• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

Calling all the king's horses and all the king's men ... Dumpin' Humpty's MIA / kidnapped / 'in the wind' ...

HumptyDumping.jpg
Sculpture of Humpty Dumpty on a toilet stolen in Wisconsin

Police in Wisconsin are attempting to locate a $1,400 bronze sculpture of nursery rhyme character Humpty Dumpty sitting on a toilet.

The Madison Police Department said the sculpture, named Dumpty Humpty, was stolen from an Art Fair on the Square vendor's booth. ...

The vendor said she had seen two men lingering around her booth ... and the sculpture vanished along with the men when she left the stand for a short time.

Police said they found security camera footage of the two men described by the vendor leaving the area with the sculpture.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...sconsin-Art-Fair-on-the-Square/6061632931946/

Odd crime - somebody's removing QR codes from e-bikes in both London and New York. I suspect it's a local competitor in both cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58680605

Lime fights back against QR code snatchers

Lime, the e-bike and scooter-hire company, is modifying its vehicles to stop people peeling off the QR codes.

To hire a vehicle, customers must scan the QR code using the Lime app.

However, customers in London and New York City have complained that many bikes have had the codes removed, leaving them unusable.

Lime said vandals had been peeling the stickers off. It has now started sealing the QR codes behind a plastic layer to thwart trouble-makers.

It told the BBC its data showed the codes were not typically being removed by Lime users hoping to keep a bike to themselves, but by antisocial non-riders.

Rest of article is at the link.

A strange case indeed even if she was insane.

A Dublin woman who believed she was possessed by the spirit of Princess Diana and killed her housemate to "protect Prince William" has been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

Grace Miano, 53, admitted to killing Malawian man Limbani 'Robert' Mzoma, 27, at her home in Tudor Lawns in Foxrock, Co Dublin, on November 1, 2018.

The Kenyan woman claimed she inhabited by the spirit of Princess Diana to stop a plot by Kate Middleton who was trying to put Prince William and Prince Harry in danger and had cut off Mzoma's genitals "to protect women." ...

At a previous hearing, a consultant psychiatrist told the court that in his opinion the accused was "possibly the most floridly schizo-affected person" he had ever met. ...

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/dublin-woman-possessed-princess-diana-not-guilty-murder-insanity

A strange case indeed even if she was insane.

A Dublin woman who believed she was possessed by the spirit of Princess Diana and killed her housemate to "protect Prince William" has been found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.

Grace Miano, 53, admitted to killing Malawian man Limbani 'Robert' Mzoma, 27, at her home in Tudor Lawns in Foxrock, Co Dublin, on November 1, 2018.

The Kenyan woman claimed she inhabited by the spirit of Princess Diana to stop a plot by Kate Middleton who was trying to put Prince William and Prince Harry in danger and had cut off Mzoma's genitals "to protect women." ...

At a previous hearing, a consultant psychiatrist told the court that in his opinion the accused was "possibly the most floridly schizo-affected person" he had ever met. ...

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/dublin-woman-possessed-princess-diana-not-guilty-murder-insanity
Must have a clever lawyer.

Man Busted For Sign Language Death Threat

A man jailed for allegedly threatening the life of a woman transmitted the menacing message in sign language via a video text, Florida police say.

rjsowle21.jpg

Robert Sowle, 35, was arrested Monday evening on a felony charge and booked into the Pinellas County jail. Locked up on $10,000 bond, he is scheduled for a court appearance this afternoon.

According to a criminal complaint, Sowle sent the victim a video text on September 28 “describing in sign language ‘I’ll kill you. OK? I’ll kill you.’”

The woman told police that Sowle, who is deaf, was upset because he believed she took his mail.

https://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/sign-language-death-threat-728516

maximus otter

That's rather considerate really. I would just have written it on a note.

Quite what this guy intended to achieve is a mystery but he wasted the time of at least 3 police cars & a fire engine.

