• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World Records (Miscellaneous)

Two Egyptian siblings are affected by gigantism. Each of them has been recently certified as Guinness World Record holders.
Egyptian siblings claim five records including largest feet and hands

... {S}ome people are born with their talents and features and achieve recognition thanks to their incredible human form.

This is the case for siblings Mohamed and Huda Shehata (both Egypt). ...

With hands larger than a dinner plate, 34-year-old Mohamed has achieved the record title for the widest hand span on a living person (male) with 31.3 cm (12.32 in) on his left hand.

In addition, he also has the widest arm span on a living person (male) measuring a massive 250.3 cm (8 ft 2.5 in). ...

Huda, Mohamed's sister, has also had three record-breaking features confirmed:

Largest feet on a living person (female) - 33.1 cm (1 ft 1.02 in) on her right foot
Largest hands on a living person (female) - 24.3 cm (9.56 in) on her left hand
Widest arm span on a living person for a female - 236.3 cm (7 ft 8.4 in)

Both siblings live with their mother, Mrs. Rouhiy, in a small village 90 minutes outside the Egyptian capital, Cairo.

They are believed to have a benign tumour in their pituitary glands that causes an excess production of growth hormones. ....
FULL STORY: https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co...cords-including-largest-feet-and-hands-663739

Not sure of the location
BROAD Group is a Chinese company. They've performed similar quick building erections in recent years. As to this particular 10-story project:
This high-rise building was assembled in 28 hours and 45 minutes in Changsha, China, using prefabricated building modules
SOURCE (With More Details): https://newatlas.com/architecture/broad-group-prefab-high-rise/

See Also: https://www.treehugger.com/10-story-apartment-building-assembled-in-one-day-5188972

Sad news.

A 28-year-old daredevil has died in the US state of Washington after crashing while trying to break the world record for the longest motorcycle ramp jump.

Officials said Alex Harvill died after an accident during a practice run on Thursday morning. He was planning to attempt the 351ft (107m) jump in front of spectators at the Moses Lake Airshow. A video of the incident shows his motorcycle landing shy of the intended target and crashing into a dirt mound.

Local newspaper, the Columbia Basin Herald, said Mr Harvill appeared to have been thrown over the handlebars and lost his helmet during the crash. Organisers of the Moses Lake Airshow originally said Harvill had been taken to hospital with injuries, but a spokesman from the local police later confirmed he had died.

"Our deepest sympathies go out to Alex's family, friends and loved ones," the Grant County Sheriff's Office said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57525241

Is there a world in which `Record Breaking Motorcycle Jump` doesnt equate to `SPLAT`??

Cant they do the Wall of Death like an old friend of mine?

Vid at lnk.

The world record for the tallest stack of M&M's has been taken to new heights by a civil engineer from Solihull.

Will Cutbill, 23, managed to balance five of the chocolate sweets on top of each other. This breaks the previous record of four that was jointly held by two men from Italy and Australia.

During the UK's third lockdown, bored at home on a rainy day while eating a bag of M&M's, Will got the idea of balancing them on top of each other.

After a quick search on the internet, he discovered the record was four M&M's stacked on top of each other. Determined to beat this, he spent hours on hundreds of attempts.

Now, the Exeter University graduate said he had achieved his childhood dream of becoming a Guinness World Record holder and could not be prouder.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-57671715

I wonder if there's a chestnut eating competition.

Chowdown champ Joey “Jaws” Chestnut broke his own record to gulp a 14th win in the men’s Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest on Sunday, while Michelle Lesco took the women’s title.

Chestnut downed 76 franks and buns in 10 minutes. That is one more than he did in setting the men’s record last year, when the contest unfolded without fans because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“It just felt good,” Chestnut, of Westfield, Indiana, said in an ESPN interview after his win. “Even if I was uncomfortable, having everybody cheer me and push me, it made me feel good.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40329290.html

A New York man has demonstrated a table tennis / ping pong ball can be served from as far as 51 feet away from the table ...
New York man hits world's longest table tennis serve

Guinness World Records confirmed a New York man successfully set a record for the longest table tennis serve.

Eric Finkelstein took on the world record this month at the Westchester Table Tennis Center in Pleasantville. ...

