• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Might be worth popping in to you cop shop and asking if they have any you could have

That's where we got the first one, but the local station is sadly now closed to the public (cuts).

The local library used to have some available to pick up too on the Community Table, but it's also now shut!

eBay might be my best bet... we also have a sign on the letterbox stating no junk mail, but clearly the JWs have got around that one by paying full whack for postage. Cunning.

Yeah, I've seen basic 'No Cold Callers Please' stickers in Poundland and the like, but if anything they seem a bit too polite and possibly more likely to act as a magnet for ne'er-do-wells, by suggesting that a vulnerable older person might live at the address.

We also have a 'no junk mail' sign visible, and that's totally ignored - I've just extracted a huge wodge of advertising bumf from the mailbox only this morning. Believe it or not, I once worked as a Direct Marketing Distributor (junk mail deliverer) during an otherwise fallow period of employment, and I always respected any signs requesting no junk mail. Some people hated it, though some people were really into it. When offers were going round providing discount vouchers for a well-known fried chicken establishment, I used to get chased down the street by people wanting more of them...

I preferred the old cold-caller sticker we had since it was very visible, had the police crest on it, and detailed exactly which legislation a caller would be breaching, and the potential punishment, if they went on ahead and rang the bell anyway.

I've just learned that apparently the stickers can still be ordered from the police non-emergency number, so I might order up half a dozen and pass them out to other neighbours - just to get the jump on any doorstep evangelists, as and when they resume their knock-knock activities.

Oddly enough, I received one of these on Thursday just past - a handwritten envelope addressed to 'The Householder', with a second class stamp on it.

The letter inside appeared to be a colour photocopy of a handwritten letter, with the same text as detailed above regarding the anniversary of Jesus's death, plus a QR code to scan.

We received one of these in our mailbox today although it was addressed to 'Our Dear Neighbour'. Most bizarre. It's in the recycling bin now.

Yeah, I've seen basic 'No Cold Callers Please' stickers in Poundland and the like, but if anything they seem a bit too polite and possibly more likely to act as a magnet for ne'er-do-wells, by suggesting that a vulnerable older person might live at the address.

We also have a 'no junk mail' sign visible, and that's totally ignored - I've just extracted a huge wodge of advertising bumf from the mailbox only this morning. Believe it or not, I once worked as a Direct Marketing Distributor (junk mail deliverer) during an otherwise fallow period of employment, and I always respected any signs requesting no junk mail. Some people hated it, though some people were really into it. When offers were going round providing discount vouchers for a well-known fried chicken establishment, I used to get chased down the street by people wanting more of them...

I preferred the old cold-caller sticker we had since it was very visible, had the police crest on it, and detailed exactly which legislation a caller would be breaching, and the potential punishment, if they went on ahead and rang the bell anyway.

I've just learned that apparently the stickers can still be ordered from the police non-emergency number, so I might order up half a dozen and pass them out to other neighbours - just to get the jump on any doorstep evangelists, as and when they resume their knock-knock activities.
Try phoning 111 and requesting one from your local police or from trading standards

""No Cold Callersstickers can be obtained from your local policing team or from your local Trading Standards office".

I found a message on my answering machine the other day. I couldn’t make it all out as it was quite distorted but it was something about ‘the way forward’ then gave a website address. It was from the bloody Jehovas Witnesses - I don’t know if it was intended for someone else or they’re now phoning random numbers instead of visiting due to Covid..

Anyway, preferable to a visit - easier to just delete rather than telling them to fuck off.

I found a message on my answering machine the other day. I couldn’t make it all out as it was quite distorted but it was something about ‘the way forward’ then gave a website address. It was from the bloody Jehovas Witnesses - I don’t know if it was intended for someone else or they’re now phoning random numbers instead of visiting due to Covid..

Anyway, preferable to a visit - easier to just delete rather than telling them to fuck off.

The way the world is going they are getting less dangerous and annoying and I'd take their brand of utter crap over some of the other shit being peddled at the moment.

I know lots of Witnesses, and have employed two or three over the years.

Most of them are extremely polite and hard working (though a little distant.)

They know me well enough now to know that they could never convert me but I still receive their literature (which I do read as parts can be very interesting.), and have been directed to their website to watch a few of their films. I admitted to thme that I was pleasantly surprised at them. If you enjoy the Bible as history (as I do) then you can get into their films quite well as they are well made and have a lot of historical authenticity.

Their beliefs, while not mine, are not as 'out there' as some - for example, although they believe Man has only been around for 6000 years or so, they are quite prepared to accept an earth that is billions of years old.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that although some of their beliefs harm their members (no blood transfusions and shunning) they are (and would never be) any threat to anyone else on the planet - which is why I don't have any problems with them. :)

I know lots of Witnesses, and have employed two or three over the years.

Most of them are extremely polite and hard working (though a little distant.)

They know me well enough now to know that they could never convert me but I still receive their literature (which I do read as parts can be very interesting.), and have been directed to their website to watch a few of their films. I admitted to thme that I was pleasantly surprised at them. If you enjoy the Bible as history (as I do) then you can get into their films quite well as they are well made and have a lot of historical authenticity.

