• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The real Harry Potter sells a first edition for £27,500.

A rare first edition of a Harry Potter novel has been sold by a namesake of the teenage wizard.

Harry Potter, 33, a sales manager from Waterlooville in Hampshire, received a copy of Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone in 1997. The hardback copy was bought by his "flabbergasted" father when he realised JK Rowling's character's name matched that of his son. It sold at auction to a private buyer for £27,500.

Mr Potter was eight when the first in the series of JK Rowling's blockbuster novels came out. He said he has spent the time since having to convince people Harry Potter really is his name.

"People just don't believe me, when I was a young footballer, a referee threatened me with a red card for saying my name was Harry Potter. When I met my wife, Philippa on holiday in Greece, she didn't believe me either."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-58912478

The real Harry Potter sells a first edition for £27,500.

A rare first edition of a Harry Potter novel has been sold by a namesake of the teenage wizard.

Harry Potter, 33, a sales manager from Waterlooville in Hampshire, received a copy of Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone in 1997. The hardback copy was bought by his "flabbergasted" father when he realised JK Rowling's character's name matched that of his son. It sold at auction to a private buyer for £27,500.

Mr Potter was eight when the first in the series of JK Rowling's blockbuster novels came out. He said he has spent the time since having to convince people Harry Potter really is his name.

"People just don't believe me, when I was a young footballer, a referee threatened me with a red card for saying my name was Harry Potter. When I met my wife, Philippa on holiday in Greece, she didn't believe me either."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-58912478

I honestly thought it would go for a lot more, given how big the phenomenon is and and how small the first printing was.

I honestly thought it would go for a lot more, given how big the phenomenon is and and how small the first printing was.
Yes only 500 in the first print run, of which 300 were sent to libraries, I think the most a 1st made at auction was £40,000, I'm guessing that it is all based on the condition of the book. It it still a hell of a lot for a book printed less than 25 years ago, there are older, more socially important and rarer books around which have sold for a lot less.

"The Grapes of Wrath was first published in 1939, by The Viking Press. Commonly found flaws in the first edition of this work include age tanning, rolling of the spine, and chips to the edges of the pages and boards. Signed copies of a First Edition in excellent condition can fetch over $20,000."

https://biblio.co.uk/the-grapes-of-wrath-by-steinbeck-john/work/4224#:~:text=The book was first published,condition can fetch over $20,000.

Yes only 500 in the first print run, of which 300 were sent to libraries, I think the most a 1st made at auction was £40,000, I'm guessing that it is all based on the condition of the book. It it still a hell of a lot for a book printed less that 25 years ago, there are older, more socially important and rarer books around which have sold for a lot less.

"The Grapes of Wrath was first published in 1939, by The Viking Press. Commonly found flaws in the first edition of this work include age tanning, rolling of the spine, and chips to the edges of the pages and boards. Signed copies of a First Edition in excellent condition can fetch over $20,000."

https://biblio.co.uk/the-grapes-of-wrath-by-steinbeck-john/work/4224#:~:text=The book was first published,condition can fetch over $20,000.

Again, it's just the size of the phenomenon, I appreciate it lacks the social and historical weight of many other books. I though the first edition was 1.500 and had no idea how many went to libraries, so it's even rarer than I imagined.

Again, it's just the size of the phenomenon, I appreciate it lacks the social and historical weight of many other books. I though the first edition was 1.500 and had no idea how many went to libraries, so it's even rarer than I imagined.
"Hardcover first-edition first printings of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone have become the "Holy Grail" for Potter collectors. Only 500 were published, 300 of which were issued to libraries."

https://www.mugglenet.com/harry-potter/harry-potter-series/rare-books/

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore: Mads Mikkelsen takes over as Grindelwald and is very good indeed in the part, at times he's seemingly channeling Hannibal. There is a poignant scene as the film opens though where he meets Dumbledore (Jude Law) over a cup of tea and they philosophise over their lost love but there is no rapprochement. Some great CGI but the action is important as Grindelwald challenges for the position of Supreme Mugwump, Much of the action takes place in a Germany where Grindelwald has subverted it's Ministry of Magic and there are allegories with Nazi Germany as his supporters rally and his Gestapo like goons combat Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne) and his team. A prison rescue sequence has plenty of wonderful creatures and monsters but outstays it's welcome. Still, this film is an improvement on The Crimes of Grindelwald even if it would have benefited from a 15 minute cut in it's running time. Directed by David Yates, written by J.K. Rowling and Steve Kloves. 8/10.

