• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Further to the above, I just read the Davis and Ledwith accounts again and it is very clear how much they attempt to manipulate the reader - consciously or otherwise - in setting up Lankford and Lucky Sutton as credible witnesses. Alene is not mentioned much, considering her significance as a source of details in several newspaper accounts. O. P. Baker is barely mentioned at all despite having input into the 'men's drawing'. We even get Lucky scowling at Taylor when the latter attempts to bring up the subject of a nose. None of this seems particularly dispassionate, particularly in the context of Ledwith trying to present his own methods as careful and disinterested. I think he clearly - perhaps not consciously, but clearly nonetheless - exerted his own editorial influence on the assembling of the sketches and the 'curating' of evidence.

Last edited:
Just to clarify for anyone not sure what this relates to, as it goes back quite a few posts. It concerns the origin of a quote used by Isabel Davis in her 1978 publication, 'Close Encounter at Kelly and Others of 1955', namely:
"real bright, with an exhaust all the colors of the rainbow"

I have now discovered this exact quote also appears in an article published by 'The Indianapolis News', on 12 February, 1966.
I am presuming his source can not be Isabel Davis' use, as 'Close Encounters...' had not yet been published, unless some of the content was released before 1966?

Davis' allusion to the UFO's rainbow-colored exhaust or trail occurs once in her report.
Billy Ray Taylor had gone out to the well in the back yard for a drink of water, and came running back into the house with a wild story about seeing a "flying saucer." As he was bringing up the bucket, he said, a silvery object, "real bright, with an exhaust all the colors of the rainbow," came silently toward the house from the southwest ...
(Davis, p. 23)

Note the quotation marks. They suggest she is quoting some other source directly. Now here's the problem with that assumption ...

Davis' citation of the multi-colored exhaust comes in the opening paragraphs of her Chapter II - the overview / summary of the incident. She doesn't use embedded footnotes, but instead lists her references at the end of a chapter. She doesn't do this consistently. The references listing for Chapter II don't appear until the end of Chapter III (p. 63). This listing cites only 3 sources:
REFERENCES, CHAPTER II
1. The Messenger, Madisonville, KY, August 24, 1955.
2. Ibid.
3. "Panic in Kentucky," by Jacqueline Sanders, in The Saucerian Review, Jan 1956, pp 19-23.
4. The Messenger, Madisonville, KY, August 22, 1955.

Which of these sources mentions multi-colored / rainbow colored UFO exhaust? None of them. Here are the complete descriptions of the alleged UFO in flight appearing in these 3 cited references:
Suddenly there was a hissing sound and he saw a brilliant light. Some bright object seemed to have landed in a field about a city block in distance away from the house.
(Sanders, p. 20)

An egg-shaped No. 2 washtub, "lit up like a streak of fire" ... landed near Kelly Station ... last night.
... they noticed an object "all lighted up" glide into a field.
(Madisonville Messenger, 22 August, p. 1)

... a space ship "about the size of a No. 2 tub and lit up like a streak" landed on the Sutton farm ...
(Madisonville Messenger, 24 August, p. 1)

Reactions: BS3
The earliest allusion to the alleged UFO's rainbow-colored exhaust or trail I've found comes from the Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle article (based on Hodson) from 24 August. it occurs in the caption beneath a drawing of the craft - apparently based on the one drawn by Ledwith during his evening interview with Taylor prior to handing Taylor off to Hodson.
All agreed, however, that the men arrived and departed from their farm near Hopkinsville in a flying saucer ... which glowed all over and spewed fire of a wonderful color from its rear.
Clarksville Leaf-Chronicle, 24 August, p. 1 - 'METHOD OF TRANSPORTATION' illustration caption.

Last edited:
The
Davis' allusion to the UFO's rainbow-colored exhaust or trail occurs once in her report.

(Davis, p. 23)

Note the quotation marks. They suggest she is quoting some other source directly. Now here's the problem with that assumption ...