Their beliefs, while not mine, are not as 'out there' as some - for example, although they believe Man has only been around for 6000 years or so, they are quite prepared to accept an earth that is billions of years old.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that although some of their beliefs harm their members (no blood transfusions and shunning) they are (and would never be) any threat to anyone else on the planet - which is why I don't have any problems with them. :)
I must say, I have never had a problem with them, and most are (in contrast to the more usual varieties of Christians) sincere in acting according to their beliefs. At a time when the Catholic church was sucking up to Hitler they alone stood up against Nazism and paid a heavy price in the concentration camps. Decent but a bit misguided, I would say, as is anyone who takes "Christianity" of the St Paul variety seriously. One seemed quite interested in hearing why I didn't go for their sect so I wrote out a reasoned account of how Paul hijacked early Christianity, and completely ruined it, but he never replied..

One seemed quite interested in hearing why I didn't go for their sect so I wrote out a reasoned account of how Paul hijacked early Christianity, and completely ruined it, but he never replied..
I'm inclined to agree with you there. In fact it should really be called 'Paulinity'.

The JWs were, let's say crucified, in that recent report on child abuse in religion.

I just politely tell them I'm agnostic and simple not at all interested. They peacefully leave, no issue same with the Mormons.

Some while ago - and damned if I could ever find it again - it might have been from Pinterest, the world's biggest time waster - I downloaded a sticker with an upside-down pentagram and a message saying -

"This house is protected by an energy you're not prepared to deal with.
Best if you think twice about why you're here."

I haven't had any annoying visitors since . . . .

I just politely tell them I'm agnostic and simple not at all interested. They peacefully leave, no issue same with the Mormons.
I was speaking metaphorically. I wouldn’t be so rude as to tell them to F.O. My usual route is when the bell rings, as you approach the door you hear conversation the other side - they’re always in twos & always talking. Look through spy hole, see religious types, ignore. No harm done.

I remember one time years ago I had a call at the door & when I opened it the guy's opening gambit was something like ‘have you thought about how you’re going to spend eternity?’ I just started laughing.

Can’t remember if they were J.Ws., Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, or what. I don’t think I got that far.

I was speaking metaphorically. I wouldn’t be so rude as to tell them to F.O. My usual route is when the bell rings, as you approach the door you hear conversation the other side - they’re always in twos & always talking. Look through spy hole, see religious types, ignore. No harm done.

I remember one time years ago I had a call at the door & when I opened it the guy's opening gambit was something like ‘have you thought about how you’re going to spend eternity?’ I just started laughing.

Can’t remember if they were J.Ws., Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, or what. I don’t think I got that far.

I never get this, what are the options available should you make it to paradise? Nobody ever seems to know.

Witnesses believe in an earthly paradise, and here are two problems with this..

1) soon (very, very soon I was told the other day), this 'system' will end, 144,000 people will ascend to heaven and the rest of us will be judged by them, Jesus and God.

Not just that but EVERY HUMAN WHO HAS EVER EXISTED WILL BE RESSURECTED AND ALSO JUDGED.

a Large proportion of all these humans (GOOD AND BAD*) will be given a chance to live forever on the earth obeying God's rules.

Which is all fine and dandy, but we are overpopulated as it is without adding countless billions to our number, no one dying and children being born all the time. .

Not sure I like that 'paradise' very much!

*2.- if the bad are getting a chance along with the good, why do Witnesses even bother trying to convert people, or frankly exist?

Witnesses believe in an earthly paradise, and here are two problems with this..

1) soon (very, very soon I was told the other day), this 'system' will end, 144,000 people will ascend to heaven and the rest of us will be judged by them, Jesus and God.

Not just that but EVERY HUMAN WHO HAS EVER EXISTED WILL BE RESSURECTED AND ALSO JUDGED.

a Large proportion of all these humans (GOOD AND BAD*) will be given a chance to live forever on the earth obeying God's rules.

Which is all fine and dandy, but we are overpopulated as it is without adding countless billions to our number, no one dying and children being born all the time. .

Not sure I like that 'paradise' very much!

*2.- if the bad are getting a chance along with the good, why do Witnesses even bother trying to convert people, or frankly exist?
When they wrote the holy rules, they didn't think it through.
Lack of good logical sense makes it all invalid.

When they wrote the holy rules, they didn't think it through.
Lack of good logical sense makes it all invalid.
People who have settled for a belief system don't have to think it through, just go along with it because of their social contacts and community.

People who have settled for a belief system don't have to think it through, just go along with it because of their social contacts and community.

Ah! an unsafe generalisation! My first sighting of the day...

I quite miss the JWs. When i was younger and had more time i could happily spend hours arguing with them. My O level in RE came in quite useful. Now we live out in the sticks they are infrequent visitors, and the last time they appeared at the door i told them we were a Catholic household (a blatant lie but I couldn‘t be bothered) and off they toddled. They really really think they have the answer and they really want everybody to come on board so they can be saved which is quite sweet, and presumably is their appeal. Unless you’re born into it in which case it’s just normal i suppose.

I quite miss the JWs. When i was younger and had more time i could happily spend hours arguing with them. My O level in RE came in quite useful. Now we live out in the sticks they are infrequent visitors, and the last time they appeared at the door i told them we were a Catholic household (a blatant lie but I couldn‘t be bothered) and off they toddled. They really really think they have the answer and they really want everybody to come on board so they can be saved which is quite sweet, and presumably is their appeal. Unless you’re born into it in which case it’s just normal i suppose.
Not sure why they want to keep recruiting, when only 144,000 souls will go to Heaven.

Not sure why they want to keep recruiting, when only 144,000 souls will go to Heaven.

Recruiting is part of the religion. I believe Venus and Serena Williams did it (though now I hope they're too famous).

Back