• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

The mums net contributor. It was at the top of the quote I posted.
I'll look. :salute:

Edit - ah right, got it now.

We live near the local cemetery and several undertakers' premises.
Every time we go out there's a funeral going by.
There could be a hundred phantom funerals a week and we wouldn't notice. :chuckle:

Last edited:
I'll look. :salute:

Edit - ah right, got it now.

We live near the local cemetery and several undertakers' premises.
Every time we go out there's a funeral going by.
There could be a hundred phantom funerals a week and we wouldn't notice. :chuckle:
I worked it a cemetery office some decades ago. I heard the clip clop of hooves. It had me going until I’d remembered the manager had said there was a horse drawn funeral coming. :rollingw:

I worked it a cemetery office some decades ago. I heard the clip clop of hooves. It had me going until I’d remembered the manager had said there was a horse drawn funeral coming. :rollingw:
We often see the carriage-hearse and the horses being unloaded at the cemetery, and then later in their clip-clopping glory. Very dignified indeed.
Crosses my mind to pop out with the shovel after they've gone by. Rhubarb season's a-coming.

We often see the carriage-hearse and the horses being unloaded at the cemetery, and then later in their clip-clopping glory. Very dignified indeed.
Crosses my mind to pop out with the shovel after they've gone by. Rhubarb season's a-coming.
We had a horse-drawn funeral like that around here recently. You really have to draw the lines somewhere in life and Corpse Funeral Horsemuck surely has to be near the top of the list.

We had a horse-drawn funeral like that around here recently. You really have to draw the lines somewhere in life and Corpse Funeral Horsemuck surely has to be near the top of the list.
One likes to think of the recently deceased as a keen gardener who'd appreciate this act of organic recirculation. :cool:
My rhubarb might also express approbation. ;)

I just want to know one thing - Who is 'Marduk'??

A Mesopotamian god; Babylon's patron deity.

"Disciple of Marduk" is the default user title for a member with at least 25,000 posts, just as your "Abominable Snowman" default title is attributed to someone who has at least 500 posts.

A Mesopotamian god; Babylon's patron deity.

"Disciple of Marduk" is the default user title for a member with at least 25,000 posts, just as your "Abominable Snowman" default title is attributed to someone who has at least 500 posts.

I keep misreading my new(ish) title as "Abominable Showman"

Still trying to read the Mumsnet stories but it would be really great if you could see them around the adverts :mad:
76ED7E99-4118-4424-8744-FC1E3960B12D.jpeg

Get an adblocker extension for your browser.
Mumsnet have a Premier version for people who pay and thus avoid the ads. I think their forum got mega successful but - and we should speak warily here - the need to pay people to moderate and oversee the general posts (people were using the forum to beg for items and money or to post adverts for their products) meant that they had to start getting revenue in.

Mumsnet have a Premier version for people who pay and thus avoid the ads. I think their forum got mega successful but - and we should speak warily here - the need to pay people to moderate and oversee the general posts (people were using the forum to beg for items and money or to post adverts for their products) meant that they had to start getting revenue in.

I don't think we are likely to get to that stage.

Just checked adblocker still works on mumsnet.

Translation: Oh no! The peasants are revolting....

Forgive me if this has been posted, and speaking of Mumsnet....Creepiest thing that has happened to you that you can not explain?:D
Definitely worth a read:

"Found it. Warning: it's very long (sorry) and very freaky, and if anyone can come up with a rational explanation I'd be extremely grateful because I'm generally a pretty rational non-woo where's-the-evidence person, but I've never been able to explain this and it still makes my heart beat faster and the hair stand up on my arms when I think about it, years later.

I was pet sitting for my friend several years ago. She had moved into a sort of small holding right on the edge of a village in the SW, with a huge garden that backed onto trees. At the time she had a right menagerie - chickens, ducks, a couple of Shetlands, cats and four black retrievers, three fully grown and one a half grown puppy. Originally DH had been going to come with me as a little holiday but the dates she ended up having to go away for work clashed with a couple of his medical appointments so he stayed at home with our dog and I went to petsit alone.

It was about halfway through my stay, a couple of nights to go. Late evening, already dark when I heard a massive commotion from the chicken shed, banging and thumping. I assumed a fox or something had got in so went out to check. As I was halfway across the garden the noise stopped instantly as if it had been shut off; by the time I got to the shed all was calm and the chickens were all settled, mostly asleep. No sign of any intruder or disturbance at all, nothing to explain the noise or any indication that the chickens had made a noise. Bit freaky but I didn't (and still don't) know much about The Way of Chicken so I locked up again and left them to it.

As I went back in the house a small black shape ran past me out of the back door.... [continued in link below]

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_b...-has-happened-to-you-that-you-can-not-explain

I guess we will never be able to validate this story but it is a cracker and doesn't get carried away with a 'Hollywood ending' and thus has the ring of truth for me.

