• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Similar to @ChasFink - when I'm going about the labs, I tend to sing, mostly snatches of various songs that pop into my head. Yesterday I was singing something less popular - I can't even remember what it was now - for about 30 seconds. When I was washing up after dinner with my iPhone playing, that same song came on. If you consider that I have something like 4 days' worth of music on my phone, that does count as a bit of a coincidence.

On Monday I woke with a really sore shoulder so rang my friend to put in an apology at Probus.
She wasn't going either as she had gastro.
Today I had an email to say that 2 people had tested positive for covid so lucky we didn't go.
I tried to ring daughter's mil as she went and doesn't use the computer but it went to voicemail so I rang my daughter who said she'd been about to ring me. Her husband hadn't been well for a couple of days with bad stomach pains so she'd taken him to hospital.
I rang eldest daughter and she said she's had bad gastro the last few days.
I think it's time the wheel of fortune turned up again for our family.

This MUST be a coincidence -

Last week I came across a cardigan/shawl clip in a drawer. They are for clipping the front of your clothes together when they don't have a fastening.

I bought a load of them a few years back and put most away, and have rarely used one.

As I was off to the Weird Weekend, held in a draughty hall where I'd need to wrap up, I threw it in my bag ready for clipping my weapons-grade thermal blanket together.*

Facebook immediately began showing me adverts for decorative cardigan clips. Why? I hadn't mentioned them online or even in conversation or looked at pictures of them.

If anyone wants me I'll be on the Bacofoil website.

*Not kidding, the place is FREEZING. Even after a £250,000 upgrade.

My sister was visiting me last week for a few days. She was reading on her Kindle Fire in the guest room one night while I was watching YouTube videos on my iPad in my room.

I paused the video I was watching and put my iPad down as I was getting sleepy. But then I couldn‘t sleep so I opened my iPad again. The audio portion of the video I had been watching appeared on the Home Screen without my having to open YouTube (it does this with videos once in a while, no idea why) so I pressed the start button assuming it would open the video in YouTube.

But as soon as I did, that video vanished from the screen and the video portion of a new one appeared, one I’d never watched on YT — Only The Good Die Young by Billy Joel. As I tried to figure out what was going on with my iPad, my sister called from her room to ask me why I was listening to that song because at the exact same time she had been reading something on a totally non music related message board she reads — but I don’t read — that just happened to mention that song.

We do both like the song, and get a kick out of it since we were raised Catholic (left that behind a lifetime ago), but that was just a really strange coincidence.

Yesterday I needed to get the bins out and couldn't open the side gate which meant I would have to go through the house and around the back way to open it.
Normally I lock the front doors but thought I'd leave them and come back that way.
As I opened the gate to take the bins out my oldest's husband came out of the house and said he wondered where I was.
He'd been to see a client and had some time to kill so came to see me.
He's only just started this job with the same firm and looks so much less stressed and I hadn't been expecting anyone to call at all.

A few days ago I was reading a book by Clarissa Dickson Wright, one of the Two Fat Ladies, titled ’The History of English Food‘ (an informative and entertaining read, btw). At one point in the text the author mentioned Hatfield House, a stately home about 25 miles north of London, in the text. A couple of seconds later a radio announcer (I always have the radio on) said “This is the BBC News, I’m Nick Hatfield”

Thursday morning, in the shower, I found myself thinking of a cyber friend in the States. I heard she was unwell a while back but hadn't had occasion to go looking her up. Thursday evening, logging onto FB, I discover she died on Wednesday evening...

I had been looking in the shops for a bag to replace mine as it's starting to wear and couldn't find what I wanted so turned to Ebay.
It arrived this week, one of many the seller had advertised.
She had an unusual Ebay name so I was surprised today to see a 2 page article on a woman who is a serial society gatecrasher with the same unusual surname. I was wondering where the bag might have been.

