• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

I noted last year that Brighton had felt it necessary to put large signs on the outside of its bins, reading, “PLEASE DO NOT CLIMB INTO THE BINS”.

I wonder if this was knock-on arse-covering by local government after the McKeague incident?

lf it is, obviously the jobsworths in the council have never been proper cabbaged. Do they imagine that someone so pant-wettingly rat-arsed as to contemplate sleeping in a bin would:

a) Bother to read the notices on a bin, or;

b) Pay any attention to them if they did?

maximus otter

I noted last year that Brighton had felt it necessary to put large signs on the outside of its bins, reading, “PLEASE DO NOT CLIMB INTO THE BINS”.

I wonder if this was knock-on arse-covering by local government after the McKeague incident?...

I don't think it's anywhere near as unusual an occurrence as people might have thought.

My own feeling is that modern drinking culture is a different entity to the thing it used to be, even compared to my decidedly intemperate youth. Much of the related behaviour now seems closer to that which I would have once associated with drug use. I suspect that shot culture has as much to do with this. But also, given that cheap coke is now a staple of very many more nights out than it ever used to be - much of it probably is behaviour associated with drug use.

I wonder if this was knock-on arse-covering by local government after the McKeague incident?

lf it is, obviously the jobsworths in the council have never been proper cabbaged. Do they imagine that someone so pant-wettingly rat-arsed as to contemplate sleeping in a bin would:

maximus otter

Brighton drunks are of a more arty type and are prone to put on impromptu performances of Beckett's Endgame.

I was listening to Stuart Maconie on 6Music last night and he played a track by Connie Converse, have we mentioned her yet? Here's an article:
Link

She was a singer songwriter in the 1950s, one of the first of her kind, but by the 70s she had slipped into depression and alcoholism. However, she then announced she had turned a corner and was going to clean up her act, so packed all her belongings into a Volkswagen and hit the road. She was never seen again, not a trace of her remains except some recordings and photographs. A real enigma, her family thought she committed suicide, but there's no proof of that.

I was listening to Stuart Maconie on 6Music last night and he played a track by Connie Converse, have we mentioned her yet? Here's an article:
Link

She was a singer songwriter in the 1950s, one of the first of her kind, but by the 70s she had slipped into depression and alcoholism. However, she then announced she had turned a corner and was going to clean up her act, so packed all her belongings into a Volkswagen and hit the road. She was never seen again, not a trace of her remains except some recordings and photographs. A real enigma, her family thought she committed suicide, but there's no proof of that.
She probably escaped from her strict Baptist family and settled down with somebody nice.
I like to think that's how it panned out.

She probably escaped from her strict Baptist family and settled down with somebody nice.
I like to think that's how it panned out.
That sounds like an optimistic option.....A more pessimistic option could be that her disappointment with her life and her feelings about her age led her to do something less positive.

Just seen on YouTube, a pretty heartbreaking story and so avoidable. Husband and wife, he 72 and her 69 and apparently having to use a walking frame. They take their new mobile home towing a little car into the back of beyond in the States. The route they took was virtually impassable and there was snow on the ground. Needless to say the vehicle gets stuck, so they abandon it and use their car, which also gets stuck. Reported missing for several days, air search finally locates them. Lady survives but husband had died in her arms a couple of days before they were found. The company who recovered the vehicles did it at no cost and had to drive 12 hours to get to the location. Restores your faith a bit.

https://www.westmercia.police.uk/ne...l-from-family-of-missing-woman-janet-edwards/

A local woman has just vanished from the face of the earth in Hereford. She hasn't been seen for well over a month now and no-one has any idea what has happened to her. It's becoming a real mystery.
That link doesn't work now so I googled her name. Her body was found in the River Wye three months after she went missing.

Safe BBC News link -

Janet Edwards: Body found in River Wye is missing former nurse

Mrs Edwards was last seen on 10 December in Hereford and hundreds of people had joined searches for her.
Her body was discovered in Netherton, Ross-on-Wye, and police said her family had been informed.
Det Ch Insp Emma Whitworth said the force was "deeply saddened", adding there had been a "huge amount of hope in finding Janet safe and well".
Mrs Edwards, 67, was last seen at Beechwood Court, in Hereford. Her family said Christmas had been "painfully sad" without her.

All very sad and tragic.

