• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The World's Oldest People (Documented; Verified)

A ripe old age.

The oldest person in Britain has died at the age of 112.

Joan Hocquard shared her birthday, 29 March 1908, with the world's oldest man Bob Weighton, who died in Hampshire in May.

She died at her home in Dorset on Saturday, her nephew Paul Reynolds said. Mr Reynolds said his aunt believed there was no secret to a long life and "enjoyed butter and cream and she scoffed at idea of dieting".

Mrs Hocquard spent her early life in Kenya where her father was a British colonial officer. She went to boarding school in Sussex and later worked as a cook at a hotel in Geneva. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-54681140

Reactions: RaM
The oldest person in Britain has died at the age of 112...

I was struck by a linguistic conundrum when I read about this earlier today.

There is always an 'oldest person in Britain' (or anywhere else, for that matter) - therefore they cannot be said to have died.

I'm kind of reminded of an old joke about breaking bad news to someone, which could possibly be adapted:

'Hello Mrs Smith, it's the Twilight Years Nursing Home here. I've got some wonderful news for you - your mother is no longer the oldest person in Britain.'

No need - I've already got my coat right here.

Welsh woman celebrates her 112th birthday and becomes UK's oldest person

She has shared her secrets to living a long life.
A Welsh woman has celebrated her 112th birthday and shared her secrets to a long life.

Lilian Priest was born in Monmouth on November 7, 1908.

She marked the celebratory occasion with a piece of cake and a card from the Queen.

She was also treated to a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday at the care home where she lives.

Lilian, who lived through both World Wars, said the key to her long life has been getting fresh air and walking.

Shee played tennis into her 80s and liked to “walk everywhere”. Her daughter Wendy Richmond-Jones was allowed to visit Lilian, despite Covid-19 restrictions.

She said: “She has always been very active and walked a great deal having grown up in the Welsh mountain air. I think it is an amazing achievement. Mum is an inspiration to us all. She has always been positive and not one to give in and we are all very proud of her.

“Mum was very pleased to receive her card from the Queen and many birthday greetings from family and friends.”
(c) WoL. '20

The oldest living American supercentenarians has passed away at the age of 115 or 116.
Hester Ford, oldest living American, dies at 115 ... or 116?

A North Carolina woman who grew up picking cotton, got married at 14 and went on to become the oldest living American with more than 120 great-great-grandchildren has died peacefully in her home, according to her family.

Hester Ford was either 115 or 116 years old depending on which census report was accurate. Either way, she was the oldest living American when she died Saturday in Charlotte, according to the Gerontology Research Group, which tracks “supercentenarians.” They listed her age as 115 years and 245 days. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-charlotte-north-carolina-2c8cc8716f907848b6cdb9ab66442f11

I think you just need around 3-4 descendants for each, to reach 120 great-great-grandchildren.

Yes, which is not really rabbit-level. I once met a woman with 12 kids.

Given Hester Ford's death (see above) the oldest American is now Thelma Sutcliffe of Nebraska.
114-year-old Nebraska woman becomes oldest living American

A 114-year-old Nebraska woman who has taken the title of America’s oldest living person says what she wants most is to eat with her friend after a year of pandemic restrictions.

Thelma Sutcliffe, of Omaha, became the nation’s oldest living person and seventh-oldest in the world on April 17 when Hester Ford, a 115-year-old woman, died in North Carolina, according to the Gerontology Research Group.

The Omaha World-Herald reports that Sutcliffe was born on Oct. 1, 1906. Her longtime friend, Luella “Lou” Mason, said she is happy that the senior living center where Sutcliffe lives is locked down, but “Thelma is as determined as ever to do what she wants to do.” ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/nebraska-coronavirus-health-7137dbfc99715fdc5aa3aa35c4844954

The Guiness book of world records must hate this particular record, it has to be the most frequently updated record in the book :(
I know you're not being serious, but I can reply seriously: this record won't be a problem for GWR because there is an internationally recognised* group that researches the topic so GWR can quote their figures. Don't know how much actual research and certification GWR do themselves these days.

oxo

* recognised by who? GWR and Wikipedia of course!

The Guiness book of world records must hate this particular record, it has to be the most frequently updated record in the book :(

Updates = new editions = more sales.