Davis' citation of the multi-colored exhaust comes in the opening paragraphs of her Chapter II - the overview / summary of the incident. She doesn't use embedded footnotes, but instead lists her references at the end of a chapter. She doesn't do this consistently. The references listing for Chapter II don't appear until the end of Chapter III (p. 63). This listing cites only 3 sources:

Which of these sources mentions multi-colored / rainbow colored UFO exhaust? None of them. Here are the complete descriptions of the alleged UFO in flight appearing in these 3 cited references:

(Sanders, p. 20)

(Madisonville Messenger, 22 August, p. 1)

(Madisonville Messenger, 24 August, p. 1)

It does seem like a genuine quote in that "real bright, with [...]" is a bit more colloquial than Davis's use of language elsewhere. My guess is that there is either a set of newspaper accounts we have not yet found, which seems quite possible, or that there was a description attributed to Taylor in one of the various non-newspaper sources we know that she used.

When herons came up as a tentative, speculative candidate, purely as an exercise, this was a comparison I had made between Taylor's solely inspired sketch and a heron photographed 'face-on'.
Having a clear out, I have just rediscovered it and in the light of discussions since, maybe now worth a mention? As always, it's open to interpretation ...
As a tangential exercise, I photo-chopped the frontal shot of the heron to remove the beak (and hence delete the downward tapered profile as Lucky prescribed). This is what resulted ...

HeronDeBeaked-X-A.jpg

"real bright, with an exhaust all the colors of the rainbow"

I have now discovered this exact quote also appears in an article published by 'The Indianapolis News', on 12 February, 1966.
It's a column published by Dr Webb Garrison ...
The author notes that he hasn't read any of the 'Kentucy New Era' or Evansville articles.

I am presuming his source can not be Isabel Davis' use, as 'Close Encounters...' had not yet been published, unless some of the content was released before 1966? ...
Any ideas what the explanation might be?
One conceivable explanation is the reverse of what you've suggested ...

Garrison may or may not have had an opportunity to see Davis' material as of 1966, but Davis clearly had a dozen years to stumble across Garrison's phrasing before her report was finally published in 1978.

... "real bright, with an exhaust all the colors of the rainbow"...
This phrasing occurs in the 1987 book The UFO Phenomenon (Time-Life Mysteries of the Unknown series):
Billy Ray Taylor was thirsty. Night was falling, but the August heat lingered in the hills of southwestern Kentucky. The twenty-one-year-old Taylor was only looking for a cool drink when he ventured out of the house to visit the farm's well; what he apparently saw sent him dashing back to the farmhouse in a state of high excitement. The eleven members of the Sutton family, who lived in the house and worked the farm, heard their visitor's story with disbelief. A flying saucer, he exclaimed - a craft with an exhaust all the colors of the rainbow - had just flown over his head and plunged into a gully a few hundred yards from the house. The Suttons laughed him off. But they began to take him a little more seriously half an hour later, when the family dog started barking and then dashed under the house with his tail between his legs.
(Emphasis added)
The UFO Phenomenon (Mysteries of the Unknown Series), Alexandria VA: Time-Life Books, 1987(?), p. 64

I couldn't identify any of this book's listed references as a possible source for this phrasing. The only one in the listing that suggested itself was Hynek's The UFO Experience, but a search within a snippet-view-limited online version of the book failed to locate the word "rainbow" anywhere within the volume.

The text quoted above would be a straightforward retelling of Davis' 1978 text, but the D & B report isn't listed among the book's references. As a result, I can't confirm whether this book got the phrasing from Davis or both the book and Davis got it from some prior source.

This phrasing occurs in the 1987 book The UFO Phenomenon (Time-Life Mysteries of the Unknown series):

(Emphasis added)
The UFO Phenomenon (Mysteries of the Unknown Series), Alexandria VA: Time-Life Books, 1987(?), p. 64

I couldn't identify any of this book's listed references as a possible source for this phrasing. The only one in the listing that suggested itself was Hynek's The UFO Experience, but a search within a snippet-view-limited online version of the book failed to locate the word "rainbow" anywhere within the volume.

The text quoted above would be a straightforward retelling of Davis' 1978 text, but the D & B report isn't listed among the book's references. As a result, I can't confirm whether this book got the phrasing from Davis or both the book and Davis got it from some prior source.
That quote seems to be in quite a few books about the incident.

