• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

spurgled me gricklets
Next time I need an excuse to not go somewhere, I'll say I spurgled my gricklets. No one will dare question me.

Where do you stand on prunes?
This is the correct answer:
Outside, because it would be untidy to stand on them indoors. (Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.)

Over here, prunes come in polyvalent, non-recyclable plastic bags.
They are not syrupy. You have to make your own syrup by cooking them in water. Hence, we have stewed prunes, which are best avoided.

They are not syrupy. You have to make your own syrup by cooking them in water. Hence, we have stewed prunes, which are best avoided.
You can soak them gently instead and add them to cereal or porridge. Prunes can be reconstituted in water, tea of any variety, fruit juice or even wine or something stronger.

They don't need a whole night's steeping. A couple of hours is enough.
Prunes are great in desserts and they liven up smoothies NO end.

Well you lot have been no help at all in solving my dilemma of the sultanas and where I'm supposed to shove 'em, despite the fact that there'll be all hell to pay if I get it wrong. I'm going elsewhere for comfort and support. Sniff.
Sultanas? Chuck them out in the garden, where the birds will swoop in and eat them.

I asked the little African girl from the ministry house if she had lost her black cat yesterday and she asked me to let her know if I saw it again.
Today I saw it again so went to get her and she eventually managed to pick it up. However it scratched her and she dropped it so we spent
ages flushing it out of the bushes until it ran around the back again so we resumed looking for it.
Now the strange part is that while we were looking she looked at me and asked me about Jaidyn Leskie.
I had to think then told her it was a little boy left with a babysitter who was murdered but that there wasn't enough evidence to convict anybody.
I looked it up later and he died in 1997
I thought then why would an 11 year old ask about him as it happened before she was born.? It hasn't been on the news.
Her family is moving today and I haven't seen the cat since so I guess it will be fighting with the other 3 cats that like to hang out in the backyard.

I asked the little African girl from the ministry house if she had lost her black cat yesterday and she asked me to let her know if I saw it again.
Today I saw it again so went to get her and she eventually managed to pick it up. However it scratched her and she dropped it so we spent
ages flushing it out of the bushes until it ran around the back again so we resumed looking for it.
Now the strange part is that while we were looking she looked at me and asked me about Jaidyn Leskie.
I had to think then told her it was a little boy left with a babysitter who was murdered but that there wasn't enough evidence to convict anybody.
I looked it up later and he died in 1997
I thought then why would an 11 year old ask about him as it happened before she was born.? It hasn't been on the news.
Her family is moving today and I haven't seen the cat since so I guess it will be fighting with the other 3 cats that like to hang out in the backyard.
That is a strange one Iris, but it is sometimes strange what a child will come out with, apparently randomly.

Today I was off out to meet up with a friend, so I dug my Vans out of the cupboard where they have resided since I put them away at the end of summer. Before that they were being regularly worn, so lived in my middle room under the cupboard.

As I put them on, I thought 'these laces are short', and discovered a knot tied in the end of the left hand lace. It's tied moderately tightly, not easy to undo, and for no reason whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't have done so, because it shortened the lace sufficiently to make it hard to tie the laces up!
shoe.jpg

And you would be surprised what children talk about, and the amount of oral folklore that gets passed down through the playground.
I recently heard young kids talking about war and the fact that WW1 was started by someone attacking a car because it had the number plate 1914 on it. Ok there is a truth in there (attacking the car and the number plate), but I suspect the dots weren't completely joined in their mind.

Today I was off out to meet up with a friend, so I dug my Vans out of the cupboard where they have resided since I put them away at the end of summer. Before that they were being regularly worn, so lived in my middle room under the cupboard.

As I put them on, I thought 'these laces are short', and discovered a knot tied in the end of the left hand lace. It's tied moderately tightly, not easy to undo, and for no reason whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't have done so, because it shiortened the lace sufficiently to make it hard to tie the laces up!
View attachment 46815
I'd blame spiders myself. They get bored when not spinning webs I believe!

As I put them on, I thought 'these laces are short', and discovered a knot tied in the end of the left hand lace. It's tied moderately tightly, not easy to undo, and for no reason whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't have done so, because it shortened the lace sufficiently to make it hard to tie the laces up!
View attachment 46815

And even stranger, your 'vans' appear to have turned into Converse! :p

Very minor strangeness here. I have been playing on my PS4 and waiting for a meat pie to be cooked iny toaster oven. I have a timer that goes up to 30 minutes. I went to check on timer when it had 8 minutes left and I added 15 more (pie needs 45 total).

As most of you know, I live on my own with 3 cats. The cats are currently outside. I just went to check on my pie to see how many more minutes were left, to find that the toaster oven was unplugged. I have no memory of unplugging the toaster oven. I only set it for an extra 15 minutes, which when added to the 8 minutes, came to 23. I did see the number 23 appear on the timer when I changed it. I swear that I did not unplug it! But obviously I must have.

A bit of a strange encounter last night. 6pm, dark and raining very hard, we decide to stop off at the chippie. I park up round the corner and Ms P goes to chippie. Sat outside huddled in a blanket a youngish bloke is getting soaked. Ms P decides to get him some food but the lady in front has bought him some already and takes it out to him. While waiting for our order said bloke comes in and asks for the food to be wrapped up which they do. He takes off his blanket to reveal what appears to be brand new clothes and puts his food into a bag on his shoulder. Then goes out and resumes his position huddled in his blanket outside in the pouring rain. There are possible explanations for his behaviour, but whatever the reason, I thought it a touch weird.

A bit of a strange encounter last night. 6pm, dark and raining very hard, we decide to stop off at the chippie. I park up round the corner and Ms P goes to chippie. Sat outside huddled in a blanket a youngish bloke is getting soaked. Ms P decides to get him some food but the lady in front has bought him some already and takes it out to him. While waiting for our order said bloke comes in and asks for the food to be wrapped up which they do. He takes off his blanket to reveal what appears to be brand new clothes and puts his food into a bag on his shoulder. Then goes out and resumes his position huddled in his blanket outside in the pouring rain. There are possible explanations for his behaviour, but whatever the reason, I thought it a touch weird.
There have been stories of people begging 'for a living' as it were, then getting in a decent vehicle and driving back to their house in the 'burbs, but whether they are true is another matter.
A lot of clothes in charity shops (we have about 400 of them in our small town), are in very good condition, often brand new, so maybe he'd got some from there. ?

There have been stories of people begging 'for a living' as it were, then getting in a decent vehicle and driving back to their house in the 'burbs, but whether they are true is another matter.
A lot of clothes in charity shops (we have about 400 of them in our small town), are in very good condition, often brand new, so maybe he'd got some from there. ?
Yes all sorts of possible explanations. The bloke wasn't asking anyone for anything and the chippie is in a row of shops where you might think the pickings would be better. Just unusual.

l’ve seen it happen myself. (Not including the “house” part.)

maximus otter

I remember reading one account of a guy who did this daily. Aside from the morality perspective, it seemed like more hard work than getting a 'proper' job to be honest.
There are plenty of accounts of fake beggars earning hundreds of pounds a day online, here is one,

Fake rough sleeper who earns up to £600 a day says begging brings in more than working​

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/21/fake...-begging-brings-in-more-than-working-8975704/

Back