Guinness has now designated a 112-year-old Puerto Rican as the world's oldest living man.
112-year-old Puerto Rican dubbed world's oldest living man

Guinness World Records announced a new record holder for the world's oldest living man: 112-year-old Emilio Flores Marquez of Puerto Rico.

The record-keeping organization said Marquez, of Trujillo Alto, was issued a certificate as the world's oldest living man at age 112 years, 326 days. ...

Marquez was born Aug. 8, 1908, in Carolina, Puerto Rico. He was the second of 11 children born to his parents. ...

The record for oldest living man was previously held by Dumitru Comanescu, who died June 27, 2020, at age 111 years, 219 days. He had only held the record for under a month prior to his death.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ving-man-Emilio-Flores-Marquez/7031625067206/

Not the oldest in the UK but still a great age.

A 110-year-old woman said the secret to a long life was "healthy living, outdoor activities and fresh food".

Joyce Wooding celebrated her birthday on 6 September at Collingtree Park Care Home in Northampton.
She said she sometimes felt she was "too old".

"It's really too long to live because you've outlived your parents, your family - they've all gone - and my friends, most of them are gone now," she said.

Mrs Wooding was born in 1911, the same year as the coronation of King George V.

She is the 10th oldest person in the UK, according to the site Oldest in Britain, with Mollie Walker from Oxfordshire being the oldest at 112.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58644673

Guinness has now designated a 112-year-old Spanish great-grandfather as the world's oldest living man.
112-year-old great-grandfather certified as world's oldest living man

A great-grandfather in Spain was confirmed by Guinness World Records as the world's oldest living man at 112 years, 211 days old.

Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, who was born Feb. 11, 1909, in Leon, Spain, was certified by Guinness as the oldest person living (male) Sept. 10. ...

The supercentenarian told Guinness the secret to his longevity is to live "a quiet life" and "do not hurt anyone."
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-Saturnino-de-la-Fuente-Garcia/7741633030472/

The world's (current; known) oldest person has celebrated her 119th birthday.
Kane Tanaka, the world's oldest person, celebrates 119th birthday

The world's oldest person -- Japanese woman Kane Tanaka -- has celebrated her 119th birthday and says she's determined to make it to 120.

Tanaka marked the occasion on Sunday with staff at a nursing home in Fukoka prefecture where she lives. ...

Born on Jan. 2, 1903, Tanaka has lived through the Meiji, Taisho, Showa, Heisei and Reiwa eras in Japan. Her family said that she's determined to live another year and make it to 120.

In 2019, the Guinness Book of World Records recognized Tanaka as the world's oldest person when she was 116. She also broke the record for the oldest Japanese person at the age of 117 years and 261 days old. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...st-person-kane-tanaka-birthday/1601641213781/

Saw a documentary about two areas in Sardinia where people live for longer than average.
"Blue Zones", localities with high life expectancies.

The conclusions:

Fresh air

Outdoor exercise, not necessarily high intensity, but walking...based on the men who often work as shepherds walking 10 miles per day.

Close family and village support networks.

Meals prepared from fresh produce or dried food, specifically avoiding processed food.

Activity that people enjoy. Retired women often spent a couple of hours per day preparing nutricious meals for the family. They took pride in this, ejoyed passing on family recipes, and ejoyed the food.

Genetics. I suppose the hardest to prove and most controversial, but off the top of my head there is a fair mix of heritage there - "Italian", Viking, Arab, Berber, Iberian and Basque etc.

Fresh air

Outdoor exercise, not necessarily high intensity, but walking...based on the men who often work as shepherds walking 10 miles per day.

Close family and village support networks.

Meals prepared from fresh produce or dried food, specifically avoiding processed food.

Activity that people enjoy. Retired women often spent a couple of hours per day preparing nutricious meals for the family. They took pride in this, ejoyed passing on family recipes, and ejoyed the food.

Genetics. I suppose the hardest to prove and most controversial, but off the top of my head there is a fair mix of heritage there - "Italian", Viking, Arab, Berber, Iberian and Basque etc.
I can absolutely believe it.

Of course it depends what you want from life. Some people want the hustle and bustle of a big city; well paid jobs, theatres, public transport and all the other things that come with it.

That's not for me though.

Even in poorer parts like Sicily and southern Italy they still have a better standard of living (in my opinion). Of course the climate plays a big part of that, but it's all those things mentioned and a much more relaxed way of life in general.
I'd take a little shack somewhere in the Med, preferably near a vineyard, over all the material trappings of 'the west' any day.