"At about 7 PM, Billy Ray Taylor (a friend of the Suttons and owner of the farmhouse) came in from the well with the "wild story's that he had seen a really bright "flying saucer," with an exhaust all the colors of the rainbow, fly across the sky and drop into a forty-foot gully near the edge of their property."

http://noticias-decelebridades.blogspot.com/2010/10/kelly-hopkinsville-encounter.html?m=1

Screenshot_20210928-140411_Chrome.png

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...xhaust all the colors of the rainbow'&f=false

Neither source dates back to earlier than 1980, so they both could have drawn the phrasing from Davis' report.

Last edited:
Just for the record ... I've gone back and reviewed the earliest and seemingly best researched documentation about the incident to see what is said about visitors "glowing."
So, what else might explain the descriptions of our bizarre looking, 3 feet tall creatures appeaing to be glowing, or like aluminium, or phosphorus, or similar to radium on a watch dial.

Whilst contemplating the scene of our adventure and the larger scale of a rural environment where tobacco cultivation and farming had been the mainstay of survival for eons, I wondered if there might be something directly related.

Perhaps occasionally, maybe especially during the summer months, indigenous creatures could pick up traces of one or other - aluminium, phosphorus, or radium - from a localised source.

What if, however, there might be a candidate, which could possibly account for all three of them.

Chemical fertilizers.

I have no idea if this is plausible - whether fertilizers were being used and if so, were they capable of causing this type of inadvertent, environmental pollution.

I had come across references from more recent years, to herons and concerns about levels of phosphate being washed into their various water associated habitats. I couldn't really determine the complexity of what the exact issues were and some of these publications addressed a myriad of other connected themes, such as planning and management of waterways, etc.

That is the background and the following is a new discovery.

Again, I personally do not fully appreciate the context of topics debated in this article and it is simply highlighted for information purposes, an example of what I had in mind
and discussion purposes:

Will This Fertilizer Make Crops Glow Or Just Grow?

1 August, 1994

Some see Florida's chalky mountains of phosphogypsum as a hazardous-waste eyesore. University of Florida researchers see 600 million tons of cheap fertilizer. Phosphogypsum, a by-product of phosphate fertilizer production, contains minute amounts of radium-226, which can decay to radon gas.

Environmental groups are trying to pressure the Environmental Protection Agency to place stricter limits on its use.

But a new University of Florida study may embolden the EPA to ease present restrictions. It showed a 25% increase in crop yield when phosphogypsum, which contains calcium and sulphur, was used on forage grasses. A three-year study found that radon levels remained normal even when phosphogypsum was applied in larger-than-necessary quantities. Another benefit: Sulphate in phosphogypsum can bind to aluminum in soil, preventing crops from absorbing the toxic metal. Similar studies are being conducted in the Philippines and are expected to begin in Brazil and Turkey.

Terms of Service Manage Cookies Trademarks Privacy Policy ©2021 Bloomberg L.P.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/1994-07-31/will-this-fertilizer-make-crops-glow-or-just-grow

Last edited:
Owing to the multiple references to the glowing visitors not glowing under direct illumination, it's certainly reasonable to suggest their glowing was the result of phosphorescence (as opposed to, e.g., bioluminescence). This is further suggested by the fact the issue of glowing seems to diminish in witness testimonies after the initial sighting / shooting. Some of the later sighting / shooting events are described without any mention of glowing.

Phosphorescence is also a good fit for the 'luminous patch' noted somewhere out beyond one of the fences.

The one exception to this is the 'glow' Ms. Lankford cited as her cue to check the window (circa 0330). She wasn't facing the window when lying in bed. Her initial detection of this glow must therefore have been sufficient light of some sort 'entering' through the window so as to perceptibly illuminate the wall or whatever other surface(s) lay opposite the window.

Last edited:
... Chemical fertilizers.
I have no idea if this is plausible - whether fertilizers were being used and if so, were they capable of causing this type of inadvertent, environmental pollution. ...
I don't know. Much of the concern about phosphate fertilizers as evidenced by 'glow' involves their fostering population explosions in organisms that are bioluminescent. This indirect effect doesn't fit well with the notion that only the visitors themselves glowed.

Off hand, I don't know to what extent phosphate fertilizer is or can be phosphorescent in and of itself. We know there was a tobacco crop being grown on the farmstead, and tobacco requires fertilizer.