Finkelstein made three attempts at the record, surpassing the previous record of 14 feet, 9 inches each time. His final attempt totaled 51 feet, 1 inch. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-tennis-serve-Eric-Finkelstein/1641627406352/

I hope they don't get tired.

Attempts at breaking and setting nine world tyre-flipping records are being made in Newcastle.

Phil Pugh and Paul Hopkins, from North Tyneside, have organised a one-hour continuous flip, a number of women's and men's sprints and a relay.

Mr Hopkins, a retired firefighter, will also be part of a team flipping a 100kg tyre for 12 hours to raise funds for two children's charities.

The 57-year-old said it was about "putting something back".

"It's no good sitting back and waiting for other people to do things otherwise things don't get done," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-58207214

I hope they don't get tired.

Attempts at breaking and setting nine world tyre-flipping records are being made in Newcastle.

Phil Pugh and Paul Hopkins, from North Tyneside, have organised a one-hour continuous flip, a number of women's and men's sprints and a relay.

Mr Hopkins, a retired firefighter, will also be part of a team flipping a 100kg tyre for 12 hours to raise funds for two children's charities.

The 57-year-old said it was about "putting something back".

"It's no good sitting back and waiting for other people to do things otherwise things don't get done," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-58207214
This morning, I was watching some really strong men doing this with huge tractor tyres.
I struggle to do it with even a small tyre.

One of the companies I work with has set another record.

We are already in the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest journey of an ebike on a single charge... 367 Kms.

Now the Bonneville salt flats have given us another accolade.

https://newatlas-com.cdn.ampproject...nepr-electric-motorcycle-bonneville/?amp=true
I don’t mean to sound disparaging but I’m surprised the 107 mph speed record isn’t higher. I suppose the limitation is the amount of batteries a bike can carry.

228 miles is pretty impressive, albeit in a velodrome, for distance covered on the other e-bike. What sort of speed did it do setting the record & assuming it’s also pedal powered, was pedalling involved? Did the rider pretty much pedal the whole distance?

I don’t mean to sound disparaging but I’m surprised the 107 mph speed record isn’t higher. I suppose the limitation is the amount of batteries a bike can carry.

228 miles is pretty impressive, albeit in a velodrome, for distance covered on the other e-bike. What sort of speed did it do setting the record & assuming it’s also pedal powered, was pedalling involved? Did the rider pretty much pedal the whole distance?
No pedals, the Guinness guys insisted we remove them so it was all battery power at an average 15 Kmh for the whole distance.

They are 5 MW in motor output so at full speed they reach 80 Kmh.

Weirdly enough they are completely road legal in the USA from age 14 upwards.

We have sold a lot of them to US police forces and other professional types such as forestry management wardens and inner city food delivery companies.

They will be available in Europe after approvals from the EU transport Nazis from Q1 next year but of course the rider will need a crash helmet, number plate and insurance.

Although on the plus side the fuel bill is zero

No pedals, the Guinness guys insisted we remove them so it was all battery power at an average 15 Kmh for the whole distance.

They are 5 MW in motor output so at full speed they reach 80 Kmh.

Weirdly enough they are completely road legal in the USA from age 14 upwards.

We have sold a lot of them to US police forces and other professional types such as forestry management wardens and inner city food delivery companies.

They will be available in Europe after approvals from the EU transport Nazis from Q1 next year but of course the rider will need a crash helmet, number plate and insurance.

Was it a team or did one man ride the bloody thing for the whole 24+ hours? Round & round & round & round & round….

Was it a team or did one man ride the bloody thing for the whole 24+ hours? Round & round & round & round & round….
They enlisted the services of Queen.

Electricity is free? Who keeps sending me these bills?

coal-power.png

maximus otter

Electricity is free? Who keeps sending me these bills?

coal-power.png

maximus otter

I did not write electricity is free, I am well aware that it needs to be paid for.

I wrote the fuel bill is zero. Fuel meaning petrol, gasoline and so on. For example the owner of a 50cc moped used regularly for food delivery or courier work will run up an annual fuel bill (petrol, gasoline etc) of around Euro 2,500+ per year. Plus lubricating oil plus maintenance replacing all those moving parts.

