• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Newly Discovered: Previously Disputed Or Merely Alleged Species

The article mentions Ebird app, which I have used. I just do my backyard feeder watching, but the app is very good and is connected with Cornell University in the US. Any birder can use the app and can submit their bird watching lists through the app directly to the university. Ebird is used world wide and the information collected is shared with other bird conservation agencies world wide.

I'm getting message "server can't be found". Is that due to country that I'm trying to access it from?

How about this link?

New species of rock-eating shipworm identified in freshwater river in the Philippines​

International team of researchers studying biodiversity with an eye toward developing new drugs​

Date: June 19, 2019

Source: University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Summary: A newly identified genus and species of worm-like, freshwater clam, commonly known as a shipworm, eats rock and expels sand as scat while it burrows like an ecosystem engineer in the Abatan River in the Philippines.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190619142551.htm

How about this link?

New species of rock-eating shipworm identified in freshwater river in the Philippines​

International team of researchers studying biodiversity with an eye toward developing new drugs​

Date: June 19, 2019

Source: University of Massachusetts at Amherst

Summary: A newly identified genus and species of worm-like, freshwater clam, commonly known as a shipworm, eats rock and expels sand as scat while it burrows like an ecosystem engineer in the Abatan River in the Philippines.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190619142551.htm
Yep. It's accessible. Thanks @ramonmercado

I'm getting message "server can't be found". Is that due to country that I'm trying to access it from?
Maybe ... I'm able to access it from the USA with no issues.

The original link from lordmangrove now works for me:dunno:
Might have had an issue with the facebook clunkage at the end. In the future you can delete that off the link as a troubleshooting measure (the ?fbclid and everything after).

The red, blind, swamp eels of Mumbai.
https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news...w-eel-species-discovered-in-mumbai-well-79461

0.24553900_1633004904_20210930_132210-(1).jpg

‘No one knew they existed’: wild heirs of lost British honeybee found at Blenheim.

Thousands of rare forest honeybees that appear to be the last wild descendants of Britain’s native honeybee population have been discovered in the ancient woodlands of Blenheim Palace.

The newly discovered subspecies, or ecotype, of honeybee is smaller, furrier and darker than the honeybees found in managed beehives, and is believed to be related to the indigenous wild honeybees that foraged the English countryside for centuries. Until now, it was presumed all these bees had been completely wiped out by disease and competition from imported species.
(c) The Guardian '21

New species of Tarantula discovered in Thailand

The tarantula lives in high hill forests in the northern part of Thailand, at an elevation of about 1,000 meters.

"These animals are truly remarkable; they are the first known tarantulas ever with a bamboo-based ecology," said Narin Chomphuphuang, a researcher at Khon Kaen University's department of entomology and plant pathology in Thailand, in a blog post.
Chomphuphuang said making its home in bamboo had many advantages for the spider. Bamboo contains moisture that helps the spider maintain its temperature -- especially important for tarantulas, which molt and shed their exoskeleton. The slippery surface of the bamboo also deters predators.

"We examined all of the trees in the area where the species was discovered. This species is unique because it is associated with bamboo, and we have never observed this tarantula species in any other plant," he said in a news release.

Taksinus bambus has adapted to life in the hollow stems of bamboo by constructing tube-shaped borrows with its silk as nest entrances. It also constructs silken tubes inside the bamboo into which it can retreat.

The tarantulas do not bore holes into the bamboo stems themselves. Instead, they depend on the assistance of other animals.

Bamboo is attacked by numerous animals, including beetles and worms, the study said. Or sometimes the bamboo cracks open as a result of changes in humidity.
1642686853966.png

British tourist spots three species thought to have been extinct
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/othe...PXQ6N8YnqKbr-TASpVRCwUQVRaqNxUQt9gugr3C4rlVjU
Article could have done with some better editing:

"While on a four-week holiday in Papua New Guinea, Michael Smith, 51, spotted a Louisiade pitta – not seen since 1916 – and a family barbecuing a Telefomin Cuscus, which was feared extinct after a 1997 forest fire killed the oak trees where they live in the Nong River Valley."

Glad that he found the barbecuing family was not extinct.

New to western eyes in 2017, a giant coconut eating rat which lives in the tree tops. Natives have long known about the "new" rat species, but westerners were doubtful.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...20191226&rid=0D7033D6A71F4261B979431AB4F9AA26

The giant rat might soon be extinct.

One of Earth’s largest rats is also among its most endangered. Researchers have discovered that four individuals of the Vangunu giant rat (Uromys vika) survive in the wild, but even they may soon disappear.

The rodent lives in the tropical forests of its namesake island of Vangunu, part of the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific Ocean. Although it’s twice the size of the common black rat, researchers had never been able to study it. The giant rat makes its nests within ferns that grow on lowland trees. According to local knowledge, it can gnaw into green coconuts, but nothing more about its diet is known.

The first specimen known to science was collected from a logging operation in 2015, where it had crawled out of felled tree and then died. It was the first new rodent species discovered in the islands in more than 80 years.

In a study published this month in Ecology and Evolution, researchers describe their search for other members of the species. They placed cameras 10 meters to 20 meters high up on trees within a nearby forest, known as the Zaira Conservation Resource Management Area, and filled lures with sesame oil to attract animals. The team spotted one male and two female giant rats—the species has a distinctive long tail and short ears—in images from one camera, including the one seen above. A camera 2 kilometers away recorded another female. Because of the distance between the cameras, the scientists assume that four or more rats are present.

https://www.science.org/content/article/may-be-one-last-giant-rats-vangunu

Back