• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT411

AgProv

Doctor of Disorientation Studies, UnseenUniversity
too North to be Midlands, too south to be North
Mysterious and esoteric... Scunthorpe!

For one night only in Watford! - The King! Elvis Presley!

Hunt Emerson is back!

(Agprov, doing a pp for maximus otter)

First impressions: good to see Hunt Emerson is back with a cracking phenomenonix. Gods damn, he nicks an idea I had. Must remember the tinfoil hat when I have speculative concepts like this which i take good care to guard by not writing them down anywhere. (Terry Pratchett, while he was alive, once pinched a notion of mine and wrote it into a Discworld novel.)

The Unsettling Toys Service who promise to remove haunted dolls, et c, and incarcerate them in a place where they can no longer give cause for fear.

They state that if their bespoke service fails, and a cursed doll escapes and makes its way home, they will do a follow-up mission and recapture it at no extra cost. Now... being a world-weary cynic, I find myself wondering if this could "happen" from time to time, just to drum up publicity for new business.... but then, I'm a cynical git.

Last edited:
Hang on, no-one's mentioned the cover story: 'The mystical origins of Dune' - their tagline, not a new book.
Featuring great art from Pascal Blanche.

And the return of Hunt Emerson. Issue looks great this month, and that's before I actually read anything.

Hang on, no-one's mentioned the cover story: 'The mystical origins of Dune' - their tagline, not a new book.
Featuring great art from Pascal Blanche.

And the return of Hunt Emerson. Issue looks great this month, and that's before I actually read anything.
Well... I never actually read the Dune books. nor saw the film. (I know. Big confession and a lacuna in my SF knowledge). I've got a vague idea of what the story's about and that the bloke who played Picard in Star Trek is in it somewhere, but I'd be going in cold into a realm of which I know little. So I don't feel qualified to speak of this or review the article. I leave this to others!

My 411 just dropped through my letterbox! Haven't even opened the envelope yet and I'm already excited.

Very fitting in the sidebar shorts that a story from Florida is right next to one from Queensland. Florida has a particular reputation for being the American state where people are strange and strange things happen to them. I'm reliably told that to everybody else from Australia, Queensland and its inhabitants make Florida look like a centre of mundane sanity. There is something quite satisfying about this juxtaposition. And the stories do not dissapoint. (Woman called Tabitha Booze done for a DUI in Florida; Queenslander goes on a drug-fuelled rampage and attributes it to being "sleep-deprived"). Is there a thread on this forum where people from around the world nominate their own local Florida, or Queensland, and provide provenance? if not, there should be.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlyInFlorida

The hat is one of my metal Steampunk jobs. Hunt captured it well.

Caricature.jpeg

It was short and sweet, but the Forum piece on the Elvis seance record was one of the best things this issue, really wacky and wittily written.

Well... I never actually read the Dune books. nor saw the film. (I know. Big confession and a lacuna in my SF knowledge). I've got a vague idea of what the story's about and that the bloke who played Picard in Star Trek is in it somewhere, but I'd be going in cold into a realm of which I know little. So I don't feel qualified to speak of this or review the article. I leave this to others!

I struggled through Dune back in my teenage years and thought it very overrated.
The FT article though explaining the links to ancient Hebrew terms and Talmudic scripture, was absolutely fascinating and has prompted me to give the Dune saga a second chance, in the hope that I may appreciate its subtleties a bit more now.

Back