• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
dark colored foofy cats look a lot bigger than they really are. And are extra cuddly. :D
A bit like this then ~
1644955494449.png

Last edited:
Hmmm I dunno.... Is this 50cm?:

I must admit to not having measured this particular beast to determine length. Hmmmm. here's an older picture of Jules in his summer coat:
View attachment 52085
The bricks should be a good reference. I think each brick is 8-inch long?
Given that the length of each brick is 8" then, that works out at two-and-a-half brick lengths, so say around 20" or 1'8" in length. 50cm = 19.68" so Jules works out at just slightly over the 20 inch mark.

For what it's worth. my wife took the attached photo yesterday on farmland near Southburgh, Norfolk. She says that the cat was about 100m away and about the size (or slightly larger) of a beagle dog. She had it in sight for about 10 seconds.

To me, it looks like a large domestic cat, especially as there's nothing to judge the size by. However, she says she was struck by how long it was compared to an average cat (we have a large cat of our own, so she is familiar with them)..

It does look like a domestic cat to me. There are so many factors you have to take into account such as distance, angle, size and shape of the brushes and weeds around it. It does look to be rather large, who says it has to be an adult panther/jaguar, right?

We had a large black cat that used to like to lay on top of the coke machine in the laundry mat next door. I guess he liked the heat. I remember the owner telling my Grandmother that every once in a while he would get reports from customers saying they got the fright of their life because they thought he was a panther at first glance. lol

Here's a small pic of two of my cats. Rupert (the bigger), 20 lbs had lots of floof and is really twice the size of Simon. I have not measured his exact length, but with his tail, I would say he is 3 ft long. He is also 3-4 inches taller than Simon, so maybe 12 inches tall?

And I cannot get the pic to show upright.
89AFE622-B0BF-4C3D-9D61-9E5916AF61C4.jpeg
My table is about 6 ft long iirc

Yeah, you know you really need to wet them down for a good measurement.

Thank you. I cannot figure out pics from my phone.:dunno:
You're welcome. Try holding the phone the other way up next time you post a photo. The Advanced Orientation™ forum software will detect this & picture will appear the right way up.

This may sound nuts but has anyone ever seriously thought of rigging trail cams round a large cardboard box on Exmoor or a similar ABC location? :crazy:

I don’t know what the fascination is that felids have for sitting in boxes or on paper or cardboard but looking at photos of big and small cats on this forum and elsewhere it seems universal. It would also be a known size which may help with assessing the size any moggies or super moggies photographed.

Baited food items and traps seem to make cats and other wildlife wary, perhaps natural if there is human scent associated with food item but would they be less cautious over something they play with/warm their feet on or whatever it is that attracts them to boxes?
Undoubtably a ridiculous idea but I wondered if anyone knows whether it has ever been tried.

For what it's worth. my wife took the attached photo yesterday on farmland near Southburgh, Norfolk. She says that the cat was about 100m away and about the size (or slightly larger) of a beagle dog. She had it in sight for about 10 seconds.

To me, it looks like a large domestic cat, especially as there's nothing to judge the size by. However, she says she was struck by how long it was compared to an average cat (we have a large cat of our own, so she is familiar with them)..
I'd say it was a domestic moggy too. Mostly from the way it's walking. It doesn't seem to be 'prowling', more having a stroll along its well worn stomping ground. I find black cats very hard to gauge the size of, it's easier with ginger or multicoloured cats, for some reason. Or maybe that's because my brain KNOWS a ginger or tortie cat isn't an ABC and doesn't try to 'make' me see it as anything else?

I'd say it was a domestic moggy too. Mostly from the way it's walking. It doesn't seem to be 'prowling', more having a stroll along its well worn stomping ground. I find black cats very hard to gauge the size of, it's easier with ginger or multicoloured cats, for some reason. Or maybe that's because my brain KNOWS a ginger or tortie cat isn't an ABC and doesn't try to 'make' me see it as anything else?
Untitled.png

Thirteen black cats, that seems as if it should have some eerie significance.

Back