• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

I keep noticing kids' swings.
Not the ones in the park, more the garden sort.

- One of the recommended spooky threads on other sites had a vanishing kid on a swing story
- When out cycling I noticed a tree-swing in a country garden with no gate, in a position I considered too close to the busy lane.
- Another garden had a baby swing left outside with a note presumably saying 'Free Swing'.
- This morning I read in the Minor Strangeness thread about the fillum The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing.

I think it's because I didn't like the tree-swing and it stuck in my mind.
A child young enough to enjoy it might sneak off for a go and it's right next to the road. :omg:
My subconscious is troubled by it.

I remember 1983 well - was a very special year for me. Whenever 1983 is mentioned, I recall those times. I also noticed the year in those 2 threads.
Same for me. 1983 was a good year, because I was off at uni.

I remember 1983 well - was a very special year for me. Whenever 1983 is mentioned, I recall those times. I also noticed the year in those 2 threads.
Yeah, for me too. It was like the last great year of the 80s for me. That summer was amazing.

I’ve included an entry from Reddit I’ve only just come across this morning, as I’ve very recently started using it.
I’ve just come back from a trip to the local library. I couldn’t find what I was looking for, so I started browsing the shelves. I saw a large biography of Madonna, and being a big Marilyn Monroe fan, I went straight to the index to look her up. I chose the last page MM was mentioned on, and on that page it mentioned the Madonna song ‘Now I’m Following You.’
The bizarre thing is that I don’t think I’ve heard or thought of that song since it came out in 1990, and yet it came into my head this morning after reading the entry from Reddit!

Taken from Reddit:

Hearing old timey radio at night

So I (30f) have had this happen to me four or five times in my life, in two different homes. Starting from a small child.
I will be laying in bed trying to sleep, usually it’s extremely quiet, and I will hear faint sounds in my head. Almost like a radio , specifically music from a long time ago ( think like the 1940s )
The thing is , it’s music I have never heard before. I never listen to this genre of music, I also don’t play music so it’s odd I’m hearing a “made up” song. It’s definitely from an older era though.
The times this happens I’ll quickly sit up or get up and check out the window, around the room, ect. but I won’t find any reason. Sometimes the music comes back when I lay back down.
Has anyone else has this before?
Hearing old timey radio at night

Isn't that how Paul McCartney wrote Yesterday? Same mental mechanism?
Yeah, it came to him in a dream, perfectly formed.
He even asked his dad, who was a jazz musician, if it was an old jazz standard.

Bizarrely, I played ‘Yesterday‘, er, only yesterday! I only recently set up a Spotify account!
Wow, two coincidences involving newly set-up internet accounts on successive days!

Isn't that how Paul McCartney wrote Yesterday? Same mental mechanism?
The tune came to him apparently in his sleep without the lyrics. He sang 'Scrambled egg' along to it until he was inspired with the words*.

*In a Scouse accent, 'words' would be pronounced as wairds.

The Beatles' She Loves You has the lines -

You know it's up to you
I think it's only fair
Pride can hurt you, too
Apologise to her

In the Scouse accent 'fair' and 'her' rhyme perfectly.
I like to believe that's how it was written by the young Liverpudlians Lennon and McCartney. :chuckle:

I'm sitting out in my garden with the cats enjoying the early autumn afternoon.

Just now I randomly looked to my left and the sun shone straight into my eye through a knot hole in the fence.

The photo doesn't do it justice as it dazzled me!

received_593984251771266.jpeg

escargot,

An alien came to your garden and drilled a hole to line up with the sun to get your attention, because it seems lining up things with stars is what they do.

Have you not noticed this hole before ?

escargot,

An alien came to your garden and drilled a hole to line up with the sun to get your attention, because it seems lining up things with stars is what they do.

Have you not noticed this hole before ?
Yup, I have noticed the holes but hadn't caught the sun directly in the eye through one before!

Years ago I used to do the decorating to music. I had a cassette player on which I'd sometimes play pop songs taped off t'wireless Top 20.

One was of bang-up-to-date choons from 1982 which included Adam Ant's Goody Two Shoes running straight into Shakin' Stevens' Oh Julie.

We are currently watching a recording of Britain's Favourite Pop Songs: 1982.
Goody Two Shoes was discussed and as it finished I expected Oh Julie to start, as per my old tape, and it did.

Right away, exactly as I remembered. :omg:

A couple of days ago, I was listening to a podcast called ‘Looks Unfamiliar’, basically a geek’s junk shop of the mind! The guest on there mentioned a long-forgotten children’s tv show called ‘The Strange Case Of Adelaide Harris’, based on the book by Leon Garfield, a writer I’d never heard of before.
Yesterday, while reading ‘The Chesil Beach Footsteps, 2001’, Leon Garfield was mentioned again!