Our electric bike costs around Euro 0.15c to charge overnight on cheap tariff and that Euro 0.15c will give you 360KMs of distance depending on how it is ridden. As the motor is enclosed in the wheel hub, there is no clutch and no internal gearbox meaning less moving parts meaning less maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an old Irish curse: May Ye Be Showered With Shite! At least this guy would have some protection if it befell him!

A man obsessed with Guinness world records balances 101 rolls of toilet paper on his head

Mr. David Rush has a wonderful talent for scouring the Guinness Book of World Records and finding crazy achievements wherein he may usurp the title.

Most recently Rush became the king of balancing rolls of TP on one's head.

Rush's slicing of limes with a katana whilst riding a balance board is also of interest. Apparently, he breaks a new record every week. How long until he is the entire book?

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/18/a...es-101-rolls-of-toilet-paper-on-his-head.html

Rush's slicing of limes with a katana whilst riding a balance board is also of interest. Apparently, he breaks a new record every week. How long until he is the entire book?

He still has some way to go to beat Ashrita Furman. Who I thought was dead, but apparently not. I may be getting him confused with Sri Chinmoy.

Furman began breaking records to demonstrate the power of meditation and to inspire others. So what's Rush's motivation? Well some reports say he started to promote STEM education. Seems rather hidden behind all the juggling and balancing, so I think it's now a similar message to Furman: you can achieve anything if you put in the time and effort. And spend less time watching youtube videos.

oxo

Here's a timely record stunt. A hospital in Mumbai vaccinated over 30,000 people in a single week.
Hospital in India vaccinates 30,000 in one week, earns Guinness record

A Mumbai hospital teamed up with an insurance company to break a Guinness World Record and vaccinate more than 30,000 people in one week.

Surana Sethia Hospital, in partnership with insurance company ICICI Lombard, set the Guinness record by registering 30,467 people to receive their COVID-19 vaccinations Aug. 7-14. All of the people who registered were vaccinated on the spot, the hospital said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...a-Sethia-Hospital-Mumbai-India/8711629484172/

Here's the Guinness entry for the event ...

Most people to sign up for a vaccination in one week

The most people to sign up for a vaccination in one week is 30,274 and was achieved by ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited and Surana Sethia Hospitals (both India) in Mumbai, India from 7 to 14 August 2021.

The participants signed up at two locations in Mumbai and they were administered the vaccine immediately without any charges. The attempt started at 9am on 7th August and the organisers finished it prior to completion of the 7th day, at 4pm on 13th August.
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co...ople-to-sign-up-for-a-vaccination-in-one-week

Found this impressive clip from the world of competitive flatulence.

I love how proud he looks when he says he's been practicing all his life in parking lots with friends.

Found this impressive clip from the world of competitive flatulence.

I love how proud he looks when he says he's been practicing all his life in parking lots with friends.
My brother and his colleagues would practice shave and a haircut belches. Those long railway shifts just flew by.

My brother and his colleagues would practice shave and a haircut belches. Those long railway shifts just flew by.

Maybe that's why I've never got anywhere in life: too much time spent frivolously when I should have been putting in the hours of burping practice.

This is fairly bonkers-

Dario Costa set a new Guinness World Record when he piloted a small aircraft through a set of narrow tunnels in Turkey.

Not content with smashing one record, the 41-year-old aviator chose a tunnel split into two sections.

He said: ‘I’d never flown in a tunnel in my life – nobody had ever done it – so there was a big question mark in my head whether everything would go as we expected.

Mr Costa had to keep the plane hovering just above the road to make sure he didn’t clip the concrete walls and crash to an almost certain death.

When inside the tunnel, there was only about four meters between the tip of each wing and the concrete walls.

The most dangerous part came when he briefly emerged into the open air gap between the tunnels and his aircraft was battered by crosswinds.

The stunt set at least five records, with the pilot also becoming the first to take off inside a tunnel and the longest and fastest flights in a tunnel.

He said: ‘Everything seemed to be happening so fast, but when I got out of the first tunnel, the plane started to move to the right because of the crosswinds and in my head, everything slowed down in that moment.

‘I reacted and just focused on getting the plane back on the right path to enter the other tunnel. Then in my mind, everything sped up all over again.’

A team of 40 support staff were involved in the flight, which covered 2.26km in less than 44 seconds.

I’m not sure what’s going on at 46 secs on the video - the camera at this point appears not to be attached to the plane.

Back