In cinemas,

Probably not to most Harry Potter fan's taste but it exists so I'm posting it. Dub Bass Harry Potter/John Williams ..

He's lucky he wasn't shot!

Firearms officers attended a hotel following a report of a man carrying a large knife - but it turned out to be a Harry Potter fan with a wand.

The report was made to Leicestershire Police on Sunday morning.

The incident was recounted on a police Facebook page by a local police constable who also attended the hotel in Enderby.

He said no harm was caused to anyone and joked that there was "no sign of Voldemort".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68270095

Nominative determination as well - Matt Underwood. Vid at link.

Creating Harry Potter wands makes woodturner a star

His Harry Potter wand videos have amassed more than one million views on TikTok. But woodturner Matt Underwood is more surprised than anyone that his hobby has made him a social media star.

"It's crazy to think I have this many followers," he said.

Mr Underwood, from Worcester, now aims to remake every wand from the Harry Potter movie franchise. He said he hoped that something often seen as an “old man hobby” would become "cool" with a younger audience.

Video edited by Fosiya Ismail

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-68453761

There's an old feller around our way who hunts out suitable wood and turns it into great walking sticks - crooks, thumbsticks, carved handles etc. A few have spent shotgun shells as ferrules! I myself has one of his thumbsticks. We helped him sell a large number that he'd created during lockdown. He does it as a hobby, not a business.
I think the chappie above is of the similar sort. :)

Nominative determination as well - Matt Underwood. Vid at link.

Creating Harry Potter wands makes woodturner a star

His Harry Potter wand videos have amassed more than one million views on TikTok. But woodturner Matt Underwood is more surprised than anyone that his hobby has made him a social media star.

"It's crazy to think I have this many followers," he said.

Mr Underwood, from Worcester, now aims to remake every wand from the Harry Potter movie franchise. He said he hoped that something often seen as an “old man hobby” would become "cool" with a younger audience.

Video edited by Fosiya Ismail

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-68453761
He would also make a great Hobbit.

I love Miriam Margolyes more and more every time she speaks .. she's hilarious .. (and lest we forget she was also the voice of the Cadbury Caramel bunny).

' ...fans have been sent into a frenzied meltdown on social media after Miriam Margolyes, who played Professor Pomona Sprout in the film series, told adult fans to "grow up" and get "over it".'

"I do Cameos [personalised video messages] and people say they are doing a Harry Potter-themed wedding, and I think, 'Oh gosh what is their first night of fun going to be?'"
The actress, who recently posed naked behind a stack of iced buns for a Vogue photoshoot, later told ABC News Australia that once teens are through puberty, "it's time to forget about it and go on to other things". :chuckle:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68552815

Strangely I only noticed recently that there is a grave close to where mum is buried of a Harry Potter. Always covered in fresh flowers.
I know a graveyard near to me and when you look there are Potters, Thomas Riddle, Scrymgour, Moodie, McGonagle and a few others. But then JK did have a flat overlooking this area when she started out.

I love Miriam Margolyes more and more every time she speaks .. she's hilarious .. (and lest we forget she was also the voice of the Cadbury Caramel bunny).

Loved, I agree, but in this household she is first and foremost Wilhelmina Warlock.

' ...fans have been sent into a frenzied meltdown on social media after Miriam Margolyes, who played Professor Pomona Sprout in the film series, told adult fans to "grow up" and get "over it".'

