• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've “known” a few vegetables too.

d4syajs-b055f490-21a3-430a-bfe9-aaa3caec5824.gif

maximus otter

it has gotten to the point now where I don't take a blind bit of notice of any new health scare/information that gets bandied about in the press. Eat butter (eggs, beef, curly kale), don't eat butter (eggs, beef, curly kale). How about just eating sensibly? Protein, carbs, fat, proportionate to your physical needs and how you are inclined ethically. Me: mostly fruit and veg with a more than fair amount of fish and a slightly more than fair amount of meat, chocolate, and cake. Also, alcohol, water, coffee, pretty much in that order, descending volume.

I can't stand faddy diets, moronic journalism, and scaremongering. Maybe it's because I was raised on a farm in the 70s...home-grown, home-cooked, with a side order of dung; I'm not terribly dainty when it comes to food!
I recently looked up a 'prostate-friendly' diet for Techy (he's at that age :( ) and thought 'ello, this is familiar...

Lower fat, more fresh fruit and veg, less booze, less red meat etc - practically the same as the healthy heart diet, the lower cholesterol diet, the preparing for pregnancy diet etc. :chuckle:

She didn’t make herself look an idiot. She is an idiot. And she shouldn’t be allowed to keep the dog. Dogs are biologically designed to process certain types of food and salad isn’t high on that list.
It's obvious, from the video, the dog was craving meat

'people from lower socioeconomic status groups are still the biggest meat eaters.' - they're not eating fillet steak and artisan bacon every day. Poor quality processed meat products are deadly.

Before the pandemic, I played league darts every Friday, with the venues being usually working men's clubs.
These were unashamedly working class and would, inevitably, have a meat raffle towards the end of the evening. Think I was the only one who declined to participate. There was also fairly slim pickings for the food provided at the end of the darts match. If I was lucky, there were cheese and onion or egg sarnies, but it would often be "bangers in a basket" or beefburgers.

Before the pandemic, I played league darts every Friday, with the venues being usually working men's clubs.
These were unashamedly working class and would, inevitably, have a meat raffle towards the end of the evening. Think I was the only one who declined to participate. There was also fairly slim pickings for the food provided at the end of the darts match. If I was lucky, there were cheese and onion or egg sarnies, but it would often be "bangers in a basket" or beefburgers.
Been there, many times.

As you say, event buffets are usually meat-heavy. Worst I can remember was a xmas meeting for a support group I help run that was catered by a member who provided pre-packed supermarket 'party plates'.
They were were all meat/fish based. No good to anybody who was vegetarian or vegan or non meat-eating for religious reasons. Possibly useless for GF diets too.

Even your darts team got the odd cheese or egg butty!

They used to do a weekly meat raffle at the conservative club I was a member of.

that's very poor.

I've been going to the same two churches on a semi weekly basis since 2007. There's always been at least one labelled veggie option at dinners and at the "free lunch" we offer monthly. I sometimes do an aubergine and sweet potato bake which goes well.

Same with the cafe after Mass. We've usually had a vegan something at fete sales for maybe ?five years and it's getting more common.

There's no ruling that this must happen, just something that does happens. No idea if people are veggie or vegan, why should I know? The stuff always gets eaten however :twothumbs:

edit to add:

@escargot says

'people from lower socioeconomic status groups are still the biggest meat eaters.' - they're not eating fillet steak and artisan bacon every day. Poor quality processed meat products are deadly.

too damn right! We are poor and working class, socially conservative parishes. If WE can manage the food options (in a way I consider to be graceful and genuinely inclusive) then so can other people! :mad:

Another edit to add: there is also a diabetic-friendly option offered, from the Kitchen's diabetic friendly recipe book. That is organised.

Last edited:
I'm quite 'lucky' in a way because I always feel crap after eating processed stuff (when I did used to eat meat) and even non-meat products today; crisps/cakes/biscuits etc so I don't partake. I suppose cheese is classed as processed of course, but even with that there are some bloomin terrible ones that I would never eat.

Oh my god do people still do meat raffles? I haven't heard that term since I was a kid, I'd forgotten they were a thing.

I do eat meat but very, very occasionally, MrsCarlos is about 90% vegan so most of the food we have in the house is vegan. Except the cat food.