CCTV catches motorcyclist staging accident and feigning injury

A teenage motorcyclist has been given a fixed penalty notice after he staged an accident by crawling under his bike and pretending to be injured.

Nottinghamshire Police said the 19-year-old feigned slipping in and out of consciousness and was taken to hospital after telling medics he could not feel his legs or the entire right side of his body.

CCTV footage captured him staging the crash in Botany Avenue, Mansfield, on 1 May.

Police gave him a fixed penalty notice as an alternative to prosecution but have not said how much he was asked to pay.

Assistant Chief Constable Rob Griffin said: "Every hoax or inappropriate call our emergency call handlers receive has the potential to delay us from responding to genuine emergencies and put someone else's life in danger."
Short video.

The disguise is strange, the crime is horrific :-(

Man jailed for throwing acid over junior doctor in Brighton​

A medical student who heavily disguised himself as a woman before throwing acid at a junior doctor in Brighton has been sentenced to a total of 15 years.

Milad Rouf, 25, turned up at a property in Steine Gardens on May 20, 2021 wearing a costume designed to make him look like a black woman of larger build.

When the victim opened the door, Rouf threw acid over her face, neck and chest. The victim, who was known to Rouf through their studies, suffered life-changing injuries as a result of the attack.

Despite his efforts to hide his identity, Rouf was tracked down by police as a result of extensive CCTV enquiries in the city. He was arrested and charged, and admitted causing a dangerous / noxious thing to be taken / received with intent to burn / maim / disfigure / disabled / do grievous bodily harm when he appeared in court on Monday, August 16.

At Lewes Crown Court on Thursday (October 7), Rouf of Newport Road, Roath, Cardiff, was sentenced to 11 years imprisonment and four years on an extended licence as a dangerous offender.

The initial response

Police were called to Steine Gardens around 4.20pm on Thursday, May 20 after receiving reports of a noxious substance being thrown over a 24-year-old woman.

Officers swiftly attended the scene and after ensuring the victim received immediate medical attention, began to carry out a number of initial enquiries.

Witnesses described the suspect as a black woman wearing a black jacket and a clear Covid visor. The suspect had also handed the victim a note, which named the property’s previous tenant and demanded money.

The investigation

Police began conducting house-to-house enquiries and identified a nearby property with doorbell footage. This showed the suspect wearing a black jacket, white trainers, blue jeans and carrying a blue backpack – first walking past before the attack, and then fleeing the scene afterwards.

There's more detail on the investigation here.

The disguise is strange, the crime is horrific :-(

Man jailed for throwing acid over junior doctor in Brighton​

A medical student who heavily disguised himself as a woman before throwing acid at a junior doctor in Brighton has been sentenced to a total of 15 years.

Milad Rouf, 25, turned up at a property in Steine Gardens on May 20, 2021 wearing a costume designed to make him look like a black woman of larger build.

When the victim opened the door, Rouf threw acid over her face, neck and chest. The victim, who was known to Rouf through their studies, suffered life-changing injuries as a result of the attack.

Despite his efforts to hide his identity, Rouf was tracked down by police as a result of extensive CCTV enquiries in the city. He was arrested and charged, and admitted causing a dangerous / noxious thing to be taken / received with intent to burn / maim / disfigure / disabled / do grievous bodily harm when he appeared in court on Monday, August 16.

At Lewes Crown Court on Thursday (October 7), Rouf of Newport Road, Roath, Cardiff, was sentenced to 11 years imprisonment and four years on an extended licence as a dangerous offender.

The initial response

Police were called to Steine Gardens around 4.20pm on Thursday, May 20 after receiving reports of a noxious substance being thrown over a 24-year-old woman.

Officers swiftly attended the scene and after ensuring the victim received immediate medical attention, began to carry out a number of initial enquiries.

Witnesses described the suspect as a black woman wearing a black jacket and a clear Covid visor. The suspect had also handed the victim a note, which named the property’s previous tenant and demanded money.