One characteristic of Davis's and other tellings of the case is that Taylor's statements seem to be given slightly less weight than those of the Sutton brothers. Conversely Lankford's testimony is always given the highest weighting. The attitude continues throughout the Davis (and Ledwith) accounts: Taylor is said to be enjoying being the centre of attention, again as a point of comparison with the Suttons. The Taylors are later said to be "destitute".

This seems to be partly because he was perceived to have changed his description, though looking at the Ledwith and Hodson sketches dictated by Taylor, I actually see quite strong elements of consistency. Ultimately why should these two sketches be given less weight than the remaining two Ledwith ones?

I guess another part of it is that as a visitor to the house rather than a member of the family he had less authority; perhaps investigators were simply picking up on this dynamic, seen in the way Taylor's UFO story was supposedly initially laughed off. I note however that the latter is as much a narrative device picked up by Davis and others as anything. It establishes the Suttons as level headed, sensible people - it's kind of ironic that in some ways Taylor is by implication presented as a less credible witness to the "creatures" because he had also claimed to see a UFO.
Taylor's presence and actions (to the extent they're described at all ... ) are somewhat anomalous. All we know about him is that he is / was a co-worker of Lucky's with the carnival, he was recently if not originally from Pennsylvania, he was married to the even more anomalous June, and he (age 20) and June (age 18) were the youngest adults in the household at the time.

One gets the impression Billy Ray and June were a young couple coping as well as they could. There's the allusion to Taylor as 'destitute'. There's the fact he went hunting and then worked in the field(s) on the 22nd while the other 3 men traveled to Evansville (suggesting he did chores to justify his and June's residence at the Lankford / Sutton place). This in turn suggests Taylor was low in the household's pecking order. This impression is reinforced by the curious fact he wasn't included in the group that traveled to Evansville on the 22nd.

The most fundamental mystery about the Taylors concerns why they were staying in crowded conditions at a very modest Kentucky homestead that summer rather than spending the break from work back home(?) in Pennsylvania. According to a couple of accounts (I forget which ones) he and June would leave Kelly a few weeks after the incident - allegedly to return to the carnival gig - and disappear entirely from the narrative. As I recall, one version claimed he left shortly before Lucky did and the other seemed to indicate they both left at the same time.

I've attempted to track down records on a Billy Ray Taylor with a birth date in 1934 or 1935. The only ones I've found that correlate with his age weren't from Pennsylvania but rather from states farther south (e.g., Georgia). I didn't find any records for any age-correlated Billy Ray Taylor that documented a marriage to a June. All in all, I harbor a suspicion there's something more to the Taylors' back story that goes unmentioned in all the accounts.

Another thing is that Taylor is the only resident cited as knowing about or having an interest in UFOs / flying saucers.

Davis' and other accounts pretty consistently portray Taylor as being excitable / chatty. For example, there's the bit about an officer riding with him back to the farmhouse who claimed he was agitated and exhibiting a very elevated pulse rate in his neck. Descriptions of him during the incident seem to always describe him as speaking via exclamation and quickly firing whatever gun it was he was using. According to Ledwith when Taylor first saw the women's sketch he fairly seized upon it and exclaimed how representative it was.

I'm struck by the fact that following the dismissal of Taylor's excited report of his UFO sighting everyone else stayed in the house while Lucky and Taylor went outside into the back yard alone. This positioned them for the first visitor sighting. I can't help but wonder whether Lucky took Taylor outside for a private chat to calm Taylor after being the target of ridicule. Given the generally consistent descriptions of Taylor as excitable I find it hard to believe he wasn't at least mildly upset at having his sighting dismissed out of hand.

I generally trust Ledwith's account of the activities on the 22nd, which means I trust Ledwith's description of the ways Taylor enthusiastically generated his own version of the visitor sketch only to just as enthusiastically try to tweak or revise it a few hours later. There's no question Taylor's second (Hodson) sketch is substantially different from his first one with Ledwith. There's also the bit about Taylor being called down by Lucky on the issue of a visitor's nose. There's also the fact Taylor was the only witness documented as suggesting visitors wore any sort of apparatus (visor; headphones), which he didn't seem to mention until the evening interview with Hodson.

I agree Taylor seems to be portrayed as the "odd man out" in connection with almost everything. However, I think the evidence is substantial enough to support believing this wasn't simply a narrative device imposed by other residents or investigators.

