• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What The Hell Are Dreams?

Wombat68

I'll be chilling at Booya Moon
I've been studying Jung and have come to the module about dreams. I have always had very vivid detailed dreams and often wake up with my heart hammering in my chest. I'm hoping mine are not premonitions because so far in the last couple of months I've been chased and had a gun pressed to my head by John Cusack , like you do, and melted two drug dealers to a pile of sludge with their ears placed on top as a warning. I'm actually quite a nice person honestly :oops: Are they just our brains sorting junk or part of the collective unconscious?

I don’t know what dreams are, and there are libraries filled with books on dream.

I do know I could not,while awake, could come up with the most ridiculous and outlandish ideas that I dream about.

This really scares me.

Is there another me in my subconscious trying to get out to reek havoc in this world and to take over ?

My dreams usually relate to something I've recently experienced or thought about. To me it seems clear that they are to do with my brain reshuffling memories for storage.

My dreams are very vivid and often contain a 'story', with vague disparate elements all interacting.

But then, so are my thoughts. So I think dreams are just thoughts without the regulatory effect of a brain that is also trying to deal with the waking world. So dreams, basically, are your thoughts, with the brakes off.

That could be true, dreams are really us with the brakes off.

My dreams when I was younger were about being lost and insecure.

In my older years my dreams are different, maybe anger from unaccomplished goals, and outlandish ideas.

We have a few dream threads already, perhaps there are answers on there?

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/dreams-what-are-they-where-do-they-come-from.67578/

In my faith dreams are discussed, and some of my thoughts on dreams come from the teachings of various Jewish scholars.

Dreams are a mixture of things, sometimes separate, sometimes intertwined in one or successive dreams during one night:

The brain sorting out the events of the past few weeks.

The brain manifesting our fears or hopes.

The brain focussing on something we saw or read the day before going to sleep.

The brain manifesting stress.

Astral travelling to meet other souls of humans and animals.

Images put into our subconsciousness by demons.

Images put into our subconscious by deceased relatives - i.e. visits from them, sometimes with messages.

Most of my dreams just don't make sense but then I do also suffer Sleep Paralysis and can beat by just waking up also I can control myself in dreams and its longer but the dreams are always in my home town at night with no one around but there is 1 person lurking in the back ground and these maybe Flucid Dreams are like playing a Playstation game....repeated dreams are interesting also my deceased brother appears to me in the mad dreams and also the more real life dreams.
UFO's have been in my dreams since 1989 and in the book of dreams it means I'm looking for the Holy Grail ?

I have a recurring theme to my dreams.

I regularly "meet" a so called friend who in hindsight treated me very badly, then cut off contact with me without explanation.

It was an experience that really affected me and it still plays out in my dreams years later.

I think most of them relate to stresses whether mental or physical. I've had a strongly premonitory dream, though it may just have been an expression of family stresses that I wasn't conscious of at the time but may have somehow picked up on. I'm also firmly convinced that through a dream, my immune system warned me I'd caught Covid five days before I got symptoms (in the event it dealt with it pretty well). Obviously it's good for you somehow to process things like this during sleep, though I can't quite see it myself. Maybe it's the brain's own therapeutic mechanism.

Most of my dreams, however, just seem to be further working over of things I'm thinking about at the time. In the case of last night, I found myself on a road trip around the US (I'd just returned from a couple of days of travelling) with Bob Dylan (who had been briefly mentioned to me the day before) and one other person, during which Dylan managed to get the car impounded due to his terrible driving (the car has needed a bit of money spent on it recently).

I have (and always have had) very vivid and detailed dreams. A lot of people I know say they don't dream (!!??) or they can only rarely remember their dreams. I always remember some stuff from my night's dreams, often for a long time. But does anyone else get the weird feeling I have that - somehow - dreams are continuous, from night to night, like some freakish never-ending soap opera? The main reasons I think this are two-fold.

Firstly, very often, just before slipping in to sleep at night, I will get a 'flash' of memory about what I was dreaming the night before ("previously on Kam's Weird Dreams......"). It is usually momentary, and hard to hang onto, and feels slightly disconcerting, a bit like deja-vu.

Secondly, I often wake up from dreaming something (a frequent thing is that I am wandering around an unfamiliar town or city, as if I am on holiday and possibly lost and stressed) - and on waking I feel sure that the holiday in the dream was part of, or a continuation of, what I had been dreaming the night before. It is as if the dream version of me is actually on a dream holiday spread over several nights, in the way the real/waking me occasionally goes on holiday in the real world, spread over several days.

