• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

IIRC correctly there is a speed camera down near Southampton (UK) which was wrongly calibrated and was issuing speeding tickets willy-nilly to drivers that were within the speed limit.

The Talmud is sold in China as "Jewish business wisdom" :)
1636790188577.png
In which country's households are you most likely to find a copy of the Talmud? Surprisingly, the answer is probably not Israel.
The country where the Talmud is ubiquitous, where it's quoted by sports stars & celebrities, where it's sold at station kiosks, is... SOUTH KOREA.

1636790474521.png

Last edited:
1636811798592.png
FBI email infrastructure has been compromised and is being used to send fake emails about fake cyberattacks to system admins right now.

Hunger talks start with lobster and foie gras

THE opening day of the UN World Food Summit, dedicated to combating global hunger, was marked yesterday by a sumptuous lunch for the 3,000 delegates served by 170 Italian waiters.

The summit leaders were offered foie gras, lobster, and goose stuffed with olives. followed by fruit compote.

The Rome lunch was a symbol, for Western leaders at least, of the extravagant and bloated bureaucracies that the aid business has created, and went some way towards explaining why so few of them were in attendance yesterday.

storyhere from The Times.

The delegates would have had to have eaten food anyway and what do they mean by sumptuous? What ever I eat I would class it as sumptuous. Apologies if this sounds rude. I don't mean it as such. What were the delegates supposed to eat, a few handfuls of something tasteless just to artificially show compassion?

170 waiters for 3000 people? That roughly 1 waiter per 18 people. Why is that mentioned? It is probably on a par with any restaurant.

How many on here go out to a decent restaurant?

I think for it to be ironic there needs to be more details as to exactly what they ate that classed it as 'sumptuous'.

Also, and sorry again, I couldn't find the article in the link you gave. It's probably my error especially having just got in from a very long and hard working day.

Also, and sorry again, I couldn't find the article in the link you gave. It's probably my error especially having just got in from a very long and hard working day.

The article about the UN World Food Summit was from 2002, and it dosn't seem to be archived at the newspaper website.

You did not make the point badly at all, but I do cook badly. :)

They're all hypocrites these days though aren't they, whether it be sports stars, actors, politicians....whatever.

The problem is that what a lot of these people don't realise is that as soon as you start pointing fingers, other fingers start getting pointed back.
That's the nature of modern times as there is lots of social media history for those with an opposing view to trawl through.

They're all hypocrites these days though aren't they, whether it be sports stars, actors, politicians....whatever.

The problem is that what a lot of these people don't realise is that as soon as you start pointing fingers, other fingers start getting pointed back.
That's the nature of modern times as there is lots of social media history for those with an opposing view to trawl through.
I think a lot of this comes under 'no such thing as bad publicity'...

1640120756021.png
Amazon agreed to Beijing’s demand to have anything below a five-star review of Xi Jinping’s book The Governance of China removed from its Chinese site

Suspicious drug waste in Valkenburg turns out to be oliebollen* batter
* = Dutch deep fried buns - "oil balls"

A remarkable find yesterday between the A44 motorway and the Valkenburgse Meer, not far from Leiden. In the grass, police officers saw 27 buckets that appeared to be filled with drug waste. They hastily called in the fire brigade. He did research and after measurements found that it was fermenting oliebollen batter.

The police found the buckets along the J. Pellenbargweg in Valkenburg (Z.H.). "It was initially thought of drug waste," said a spokesman for the police at Omroep West. Reason to treat the find cautiously and to call in the help of the fire brigade to be sure.

After measurements by the fire brigade, it turned out that there was no question of a dangerous substance. Who left the buckets is unknown. The municipality has removed the bins.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2412328-verdacht-drugsafval-in-valkenburg-blijkt-oliebollenbeslag

Superyacht gets stuck on railway bridge near Den Bosch due to high water

The transport of a superyacht under construction got stuck this afternoon on the railway bridge near Den Bosch. The eighty-meter-long Galactica was on its way from a shipyard in Oss to Harlingen, but did not fit under the bridge due to the high water level.
The tugboat with the ship has turned around at the railway bridge, reports Omroep Brabant. There was no question of a collision.
A spokesman for Van der Wees Watertransporten who helps with the transport says that the delay is probably temporary. "Now the water was just about 10 to 20 centimeters too high. If the water drops a bit, we can try again. This may be possible within a few hours."

Picture looks spectacular, but no collision occured:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2412359-superjacht-loopt-door-hoog-water-vast-op-spoorbrug-bij-den-bosch

Energy firm Eon, amid rising energy prices, decides to send their customers pairs of socks to keep warm.
Sometimes these big companies just do not 'get it' do they?

Man who had pig heart transplant was guilty of 1988 stabbing

The man who received the world's first pig heart transplant once stabbed a man seven times leaving him paralysed, his victim's family have revealed.

David Bennett, 57, was convicted of the 1988 stabbing of Edward Shumaker, his sister told Radio 4's Today show.
Leslie Shumaker Downey said that her brother died in 2007 after almost two decades of medical complications linked to the attack.
She said Mr Bennett was an unworthy recipient of the pioneering surgery.
But the team who carried out the operation said that someone's criminal record could never be grounds for refusing them treatment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60010155

Man who had pig heart transplant was guilty of 1988 stabbing

The man who received the world's first pig heart transplant once stabbed a man seven times leaving him paralysed, his victim's family have revealed.

David Bennett, 57, was convicted of the 1988 stabbing of Edward Shumaker, his sister told Radio 4's Today show.
Leslie Shumaker Downey said that her brother died in 2007 after almost two decades of medical complications linked to the attack.
She said Mr Bennett was an unworthy recipient of the pioneering surgery.
But the team who carried out the operation said that someone's criminal record could never be grounds for refusing them treatment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60010155

Sounds like a proper swine.

Back