Did anyone ever interview Alene's brother O. P. Baker? While not handling a gun, Ledwith suggests he saw at least one of the creatures well enough to describe it ("O. P. Baker and J. C. Sutton insisted they had seen [a mouth]") and I seem to recall he was the last living witness.

Did anyone ever interview Alene's brother O. P. Baker? While not handling a gun, Ledwith suggests he saw at least one of the creatures well enough to describe it ("O. P. Baker and J. C. Sutton insisted they had seen [a mouth]") and I seem to recall he was the last living witness.
Yes - Baker is (or until recently was ... ) the only surviving witness who was an adult at the time of the incident.

The only direct interview with Baker I know of is his brief appearance in the 2020 Incident at Kelly video cited by Comfortably Numb on 4 August:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ucky-goblins-incident-1955.17926/post-2093018

Baker is one of the least-mentioned residents during the incident. There's a single account that claims he was the one who snatched Taylor back inside when something grabbed for Taylor's head at the front door. Besides that, his presence with J. C. and Lucky in Evansville on the 22nd, Ledwith's passing mention of his presence, and what little he says in the video there's no documentation of his positions or actions the night of the incident.

One conceivable explanation is the reverse of what you've suggested ...

Garrison may or may not have had an opportunity to see Davis' material as of 1966, but Davis clearly had a dozen years to stumble across Garrison's phrasing before her report was finally published in 1978.
That's one explanation I had considered, however it was dismissed because I might have a categorical misunderstanding about the 1978 publication.

My perception was that it contained only Isabel's original, unpublished report, in which she had later, just prior to its 1978 publication, added the comments - specifically highlighted as such by Isabel, re the subsequent receipt of Andre's letter, etc.

If Isabel's summation of the case wasn't actually written until 1978....

Requires an entire rethink and perhaps explains a number of similar, apparent anomalies I had observed.

Having the opportunity to discuss the Kelly-Hopkinsville case here and become aware of new contexts, such as this...

Quite immense and my compliments to the chefs. :)

Reactions: BS3
That's one explanation I had considered, however it was dismissed because I might have a categorical misunderstanding about the 1978 publication.

My perception was that it contained only Isabel's original, unpublished report, in which she had later, just prior to its 1978 publication, added the comments - specifically highlighted as such by Isabel, re the subsequent receipt of Andre's letter, etc.

If Isabel's summation of the case wasn't actually written until 1978....

Requires an entire rethink and perhaps explains a number of similar, apparent anomalies I had observed.

Having the opportunity to discuss the Kelly-Hopkinsville case here and become aware of new contexts, such as this...

Quite immense and my compliments to the chefs. :)

It's surprising how much can often be discovered about even the oldest and most familiar cases by going back and looking at early accounts, etc. Unfortunately "ufology" has suffered terribly from writers who simply repeat previous information without bothering to check (cf your previous comments about the real shape of the objects Kenneth Arnold saw, and its implications for the entire phenomenon).

One of the nice things about James E. McDonald's research, whatever else you think about his opinions on UFOs, was that he actually went back and interviewed witnesses, even years later. This is surprisingly rare, though I suppose his status as a professional scientist probably helped.

I wonder if Davis made any further attempts to contact the Suttons prior to final publication of her book? Most were still alive at that point.

It's surprising how much can often be discovered about even the oldest and most familiar cases by going back and looking at early accounts, etc. Unfortunately "ufology" has suffered terribly from writers who simply repeat previous information without bothering to check (cf your previous comments about the real shape of the objects Kenneth Arnold saw, and its implications for the entire phenomenon).
Oh how you sing from the same page of our ufological Bible.

Way back, in my cover article for FT137, which offered a more prosaic explanation for Arnold's formative sighting, I wrote:

"Arnold described how those nine objects in formation resembled “the tail of a Chinese kite” blowing in the wind, or “speed boats on rough water”. Using an unusual simile, he added: “they flew like a saucer would if you skipped it across the water.” In the media frenzy that followed, this phrase, intended to describe their motion, was misconstrued to be a description of how the objects looked. So ‘flying saucers’ were born and the true facts swept aside in the ensuing hysteria.

