• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'd love to get the box set of DS9 - but I may not get the time to watch it all.
Definitely the most entertaining of the Star Trek series.

Oh yes - and my favourite character was definitely Quark.

All of DS9 is on Netflix, we've been watching an episode a week (old skool) and are about half way through the final season.

I think Garak might be my favourite character, although O'Brien is always good value. MrsCarlos is from Dublin and she's constantly amused by the fact that it's Meaney in space.

TNG, Voyager and Discovery are on there too, not sure about TOS and Enterprise.

I can "old school" you one better. We don't have cable TV or anything like that - strictly broadcast. However, the Heroes and Icons (H&I) subchannel shows TOS, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise 6 days a week. We can watch Trek almost any time we want.

Wait.......how did this become the Star Trek thread??????

(Edit: This and the following few comments moved from another thread.... before anyone says why did I ask this damn fool question)

Last edited:
I always get confused between star trek and star wars :rolleyes:

Star Wars is the fantasy based action adventure movie series that essentially ignores science and the nature of the Universe.

Star Trek is the somewhat intellectual and scientific science fiction TV show that led to many sequels and an action adventure movie series that essentially ignores science and the nature of the Universe.

I've binged Lower Decks over the last couple of days. It's a little behind the curve of adult animation, and especially adult science fiction animation in a world where Rick and Morty are several seasons in, but I've enjoyed it a great deal. It's a little reminiscent of Final Space, a little less so of Futurama. Although I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, I've seen enough of it over the years to get most of the in-jokes. I would have to say, it's brave of such a major ongoing franchise to enter the arena of adult animation and to spoof itself, within it's own canon, so unreserved.

Lucas did have a plethora of ideas, not all of them good, for the Star Wars "universe" but it was all jumbled and incoherent and was repeatedly revised over time.
Yeah, much like Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry, the creator had ideas that.... needed reworked to be usable. Gene Coon is a large part of why the original Star Trek was the show we saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've binged Lower Decks over the last couple of days. It's a little behind the curve of adult animation, and especially adult science fiction animation in a world where Rick and Morty are several seasons in, but I've enjoyed it a great deal. It's a little reminiscent of Final Space, a little less so of Futurama. Although I'm not much of a Star Trek fan, I've seen enough of it over the years to get most of the in-jokes. I would have to say, it's brave of such a major ongoing franchise to enter the arena of adult animation and to spoof itself, within it's own canon, so unreserved.

Yeah, I kind of like it's the "forgotten" Trek show right now, because it can carry on its own way, amusing itself. It still doesn't make me laugh, but oddly as proper, not necessarily comedy, ST episodes it plays just fine. Also, Tawny Newsome is doing great work as Mariner.

News item about the new Star Trek series.

No trailer as of yet, but the cast of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds had some big announcements to make for Star Trek Day… including some familiar (now recast) faces.

Strange New Worlds is a show meant to cover the period of time that Captain Christopher Pike was in command of the USS Enterprise, before Kirk’s legendary tenure. Basically, it’s the show that Trek’s first pilot episode “The Cage” might have produced had the network not demanded extensive changes to the lineup.

But there were plenty of familiar faces on board the Enterprise at that time, and two prominent recasts have been announced: Jess Bush in the role of Nurse Christine Chapel and Celia Rose Gooding… who will take on the role of Cadet Nyota Uhura. Gooding was on hand to personally announce how “thrilled and honored” she was to take up the role made famous by the unforgettable Nichelle Nichols. There’s a brief glimpse of her from the show in the video above.

Babs Olusanmokun will play Doctor M’Benga, who appeared in Original Series episodes “A Private Little War”‘ and “That Which Survives.” ...

https://www.tor.com/2021/09/08/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-casting-announcements-uhura-chapel/

I always get confused between star trek and star wars :rolleyes:

trib.jpg

There's really little common ground, other than they both take place in space.

News item about the new Star Trek series.

No trailer as of yet, but the cast of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds had some big announcements to make for Star Trek Day… including some familiar (now recast) faces.

Strange New Worlds is a show meant to cover the period of time that Captain Christopher Pike was in command of the USS Enterprise, before Kirk’s legendary tenure. Basically, it’s the show that Trek’s first pilot episode “The Cage” might have produced had the network not demanded extensive changes to the lineup.

But there were plenty of familiar faces on board the Enterprise at that time, and two prominent recasts have been announced: Jess Bush in the role of Nurse Christine Chapel and Celia Rose Gooding… who will take on the role of Cadet Nyota Uhura. Gooding was on hand to personally announce how “thrilled and honored” she was to take up the role made famous by the unforgettable Nichelle Nichols. There’s a brief glimpse of her from the show in the video above.

Babs Olusanmokun will play Doctor M’Benga, who appeared in Original Series episodes “A Private Little War”‘ and “That Which Survives.” ...

https://www.tor.com/2021/09/08/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-casting-announcements-uhura-chapel/

I was going to say I was pleased there's still an actress around called Babs, but then Google informed me he's a bloke. A jiu jitsu master, too, so I shall make no further comment.

I enjoyed this. It reminds you of the quirkiness of the first four films:

I thought, the voice of the evil supercomputer sounds really familiar on this episode of ST: Lower Decks. Checked the credits and... Jeffrey Combs! What a nice surprise (though maybe it shouldn't be, he's been on loads of Trek).

(marhawkman said: RE: Star Wars)
Yeah, much like Star Trek and Gene Roddenberry, the creator had ideas that.... needed reworked to be usable. Gene Coon is a large part of why the original Star Trek was the show we saw
I am amazed that Roddenberry, a pretty good writer, in the Next Generation days insisted that humans in the federation never experience conflict (in violation of the most basic rule of storytelling) and that they don't use anything like money (contradicting precedent and offering no workable alternative).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am amazed that Roddenberry, a pretty good writer, in the Next Generation days insisted that humans in the federation never experience conflict (in violation of the most basic rule of storytelling) and that they don't use anything like money (contradicting precedent and offering no workable alternative).
The funny thing is that he never actually applied that as a proper rule. Earth itself might have been like that... but... not the colonies. EVEN IN TNG!!!!! Like that planet Tasha Yar came from. It had outlaw gangs that ignored the Federation law seemingly with impunity.

The funny thing is that he never actually applied that as a proper rule. Earth itself might have been like that... but... not the colonies. EVEN IN TNG!!!!! Like that planet Tasha Yar came from. It had outlaw gangs that ignored the Federation law seemingly with impunity.
Yeah, he got pretty cranky towards the end, applying his rules where he thought they made sense and ignoring them when they got in the way.

Jeffrey Combs probably holds the record for playing the most species on Star Trek.
Has anyone noticed that the Kzinti are on Lower Decks? Those creatures originally from Niven's Ringworld, who showed up in the old Star Trek cartoon.

Jeffrey Combs probably holds the record for playing the most species on Star Trek.
Has anyone noticed that the Kzinti are on Lower Decks? Those creatures originally from Niven's Ringworld, who showed up in the old Star Trek cartoon.
I really wish someone would make a Ringworld film.

Back