Guinness has now designated a 112-year-old Spanish great-grandfather as the world's oldest living man.

Sadly, he's passed away at the age of 112 years and 341 days.

World's oldest man, Saturnino de la Fuente García, dies aged 112​

Guinness World Records are saddened to hear that Saturnino de la Fuente García (Spain) has passed away at his house at the age of 112 years and 341 days.

The news has been confirmed by Senior Gerontology Consultant Robert Young, who also helped confirm Saturnino’s record as the oldest person living (male) in September 2021.
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://www.guinnessworldrecords.co...nino-de-la-fuente-garcia-dies-aged-112-689403

Kane Tanaka:World's oldest person dies in Japan aged 119

Kane Tanaka, a Japanese woman certified as the oldest person in the world, has died at the age of 119.

Local officials said Tanaka died of old age in hospital in Fukuoka city, western Japan, on Tuesday last week.

Born on 2 January 1903, Tanaka was confirmed by the Guinness World Records as the oldest living person in 2019.

She was living at a nursing home and was in relatively good health until recently, enjoying playing board games, solving maths problems, drinking soda and eating chocolate.

There had been plans for Tanaka to take part in the torch relay for the Tokyo Olympics in a wheelchair, but she was deterred by the Covid-19 pandemic, the Japan Times reported.
(C) The Independent. '22

And she was trying to reach 120 too.

Dying of Old Age...Do folk still do that?

Guinness and the Gerontology Research Group have certified a Venezuelan man as the world's oldest man.
Venezuelan man named world's oldest at the age of 112

Guinness World Records announced a Venezuelan man has been dubbed the oldest person living (male) just a few days shy of his 113th birthday.

The record-keeping organization announced Juan Vincente Mora, who will turn 113 on May 27, was verified as the oldest man in the world by Robert Young, Guinness World Records' senior consultant for gerontology, and the Gerontology Research Group. ...

Mora was born in 1909 as one of 10 children, and now has 11 children, 41 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren and 12 great-great-grandchildren. ...

Mora begins each day with a cup of coffee and breakfast with his family. He remains a devoted Catholic and prays the rosary daily.

The supercentenarian told Guinness World Records that the most important things he has learned in life are "the love of God, the love of family and that we must get up early to work."

Mora was named the record-holder after the previous record-holder, Spanish man Saturnino de la Fuente Garcia, died Jan. 18 at the age of 112 years and 341 days. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...orld-Records-oldest-man-living/1101652813711/

A long life, he even survived his ship being sunk by a U-boat.

Ireland's oldest man, Michael O'Connor, dies aged 108​

Michael O'Connor, who was alive during the 1916 Rising and the subsequent War of Independence, died in Kenmare Community Hospital in County Kerry on Sunday morning, a friend of his family confirmed.

O'Connor, who was believed to be the oldest living man in Ireland, was born in Glencar in south Kerry in 1913 and would have celebrated his 109th birthday on October 21.

The family friend told RTÉ that O'Connor lived in "rude good health" at his home in Muckross until very recently.

O'Connor left Ireland as a young man and went on to serve as a radio operator during the Second World War, surviving the sinking of his ship by a German U-boat. He also survived the Japanese blockade of the Bay of Bengal in the Pacific Theater.

O'Connor was one of the oldest living survivors of the Spanish Flu pandemic 1918-1920 having contracted the illness as a young boy. He recovered from the illness, but his mother tragically did not.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/michael-oconnor-ireland-oldest-man-dies-aged-108

Australia's oldest man has passed away at the age of 110.
'An extraordinary life': Australia's oldest man dies, aged 110

Relatives have paid tribute to Australia's oldest man, Frank Mawer, after he died peacefully in his sleep on Saturday, aged 110.

Mawer's son, Barry, said his dad had contracted COVID-19 several weeks ago, and the virus had weakened him. ...

"He lived life to the full even in recent months. He insisted on sitting up for meals, he did his exercises every day, and had plenty of visitors," Barry said.

"He went to have his afternoon nap on Saturday afternoon and never woke up."

Mawer, who celebrated his 110th birthday on August 15, took the title of Australia's oldest man in July last year after the passing of a 111-year-old Queensland man, Dexter Kruger. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.9news.com.au/national/a...aged-110/b9cc7656-042d-46ee-b1c9-f04c59af80fa

Back