Music again! Yesterday afternoon the In House GP asked why the music player in the living room was still on. I said I'd been trying to connect to it but it hadn't worked, and then it just didn't turn itself off. (These new-fangled gadgets...). So he pulled the plug out and replaced it, then we both fetched our phones to check that it would reconnect. When connected to his phone, the song playing was "What Becomes of the Broken-Hearted?" When it connected to mine, the song was "Thank You for Goodbye." And this on the afternoon when the Teenager broke up with her boyfriend!

A trivial but intriguing thing. Our kitchen radio is usually set to BBC Radio Two, with occasional visits to Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra if something is on that's worth listening to.

The only deviation from this rule is a Saturday morning, where while we're eating light breakfast, Herself likes listening to Graham Norton's Saturday show (he migrated from the BBC to Virgin Radio after a tiff).

In the evening, I switched the kitchen radio on, vaguely noted it was playing a recent-ish hit from perhaps ten years ago - long enough out of the charts to be off the playlist and a "sort of gold-coloured oldie". Something otherwise so-so and not all that memorable, anyway.

I realised the radio was still set to Virgin, and switched it over to its usual default of Radio Two.

EXACTLY the same song was playing. not in synchronicity to Virgin - but maybe thirty seconds apart. I had to check I'd actually changed channel.

As I say, trivial. But worth noting.

Last edited:
A trivial but intriguing thing. Our kitchen radio is usually set to BBC Radio Two, with occasional visits to Radio 4 or Radio 4 Extra if something is on that's worth listening to.

The only deviation from this rule is a Saturday morning, where while we're eating light breakfast, Herself likes listening to Graham Norton's Saturday show (he migrated from the BBC to Virgin Radio after a tiff).

In the evening, I switched the kitchen radio on, vaguely noted it was playing a recent-ish hit from perhaps ten years ago - long enough out of the charts to be off the playlist and a "sort of gold-coloured oldie". Something otherwise so-so and not all that memorable, anyway.

I realised the radio was still set to Virgin, and switched it over to its usual default of Radio Two.

EXACTLY the same song was playing. not in synchronicity to Virgin - but maybe thirty seconds apart. I had to check I'd actually changed channel.

As I say, trivial. But worth noting.

Was it The Whole of the bloody Moon by The Waterboys?

I think you'll be upset to hear that was released in 1985. Slightly more than 10 years ago.
Yes....me too.

I think you'll be upset to hear that was released in 1985. Slightly more than 10 years ago.
Yes....me too.

It was rereleased in the mid-1990s and was a far bigger hit. Now every music radio station in the land plays the bastard on rotation.

That and 'Chasing bleedin Cars' by Snow Patrol.

Indeed, we could easily have a separate thread for 'Songs that refuse to be dead and buried'.

Trev666 said:
Yes....me too.
It was rereleased in the mid-1990s and was a far bigger hit. Now every music radio station in the land plays the bastard on rotation.

The re-release was a little earlier, in April 1991. Number three behind Chesney Hawkes and James. Do '90s gold' stations play 'The One and Only' and 'Sit Down' too?

I fear the answer is "yes"

Music again! I was getting stuck in to the washing up whilst the Teenager was finishing up a small orange. I noticed that she still had half a glass of pure orange juice on the side, and I said "I see you're looking to harness the power of the poo!" Just at that point the Pierces' song "The Power Of" started playing from my playlist. The Teenager was quick to point out the coincidence.

Similar to @ChasFink - when I'm going about the labs, I tend to sing, mostly snatches of various songs that pop into my head. Yesterday I was singing something less popular - I can't even remember what it was now - for about 30 seconds. When I was washing up after dinner with my iPhone playing, that same song came on. If you consider that I have something like 4 days' worth of music on my phone, that does count as a bit of a coincidence.
It isn't a coincidence. Your iPhone listens to you. If you mention a trip you took photos you took on that trip will pop up, probably the same with the music.

Back