From these newspaper reports - before the ‘flying saucer’ mythology got a firm grip on popular imagination - we can locate Kenneth Arnold’s earliest expressions. He described the objects as “flat like a pie pan and somewhat bat-shaped,” according to Pendleton, Oregon, East Oregonian of June 26. They were “crescent-shaped planes”, stated the Oregon Journal on June 27, reporting Arnold as saying: “They looked like they were rocking. I looked for the tails but suddenly realized they didn’t have any. They were half-moon shaped, oval in front and convex in the rear.”

It’s clear that Arnold is not describing ‘flying saucer’ UFOs as we have come to picture them. In a formative radio interview for KWRC on 26 June, he confirms these odd details: “I couldn’t find any tails on ‘em. And, uh, the whole, our observation of these particular ships, didn’t last more than about two and a half minutes and I could see them only plainly when they seemed to tip their wing, or whatever it was, and the sun flashed on them. They looked something like a pie plate that was cut in half with a sort of a convex triangle in the rear.”
(End)

Absolutely, the earliest evidence tends to be more trustworthy.

Problem, of course, in the Kelly-Hopkinsville case, is that there's hardly any, just snippets of direct quotes and even these are questionably accurate.

The further issue which makes Kelly-Hopkinsville so difficult to analyse, is that we do have later evidential claims attributed, yet no background as regards where they originated.

This is a perfect example which has now come up.

There was a two page, Sunday feature article published by 'The Tennessean' on 13 October, 1957 - see my post #504.

In a reply - see post #510 @EnolaGaia explained the many apparent problems with this article's content.

However, I now note that therein, 'Lucky' Sutton is quoted as explaining about the creatures 'locomotion':

"They walked or ran with a curious floating motion, their feet touching ground "just every so often, if then"."

It's actually in keeping with what we have been discussing and again comparative with herons skimming. You can see this demonstrated in YouTube videos - their trailing legs do occasionally drop downwards "just every so often".

This looks like an exact quote, so where had it come from?

There was this guy once, who wrote about something similar...

"It's like looking for a needle that no one ever lost in a haystack that never was"

Charles Fort, 'The Book of the Damned'

Going back to the "Real bright, with an exhaust [...]", quote, can we assume:

- Garrison could not have picked the quote up from Davis, due to publication dates

- It seems unlikely, although possible, that Davis would have got that quote from Garrison, as there is no particular reason she would have sought out (or even found, in a pre-Internet age) an obscure 1966 article as a source

So, we have to think there is at least one more article / interview out there, perhaps a newspaper article where clippings were kept.

Just to clarify for anyone not sure what this relates to, as it goes back quite a few posts. It concerns the origin of a quote used by Isabel Davis in her 1978 publication, 'Close Encounter at Kelly and Others of 1955', namely: "real bright, with an exhaust all the colors of the rainbow" ...

I am presuming his source can not be Isabel Davis' use, as 'Close Encounters...' had not yet been published, unless some of the content was released before 1966? ...
Isabel Davis' report was indeed published prior to 1966. I can now confirm it was disseminated in printed form as early as 1957.

I've gone back and dug through the newsletters of the Civilian Saucer Intelligence (CSI) group, based in New York City. They are accessible as PDF files hosted by CUFOS at:

http://www.cufos.org/CSI_NY/

Davis and Bloecher were principal investigators in CSI's "investigation section." Davis was also secretary and / or treasurer for the group during the late 1950s (and probably beyond). She and Bloecher were also two of the assemblers / editors of the group's newsletters.

In the following posts I'll give excerpts from the group's newsletters pertaining to Davis, her investigation in Kentucky, and the production of her report.

NOTE: The numbering of the newsletters isn't the same as the numbering of the PDF files (which may represent some sort of IDs within the series).

The first CSI newsletter to cite the Kelly / Hopkinsville incident was document (newsletter?) #13. It contains a transcription of a lecture given by Frank Edwards. Edwards addresses the Kelly / Hopkinsville incident as one among many UFO incidents he cites in his lecture. The newsletter heading for this lecture report is:
CIVILIAN SAUCER INTELLIGENCE OF NEW YORK
Public Meeting of April 28, 1956
Pythian Temple, 135 W. 70th St., NYC
Speaker: FRANK EDWARDS

On page 8 of this lecture report there's a footnote attached to his mention of the Kelly incident. It says:
1/ For a full report on the Kelly landing case, with data obtained by on-the-spot investigation, see C.S.I. Research Report No.l, published in August, 1956.