"I do Cameos [personalised video messages] and people say they are doing a Harry Potter-themed wedding, and I think, 'Oh gosh what is their first night of fun going to be?'"
The actress, who recently posed naked behind a stack of iced buns for a Vogue photoshoot, later told ABC News Australia that once teens are through puberty, "it's time to forget about it and go on to other things". :chuckle:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68552815
I kind of understand what she means, but she's underestimating how comforting literary worlds can be. They don't change, the characters are always there, always behaving the same way - for those who sometimes find the Real World a bit much, escaping into well-trodden book worlds offers a lot of reassurance. Who is anyone to say this is wrong?

I kind of understand what she means, but she's underestimating how comforting literary worlds can be. They don't change, the characters are always there, always behaving the same way - for those who sometimes find the Real World a bit much, escaping into well-trodden book worlds offers a lot of reassurance. Who is anyone to say this is wrong?
It makes them happy and they are not harming anyone so best of luck to them. Some people support football and that is seen as normal. Some take their love of football / books into their everyday lives. One thing I will say, I've never heard of the police having to break up a fight between Harry Potter fans and readers of The Lord of the Rings.

It makes them happy and they are not harming anyone so best of luck to them. Some people support football and that is seen as normal. Some take their love of football / books into their everyday lives. One thing I will say, I've never heard of the police having to break up a fight between Harry Potter fans and readers of The Lord of the Rings.
Came close in our library staffroom at times and I won't go into the, could the Elves take out the Sardaukar incident.`

She's just trolling.

She's an actress and paid to do the job.
This whole thing of 'she should be LOYAL to the franchise who gave her fame and money' really takes away the rest of her career.
Sometimes I'm amused by her, sometimes I'm irritated. But - after reading her first autobiography - it becomes very clear that she has worked for her money and she doesn't owe bleedin' Harry Potter or Rowling anything. This is more like fans - of any age - overstating the franchises importance.
It's like fans of Brazil claiming that Robert De Niro, Ian Holm, or Bob Hoskin's walk-on parts were Oscar-worthy and that they should bow down in gratitude to Terry Gilliam for asking them to take part.

I'm guilty of revisiting the well trodden literary world. Never put 2 and 2 together like you have done but you're right of course.

I read my books as a form of escapism in (mainly) historical settings. It gives me the feeling of being educated in some conditions. Then again, I re-read many because I enjoy the characters and the plot. It's like re-watching a whodunit ... you enjoy the work, not the puzzle.

She's an actress and paid to do the job.
This whole thing of 'she should be LOYAL to the franchise who gave her fame and money' really takes away the rest of her career.
Sometimes I'm amused by her, sometimes I'm irritated. But - after reading her first autobiography - it becomes very clear that she has worked for her money and she doesn't owe bleedin' Harry Potter or Rowling anything. This is more like fans - of any age - overstating the franchises importance.
It's like fans of Brazil claiming that Robert De Niro, Ian Holm, or Bob Hoskin's walk-on parts were Oscar-worthy and that they should bow down in gratitude to Terry Gilliam for asking them to take part.
Most people work hard for their money though and, whilst we don't owe our employers anything at all, if we were treated well by them and made a decent amount of money working for them, then I would have thought a 'nod, smile and acknowledgement' degree of loyalty might be called for. By all means call out any bad treatment. But don't totally diss those whose money helped pay your wages.

There's nothing special about actors or actresses other than that they do what they do in front of a large number of people and then they get to write books about it. Their opinions of the job are no more noteworthy than, say, mine of being a till operator in a supermarket (and my opinions of my customers could fill VOLUMES).

I imagine that Miriam is a bit fed up of people, including interviewers, forever bringing up her role in the Harry Potter films, particularly as she's had an extensive and interesting career besides. Maybe the likes of Ian McKellen feel much the same.

Many actors feel that way. They appreciate enjoyment of their 'big name' work, but enjoy it more when a fan mentions a different role - especially when it's something they personally enjoyed.
For Margoyles, if I met her to talk to, I'd ask about her in the Miss Fisher Mysteries filmed in Oz.

Back