• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Grandfather Discovers 17-foot Mediaeval Well Under Living Room.

A grandfather who spent the last decade digging out a 17ft-deep medieval well in his living room floor has found a coin from 1725.

44769083-9732709-Colin_Steer_pictured_70_discovered_the_well_after_he_noticed_a_d-m-11_1624892373312.jpg

Colin Steer, 70, discovered the well after he noticed a dip in the floor of the living room in his Victorian home in Plymouth, Devon, while redecorating 34 years ago.

At the time he had three small children running around so his wife Vanessa asked him to cover it back up, but when he retired in 2012 he took it on as a project and started digging.

44769099-9732709-He_recently_found_a_ring_and_a_coin_from_1725_pictured_and_hopes-a-2_1624901238175.jpg

Mr Steer discovered a sword five feet below the soil, leading him to believe it could date back to medieval times, and he said site plans suggest record of the well in the 1500s.

Of the sword, he previously said: ‘It was hidden at a 45 degree angle and sort of just fell out.

44769117-9732709-Mr_Steer_discovered_a_sword_five_feet_below_the_soil_leading_him-m-17_1624892543182.jpg

‘It looks like an old peasant’s fighting weapon because it appears to be made up of bits of metal all knocked together.’

The couple's grandchildren love to look down the hole through the sheet of Perspex and Mr Steer said it was a great talking point with his neighbours.

“lt is a good thing to show off to people as it is not something that you see every day. I have actually even tried some of the water that is at the bottom of the well. It was really clear and tasted fine to me.

'I am going to get it tested for bacteria and if everything came back good then I could even bottle it up and sell it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...7ft-medieval-living-room-finds-1725-coin.html

maximus otter

A grandfather who spent the last decade digging out a 17ft-deep medieval well in his living room floor has found a coin from 1725.

44769083-9732709-Colin_Steer_pictured_70_discovered_the_well_after_he_noticed_a_d-m-11_1624892373312.jpg

Colin Steer, 70, discovered the well after he noticed a dip in the floor of the living room in his Victorian home in Plymouth, Devon, while redecorating 34 years ago.

At the time he had three small children running around so his wife Vanessa asked him to cover it back up, but when he retired in 2012 he took it on as a project and started digging.

44769099-9732709-He_recently_found_a_ring_and_a_coin_from_1725_pictured_and_hopes-a-2_1624901238175.jpg

Mr Steer discovered a sword five feet below the soil, leading him to believe it could date back to medieval times, and he said site plans suggest record of the well in the 1500s.

Of the sword, he previously said: ‘It was hidden at a 45 degree angle and sort of just fell out.

44769117-9732709-Mr_Steer_discovered_a_sword_five_feet_below_the_soil_leading_him-m-17_1624892543182.jpg

‘It looks like an old peasant’s fighting weapon because it appears to be made up of bits of metal all knocked together.’

The couple's grandchildren love to look down the hole through the sheet of Perspex and Mr Steer said it was a great talking point with his neighbours.

“lt is a good thing to show off to people as it is not something that you see every day. I have actually even tried some of the water that is at the bottom of the well. It was really clear and tasted fine to me.

'I am going to get it tested for bacteria and if everything came back good then I could even bottle it up and sell it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...7ft-medieval-living-room-finds-1725-coin.html

maximus otter
I'd put a pair of glowing red eyes down that hole then sit back and enjoy the fun when people look down :)

A whole village for a bargain price! I want it!
Wasn't Burgh village recently up for grabs?
Y'got Burgh Island off the Devon (?) coast, beloved of many a tv/film location (such as Evil Under the Sun) which is linked by a short-lived causway or an old diesel stilt-tractor. Last I saw on the news, the mainland village it was connected to was looking for a buyer.

Wasn't Burgh village recently up for grabs?
Y'got Burgh Island off the Devon (?) coast, beloved of many a tv/film location (such as Evil Under the Sun) which is linked by a short-lived causway or an old diesel stilt-tractor. Last I saw on the news, the mainland village it was connected to was looking for a buyer.
Is 5hat the island with the deco hotel on it, i think was used in an episode of 'Poirot'

Yes itis, Ive been to the island (yes, even by sea tractor) several times but never in the hotel
I saw a programme years ago where the new owner wete renovating it back to its full Art Deco glory, its a beautiful hotel (or was when they finished) im a big fan of Art Deco.

Burgh Island did find a buyer as the new owner keeps popping up on the local news, mostly to comment on the state of hospitality post-lockdown. Bigbury-on-Sea is our beach of choice, so I'm very familiar with the silhouette of the island as I wait for the family mermaids to come back out of the sea for their food.

My parents had their house built on a plot of land where an old cottage used to stand, but my dad said there was a well somewhere underneath the living room. If that's true, it's been covered by a whole load of cement for the last 40-plus years, so I doubt it's going to see the light of day anytime soon.

Urban explorer's creepy finds in an old abandoned house

Urban explorer finds skeleton of family cat and creepy doll in Scots house abandoned for 50 years​

The eerie family house in Scotland, believed to have been abandoned in the 1970s, was discovered by Adam Mark who went digging through its decaying rooms.

URBAN EXPLORER DISCOVERS ABANDONED HOME IN THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS

An urban explorer uncovered the mummified remains of a family cat in an abandoned home in the Scottish Highlands left frozen in time for 50 years.
The eerie family house, believed to have been abandoned in the 1970s, was discovered by Adam Mark who went digging through its decaying rooms for his YouTube videos.