It would seem clear this refers to a report expected to appear some months later, and that would almost certainly be the Davis report. It's not clear that this prospective CSI Research Report No. 1 saw the light of day as expected.

This edition of the CSI newsletter is undated, so it's anyone's guess when it was issued. The footnote was added after the date of the lecture (28 April). The next edition of the newsletter was dated 6 May, 1956.

This strongly suggests the allusion to an August publication must have been forward-looking speculation.

SOURCE: CSI Newsletter #13
http://www.cufos.org/CSI_NY/CSI_NY_#13.pdf

The next CSI newsletter mention of Davis' report occurs in document #16 (aka Issue No. 4), dated 24 June 1956:
Special Report on Hopkinsville "Landing": Readers will recall the reported landing of last August 21 in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, at which time a number of small humanoid creatures allegedly besieged a farmhouse full of people. On Monday, June 11, Isabel Davis went down to "Hoptown" and spent the rest of the week making a thorough investigation of the report. She returned to New York the following Saturday armed with extensive notes, drawings and photographs. In her opinion, the events took place as reported, although minor details were at odds with some of the published material about the case. Among the rumors she was able to scotch immediately was the yarn about the family's "mysterious disappearance" shortly after the incident - they had not been spirited away either by the Air Force or "little men from Mars." Miss Davis could not establish definitely that more than one creature at a time had been seen; nor were they the fabled color "green." A full special report will be compiled for members and made available shortly. In the meantime, a special members' meeting will be held at which time Miss Davis' investigation will be covered, and all questions answered. (See announcement following.)
(Page 2; Emphasis added)

Announcement of Special Members' Meeting: On Monday, July 9, at 8:30 pfm., a special members' meeting will be held at the home of the Sec'y-Treasurer, Lex Mebane, at which time details of the Hopkinsville investigation will be given by Miss Davis. We hope those members who are seriously interested will take advantage of this meeting. Directions: 138 West 92nd Street is a brownstone front 1 1/2 blocks west of Central Park West. Amsterdam Ave. bus (uptown) stops at 91st, IRT Broadway subway at 91st and 96th St.(express). Climb stoop and ring bell.
(Page 3; Emphasis added)

SOURCE: http://www.cufos.org/CSI_NY/CSI_NY_#16.pdf

The next mention comes in document #17 (aka Issue No. 5), dated 21 September, 1956. Members are advised that Davis' report has been delayed.
CSI Meetings: Since the July 9th members' meeting, at which time Isabel Davis discussed her investigation at Hopkinsville, Kentucky, no other meetings have been held. ...
Special Report on Hopkinsville: Miss Davis's report on the Hopkinsville affair has been delayed by unforeseen circumstances. However, new material received from Bud Ledwith, in H'ville, is being incorporated into the original, making it an even more comprehensive and solid document. It will be another month yet before it is available. Thanks to Mr. Ledwith, we now have the famous screen through which the creatures were fired upon by the Suttons.
(Page 2)

SOURCE: http://www.cufos.org/CSI_NY/CSI_NY_#17.pdf

The next mention doesn't occur until CSI Publication No. 19 (Issue No. 7), dated 1 May 1957.
Report on Hopkinsville Finished, Must Still be Printed: The long-awaited "Hopkinsville landing report," by CSI members Isabel Davis and Arthur Ledwith, has now been completed in preliminary typescript form, under the title of The Landing at Kelly - August 21-22, 1955. This landing case -which the authors consider genuine - is one of the most protracted and most extraordinary on record. The authors have investigated it very thoroughly and they present their results in detail, including maps, diagrams, photographs, and sketches of the "little men" as described to Mr. Ledwith by the eye-witnesses the day after the incident occurred.

The report, 80 pages long as it now stands, will be made available to members after final revisions have been made, a fair copy has been typed, and a photo-offset edition has been printed.
(page 6)

SOURCE: http://www.cufos.org/CSI_NY/CSI_NY_#19.pdf

This is the last mention of the Davis report found in the archived CSI newsletters.

It's tempting to presume the report was made available in some form and the matter was closed. However, I can't conclusively confirm this happened.

RE: Modifications to Davis' original manuscript between 1957 and 1978.

