• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

That was the best use of the Weeping Angels since their debut, a fantastic episode, best so far this series. It reminded me of the classic series, that seems to have been intentional with its fusty academic, 60s setting and Wyndham-esque village under threat, but with a lot of added intrigue. Mary Whitehouse would have had a fit if she'd seen that cliffhanger! Undoubtedly Jodie's best run of episodes, this year's. Very happy fan, here.

That was the best use of the Weeping Angels since their debut, a fantastic episode, best so far this series. It reminded me of the classic series, that seems to have been intentional with its fusty academic, 60s setting and Wyndham-esque village under threat, but with a lot of added intrigue. Mary Whitehouse would have had a fit if she'd seen that cliffhanger! Undoubtedly Jodie's best run of episodes, this year's. Very happy fan, here.
Me too, @GNC , me too. Also punching the air and cheering a bit...

Me too, @GNC , me too. Also punching the air and cheering a bit...

Yes, and it's great Jodie got this third series that really excels, it would have been disappointing had she been remembered as the "not quite there" Doctor. Now we can see why Chibnall had faith in her. Please don't go off the rails in the last two episodes!

Annoying Mary Whitehouse (or the modern version, since the original has Gone To Pastures New) is the only reason I get out of bed every morning...

Quite enjoyed the Weeping Angels home invasion, despite Ms. Whittaker's gormless gurning. The timeslip plot element and some genuine creepiness made it easily the best episode of the Whittaker era (although couldn't help wondering how much better it would have been with Tom Baker at the helm). For a moment I was wondering if they were going to tie it into the original 1964 An Unearthly Child. Maybe that's yet to come?
Anyone else trying not to blink when the Angels are on the prowl?

Quite enjoyed the Weeping Angels home invasion, despite Ms. Whittaker's gormless gurning. The timeslip plot element and some genuine creepiness made it easily the best episode of the Whittaker era (although couldn't help wondering how much better it would have been with Tom Baker at the helm). For a moment I was wondering if they were going to tie it into the original 1964 An Unearthly Child. Maybe that's yet to come?
I also wondered whether Claire was going to turn out to be Susan in some other form! And yes, I also get watery eyes trying to keep my eyes open when the Angels are on screen. It's nice to see them getting some form of backstory too that ties in to Matt Smith's era - and the dust falling from the eyes and the image of the Angel being an angel, as happened to Amy! Whereas to a lot of children watching, they won't even remember the Matt Smith era so it's all new to them, that callback to the past is what keeps fans (who may be a good bit older) watching.

I also wondered whether Claire was going to turn out to be Susan in some other form! And yes, I also get watery eyes trying to keep my eyes open when the Angels are on screen. It's nice to see them getting some form of backstory too that ties in to Matt Smith's era - and the dust falling from the eyes and the image of the Angel being an angel, as happened to Amy! Whereas to a lot of children watching, they won't even remember the Matt Smith era so it's all new to them, that callback to the past is what keeps fans (who may be a good bit older) watching.
If you’re wanting call backs to the past - how about Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow as used last night.

And those of you trying not to blink during the episode do I have to remind you “that which holds the image of an angel becomes itself an angel" in other words, your TV’s are now angels. Sorry.

and yes definitely one of the better recent ones and it’s the only one this season not written solely by Chibnall…

But still that bloody sonic being used instead of good old fashioned observation or past knowledge....

But phallic objects have to be brandished about otherwise what's the point.

And what was she doing pointing it at the doors and windows for? The sonic doesn't work on wood.

I was pretty much like this -
bart-simpson-the-simpsons.gif

Strangely enough as soon as I saw Clare I thought - 'I wonder if she's going to turn out to be Susan?'

It was a strong script with lots going on. Interesting to note that it was similar to Maxine Alderton's previous contribution in that both "Villa" and "Village" end with the Doctor seemingly losing (surrendering the Cyberium to Ashad, and being Angelified respectively). I wonder if Russell T Davies will be impressed by her and see fit to ask her to write some more. I do hope so.

I really enjoyed this weeks, this series really has been an upturn in form from the last few years, although I've liked JW from the start (I'd seen her in a couple of things before the Doctor, and got used to her acting style, I think; she was in a version of Antigone with Christopher Eccleston that was excellent).

Cracking cliffhanger, can't wait for next week, although I admire the person on GB who's going to save the next one, and watch it and the finale in one go the week after, I wish I had that kind of of impulse control XD

I would add "Image of the Fendahl" to that list, set in rural England if not a village. Those types of settings do really help to up the creepiness factor in DW.

I really enjoyed this weeks, this series really has been an upturn in form from the last few years, although I've liked JW from the start (I'd seen her in a couple of things before the Doctor, and got used to her acting style, I think; she was in a version of Antigone with Christopher Eccleston that was excellent).
I really enjoyed Jodie's portrayal of a strong, grieving mother in three series of "Broadchurch". After most of the episodes, I used to turn to my partner and say "Jodie Whittaker is SO good in this! And so is Andrew Buchan as her husband. In fact, I think HE would make an excellent Doctor."

Well, talk about 'close, but no cigar'.

There's just something wonderful about Doctor Who when it's set in a remote, rural English village. See the Daemons, the Awakening, Android Invasion, Stones of Blood etc...

Absolutely!
The Daemons was one of the all-time DW great stories.
I also recall a scene with Tom Baker (best ever Doctor in my book) where he visits a village pub and orders a pint (of ginger beer). He notices something is wrong when the pub calendar has the same date repeated on every day and there was something weird about the dart board too.
Anyone remember the name of that story?

Absolutely!
The Daemons was one of the all-time DW great stories.
I also recall a scene with Tom Baker (best ever Doctor in my book) where he visits a village pub and orders a pint (of ginger beer). He notices something is wrong when the pub calendar has the same date repeated on every day and there was something weird about the dart board too.
Anyone remember the name of that story?
The Android Invasion.

I'm psychically willing Flux over the finishing line, if nothing else it's an impressive example of plate spinning. Tonight's started to draw the threads together with a selection box of scenes, bit of exposition here, some humour there, action of course, and weirdness, granted. Very little could beat last week's, so wisely they didn't try, but I'm still onboard with it. Mass bad guy team up for the finale! Sure, throw in that kitchen sink too!

I get the feeling that the finale is gonna stand or fall (for me) on the issue of the Doctor's stolen memories. Will that be resolved? If it is, will we like it? Will it make sense? Is it all some giant red herring? I just feel like that is the crux of 'Flux' and everything else is just window dressing. Loud, flashy, distracting window dressing, but window dressing nonetheless. Like you, GNC, I am hoping for an impressive big finish, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that not too many of those spinning plates get smashed!!

I get the feeling that the finale is gonna stand or fall (for me) on the issue of the Doctor's stolen memories. Will that be resolved? If it is, will we like it? Will it make sense? Is it all some giant red herring? I just feel like that is the crux of 'Flux' and everything else is just window dressing. Loud, flashy, distracting window dressing, but window dressing nonetheless. Like you, GNC, I am hoping for an impressive big finish, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that not too many of those spinning plates get smashed!!
Personally based on Chibnall’s previous form they are all going to come clattering down in a horroble car crash destroying anything vaguely interesting previously set up. And possibly even involving a big red reset button.

There's just something wonderful about Doctor Who when it's set in a remote, rural English village. See the Daemons, the Awakening, Android Invasion, Stones of Blood etc...

Was the presence of a Tardis in Unit HQ in last night's episode, that had apparently been retrieved from somewhere in the West Country, a hat-tip to The Daemons?

Back