• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Ya Gonna Call? Ghost Hunters & Hunting

Morning swifty are you back out ghost hunting again (covid) any new to you and colleagues places
In a word, no. It's a long story but we had a new team member who managed to piss most of us off but she's best mates with the team's boss and knows it. Unnecessary politics coming into something that I was only doing for fun so I've jacked that in.

Morning swifty that’s a b*****y shame mate.
But you always get one half baked pillock in any group/joins later and cocks it up and they know exactly what they are doing.

Yep there's always one isn't there. I've been told I'm not out of the group by the group's owner despite this other woman doing a childish announcement on social media that I was. I haven't quit the group either, I just won't enjoy a night out if this new woman's there and at the moment that's my choice because I'd speak my mind at the first sniff of any politics.

On a point of scientific data collection, when a ghost hunter shits themselves on being exposed to a terrifying supernatural event, is the faeces analysed for consistency or flow if it has run down the leg or if it is more of a solid stool, is it taken away for a thorough scientific investigation?

A bit of good news (for our team anyway), we've decided to visit Worstead Church very soon, the scene of this famous photo ..

aworsteadghost.jpg

I seem to remember that the lady in yellow in the photo (Diane Berthelot) wrote to Fortean Times a short while before she passed away (I could be wrong so I'll have to thumb through my back issues unless anyone here can point me to the exact issue please?), the location is only about 12 miles from our base so it's ideal. Shadow figures have been reported inside the church to date as well as other light anomalies so it could be worth a poke around inside, we'll also be conducting a short interview at the local pub with the owner that's since been renamed The White Lady. The Eastern Daily Press newspaper reported that Diane was delighted to have learned the pub's name change ..

More details can be found on the circumstances surrounding this picture about half way down in this link ..

https://www.edp24.co.uk/lifestyle/heritage/weird-norfolk-worstead-white-lady-ghost-photo-6854198

This is a picture of Diane in her later years, her husband holding the camera used to take the picture ..

aworsteaddiane.jpg

The original photo is framed and hanging on a wall in The White Lady pub in Worstead ..

https://www.thewhitelady.co.uk/story

Last edited:
Sorry for being thick, but where's the ghost in the photo? This is worse than the cats ones!

Here's a darkened version of the photo... there is definitely a figure there. Somebody with a big helmet of white hair.

ghost.png

There seems to be a "glow" effect on the pic that makes it look like they have big hair (and a big jacket), because they've been caught in the sunlight. Maybe there's a generic old bloke/old lady look that everyone conforms to after a while?
There's lots of non paranormal tricks of the light inside the church as this footage shows .. this footage has been 'filmed with a potato' but it demonstrates how natural lighting reflects and bounces around in there anyway ..

Here's a darkened version of the photo... there is definitely a figure there. Somebody with a big helmet of white hair.

View attachment 50727
Is either the ghost or the woman carrying a roll of christmas wrapping paper? Most likely the ghost, it's a strange thing to bring into a church if you plan to sit for a while.

View attachment 50727
To me it looks like someone who was sitting quietly in a pew and has had someone sit in front of them, they have now realised that someone else intends to take a photo of the person in front of them and they are trying to slide out of the way before the photograph is taken.

I've now read the entire story regarding the photo and can't see anywhere where her husband or son do the usual 'there was nobody else about at the time at all, the church was completely empty', which leads me to believe that there WERE other people around (hot day, cool church, daytime....). I think we may have ourselves another SpaceMum incident (only not the mum this time, just someone else whom the photographer didn't notice when taking the picture).

Is either the ghost or the woman carrying a roll of christmas wrapping paper? Most likely the ghost, it's a strange thing to bring into a church if you plan to sit for a while.
The local folklore has it that the white lady appears at midnight in the church every Christmas Eve but how do they know?. Is this church even open at midnight every Christmas Eve? .. or any day at midnight? ..

There are winter hats - here at least - that are are made big enough to cover big hair do's. It looks as though there is someone wearing a white hat and shawl - note that it falls to the left right onto the seat and that for some reason the sun and the whites in the church are doing something to the film. There is also something square to the lower left of the ghost figure, can't make out what it is, but possibly not what you would expect a ghost to be carrying around. Also, church is not my specialty, but there are only two pews? If more, it's a little strange that someone chose to sit right behind or in front of someone else? I suspect it's a lovely old building, the flooring is great. Has there already been a serious examination of this photo, which has been around for a while?

There are winter hats - here at least - that are are made big enough to cover big hair do's. It looks as though there is someone wearing a white hat and shawl - note that it falls to the left right onto the seat and that for some reason the sun and the whites in the church are doing something to the film. There is also something square to the lower left of the ghost figure, can't make out what it is, but possibly not what you would expect a ghost to be carrying around. Also, church is not my specialty, but there are only two pews? If more, it's a little strange that someone chose to sit right behind or in front of someone else? I suspect it's a lovely old building, the flooring is great. Has there already been a serious examination of this photo, which has been around for a while?
Not that I'm aware of. We're going to try to find the exact location of it by making a copy of the photo, finding the exact spot and holding the photo in front of that .. the same method used by others to match up historic pictures to the same locations today, for example, this fan photo of a scene from the cult film Trainspotting:

atrainspotting001.jpg

.. but obviously we'll be holding up the picture of the seated Diane at location instead. If we can also print the picture of the seated Diane of an A4 acetate transparent sheet, we can do the same thing, film through that and one of our team can walk 'into' the photo and take measurements that way. Just a couple of ideas we're bouncing around at the moment. What would be ideal would be to have the same outside weather conditions and time of day that the photo was taken but I'm not sure how we can do that without knowing those details yet.

Last edited:
That's a really good idea, @Swifty ! Are there any other photos taken at the same time and place as the original so we could see if it was an old dear magnet and if there were loads of them popping in?

That's a really good idea, @Swifty ! Are there any other photos taken at the same time and place as the original so we could see if it was an old dear magnet and if there were loads of them popping in?
If it was a hot day, then I can almost guarantee that a cool church will have been a magnet for pretty much every sector of society. Am I the only person who thinks the 'ghost' is wearing dark trousers?

If it was a hot day, then I can almost guarantee that a cool church will have been a magnet for pretty much every sector of society. Am I the only person who thinks the 'ghost' is wearing dark trousers?

The ghost might even be wearing NO trousers judging by that artful shadow.

The ghost might even be wearing NO trousers judging by that artful shadow.
Nah. If you look at the original photo, you can see what looks like brown trousers and a pair of black shoes or trainers. Only the top bit looks at all ethereal or ghostly and that will be down to having been brightly lit and moving quickly.

Edited to add - it's not a roll of wrapping paper, it's a forearm, resting on a thigh. I would take any bets that this is a middle aged man in a short sleeved shirt.

Yes see clear trousers and shoes - so much for the ghost. And what I thought was a roll of paper is the light reflecting off the top of the back of the bench.

I see what could be trousers and shoes as well. I'm trying to 'read' the shadows in that picture to pinpoint a main light source but it's difficult because of the large amount of windows lighting up the figures from many angles.

Back