The CSI announcement states the initial manuscript was 80 pages long. This manuscript could not have included any material based on Andre's 1959 investigation or the Blue Book documents that weren't available until 1974.

The 1978 version of the Davis report (Part One in the D & B report) runs some 94 pages, not counting the Blue Book documents and discussion of them (Chapter V).

The 1978 report is typewritten, and we know the content has been modified in some places (if not completely re-done). However, without a specimen of the alleged 1957 edition we have no way of knowing how much had been added (or, for that matter, revised / rewritten) between 1957 and 1978.

The more I've looked back over what we have discussed, the more interested I am in something in the Blue Book file, reproduced at p.107 of Davis's book. This is 1st Lt. Charles N. Kirk's copy of Maj. John Albert's statement that Lankford had heard a radio broadcast which had led her to send off for an article from the "Kingdom Publishers, Fort Worth 1"; the article contained a picture which "appeared to be of a little man but was actually of a monkey, painted silver". Albert then claimed that Lankford had excitedly discussed the article (possibly with members of her church, although Kirk / Albert are a bit unclear).

Davis dismisses this with the usual hand waving; there was no radio in the Sutton household, Albert didn't talk to Lankford directly, no evidence of such an article, etc. Of course this overlooks the fact that Lankford could have listened to a radio somewhere else (even at the church itself if it was a religious broadcast, which seems likely when a bit of digging is done on "Kingdom Publishers", see below).

I don't believe the alleged article was ever identified but Google shows that was indeed a "Kingdom Publishers" in Ft Worth in the mid 50s, producing Pentecostal church literature. The key figure seems to have been a John A. Lovell who wrote pamphlets, or sermons turned into pamphlets, with titles like "The Coming Storm: Thirteen Prophetic Sermons" and "This Week in Prophecy" - no doubt full of signs, marvels and the snares and delusions of evil forces. It might be possible to track the original pamphlet down, but if not we can imagine what it might have looked like.

Now. Davis is very critical of the way Albert characterises Lankford's religion, but she does seem to have been a religious person nonetheless. It is plausible that she could have heard a radio broadcast and sent off for one of Lovell's printed sermons. This also, to me, makes it quite plausible that she could have misperceived some quite ordinary events and creatures as a "little man"; or , perhaps more likely, that the impression this article and illustration of a little silver man created on her directly inspired some of the younger members of the family to have a good joke at her expense, or to create an ingenious plot to get her to move to Hopkinsville.

Last edited:
The more I've looked back over what we have discussed, the more interested I am in something in the Blue Book file, reproduced at p.107 of Davis's book. This is 1st Lt. Charles N. Kirk's copy of Maj. John Albert's statement that Lankford had heard a radio broadcast which had led her to send off for an article from the "Kingdom Publishers, Fort Worth 1"; the article contained a picture which "appeared to be of a little man but was actually of a monkey, painted silver". ...
About the purported picture of a silver monkey ...

On p. 110 Davis mentions recognizing the alleged picture as a well-known UFO-related hoax ...
If the picture as described did exist, it can be tentatively identified as a photograph published April 1, 1950, in the Neue Illustrierte newspaper of Cologne, West Germany. It shows two men in trench coats holding between them, suspended by the arms, a small silvery figure resembling an artist's manikin. This notorious picture has surfaced repeatedly in sensational UFO literature over the years.

Her description is accurate, but she cites the wrong date of publication ...

This is the second of two April Fools hoaxes published in different German newspapers in 1950 and 1952. For more about these hoax photos see:

German 1950s Alien Photos (Silver Man; Monkey Man; Hoaxes)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...en-photos-silver-man-monkey-man-hoaxes.30195/

That's a great find!

Davis's main objection to the Blue Book story is that it claims Lankford went to a religious meeting the night of the events, and it was at that meeting she discussed the article and picture. As this was untrue, she feels the whole story is dubious.

However, Kirk was taking Albert's statement 2 years later - plenty of time for details of chronology to get mixed up. It appears that a copy of the article text, without the picture, was also attached to the Blue Book file at one point (but subsequently lost). If the article was obtained by Albert at the time the events happened then surely that is a strong indication that Lankford did in fact have a copy of it at some point? The only doubtful element is exactly when she supposedly discussed it with other people from her congregation.

Back