• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did Your House Use To Be A Meth Lab?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Did You House Use To Be A Meth Lab?
BY TOM HALE 14 OCT 2019, 18:22

Earlier this year, Tyler and Elisha Hessel were settling into their new house in Missouri and anticipating their first child, due in January 2020. Then, they received some worrying news from their doctors.

As explained on their GoFundMe page, a routine pregnancy examination revealed that Elisha had tested positive for amphetamines. Considering neither couple had ever touched the drug, this left a huge amount of confusion and concern. A lengthy process of elimination later revealed their home was riddled with unsafe levels of methamphetamine contamination. Only after dozens of phone calls and meetings with lawyers did the couple find out their newly purchased house was a former meth lab.

While this might sound like an unfortunate but uncommon story from the extended Breaking Bad universe, it's a situation that arises more often than you might think. So, here's everything you need to know about the weird world of meth labs becoming family homes.

Full Article—notably including all the symptoms they suffered as a result:
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/how-to-tell-if-your-house-used-to-be-a-meth-lab/all/

Did You House Use To Be A Meth Lab?
BY TOM HALE 14 OCT 2019, 18:22

Earlier this year, Tyler and Elisha Hessel were settling into their new house in Missouri and anticipating their first child, due in January 2020. Then, they received some worrying news from their doctors.

As explained on their GoFundMe page, a routine pregnancy examination revealed that Elisha had tested positive for amphetamines. Considering neither couple had ever touched the drug, this left a huge amount of confusion and concern. A lengthy process of elimination later revealed their home was riddled with unsafe levels of methamphetamine contamination. Only after dozens of phone calls and meetings with lawyers did the couple find out their newly purchased house was a former meth lab.

While this might sound like an unfortunate but uncommon story from the extended Breaking Bad universe, it's a situation that arises more often than you might think. So, here's everything you need to know about the weird world of meth labs becoming family homes.

Full Article—notably including all the symptoms they suffered as a result:
https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/how-to-tell-if-your-house-used-to-be-a-meth-lab/all/
Can't say that's a problem in my part of the world.

Have heard ULs about dwellings impregnated with LSD after being used as drug factories and re-let after a quick mop-around and a lick of paint. Later tenants would be breathing in residue from the wallpaper and furnishings.

I found the article grimly fascinating, but I reckon I would have twigged if I had been them, given the symptoms they were suffering collectively. I wouldn't have guessed that my home had been a meth-lab, of course, but I'd definitely have surmised that I was being poisoned by something--the water supply would probably have been the first suspect.

Wow. I had not heard of a case like that. I would surely suspect some environmental problem, too, with all those symptoms. I didn't know the residue could affect people in that way.

Meth has been a serious problem around here for quite a long time. There are many remote houses, where such things can go undetected. Depending on the recipe, it can really wreck a house. I've heard that some have to be gutted and redone, or even razed. Even metal parts like light fixtures and doorknobs can be attacked and corroded by the process. Real estate contracts carry an item or two in the "disclosures" documents about it. Failure to report it has serious legal consequences. I would hope that's true in Missouri as well.

It seems like every time there is a house fire around here, it's said to be caused by the occupants cooking meth. Most places that burn down seem to be occupied by at least one person who one might suspected of such activity. Electrical fires are common too, though, since there still are no building codes in place in this particular county. Most places in Colorado have made it into the 20th century in that department, but there are still quite a few areas that are economically very poor and sparsely populated.

No. I think I can say, with some certainty, that my house has never been a meth lab.
I can vouch for catseye and my house has also never been used as a meth lab either. 100%.

I've got a bottle of meths in my garage. Does that count?

I can vouch for catseye and my house has also never been used as a meth lab either. 100%.
I...I....ow, ow, all right, I remember the agreement..... I can also vouch for Swifty's house never having been a meth lab either...

Back