-unexplained-with-howard-hughes/id155963493?i=1000534299785
with Ciaran O’Keene.

Ciaran makes some very interesting observations regarding mediums, the Battersea Poltergeist and remote viewing.

I must admit, after being a dedicated follower of this podcast, I very rarely listen to it these days as it has become very USA centric and some of the guests make such unchallenged incredulous claims that I found myself turning it off more often than listening through. I do look in every now and then and am sometimes rewarded with a an interesting episode such as the the one on the link above.

I know Ciaran O’Keefe isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I found this particular episode quite enjoyable.

I have just listened to https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-unexplained-with-howard-hughes/id155963493?i=1000534299785
with Ciaran O’Keene.

Ciaran makes some very interesting observations regarding mediums, the Battersea Poltergeist and remote viewing.

I must admit, after being a dedicated follower of this podcast, I very rarely listen to it these days as it has become very USA centric and some of the guests make such unchallenged incredulous claims that I found myself turning it off more often than listening through. I do look in every now and then and am sometimes rewarded with a an interesting episode such as the the one on the link above.

I know Ciaran O’Keefe isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I found this particular episode quite enjoyable.
Ciaran will be speaking at this months EdFort and there will be an opportunity to ask him questions.

Ciaran will be speaking at this months EdFort and there will be an opportunity to ask him questions.

I can't get past his lazy, (and that's being charitable), explanation of some nurses' reactions to a hospital-based haunting. Lost all respect after that.

My favourite weird happenings are ones that happen in the great outdoors. Unsurprisingly, America has lots of these.

Two podcasts with real life listener stories I have been enjoying are Darkness Prevails and The Dark Swamp.

From memory, it was that 3 ICU nurses had gotten freaked out by a patient's death and had some form of mini mass hysteria. Because ICU nurses lose their shit when someone dies. :rolleyes:

Was that all there was to it? Were there exceptional circumstances that might have freaked out even experienced nurses. I know nothing about this and am just curious, I agree that, generally and overwhelmingly ICU nurses, or even nurses in general, are not going to freak out simply because a patient has died.

with Ciaran O’Keene.

It depends on the guest with him, he has some nutters on and they are free given free range to spout bullshit. I only listened occasionally and haven't for some time.

I'm going to give this a go. Over the past year I've been all about the true crime podcasts - True Crime Garage, Trail Went Cold, Trace Evidence and Crime Junkie recently, despite their plagiarism accusations....But man, this stuff gets really depressing after a time so something about good old fashioned hauntings will be very welcome.

...The name Danny Robins in this month's Fortean Times (April 2021 - FT 404) rang a bell. I realised that I'd bookmarked his podcast, Haunted, way back - having listened to, and really enjoyed, the first episode - and then, for some inexplicable reason, forgotten about it.

So this morning, while tidying the workshop, I binged on a few more. Really well done, I think - and very enjoyable.

However, one of the reasons I actually felt stimulated to sit down and write this now - is that an experience related in one particular episode actually sent a genuine icy shiver down my spine; a proper 'fuckmyoldboots!!' moment, and no mistake - and on as nice and sunny and light a morning as you could imagine!

I am not going to elucidate - apart from to state that it's not a run of the mill ghost. If you're interested, you'll have to dive in. The episodes aren't that long, and there aren't that many (unfortunately).

Here be Haunted.

Danny Robins - of the above podcast and the BBC radio series The Battersea Poltergeist - has a new radio series: Uncanny.

Just one episode so far, with a cracking story at its heart.

In Haunted, Robins had a knack for picking convincing and sympathetic witnesses. He's also good a providing other more sceptical viewpoints without falling back on them as actual explanations. Judging from this first episode, I think he'll be following the pattern established in the older podcast - and I'm very much looking forward to the rest.

This episode struck a chord. I like stories that take place in apparently incongruous modern settings. It also bought back memories of my own possible polt experience in student accommodation - related elsewhere on the forum, and thankfully much less frightening. (I've also just finished Joseph Knox's novel, True Crime Story - the setting for which is very similar to that in the broadcast, and although a crime novel it manages to turn a relatively bland concrete tower block full of students into somewhere that can, under the right/wrong circumstances, feel distinctly uncanny.)

Uncanny / Case 1: The Evil in Room 611.

Definitely worth half an hour of your time.

I've just listened to the Uncanny podcast and can only agree - this is great, what a story! And from a scientist, too. No spoilers, but the interviewee is a very fine storyteller (though not in a contrived way). If the rest of the series is this good, it'll be a modern classic of the form. Nice to hear FT's Rev Peter Laws involved, too.

Also, hat tip to @MorningAngel for alerting this podcast was out in the Reminders thread - do you (or anyone here) know when the next episode is out and how many episodes there are? Can't wait!

I've just listened to the Uncanny podcast and can only agree - this is great, what a story! And from a scientist, too. No spoilers, but the interviewee is a very fine storyteller (though not in a contrived way). If the rest of the series is this good, it'll be a modern classic of the form. Nice to hear FT's Rev Peter Laws involved, too.

Also, hat tip to @MorningAngel for alerting this podcast was out in the Reminders thread - do you (or anyone here) know when the next episode is out and how many episodes there are? Can't wait!

Fifteen, apparently.

Hold on...FIFTEEN?!

Well, that's me sorted until Christmas.

I think they are broadcast late Saturday nights, but can't swear to that. (Edit: Yes - Saturday nights at 23.30.)

If you can't wait for Saturday, I would repeat my recommendation of his older podcast. Be warned, though - If you're anything like me, you will probably want to gobble the lot down in one go.

(Even just thinking about The Thing in the Attic still gives me major goosebumps.)

Fifteen? Cool. I suppose that includes the feedback shows, mind you. He did say it was going to be the biggest paranormal survey of all time (or something) in the intro.

Danny Robins - of the above podcast and the BBC radio series The Battersea Poltergeist - has a new radio series: Uncanny.

Just one episode so far, with a cracking story at its heart.

In Haunted, Robins had a knack for picking convincing and sympathetic witnesses. He's also good a providing other more sceptical viewpoints without falling back on them as actual explanations. Judging from this first episode, I think he'll be following the pattern established in the older podcast - and I'm very much looking forward to the rest.

This episode struck a chord. I like stories that take place in apparently incongruous modern settings. It also bought back memories of my own possible polt experience in student accommodation - related elsewhere on the forum, and thankfully much less frightening. (I've also just finished Joseph Knox's novel, True Crime Story - the setting for which is very similar to that in the broadcast, and although a crime novel it manages to turn a relatively bland concrete tower block full of students into somewhere that can, under the right/wrong circumstances, feel distinctly uncanny.)

Uncanny / Case 1: The Evil in Room 611.

Definitely worth half an hour of your time.
Very good. Some of our skeptical posters should take a look at it.

Back