• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

No, it's because Thor doesn't have a mobile phone. He'll have to send a raven.

I think the answer to that is "Millions of dollars worth of salary".

Heh heh indeed. But it does create a pretty huge plot void.

Did you see that Chris Hemsworth actually did the voice for the tiny Frog Thor that appeared in Loki? It was uncredited but I read that he was on the phone to the director (or Zoom or something) and he just reeled off the ribbits for her.

2835.jpg

The second episode of What If... is a big improvement on the first. We really got to see familiar characters in a different context. Great fun.

I dunno, it seemed the answer to what if T'Challa was in GotG is it would be much the same, but not as good. Also, the series has quickly turned into "Spot the Reference" which is getting annoying. Plus, surely Nebula should have ginger hair? That was the deal breaker, right there!

I dunno, it seemed the answer to what if T'Challa was in GotG is it would be much the same, but not as good. Also, the series has quickly turned into "Spot the Reference" which is getting annoying. Plus, surely Nebula should have ginger hair? That was the deal breaker, right there!
As passionate as I am about ginger hair (I consider it a deviant fetish to which I wouldn't admit were I posting under my real name, and it's done me no good), I nonetheless enjoyed this episode. It was, at least, a story we hadn't seen, while last week's wasn't significantly different from the movie continuity.

What If...? a bit better on episode 3, but the use of Black Widow after all the controversy... does this mean Marvel own the images of the actors they employ and can do what they want with them, even after they have fallen out with Marvel?

Rather it means the cartoon was done before the fallout.

Rather it means the cartoon was done before the fallout.

Yeah, doubtlessly what with Chadwick Boseman being in it last week, but I don't think Scarlett did the BW voice and they've used her face. Crispin Glover went to court for less.

Considering all the merchandise with her on it, I would say Disney have definitely got the rights to use her likeness.

A barrel of laffs this week. "What if Doctor Strange was shit at magic?" basically. I thought this show was supposed to be fun?

A barrel of laffs this week. "What if Doctor Strange was shit at magic?" basically. I thought this show was supposed to be fun?
The What If comic (especially the second series) started off as interesting explorations of what could happen if one small detail was changed, then ended up just being a series of thin excuses to show the violent deaths of popular characters. I hate to say it, but I feel the telly show could go the same way in time.

The What If comic (especially the second series) started off as interesting explorations of what could happen if one small detail was changed, then ended up just being a series of thin excuses to show the violent deaths of popular characters. I hate to say it, but I feel the telly show could go the same way in time.

It already has - last week's was a serial killer of superheroes devastating The Avengers. I thought it was the best episode, but in retrospect it was pretty meanspirited.

What kind of an ending was that?! Will it be continued in next week's What If...? Another excuse to slaughter the superheroes.

I think the second episode of What If...? is the only episode I've enjoyed. Bit disappointing overall. Nonetheless, it's getting good reviews and seems popular.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: The creation story of Shang Chi, his father Xu Wenwu found the Ten Rings of power 1,000 years ago and trough history has been a conqueror and Robber Baron. In 1996 he found Ta Lo a mystical village, but is beaten by it's guardian. Ying Li. They fall in love and have two children, Shang Li and his sister Xiang. Tragedy strikes and Shang Chi is raised to be an assassin, his sister trains in secret. The story is about Xu wanting his children to join with him in a strange quest but things don't go smoothly. Modern style gin battles and those involving mystical weapons abound, well choreographed as are the martial arts sequnces. One great fight aboard a runaway San Francisco bus on those hills. We also have a Cthuluesque devourer of souls with it's flying minions who battle a Chinese Flying Dragon (he's the good guy). There's also a faceless "winged wombat" and other mythological beasts. A great adventure. Directed and Co-Written by Destin Daniel Cretton. 8/10.

In cinemas.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: The creation story of Shang Chi, his father Xu Wenwu found the Ten Rings of power 1,000 years ago and through history has been a conqueror and Robber Baron. In 1996 he found Ta Lo a mystical village, but is beaten by it's guardian. Ying Li. They fall in love and have two children, Shang Li and his sister Xiang. Tragedy strikes and Shang Chi is raised to be an assassin, his sister trains in secret. The story is about Xu wanting his children to join with him in a strange quest but things don't go smoothly. Modern style gin battles and those involving mystical weapons abound, well choreographed as are the martial arts sequences. One great fight aboard a runaway San Francisco bus on those hills. We also have a Cthuluesque devourer of souls with it's flying minions who battle a Chinese Flying Dragon (he's the good guy). There's also a faceless "winged wombat" and other mythological beasts. A great adventure. Directed and Co-Written by Destin Daniel Cretton. 8/10.

In cinemas.
Just back from the cinema, so can I second this. Great adventure, enormous fun, and a great comedy turn from an unexpected returning character from another Marvel movie. Shang Chi was created in the early 70's as a response to the wave of Kung Fu, movies. If you liked those there's lots of entertainment to be had from this, and with dragons.

I'm glad the reviews have been good for this movie. I don't really have any great love for martial arts movies, and haven't been looking forward to this one.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: The creation story of Shang Chi, his father Xu Wenwu found the Ten Rings of power 1,000 years ago and trough history has been a conqueror and Robber Baron. In 1996 he found Ta Lo a mystical village, but is beaten by it's guardian. Ying Li. They fall in love and have two children, Shang Li and his sister Xiang. Tragedy strikes and Shang Chi is raised to be an assassin, his sister trains in secret. The story is about Xu wanting his children to join with him in a strange quest but things don't go smoothly. Modern style gin battles and those involving mystical weapons abound, well choreographed as are the martial arts sequnces. One great fight aboard a runaway San Francisco bus on those hills. We also have a Cthuluesque devourer of souls with it's flying minions who battle a Chinese Flying Dragon (he's the good guy). There's also a faceless "winged wombat" and other mythological beasts. A great adventure. Directed and Co-Written by Destin Daniel Cretton. 8/10.

In cinemas.
Spoilers for god’s sake. Spoilers. If I wanted to know what happens I’d read a Guardian review.

Spoilers for god’s sake. Spoilers. If I wanted to know what happens I’d read a Guardian review.

Not spoilers, my scene setting takes place in the first 15 minutes. The rest, fights, monsters, are what you get in any review.

Wow, a What If...? this week where nobody died horribly, so that's a step up. Just give Howard the Duck his own episode!

It turns out What If...? had a story arc all along! What a twist!

And What If...? ended in a big fight! What an easily predictable development! Still, it's the last we'll hear of Chadwick Boseman, so that's quite poignant.

And What If...? ended in a big fight! What an easily predictable development! Still, it's the last we'll hear of Chadwick Boseman, so that's quite poignant.
I didn't completely dislike the last two episodes of this series, but on the whole, I haven't thought much of it and am not eager for more.

I didn't completely dislike the last two episodes of this series, but on the whole, I haven't thought much of it and am not eager for more.

I agree, it was OK at best, but seemed a bit pointless, story-wise.

I watched Black Widow too, and it was unexpectedly horrible, real Dr Mengele shit. The nadir was Natasha and Yelena joking about having their wombs forcibly removed. Hilarious, I'm sure.

I watched Black Widow too, and it was unexpectedly horrible, real Dr Mengele shit. The nadir was Natasha and Yelena joking about having their wombs forcibly removed. Hilarious, I'm sure.

I see that's included with my Disney+ subscription already. Didn't take long.

Back