The investigation

Police began conducting house-to-house enquiries and identified a nearby property with doorbell footage. This showed the suspect wearing a black jacket, white trainers, blue jeans and carrying a blue backpack – first walking past before the attack, and then fleeing the scene afterwards.

There's more detail on the investigation here.
What a horrible kind of person to do that!

Secret camera catches ‘friend’ trashing stillborn baby’s grave

A man who posed as a supportive friend to grieving parents while repeatedly vandalising their daughter’s grave was caught betraying them using a hidden camera.

Sarah Bernasconi-Parsons, 39, and her partner Mark, 42, learnt of Mark Plaister’s betrayal when they set up CCTV over their daughter Maggie’s grave after it was damaged on several occasions.

They were shocked at what the footage revealed, especially after Plaister, 35, had been the one to initially alert them to the crime.
Plaister messaged Sarah one day in 2020 to tell her Maggie’s grave had been damaged.

‘When he messaged me to say Maggie’s grave had been trashed, we rushed down to the cemetery and he met us there. I was so upset because all her ornaments had been trashed.

Over the following month Maggie’s grave was vandalised a further five times.

In a bid to find out who was behind the vandalism the couple set up their own camera and hid it in a bunch of flowers.

When it captured Plaister trashing the grave, the couple were stunned and reported him to the police.

The following morning they went to the cemetery to check on Maggie’s grave where they caught Plaister in the act.

Sarah said: ‘I began screaming and my husband ran over and detained him and kept him there until the police came. He admitted to all six acts of vandalism, there and then.

‘I asked him: “Why did you do it? Why us?” and he replied: “Only six times.” I was sickened.’

In January, Plaister appeared before Burnley Magistrates where the 35-year-old pleaded guilty to six counts of criminal damage between May and June 2020.

Plaister was sentenced to six months in prison suspended for 12 months.

He was also ordered to carry out 25 days of rehabilitation work, was placed on an electronic curfew for eight weeks and was made subject to a restraining order preventing him from going near Maggie’s grave until further notice.

The judge also ordered him to pay £350 in compensation to Sarah and Mark, money which the couple said they would donate to charity.

This Pennsylvania fellow may end up doing time for being so desperate to "Do The Dew" that he broke into a house and took a single bottle of Mountain Dew.
Police: Man breaks into Huntingdon County home, steals Mtn Dew

A Huntingdon County man was arrested for burglary after police say he broke into a home and stole a bottle of Mtn. Dew.

Matthew Lane, 34, is facing felony burglary charges after breaking into a home in Blairs Mills Thursday afternoon. ...

Police were called just after 3 p.m. Oct. 7 after Lane broke into the home in the area of Crow Road. The victim told police that Lane entered his home without permission and took a bottle of Mtn Dew from the fridge.

Lane was arrested for burglary and was placed in Huntingdon County Prison on $75,000 bail. ...
SOURCE: https://www.wearecentralpa.com/top-...s-into-huntingdon-county-home-steals-mtn-dew/

First snake attack by viper failed so he used a cobra.

An Indian man, who was convicted for killing his wife by making a cobra bite her, has been punished with a rare double life sentence.

Sooraj Kumar was arrested last year after his wife, Uthra, died from a snakebite. Police began investigating after her family alleged murder, saying Sooraj had been harassing them for dowry.

On Monday, a court found him guilty of releasing a cobra onto the bed while Uthra slept. The 25-year-old homemaker was found dead in her home in May last year. Her family became suspicious because Uthra had been bitten by a Russell's viper just weeks earlier. She was recovering from the first snakebite when she was attacked by the cobra.

Police said their investigation pointed to Sooraj being behind both attempts. They also arrested a man who had helped him procure the snakes - he later turned "approver" and helped police piece together the case.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-58839298

Several people killed and more injured in bow and arrow attack in Norway.

"Several people have been killed and others injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them.

Police announced an incident in the town of Kongsberg south-west of the capital Oslo at around 18:30 local time (17:30 BST).

Chief Oeyvind Aas said a suspect had been caught and seemed to have acted alone.