Years ago I used to do the decorating to music. I had a cassette player on which I'd sometimes play pop songs taped off t'wireless Top 20.

One was of bang-up-to-date choons from 1982 which included Adam Ant's Goody Two Shoes running straight into Shakin' Stevens' Oh Julie.

We are currently watching a recording of Britain's Favourite Pop Songs: 1982.
Goody Two Shoes was discussed and as it finished I expected Oh Julie to start, as per my old tape, and it did.

Right away, exactly as I remembered. :omg:
There’s you with your 1982, and me, with my 1983!

There’s you with your 1982, and me, with my 1983!
Have to say that the early '80s were a happy if challenging time. Young family, broke, erratic partner, worries about the upcoming nuclear winter, good health, lots of books read and music listened to, and artistic, craft and DIY skills developed.

Have to say that the early '80s were a happy if challenging time. Young family, broke, erratic partner, worries about the upcoming nuclear winter, good health, lots of books read and music listened to, and artistic, craft and DIY skills developed.
I hated the 80s when they were happening, (apart from Miami Vice), but get quite nostalgic for them now.

I hated the 80s when they were happening, (apart from Miami Vice), but get quite nostalgic for them now.
Haha, yup, the ex's brothers were all getting married back then. Wedding photos feature Kevin Keegan perms and Crocker-style silver suits with shades and folded-back cuffs. :chuckle:

80's weren't that bad, Paris, Trotskyist Youth Camp in South-West of France. I was Secretary of Irish Congress of Trade Unions Youth Committee, so was involved in ETUC Youth, attended four training courses/seminars in European Youth Centre in Strasbourg, went to Copenhagen (just a few days) on PETRA programme researching for a pamphlet chapter on emigrant workers rights in the EC , went to USSR on an ICTU/STUC delegation.

Complicated love life, went from thinking I was just gay to realising I was bisexual.

Had bad depression/anxiety episodes at start and end of 1980s.

80's weren't that bad, Paris, Trotskyist Youth Camp in South-West of France. I was Secretary of Irish Congress of Trade Unions Youth Committee, so was involved in ETUC Youth, attended four training courses/seminars in European Youth Centre in Strasbourg, went to Copenhagen (just a few days) on PETRA programme researching for a pamphlet chapter on emigrant workers rights in the EC , went to USSR on an ICTU/STUC delegation.

Complicated love life, went from thinking I was just gay to realising I was bisexual.

Had bad depression/anxiety episodes at start and end of 1980s.
Your 80s were certainly far more interesting than mine! The south of France? Two things I wish to happen before I croak it; move to the Côte d'Azur and witness Scargy saying to some idiot ''Do that again and I'll shove it up your arse''. I could die happy then.

Your 80s were certainly far more interesting than mine! The south of France? Two things I wish to happen before I croak it; move to the Côte d'Azur and witness Scargy saying to some idiot ''Do that again and I'll shove it up your arse''. I could die happy then.

I really got to like Strasbourg, the courses were generally a week long and also provided an occasion for the second level leadership of ETUC Youth to meet up, there was a seven person Executive Committee of ETUC Youth. I also attended a two week course in Inter-Cultural Learning at the European Youth Centre, organised by European Youth Councils ,a lot of different cultures in Europe. The EYC came under the Council of Europe rather than the EC (as it was at the time) so every country in Europe as well as Turkey were involved.

I must go back to Strasbourg and sample their tarte flambee and Reisling wine again.

I loved the 80s with an absolute passion, and did so at the time – three years at uni, a longterm girlfriend, a part-time job that allowed me to spend lots of time with her and still save money to go travelling. Three Glastonbury Festivals, loads of gigs (The Cure, REM, The Chills, Ed Kuepper, Black Uhuru, The Go-Betweens, The Blue Aeroplanes, Bert Jansch, the list goes on), films, working on the Bath Fringe Festival where I got to meet all sorts of people from Arthur Smith to RD Laing, reading loads of stuff - from Richard Brautigan and Kurt Vonnegut to Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler.

I cycled to whatever job I was doing, rode lots, got as fit as a very fit person. Travelled for most of 1988 – Singapore, Australia with a working visa, New Zealand, India, Singapore and back home where I got a reasonably paid and low-stress job pretty much straightaway.

I too had the fear of nuclear war. At uni in Norwich I lived near RAF accommodation, and when the sirens went off one night in the early hours, it took a while for me to realise it was only a drill. But it was a genuine fear for me, as it was for a lot of people at the time, which I think has been all-too-easily forgotten by people since then. Still, luckily we wouldn't be as mad as to build up our nuclear stockpile in the UK...

I was 10 to 20 in the 80s, and 1980 was when my 60s obsession started, so the actual decade I was living in had to take a back seat!

Back