• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Home-Security Video Devices: Privacy & Legal Issues

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
JACKSON, Miss. — Strapped for cash and facing a sharp rise in homicides, city leaders here are expanding police surveillance powers to allow residents and business owners to send live feeds from many types of security cameras — including popular doorbell cameras — directly to the city’s real-time command center.

iu

The new use of this livestreaming technology by police, which is undergoing a final legal review in Jackson, is drawing interest from other small cities that don’t have the resources to build their own surveillance systems. But some have opted out, citing concerns about privacy violations. Civil liberties advocates say those concerns are valid, warning that the technology could lead to increased police scrutiny of people’s everyday activities and more arrests for low-level offenses.

The move made Jackson, which has struggled to keep up with advances in high-tech crime-fighting, one of two dozen places in the country where police agencies inked deals this year with Fusus, a small Georgia company that aims to make it easier for American law enforcement agencies to build networks of public and private security cameras.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ss-live-home-security-video-alarming-n1249566

maximus otter

Not sure if this fits here, but I didn't know where to post.

A judge has ruled that security cameras and a Ring doorbell installed in a house in Oxfordshire "unjustifiably invaded" the privacy of a neighbour, in a case that could have implications for home surveillance devices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58911296
Seems to more to this case.
The fact he told people there was a fake camera to deter thieves whilst it was real is sketchy.

Seems to more to this case.
The fact he told people there was a fake camera to deter thieves whilst it was real is sketchy.
Really? Not read that.
Yes, reading between the lines, this seems to be part of a campaign of harassment between the 2 parties involved.

"Hannah Hart, privacy expert at security consultancy ProPrivacy, told TechRadar: "The defendant had excessively placed cameras across his property, including the garden, a shed and even on his neighbor's wall. This is an extensive amount of surveillance that far outstrips what is necessary to monitor a property, and brings into question the defendant's intent."

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/court-rules-that-ring-video-doorbell-invaded-neighbors-privacy

I was going to get one of these doorbell cameras, but I'll have to think about installing a camera more discreetly.
It seems we can't protect our own properties now.

I was going to get one of these doorbell cameras, but I'll have to think about installing a camera more discreetly.
According to some of the reports, there are features which, can limit your cameras sensor range so it only works on your property, amongst other things to make sure you are not invading your neighbours privacy

Yes, me too. I don't see a problem with it focussing on the neighbours drive or vice versa (depends whether you get on with your neighbour though I suppose) as that could come in handy if they had any problems. In fact the police will often ask the neighbours if they've got cctv if you've had an incident at your house. And what if your door is just off the pavement by a few feet- would that be illegal I wonder?

Yes, me too. I don't see a problem with it focussing on the neighbours drive or vice versa (depends whether you get on with your neighbour though I suppose) as that could come in handy if they had any problems. In fact the police will often ask the neighbours if they've got cctv if you've had an incident at your house. And what if your door is just off the pavement by a few feet- would that be illegal I wonder?
My front door is on the street and I have one of those doorbells. I had to get one as I had been having a lot of trouble with staff from a nearby care home dropping medical waste in my bins - or on the pavement outside my house if they couldn't be arsed lifting the bin lid. Really nasty stuff too - apart from facemasks and gloves there were soiled dressings, incontinence pads etc. The doorbell cam finally put a stop to that.
I have signs up next to it and nobody has complained - got a few dirty looks from care home staff who got a bollocking because they were caught :)

My front door is on the street and I have one of those doorbells. I had to get one as I had been having a lot of trouble with staff from a nearby care home dropping medical waste in my bins - or on the pavement outside my house if they couldn't be arsed lifting the bin lid. Really nasty stuff too - apart from facemasks and gloves there were soiled dressings, incontinence pads etc. The doorbell cam finally put a stop to that.
I have signs up next to it and nobody has complained - got a few dirty looks from care home staff who got a bollocking because they were caught :)
What's wrong with these people?

As you've already realized medical waste costs more to get rid of as it's incinerated.

I'd be mentioning this to your local council as if they are not dumping it with you they'll be dumping it elsewhere.

God knows what a shitshow the nursing home is if they are that desperate.

As you've already realized medical waste costs more to get rid of as it's incinerated.

I'd be mentioning this to your local council as if they are not dumping it with you they'll be dumping it elsewhere.

God knows what a shitshow the nursing home is if they are that desperate.
It was reported and the council, at first the staff were all given instructions not to use my bins as there were proper facilities in the care the should be using. Most followed the instructions but a few continued and so notices were put on my bins but it still continued so I got the camera and filmed the offenders and sent the pics to the council who came down on them like a ton of bricks.
The manager of the care home met me and told me that the ones who had been caught on camera had been given written warnings and any staff who worked for agencies were also warned and the agencies told that if it happened again the council would take action against them.
As an added extra I bought a lock for the bin so in the early days of that it was fun to watch some idiots trying to open it before realising that the metal bar and padlock was holding it shut.

Back