• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'm sorry; I see smudges.

I'm an archaeologist and sometimes I have to spot hidden sites, -often by looking for a pattern, man made things are often regular.

If you see a pattern then chances are you are looking at something artificial.

A plane, except if very overgrown/broken up/both has patterns.

http://www.anglingcharts.com/corribwrecks.html

These boats were located by observing this.

Its a great site, and one worth exploring.

And yes, some stunning underwater finds...mostly by observing patterns.

A few articles published over the last year support the Nikumaroro Lagoon / Taraia spit hypothesis.

The linear object submerged in shallow water certainly merits a closer look:

earhart.png
earhart2.png

https://lostclipper.com/2021/05/20/was-amelia-earharts-plane-just-found-in-nikumaroro-lagoon/

This "Taraia Object" was reported over at the TIGHAR forum back in February (2021):

https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,2169.0.html

Not surprisingly, Michael Ashmore (the person who identified the anomaly in early 2021) received considerable pushback on the idea that this visual anomaly represents a chunk of Earhart's Electra.

The most substantive such negative feedback came from TIGHAR admin Andrew McKenna, who wrote:
... Happy to go back and check it out, but we've already been to that spot and checked it out. In 2001 not only did we survey this part of the lagoon using divers on manta boards pulled by a skiff, but we surveyed this shoreline, including Taraia point, visually and with metal detectors. Folks have been back to Taraia Point several times since. I can say with relative certainty that if there has been a L-10 wing section there in 2001 or since, there is a high probability we would have noticed it.

It is possible that sands have shifted, objects exposed, or buried, but I think the odds extremely remote that a wing section got moved there since 2001. I don't think Taraia Point has changed that dynamically in the past 50 years. ...
https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,2169.msg44138.html#msg44138

So did the TIGHAR guys not find anything in the vicinity?
No wreckage of any kind, whether metallic or not, or even a submerged log that could possibly explain the elongated artefact?

No wreckage of any kind, whether metallic or not, or even a submerged log that could possibly explain the elongated artefact?

Off hand, I don't know. You'd have to dig through their various site exploration reports to get a sense of how thoroughly they'd already checked the Taraia spit area.

An Electra was 38’ long. l’m eyeballing that anomaly as ~25’ long.

lf their metal detectors can’t pick up a target that size in apparently shallow water, they should be asking for their money back.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Off hand, I don't know. You'd have to dig through their various site exploration reports to get a sense of how thoroughly they'd already checked the Taraia spit area.

I've now browsed the archive and note that Andrew McKenna, whose report you quoted in part above, concluded with "My personal opinion is that we're looking at a coconut log."

I agree that the trunk of a coconut tree, approximately 25 feet long (as Max estimated), lying in shallow water is certainly very plausible to explain the item in the photo. The fact that the item apparently wasn't there when divers investigated the precise spot though is also of interest. 19 km2 is a fair sized lagoon and objects can clearly move around within that area and become obscured or exposed by the sand. Furthermore, the Tatiman Passage, to the North West of the lagoon, is open to the sea and so objects could conceivably be swept into the lagoon and out again, to be lost in the depths of the Pacific.

No need to speculate about the length of the object(s). Google Earth allows one to measure this object accurately. Or go to the location noted in my post 167 and measure. Recall your high school physics concerning refraction and virtual images.

Google Earth measures the Orona object nose (A) to tail (B) as 52 feet. Correcting for the refractive index of water 52/1.33= 39 feet; the same as the L10E aircraft. Google Earth doesn't have a good image of the Gardner island coconut log.
Oronaraftandplane2 copy.png

I'm sorry; I see smudges.

I'm an archaeologist and sometimes I have to spot hidden sites, -often by looking for a pattern, man made things are often regular.

If you see a pattern then chances are you are looking at something artificial.

A plane, except if very overgrown/broken up/both has patterns.

http://www.anglingcharts.com/corribwrecks.html

These boats were located by observing this.
We're just outside York and I think was only a year or so back that photos taken by a drone discovered a previously entirely unknown Iron Age settlement, in a field just outside the village... (Roundhouses must be fairly obvious from the sky I guess although this is very close to a small local airfield and nobody else had ever spotted it before...)

We're just outside York and I think was only a year or so back that photos taken by a drone discovered a previously entirely unknown Iron Age settlement, in a field just outside the village... (Roundhouses must be fairly obvious from the sky I guess although this is very close to a small local airfield and nobody else had ever spotted it before...)
I'm old enough to remember the long hot dry summer of 1976 when the ground surface dried up and shrank, exposing long-lost ancient foundations and roads.

These were mainly spotted from helicopters - no drones back then - and photos were taken and published in the newspapers. Fantastic stuff.

Crop marks and drought marks dont show up every year, and some are very short lived. (Frost and snow marks are the worst).

This is why regular A.P. is important.

Now find her skeleton with a helmet, that would fetch a pretty penny.

A leather helmet that Amelia Earhart wore on a flight across the Atlantic in 1928 and later lost in a crowd of fans in Cleveland has sold at auction for 825,000 US dollars (£616,000).

The helmet went to an anonymous bidder in an online-only sale, a spokesperson for Heritage Auctions said.

The seller was Anthony Twiggs, a 67-year-old Minnesotan who had tried for years to prove that the leather aviator’s helmet he inherited from his mother was really Earhart’s.

Earhart was just a passenger in June 1928 when she became the first woman on board a plane crossing the Atlantic.

