• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Hasn't it been theorised that that would be entirely possible using a device that explores the potential of Quantum Entanglement (spooky action at a distance)?
It is theoretically possible to use that when setting up a comms network between Earth and Mars. It would not be instantaneous, as there will always be a lag inherent in the electronics and software.

It is theoretically possible to use that when setting up a comms network between Earth and Mars. It would not be instantaneous, as there will always be a lag inherent in the electronics and software.
Yeah there would be a lag but so minor as to make it almost unnoticeable and allow regular conversations.
Nothing like the 20+ minutes lag using traditional communication methods.

Cowboy Bebop: A bit difficult to get into, effects aren't always great but acting is good. The retro setting is confusing and I had to go to the Anime source material for an explanation for the diaspora from Earth. Good "villains", everything is relative here. After a few episodes I sort of took to it. And so the end. After 10 episodes I have a sneaking regard for it. Spike's backstory is fully revealed in episode 9 but it still lacks an info dump about the catastrophe on Earth. A goodish bounty hunters series. Sadly it's cancelled after one season. On Netflix. 7/10.

Zone 414: A Blade Runnerish SF thriller set in near future UK. Guy Pearce is David, in the Deckard role and at one stage kills an android but that isn't his real job. He's hired by a billionaire to track down his missing daughter, Melissa. Matilda Lutz is a pleasure model android but is more advanced than most, philosophises a lot about her predicament, sees a counsellor. But as in Revenge, Lutz is no passive victim. She helps David when he comes to Zone 414 where humans and android are allowed to interact. Thus begins a dark journey where both human and android life don't count for much. Olwen Fouéré is suitably sinister as the madam for the pleasure models. The budget wasn't quite high enough to achieve a full Cyber Punk aesthetic in Zone 414 (or the cities) but it's suitably run down and grim . A couple of pot twists and some rather violent scenes. Directed by Andrew Baird from a screenplay by Bryan Edward Hill. Saw it on Virgin Media Movies. 7/10.

Hasn't it been theorised that that would be entirely possible using a device that explores the potential of Quantum Entanglement (spooky action at a distance)?

It's an appealing idea, but sadly it won't work. The problem is that once you try to force a state change on one particle of an entangled pair, you break the entanglement, and you're just left standing there looking at a stinky old unentangled particle.

There was an article in Forbes a while back that explains it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ntanglement-to-communicate-faster-than-light/

It's an appealing idea, but sadly it won't work
Bloody scientists...coming along and spoiling our fun. I wish they wouldn't mess with what seem like appealing ideas with stuff like actual scientific observation. Killjoys.

It's an appealing idea, but sadly it won't work. The problem is that once you try to force a state change on one particle of an entangled pair, you break the entanglement, and you're just left standing there looking at a stinky old unentangled particle.

There was an article in Forbes a while back that explains it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/starts...ntanglement-to-communicate-faster-than-light/
Good article. While I did think that the idea of having any entangled pairs with an observer at one end would change the outcome entirely. As with the double slit experiment that shows light can be viewed as either wave or particle, but not both at same time. The observer changes the outcome.

While I know little about quantum physics, I did enjoy reading Gary Zukav's "The Dancing Wu Li Masters". It's a good introduction into quantum physics. As I read it, I remembered experiments we did in Physics in high school. We did the double slit experiment, but only as properties of light. I realized that if the teachers had introduced quantum physics theory with the experiments that are clearly now in relation to quantum physics rather than just physics, I would have been more in awe and had more interest in the experiments.

Bloody scientists...coming along and spoiling our fun. I wish they wouldn't mess with what seem like appealing ideas with stuff like actual scientific observation. Killjoys.
Yes, they should get on with proper science...

dc_frankenstien%20bride.jpg

Watched the first two episodes of Korean 2021 space mystery The Silent Sea tonight (Netflix).
Set in the near future, where drinking water on Earth is becoming scarce, it centres around a mission to discover why a highly classified Moon base went mysteriously silent five years earlier.
Nicely creepy atmosphere from the start, including a 5 mile yomp across the lunar surface to reach the base, with rapidly diminishing oxygen.
The base itself is suitably eerie and gothic, with a labyrinth of dimly lit corridors.
Dialogue felt a bit stilted at times, but a few intriguing revelations and some moderate shocks kept stoking the interest, so I think I will persevere with the remaining 6 episodes.

Watched the first two episodes of Korean 2021 space mystery The Silent Sea tonight (Netflix).
Set in the near future, where drinking water on Earth is becoming scarce, it centres around a mission to discover why a highly classified Moon base went mysteriously silent five years earlier.
Nicely creepy atmosphere from the start, including a 5 mile yomp across the lunar surface to reach the base, with rapidly diminishing oxygen.
The base itself is suitably eerie and gothic, with a labyrinth of dimly lit corridors.
Dialogue felt a bit stilted at times, but a few intriguing revelations and some moderate shocks kept stoking the interest, so I think I will persevere with the remaining 6 episodes.

I'm at ep 7 and it's good.

I'm at ep 7 and it's good.

Finished The Silent Sea. Plenty of conspiracy, shooting (who cares about the vacuum outside!), A mysterious creature killing the crew, terrible experiments. Enough tension to keep your interest. Some of the supporting actors aren't great though or it might be the lines they're given. 7/10.

Going to settle in today with the 50's double feature 'The Giant Mantis' & 'The Monolith Monsters'.

The Deadly Mantis is a bit vanilla as giant monster movies go, but the effects are nice. The Monolith Monsters is a lot more unusual, great premise and stars the Incredible Shrinking Man himself at full size.

Best science fiction film of the year (technically 2020, but only released widely in 2021): Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes. Yes, it's a time travel thing, and we've had an awful lot of those, but this is so charming, so funny, and so wacky that it's fantastic.

I won't say too much about the plot, but it's about a TV that can play images from 2 minutes in the future. Japanese, very low budget, and obviously took insane amounts of concentration to get right. A marvelous film.

Some people online have noticed that both Soylent Green and Zardoz take place in 2022. Which one got it right, though?

[Darkly] Soylent Green.

Well, most of us haven't eaten anybody (unless you know different?), but plenty of us have spent time living a seemingly endless life of cosmic boredom under Lockdown.

I have yet to see a flying Easter Island head and a man in a ridiculous outfit wielding an antique gun...
You only need to travel to some North Norfolk coastal town (which shall remain nameless) and I'm certain you'll witness such a miracle.

Back