If this latter is the case, I have to say the dream version of me seems to go on many more holidays than waking me! And he goes to some VERY strange places!!!

Last edited:
I have (and always have had) very vivid and detailed dreams. A lot of people I know say they don't dream (!!??) or they can only rarely remember their dreams. I always remember some stuff from my night's dreams, often for a long time. But does anyone else get the weird feeling I have that - somehow - dreams are continuous, from night to night, like some freakish never-ending soap opera? The main reasons I think this are two-fold.

Firstly, very often, just before slipping in to sleep at night, I will get a 'flash' of memory about what I was dreaming the night before ("previouly on Kam's Weird Dreams......"). It is usually momentary, and hard to hang onto, and feels slightly disconcerting, a bit like deja-vu.

Secondly, I often wake up from dreaming something (a frequent thing is that I am wandering around an unfamiliar town or city, as if I am in on holiday and possibly lost and stressed) - and on waking I feel sure that the holiday in the dream was part of, or a continuation of, what I had been dreaming the night before. It is as if the dream version of me is actually on a dream holiday spread over several nights, in the way the real/waking me occasionally goes on holiday in the real world, spread over several days.

If this latter is the case, I have to say the dream version of me seems to go on many more holidays than waking me! And he goes to some VERY strange places!!!
I do get recurring non-existent places in my dreams. Though their layout often changes, I know them to be the same place, there is even a whole landscape that keeps cropping up, a wide hilly expanse between two mountain ranges. Other places are a haunted church, although there is some narrative progression, because the malevolent ghost was dealt with yonks ago, so I now know, in my dream, that it won't bother me much if I go in. There is also a terribly haunted block of flats that I absolutely dread encountering in my dreams. On the other hand, I absolutely love turning up in the mountainscape in my dreams, it guarantees great dream hiking. There is also the moldering ruin of a castle, just a few tower bases and a section of wall now, that is in a non-existent street in my town. There used to be more of it left years ago...

I do get recurring non-existent places in my dreams. Though their layout often changes, I know them to be the same place, there is even a whole landscape that keeps cropping up, a wide hilly expanse between two mountain ranges. Other places are a haunted church, although there is some narrative progression, because the malevolent ghost was dealt with yonks ago, so I now know, in my dream, that it won't bother me much if I go in. There is also a terribly haunted block of flats that I absolutely dread encountering in my dreams. On the other hand, I absolutely love turning up in the mountainscape in my dreams, it guarantees great dream hiking. There is also the moldering ruin of a castle, just a few tower bases and a section of wall now, that is in a non-existent street in my town. There used to be more of it left years ago...
Wow, Simon. Sounds like you have some really cool recurring dreamscapes! I have those too - different ones, obviously! But places that keep cropping up and seem to be more or less the same place each time you dream them, but with some differences. One I am very much aware of is a very tall building - like a skyscraper hotel - which has gloomy dark red and brown decor and many floors and staircases and - most notably - enormous elevators the size of a tennis court which you go in and they zip you up and down this incredibly tall building in seconds flat. I also often dream about a ridiculously steep sloping car park - anyone who knows the insane car park at Watford General Hospital might realise where that specific bit of weirdness originates! Many recurring locations in my dreams are quite clearly warped versions of real places I know. An altered version of a park and some allotments close to the house I grew up in often feature, even though I haven't been there for nearly 40 years. Dreams are just so bloody creepy.

Wow, Simon. Sounds like you have some really cool recurring dreamscapes! I have those too - different ones, obviously! But places that keep cropping up and seem to be more or less the same place each time you dream them, but with some differences. One I am very much aware of is a very tall building - like a skyscraper hotel - which has gloomy dark red and brown decor and many floors and staircases and - most notably - enormous elevators the size of a tennis court which you go in and they zip you up and down this incredibly tall building in seconds flat. I also often dream about a ridiculously steep sloping car park - anyone who knows the insane car park at Watford General Hospital might realise where that specific bit of weirdness originates! Many recurring locations in my dreams are quite clearly warped versions of real places I know. An altered version of a park and some allotments close to the house I grew up in often feature, even though I haven't been there for nearly 40 years. Dreams are just so bloody creepy.
Some of the dream places are associated in my mind with real places, although they may bear nothing in common, except something general like being on a hillside. But yes, I have great dreams! And my nightmares are proper nightmares! :bthumbup:

Some of the dream places are associated in my mind with real places, although they may bear nothing in common, except something general like being on a hillside. But yes, I have great dreams! And my nightmares are proper nightmares! :bthumbup:
I very rarely have out-and-out nightmares - thankfully - but always have stressful dreams about being lost or losing valuables or having blazing rows in public places. Always wake up feeling stressed and drained. Guess I really need to get some therapy!

