• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Did anyone see that golden lung necklace worn on the red carpet at Cannes the other day?! Bleurgh!

Yes , I actually like it. I do like the weird and surreal. looked up the designer.
Schiaparelli....Well out of my price league that's for sure. The look may get copied for cheaper...... they have some amazing gold jewellery , very surreal.
Salvador Dali inspired I think.

View attachment 42182

2019: What?!
2020-21: Interesting. Sounds viable...

Further to this trend.

Executive Covid-stress suit:

E9xFfdAWQAYUyLE.png
E9xFhqaXMAUzUTU.png
E9xFjbCWEAMu-C5.png
E9xFlx4XsAgbbmt.png

Same in the '70s, when characters would be drawn with HUGE billowing flares that nobody could possibly wear. :chuckle:
It didn't stop some people from trying. Anyone who was a teen in the first half of the 70s, is probably grateful that phone cameras didn't exist so that their crimes against fashion largely went unrecorded...

1970s fashions were an abomination in themselves. :chuckle:

Although of course I looked GREAT in them.

It didn't stop some people from trying. Anyone who was a teen in the first half of the 70s, is probably grateful that phone cameras didn't exist so that their crimes against fashion largely went unrecorded...
Tell you what was a GREAT fashion: Hot Pants. Yup, shorts that you wore with tights like a skirt, and with knee-length boots if you were lucky.
Sometimes they had a bib like little dungarees.

I loved them. They were like wearing trousers which was still frowned on for women and girls.
If girls at my Grammar school wore trousers or Hot Pants to school events they were sent to the changing rooms to borrow a lost property sports skirt to wear instead.

Made no sense - why was a short skirt more modest than full-length smart trousers?
This didn't happen to me but I saw perfectly respectable teenage girls treated like this.

Anyway, Hot Pants. Possibly the most glamorous garment I have ever worn. It's all been downhill since then.

Last edited:
It's nearly time to break out the Winter Chewbacca-style Crocs, a treasured xmas gift from a few years ago.
Like this -
Chewbacc Crocs.jpeg

Sorting through my fabric stash last week I discovered a pair of furry boot-toppers that I must've picked up somewhere.

They nearly match the Crocs fur so I'll be wearing them with the Crocs. I expect to look ACE in them. :chuckle:
There will of course be photos. :wink2:

I reckon @Swifty might consider Crocs for home wear. They are warm enough for winter with thick socks and you don't need to change out of slippers to pop outside, and they protect the toes.

It's nearly time to break out the Winter Chewbacca-style Crocs, a treasured xmas gift from a few years ago.
Like this -
View attachment 45927

Sorting through my fabric stash last week I discovered a pair of furry boot-toppers that I must've picked up somewhere.

They nearly match the Crocs fur so I'll be wearing them with the Crocs. I expect to look ACE in them. :chuckle:
There will of course be photos. :wink2:

I reckon @Swifty might consider Crocs for home wear. They are warm enough for winter with thick socks and you don't need to change out of slippers to pop outside, and they protect the toes.
Good shout .. I'll look like a twat but all your reasoning is sound.

Back