The suspect reportedly moved throughout the town, and authorities have cordoned off several large areas.

Media reports say the attacker opened fire at a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg's west side. Residents were ordered to stay indoors.

The suspect has now been taken to a police station in the town of Drammen, police said."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58906165

"Several people have been killed and others injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them.

Police announced an incident in the town of Kongsberg south-west of the capital Oslo at around 18:30 local time (17:30 BST).

Chief Oeyvind Aas said a suspect had been caught and seemed to have acted alone.

The suspect reportedly moved throughout the town, and authorities have cordoned off several large areas.

Media reports say the attacker opened fire at a Coop Extra supermarket on Kongsberg's west side. Residents were ordered to stay indoors.

The suspect has now been taken to a police station in the town of Drammen, police said."

Can't see that being a recurve, must have been a compound.

update

Five people have been killed and two more injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them

update

Five people have been killed and two more injured in Norway after a man used a bow and arrow to attack them

"Police said officers responding to the incident were also shot at with arrows.....Both the hospitalised victims are in intensive care. They include an off-duty police officer"

"The victims were all aged between 50 and 70, Chief Saeverud told reporters on Thursday morning.
He said they were most likely killed after the police first confronted the attacker."

Instead of pussyfooting around trying to take the terrorist alive and risking more victims, couldn't they just have shot the fucker?

Admitting to murder so that he could get off the strees.

A homeless man who walked into a police station to admit to a killing he committed almost 40 years ago has been jailed for life for murder.

Anthony Kemp was 21 when he bludgeoned Christopher Ainscough with a marble ashtray after they met on a night out in London in December 1983. Now aged 59, Kemp confessed to the killing in July, telling police "I'm not going to sleep on the streets."

He was sentenced at the Old Bailey to a minimum of 15 and a half years in jail. The court previously heard Mr Ainscough, 50, had invited Kemp back to his home in Kilburn in the early hours of the morning and was on the sofa when he was attacked. His body was found after the head waiter failed to turn up for work at a restaurant in the City.

The original murder investigation was closed in 1985 when no leads were found, but was reopened after Kemp confessed to the killing.

On 28 July he turned up at Chiswick police station and began throwing stones at the window.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-58912035

This could go in WTF but it's a strange crime, and a disturbing one, in the 21st century (though as a species we seem to be returning to medieval times) – a Norwegian man has been apprehended after killing 'several' people with a bow and arrow. The word several fills me with woe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/13/several-killed-bow-and-arrow-attack-norway

I thought the book and film We Need to Talk About Kevin were ridiculous, and one of the reasons was that the mass murderer in it used a bow and arrow, which I thought was very far-fetched. After this tragedy, I'm less sceptical about that (although it's still a ridiculous story, basically The Omen only really serious and softpedalling the Satanism).

I thought the book and film We Need to Talk About Kevin were ridiculous, and one of the reasons was that the mass murderer in it used a bow and arrow, which I thought was very far-fetched. After this tragedy, I'm less sceptical about that (although it's still a ridiculous story, basically The Omen only really serious and softpedalling the Satanism).

I kind of liked the film, the lengths to which Tilda Swinton was prepared to go to save Kevin from being tried as an adult. Her acting made it for me I guess.

I kind of liked the film, the lengths to which Tilda Swinton was prepared to go to save Kevin from being tried as an adult. Her acting made it for me I guess.

She's the best thing about it, I agree, but it was too artificial for me, I didn't buy that this kid was the Antichrist from out of nowhere. If anything, it was a hunch Tilda's character had that got out of control like in a trashy horror flick. Best bits were the ostracising, that at least rang true.

She's the best thing about it, I agree, but it was too artificial for me, I didn't buy that this kid was the Antichrist from out of nowhere. If anything, it was a hunch Tilda's character had that got out of control like in a trashy horror flick. Best bits were the ostracising, that at least rang true.

Good rather than great psychological horror mostly imho.

Back