The thing that fascinates me is that in your dreams you build a world that for the time you are in the dream seems as real as the waking world, a whole world created in your head better than any film maker could make, you can do everything but read for some strange reason

I don't often remember my dreams but when I do certainly some of them are a kind of mind dump of my day's worries. Some are more recognisable than others! I used to keep a notepad (you remember, paper) by the bed because sometimes solutions used to come to me in my sleep and I'd jerk awake.

I'm sure that on occasions I have woken up having dreamt - or at least felt I have dreamt - a whole novel, a whole film, a whole screenplay, a whole tv show - and thought to myself 'damn, I wish I could remember all the details'. I clearly remember (as a big fan of quizzes) dreaming a whole episode of 'The Chase' in which I was the only contestant who made it through to the final Chase. I could even remember 3 or 4 of the significant questions and answers, which I recited to my partner over breakfast and I recall one was a specific historical fact about a monarch which was correct when I checked it up. I really wish I had noted it all down. It was a very close run thing, but I managed to beat the Chaser right at the last second and woke up feeling elated - then moments later deflated as reality kicked in. The strange thing now is trying to recall it, I can't be sure which Chaser I was up against, but it was one of the 2 women, the Governess or the Vixen. That seems a strange detail to be unclear about, but knowing dreams as I do, maybe it was both of them morphing back and forth. I can't remember how much I 'won' either - but the cheque never arrived anyway.

Last edited:
My dreams are occasionally consistent from dream to dream, which I find interesting. For example I have a ‘dream London.’ It’s got tube stations and the British Museum and the Thames and Foyles bookshop and so on, but they are not arranged on the ground in the same way that they exist in real life, the geography is all wrong. Yet when I next dream I am in London, everything will be arranged consistently with my previous dream.

I've been studying Jung and have come to the module about dreams. I have always had very vivid detailed dreams and often wake up with my heart hammering in my chest. I'm hoping mine are not premonitions because so far in the last couple of months I've been chased and had a gun pressed to my head by John Cusack , like you do, and melted two drug dealers to a pile of sludge with their ears placed on top as a warning. I'm actually quite a nice person honestly :oops: Are they just our brains sorting junk or part of the collective unconscious?
When I wake up with my heart hammering (as I quite often do, waking up like Captain Jack in Torchwood being reanimated) - it's because I've been snoring or otherwise had my breathing impeded (asthma).

I once knew someone who was faithfully into Feng Shui, or the balance of things in your home. It's the Chinese practice of finding harmony.
I noticed that our bed faced Northwest in a home where we were the luckiest and happiest in our lives. I know it may sound silly, but we haven't had the ability to position our bed in that direction in any of our dwellings since. And we've never been as lucky or as happy as then. The next apartment we have, I am determined to place our bed in that direction, and then perhaps everything will return to normal! LOL

I can lucid dream (though it takes a ridiculous amount of effort.)

My son lucid dreams a couple of times a week.

He likes to take charge of his dream and do whatever he pleases.

I like to be aware and let the dream play out.

It's only recently that I've realised how AMAZING this is! - I can be fully aware in a detailed dreasmscape, populated by other characters who I have no idea what they will say or do or what might happen next.

I have no idea what dreams are for, but I know my brain is capable of something incredible. :)

I actually believe that dreams are our connection to the astral plane. I think that when we die, it's kind of like being in a completely lucid dream without worrying about waking up.

This would explain the Heaven/Hell NDE's quite nicely.

I can lucid dream (though it takes a ridiculous amount of effort.)

My son lucid dreams a couple of times a week.

He likes to take charge of his dream and do whatever he pleases.

I like to be aware and let the dream play out.

It's only recently that I've realised how AMAZING this is! - I can be fully aware in a detailed dreasmscape, populated by other characters who I have no idea what they will say or do or what might happen next.

I have no idea what dreams are for, but I know my brain is capable of something incredible. :)
I've often thought that during lucid dreaming. I remember one dream where I lay on the ground and looked at the texture of the grass and the earth, and thought 'my brain is good!'

Back