• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

No I'm not ill mate, lol.
Even making some jokey reference to the over-use of the word 'suck' is too much like 'low hanging fruit' for me.
Plus I must avoid slipping into "70's humour" lest I receive a chastisement for my attempts to inject a bit of levity.
It does have the effect of 'triggering' certain people.
To be fair, I did think that even you you wouldn't stoop so low Trev. It was too easy for a man of your calibre.
Have you been chastised for '70's humour' then? Fakir off! Send them to the 'Carry-On' thread. That'll learn 'em!

Attachments

• crazy-inventions-12.jpg
    crazy-inventions-12.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 10
Have you been chastised for '70's humour' then?
Well, somebody clearly doesn't have a sense of humour as I was, lets say, pleasantly guided away from the crumbling edge of a not-very-high cliff.
We'll say no more about it.

I visited a park and saw a tree where (probably) the local dog walkers were hanging christmas greetings from the dogs to one another. Some of the cards were from different cities. All were laminated or weather proofed. I liked it!

1640200473668.png

1640200540064.png

Jeyes fluid fans, I pray you forgive me for posting this:

Over here, I had never heard of Jeyes fluid. (This forum is very educational.) I looked it up. I found this:
https://www.bridgebiotechnology.com/jeyes-fluid-5-important-reasons-why-not-to-use-this-product/
"Is Jeyes Fluid harmful? Here are 5 important reasons why not to use this product:
  1. Contains harmful ingredients
  2. Dangerous around animals
  3. Ill effects on people
  4. Adverse effect in the garden
  5. Bad for the planet
Among other things it contains:
"Tar acids - Composed primarily of tar acids such as phenol, cresols, and xylenols.
. . . may cause genetic defects, . . . toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects . . .
(poly)alkylphenol
. . . may cause long lasting harmful effects to aquatic life . . ."
:oops:

Jeyes fluid fans, I pray you forgive me for posting this:

Over here, I had never heard of Jeyes fluid. (This forum is very educational.) I looked it up. I found this:
https://www.bridgebiotechnology.com/jeyes-fluid-5-important-reasons-why-not-to-use-this-product/
"Is Jeyes Fluid harmful? Here are 5 important reasons why not to use this product:
  1. Contains harmful ingredients
  2. Dangerous around animals
  3. Ill effects on people
  4. Adverse effect in the garden
  5. Bad for the planet
Among other things it contains:
"Tar acids - Composed primarily of tar acids such as phenol, cresols, and xylenols.
. . . may cause genetic defects, . . . toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects . . .
(poly)alkylphenol
. . . may cause long lasting harmful effects to aquatic life . . ."
:oops:
Mmmm, Jeyes fluid. :cool:

So you're saying that Dysons suck because they "don't suck very well."
Life is full of paradoxes, my son.
The comedian Kelly Monteith had an entire routine about that conundrum, featuring his persona returning a feeble vacuum cleaner to the shop.
Something like -

'I am returning this vacuum cleaner because it SUCKS!'
'That's what it's supposed to do, Sir.'
'No, it sucks! Really SUCKS!'
'Yes Sir, and did you have a complaint?'
'It SUCKS! More than any other vacuum cleaner I've ever used!'
'Why thank you Sir, we aim to please.'
'No, you don't understand, it sucks! It just really SUCKS!'
etc

Is it the local dogging site?
By coincidence the local gay meeting place is also near there. I don’t object to that, but avoid the place since once on a peaceful Sunday stroll we met two guys in the bushes with their trousers down. We felt a bit out of place :)

opening a new bar takes me right back.
I remember that when I first started working a school caretaker, a few years ago, those first few days were a continuous source of 'memory triggers' as each of the smells of the different areas of the school hit me.
Things like the 'painty' smell of the Art Dept, or the smell of the foods in the canteen, the particular smell of the Geography rooms (maybe something to do with the earthy smell of well thumbed field trip books?), the smell of fresh-cut wood in the woodwork room, etc etc all brought memories of my school days flooding back.

I have read somewhere that smells are the strongest triggers for bringing back memories, and yet (ironically maybe) we find it almost impossible to remember a particular smell. Try it now. Can you remember what (eg) 'sour milk' smells like?

I remember that when I first started working a school caretaker, a few years ago, those first few days were a continuous source of 'memory triggers' as each of the smells of the different areas of the school hit me.
Things like the 'painty' smell of the Art Dept, or the smell of the foods in the canteen, the particular smell of the Geography rooms (maybe something to do with the earthy smell of well thumbed field trip books?), the smell of fresh-cut wood in the woodwork room, etc etc all brought memories of my school days flooding back.

I have read somewhere that smells are the strongest triggers for bringing back memories, and yet (ironically maybe) we find it almost impossible to remember a particular smell. Try it now. Can you remember what (eg) 'sour milk' smells like?
Ugh! I can indeed!

There are a lot of smells I find every evocative. Thinking of one now, (not sour milk) and I agree I can’t summon the smell mentally.

I'm having a few beers before going to bed and just now thought oh well, it's Christmas so I may as well have another. I took the empty bottle out into the kitchen and got another bottle, took the top off, came in here with it and put the bottle onto the table next to my chair and sat down to carry on perusing the laptop.

Just now when I went to take a swig, no bottle of beer. I went back into the kitchen thinking I'd somehow left it there but again, no bottle. There was three bottle tops on the worktop and two empty bottles in the recycling. I've looked all around the kitchen and the sitting room and no bottle of beer. I even looked in the fridge in case I'd put it back in there. I've only been between the sitting room and kitchen.

I daresay I'll find it in the morning somewhere odd and then remember putting it there and why.

I was going to open another bottle but instead decided to break out the honey rum I've been keeping all year for what reason..... I dunno.

Cheers everyone. I hope you all had a great Christmas Day.

Very Strange.
Ok, so my neighbour just called me to tell me that my car windows are open!
I went out there and 3 windows were fully open.
It has been raining all morning and the inside of the car was dry, so it must have only just happened.
I haven't driven it since last Tuesday.
It can't possibly have been caused by the 'global open' function on the key, as only 3 windows had fully opened.
how odd.

So I got in and started the car, and shut the windows, then the dashboard was telling me that the 'rear luggage compartment' (boot) was open.
So I went and found that was unlocked but closed down, so I shut that properly.

No other issues. Nothing interfered with in the car (it's a quiet street anyway). No other vehicles with their windows open.

I'm baffled.

Back