228092837_461269088655067_3192914468274470401_njpeg.jpg

Urban explorer Adam Mark went digging through the abandoned house
The history of the house and its exact location in Scotland is not known, but there is a possibility that this house was once a crime scene as police tape still remains outside.
The explorer described the atmosphere as “dark and eerie” and the silence put him on edge before he made some horrifying discoveries.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/urban-explorer-finds-skeleton-family-24679025

China’s Massive, Uninhabited Ghost Cities

Extravagant monuments, spacious parks, modern buildings, and interconnected roads would all seem to indicate a bustling metropolis. But in China, there is an increasing number of uninhabited "ghost" cities that seem to have been abandoned after years of construction.

chenggong-yunnan-china.jpg

It is unclear how many of these Chinese ghost cities currently exist, but estimates put the number as high as 50 municipalities.

Some of these cities have yet to be completed while others are fully functioning metropolises, save for the lack of residents. The occurrence of these ghost cities across China has, unsurprisingly, attracted significant attention from international observers.

iu

"All of them are bizarre, all of them are surreal. There's no other way to describe a city meant for thousands of people that's just completely empty," explained Samuel Stevenson-Yang, a photographer working to document this modern Chinese phenomenon.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/chinese-ghost-cities#30

maximus otter

maximus otter

I love the way he tasted the water before getting it properly tested. Good man, that's the spirit!

China’s Massive, Uninhabited Ghost Cities

Extravagant monuments, spacious parks, modern buildings, and interconnected roads would all seem to indicate a bustling metropolis. But in China, there is an increasing number of uninhabited "ghost" cities that seem to have been abandoned after years of construction.

chenggong-yunnan-china.jpg

It is unclear how many of these Chinese ghost cities currently exist, but estimates put the number as high as 50 municipalities.

Some of these cities have yet to be completed while others are fully functioning metropolises, save for the lack of residents. The occurrence of these ghost cities across China has, unsurprisingly, attracted significant attention from international observers.

iu

"All of them are bizarre, all of them are surreal. There's no other way to describe a city meant for thousands of people that's just completely empty," explained Samuel Stevenson-Yang, a photographer working to document this modern Chinese phenomenon.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/chinese-ghost-cities#30

maximus otter
yeah, I heard that it's the government style in China( IE totalitarian dictatorship) that causes this. they have people planning urban development in large scales and building things... but different people deciding who lives where. Or something like that. I don't know the details, and I have to wonder who does... if anyone. It's probably the only nation on Earth that could do something like this, since nowhere else does the government on the national level literally decide where to build cities.

yeah, I heard that it's the government style in China( IE totalitarian dictatorship) that causes this. they have people planning urban development in large scales and building things... but different people deciding who lives where. Or something like that. I don't know the details, and I have to wonder who does... if anyone. It's probably the only nation on Earth that could do something like this, since nowhere else does the government on the national level literally decide where to build cities.
I think N. Korea started something similar, build huge cities and massive highways that nobody uses.
I seem to remember with China, the plan was to house everyone from the little traditional villages and small towns in huge metropolis' but the population didn't like the idea and in a rare occurrence in China just ignored the idea, leaving these cities mostly empty.

Highway in N. Korea

pyongyang-north-korea-little-traffic-on-a-large-main-road-P30FP8.jpg

https://www.alamy.com/pyongyang-north-korea-little-traffic-on-a-large-main-road-image208380768.html

Information about the Ghost town on the N. Korean side of the DMZ

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kijong-dong

Think we've 'ad this before -

Yup, I know it's Turkey but it's the immediate obsolescence that strikes me.
The obvious mistake here was to cram in loads of houses with insufficient defensible space around each. People buying houses need ground around them or they might as well be in tower blocks.

Last edited:

The reasons that these exist and likewise much other unnecessary infrastructure exists in China is a way of encouraging internal investment. Interest rates for bank accounts in China are low but the government has (so far) managed to guarantee that property has increased rapidly for the past few decades, so Chinese people will buy a flat and leave it empty (there is or or at least was, no real rental culture and people are either already own or are too poor to rent expensive flats) and the flat will accrue X% every year. Wealthy Chinese people buy dozens or scores at a time and even middle class investors purchase flats one or two at time, all leveraged against each other.

Most of these places will forever be empty and apparently China did more building work 2008-2012 than the US did in the entire 20thC. It's probably the most obscene misallocation of resources in human history. Sooner or later the bubble will burst, taking down the Chinese economy and no doubt everyone else's with it.

Last edited:
The reasons that these exist and likewise much other unnecessary infrastructure exists in China is a way of encouraging internal investment. Interest rates for bank accounts in China are low but the government has (so far) managed to guarantee that property has increased rapidly for the past few decades, so Chinese people will buy a flat and leave it empty (there's is or or at least was no real rental culture and people are either already own or are two poor to rent expensive flats) and the flat will accrue X% every year. Wealthy Chinese people buy dozens or scores at a time and even middle class investors purchase flats one or two at time, all leveraged against each other.

Most of these places will forever be empty and apparently China did more building work 2008-2010 than the US did in the entire 20thC. It's probably the most obscene misallocation of resources in human history. Sooner or later the bubble will burst, taking down the Chinese economy and no doubt everyone else's with it.
There was a story posted on the 'mainstream China' thread about one of their biggest building companies being in trouble.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/mainstream-news-from-china.29457/post-2106344

I haven't got any more information on this picture other than it's title, 'abandoned house in Belgium', it looks like a film set to me or someone's computer warped the image but if it's genuine? ... wow ...

abelgiumhouse001.jpg

edit: I knew this was too good to be true, it still looks funky without the distortion anyway ..

abelgiumhouse002.jpg

Back