Unfortunately the vegan alternatives to eggs and cheese are crap (at the moment) so it will be some time before I consider making the move. Melted vegan cheese is the most difficult washing-up challenge I've ever encountered, it's like beige tar and surely can't be good for your insides?

Living near Brighton we're spoiled for veggie and vegan options, you can't move for falafels and knitted sandals down here.

Oh my god do people still do meat raffles? I haven't heard that term since I was a kid, I'd forgotten they were a thing.

I do eat meat but very, very occasionally, MrsCarlos is about 90% vegan so most of the food we have in the house is vegan. Except the cat food.

Unfortunately the vegan alternatives to eggs and cheese are crap (at the moment) so it will be some time before I consider making the move. Melted vegan cheese is the most difficult washing-up challenge I've ever encountered, it's like beige tar and surely can't be good for your insides?

Living near Brighton we're spoiled for veggie and vegan options, you can't move for falafels and knitted sandals down here.

I haven't yet found a decent vegan cheese that you'd want to have with crackers at the end of a meal or in a ploughman's lunch but, credit where it's due, I had an absolutely delicious vegan pizza at Spinners in Reading the other day. It really did taste like a nice tangy Mozzarella or Emmental.

Not veggie or vegan but happy to eat veggie or vegan food, I suspect that vegan egg alternatives are always going to be nasty or simply little or nothing like eggs. Have had two vegan cheeses, one was like cheap highly processed, bland cheeses which are likely to have little dairy in them anyway. The other was pretty much completely tasteless, odd texture too.

Someone in the USA on another message board said they worked in a very cheap cheese factory which made cheese for prisons and schools. What they churned out was almost entirely derived from plant oil and flavoured with lactic acid and maybe a little powdered milk, so was often vegan anyway.

Oi! Nothing wrong with Falafel!
MrsF has found some vegan cheese that isn't too bad, but you're certainly correct about the washing up problem when you've melted some. As for eggs, if they can just come up with a vegetarian scotch egg (I have made my own, but it's a lot of faff), then I'll be sorted.

Not veggie or vegan but happy to eat veggie or vegan food, I suspect that vegan egg alternatives are always going to be nasty or simply little or nothing like eggs. Have had two vegan cheeses, one was like cheap highly processed, bland cheeses which are likely to have little dairy in them anyway. The other was pretty much completely tasteless, odd texture too.

Someone in the USA on another message board said they worked in a very cheap cheese factory which made cheese for prisons and schools. What they churned out was almost entirely derived from plant oil and flavoured with lactic acid and maybe a little powdered milk, so was often vegan anyway.
Do you think that they are deliberately made to be nasty, to try and discourage all but the most determined people from being vegan?

Do you think that they are deliberately made to be nasty, to try and discourage all but the most determined people from being vegan?

Exactly, they are breeding the most hardcore vegans possible! Even our tinfoil hats won't save us!

I had a pack of fresh cheese'n'onion rolls, like sausage rolls only with cheese and onion instead of sausage meat, in the fridge for my tea.
Teach asked if he could have some and I said yeah, go for it.

Got back all hungry and he'd eaten the lot. :mad:

So I'm now answering everything he says with 'Is that cheese and onion?'
As in 'Have you seen my phone?' 'The cheese and onion phone?'
'I'm going for a bike ride, think I'll wear my grey coat.' 'Is that the cheese and onion one?'
'You're NOT funny.' 'Nah, I'm cheese and onion.'
etc

Yep .. a consultant surgeon dealing with my repeating kidney stones told me to cut down on processed meat but high quality meat is expensive .. I've been identifying what I like that has the same vitamins etc since then and I do enjoy most veg because they have more flavour than meat but I've started having a quarter pounder beef burger (processed to f**k) with different sauces or/and cheese or a fried egg to get me started for the day. I have a light healthy lunch and the evenings are even lighter, sometimes just a bowl of all bran with green top milk and honey on top.

I'm off round my mates later this evening and we're going to try to re create a McDonald's 'Fillet Of Fish' .. I've got the buns, fish fingers, rubber cheese and some tartare sauce sachets I swiped from Morrison's café .. I'm going to google what's in a fillet of fish in case I've missed a secret ingredient, the last filet of fish I bought at a Maccy D's was an insult to how I remembered them .. limp and also a shocking £3.69 which was the same price as a Big Mac but it's half the size.

Last edited:
Back