Photos shot before and after the flight show her wearing a jaunty leather helmet or flight cap.

Earhart wore the same helmet the following year in the Women’s National Air Derby, an all-female race from Santa Monica, California, to Cleveland. ...

https://www.independent.ie/world-ne...for-more-than-600000-at-auction-41404655.html

'Researchers at Penn State University’s Radiation Science and Engineering Centre claim they used advanced imaging techniques to re-analyse a metal panel, found on the island of Nikumaroro in 1991, that is believed to have come from Earhart’s aircraft.

Their scans revealed hidden letters and numbers on the aluminium panel that could help to identify it – and confirm whether or not it did come from the missing plane.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...sedgntp&cvid=3da381ce1d754493993caa861939c5e0

Don’t get your hopes up…

Major breakthrough in the search for Amelia Earhar

Last year, scientific analysis revealed a series of hidden letters and numbers etched on an aluminium panel which washed up on Nikumaroro Island in the western Pacific close to where Earhart's aircraft went missing.

It sparked huge excitement that investigators were close to solving one of the 20th century's most enduring mysteries, but sadly those hopes have now been dashed — at least for the time being.

Meticulous analysis has all-but confirmed that the panel did not belong to Earhart's Lockheed Electra but instead was part of a plane that crashed during World War Two at least six years later.

All is not lost, however.

That's because experts have revealed a new image currently undergoing forensic analysis which they think shows an engine cover buried underwater close to Nikumaroro that could have come from Earhart's plane.

74926415-12462283-Can_you_spot_the_clue_to_Amelia_Earhart_s_disappearance_Experts_-a-2_1693513677305.jpg

A new image undergoing forensic analysis, which they think shows an engine cover buried underwater close to a remote island in the Pacific that could have come from the aviator's plane

Ric Gillespie: 'The similarity to an engine cowling and prop shaft was not noticed until years later and the exact location was not noted at the time, which meant attempts to re-locate the object were unsuccessful.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...trix-died-remote-island-spot-smoking-gun.html

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

Don’t get your hopes up…

Major breakthrough in the search for Amelia Earhar

Last year, scientific analysis revealed a series of hidden letters and numbers etched on an aluminium panel which washed up on Nikumaroro Island in the western Pacific close to where Earhart's aircraft went missing.

It sparked huge excitement that investigators were close to solving one of the 20th century's most enduring mysteries, but sadly those hopes have now been dashed — at least for the time being.

Meticulous analysis has all-but confirmed that the panel did not belong to Earhart's Lockheed Electra but instead was part of a plane that crashed during World War Two at least six years later.

All is not lost, however.

That's because experts have revealed a new image currently undergoing forensic analysis which they think shows an engine cover buried underwater close to Nikumaroro that could have come from Earhart's plane.

74926415-12462283-Can_you_spot_the_clue_to_Amelia_Earhart_s_disappearance_Experts_-a-2_1693513677305.jpg

A new image undergoing forensic analysis, which they think shows an engine cover buried underwater close to a remote island in the Pacific that could have come from the aviator's plane

Ric Gillespie: 'The similarity to an engine cowling and prop shaft was not noticed until years later and the exact location was not noted at the time, which meant attempts to re-locate the object were unsuccessful.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...trix-died-remote-island-spot-smoking-gun.html

:rolleyes:

maximus otter
Yep, clear as day to me...

Ol' Ric Gillespie (or whatever) never tires of milking this cow.

Christ on a crutch.

A former US Air Force officer spent $11M searching for Amelia Earhart's long-lost plane — and may have found it

A pilot and former US Air Force intelligence officer believes an image he captured using sonar on a high-tech unmanned submersible may have finally answered one of America's most baffling mysteries: What caused the disappearance of iconic pilot Amelia Earhart at the height of her fame?

Tony Romeo is one of a long line of researchers and hobbyists to have taken up the search for Earhart's distinctive Lockheed 10-E Electra plane.

His expedition, which was carried out using a $9 million high-tech unmanned submersible "Hugin" drone, and a research crew of 16, started last September in Tarawa, Kiribati.

Roughly a month into the trip, the team captured a sonar image of the plane-shaped object about 100 miles from Howland Island — but didn't discover the image in the submersible's data until the 90th day of the voyage, making it impractical to turn back to get a closer look.

65b5c0c36c8f0a134f7a6c89

Experts have shown interest in the finding, with Dorothy Cochrane, a curator at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum, telling The Journal that the reported location where the image was taken was just about right.

https://www.businessinsider.com/son...plane-found-pacific-ocean-2024?op=1&r=US&IR=T

maximus otter

Amelia appears as a character in Starfield. She’s a clone but you can take her with you as a companion to explore the stars and she’s a natural at piloting spaceships.

In the game, she sounds a lot like Butters out of South Park.

Amelia appears as a character in Starfield. She’s a clone but you can take her with you as a companion to explore the stars and she’s a natural at piloting spaceships.

In the game, she sounds a lot like Butters out of South Park.
Yes. I recruited her a while back, but her old-timey sing-song transatlantic accent and "witticisms" got on my nerves, so I ditched her and stuck with Andreja and Vasco.

earhart.png

That image looks quite convincing but would the aircraft really have stayed in one piece?
Depends on the landing. They might have made a controlled ditching which would have kept it fairly intact giving them time to get out in a dinghy before it sank. Looking at the image it does seem distorted but whether that's due to the image process or damage to the plane (if it is one) remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Back