Last edited:
More like this, please!
Apparently the location was Savernake Forest. This to home to a population of wild boar, which might explain some aspects of the story but by no means all of it:

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/.../19660106.huge-porker-tearing-lawn-says-earl/

Another:

Chiilingham Castle years ago. Booked after seeing it World's Most Haunted. Earthquake just after my ex and I decided to book.
Then!
We stayed there. Couple in room above us who arrived at the same time left in the middle of the night.
Out of nowhere because we couldn’t open windows,flies everywhere .
We sprayed and got fly papers. Still on day 2 loads of flies.
Night 3 ,sitting in the lounge area of the apartment doing a jigsaw.
Ex decided to go for a bath. I’m cracking on with the jigsaw when I feel someone leaning over my shoulder.
‘There’s a piece missing ‘ I say.
‘What?’ my ex shouts from the bathroom.
I ‘feel’ the someone’ leaning closer and it feels as if their head it next to mine.
I sat ridged until ex came back.
Went into The Kings Room and the huge candelabra started to swing.
It’s a beautiful place and the grounds are lovely and I want to go again to see if I imagined it.

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_b...-has-happened-to-you-that-you-can-not-explain

Apparently the location was Savernake Forest. This to home to a population of wild boar, which might explain some aspects of the story but by no means all of it:

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/.../19660106.huge-porker-tearing-lawn-says-earl/
More like this, please!
You will like this one:

"Woobeedoo · 28/04/2020 22:39

My partner and I had been together about a year and decided to rent a place together. Found a lovely Warner flat in Walthamstow and all was good for about a year. Bizarre things started after my Uncle passed away suddenly, although shortly before we moved we discovered the upstairs neighbours held a ouija board party so who knows?

I'll be the first to admit that this story sounds just that, a 'story', but every word is true and it was bloody terrifying.

[Continued in link below]

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_b...ppened-to-you-that-you-can-not-explain?page=3

Last edited:
This is from the excellent blog post on the Welsh Triangle:

https://www.babiafi.co.uk/2019/06/t...howComment=1650713745811#c1019002562467523411

This isn't from Mumsnet, but is something experienced by a mum as a child and recounted by her daughter. As you will read it occurred during the Welsh Triangle UFO flap:

"In 1977 my mum was 10 years old. It was either the last week of July or the first week of August, and the family had decamped en masse from Cwmbran, Gwent to Broad Haven in the county of Dyfed. They went to Broad Haven Holiday Park fairly often, staying in a caravan they rented from relatives - possibly my nan's sister Mary and her husband, Jack. Another of her sisters, Joanie, was also with them, though she was renting a separate caravan with children, Paul and Karen.

Meanwhile my mum was sharing with her parents (Iris (46) and John (47), older siblings Tony (14) and Hazel (22), and Hazel's husband Jeff and their son Lee (6). That night my grandparents were sleeping on the sofas in the main living space of the caravan, with mum and Lee sharing the nearby table-turned-bed. It was late. Late enough that everyone else was asleep and the lights from neighbouring caravans were all out, leaving nothing but a few lamps to guide the way to the park's toilet block.

Mum says she was woken by either a light or a humming sound. At first she thought the light might have been lightening - a big childhood fear - so she tried to look out the window for reassurance. The side window above the table only looked out onto next door's caravan, so there was nothing for it but to get out of bed and look through the main window at the end of the caravan. The curtains were all wide open because my nan refused to stay in a room with them shut, claiming it made her feel claustrophobic.

What she saw through that window would stay with her forever.

[continued in link above]

Last edited:
Another good one from Mumsnet:

"FlamingoQueen · 28/04/2020 22:55

My DH and I were coming home from in-laws one night (before dc) DH was driving. Along a country lane I saw a young man dressed in WW1 clothing step back into the hedge. At exactly the same time my DH put his foot on the brake. I remember looking at him and saying ‘did you just see a man in WW1 clothing’ and he said yes! As we passed the spot where we’d both seen the man, we slowed down (refused to stop) and it was a stone wall with brambles over it, there was no gate or break in the wall. It was nearly 20 years ago and I can still remember it.
My heart rate has gone up writing this and DH is not home tonight (key worker) and I wish I hadn’t read all of the stories!!"

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/am_i_b...ppened-to-you-that-you-can-not-explain?page=3

Just for balance, I feel this one is fiction:

"DamnYankee · 28/04/2020 23:22

This is not exactly creepy, but weird nonetheless.

My grandmother died suddenly. Healthy one day, gone from a heart attack the next.

About two weeks after her funeral, I had a dream that she called me. She was (cheerfully) aware she was dead and said just wanted to check on everyone. She asked a lot of detailed questions about those she'd left behind, which I duly answered.

She continued to "call" me....

[continued in link below]

Personally I feel the detail is far too rational for a dream, especially given that we generally dream in metaphors.

Last edited:
I'd be wary of copy and pasting whole stories with photos from other sites, their owners and users might not like it!

I'd be wary of copy and pasting whole stories with photos from other sites, their owners and users might not like it!
I did message the site owner with my intentions, if there is an objection I will delete the post, however Mods please edit/delete if you feel that would be correct

Last edited:
Back