I wonder if it was accident or suicide? Sad. I think the last few years have been tough on everybody.
Looks most likely a suicide to me. There seems little other reason for her to be found in the river.
Her poor family. :(

Looks most likely a suicide to me. There seems little other reason for her to be found in the river.
Her poor family.
She looked like a nice lady who took care of her health/was probably quite fit. It must be awful for family and friends, as you say.

I know of someone who died just before Christmas. It was a shock to hear about it, and at first it sounded like a terrible accident, but it might have actually been suicide. I wouldn't have wanted that person to suffer or feel so low that they thought that was their only choice. I felt very sorry for the family/close friends.

Last edited:
British journalist Dom Phillips and his travelling companion Brazilian indigenous rights lawyer Bruno Pereira vanish in a remote part of the Amazon. Nothing has been heard from them since Sunday, when they embarked on a short river trip.
They had received threats from armed men and there is good reason to be seriously concerned for their welfare.

dom.png

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ppearance-find-dom-phillips-and-bruno-pereira

British journalist Dom Phillips and his travelling companion Brazilian indigenous rights lawyer Bruno Pereira vanish in a remote part of the Amazon. Nothing has been heard from them since Sunday, when they embarked on a short river trip.
They had received threats from armed men and there is good reason to be seriously concerned for their welfare.

View attachment 55959

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ppearance-find-dom-phillips-and-bruno-pereira

A follow-up article has just appeared.
The Itaquaí region is a lawless area near the border with Peru and is notorious for armed gangs and various illegal activities.
Looks like the authorities have been dragging their heels when asked to investigate the disappearances.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...razil-should-leave-you-incandescent-with-rage

A fisherman has confessed to the killings, but more arrests are expected.
Police: Amazon fisherman confesses to killing missing men

A fisherman confessed to killing a British journalist and an Indigenous expert in Brazil’s remote Amazon region and took police to a site where human remains were recovered, a federal investigator said after a grim 10-day search for the missing pair.

Authorities said Wednesday that they expected to make more arrests in the case of freelance reporter Dom Phillips and Bruno Pereira of Brazil, who disappeared June 5. None had been made as of Thursday morning, but police said searches for the boat the two had used were about to restart.

They gave no immediate explanation of a motive for the killing, but earlier suggested that Pereira’s work to stop illegal fishing in an Indigenous reserve had angered local fishermen. ...

Torres said the remains were expected to be identified within days, and if confirmed as the missing men, “will be returned to the families of the two.”

“We found the bodies t3 kilometers (nearly 2 miles) into the woods,” the investigator said, adding that officers traveled about one hour and forty minutes by boat and 25 more into the woods to reach the burial spot. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/caribbean-brazil-fish-arrests-f5290b6c4fd0155ee38f98fcb07165a0

Or to be more precise, a hit bury the bike and body and run. They will probably get a right slap on the wrist for that.
I posted this back in January 2021 and unfortunately I was right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-62913661

It is alleged Alexander McKellar struck Mr Parsons while driving under the influence of alcohol, seriously injuring him.
Prosecutors claim the men then assaulted him with "wicked and reckless disregard" for the consequences.
It is alleged the McKellars initially abandoned the ex-navy officer at the side of the road in a dark, remote location amid bad weather conditions.
The vehicle was allegedly driven to the Auch Estate before they returned to put Mr Parsons' body in another car.
The McKellars allegedly then put him, the bike and other belongings in the vehicle and went back to the Auch Estate.
The murder charge claims Mr Parsons, of Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, was then hidden under tarpaulin there in a wooded area and that he died.

It is pretty awful reading. I had better not be right about the slap on the wrist. :-(

Another Scottish case in the news this week is that of Renee and Andrew MacRae who disappeared from Inverness in November 1976. On Wednesday 28th September the married man she was having an affair with at the time of her disappearance, William MacDowell, was convicted of their murder and sentenced to life in prison with a minimum term of 30 years (which given he’s 86 years old means he will die in prison). He has not yet said how or where he disposed of the bodies.

maximus otter
I once slept in a roadside grit bin near Porlock after unwisely drinking pints of the local 'under the bar' scrumpy. Never again!

My only worry at this stage is that the finder is one of the more self-opinionated Ripperologists - he thinks Kosminiski is the murderer based on highly dubious DNA evidence with no genuine chain of ownership.
After reading the article I’m a bit uneasy about this man. What a coincidence that his hunch was correct about the swastika layout,it all seems a bit far fetched.
I hope he has found the remains but let’s see.

After reading the article I’m a bit uneasy about this man. What a coincidence that his hunch was correct about the swastika layout,it all seems a bit far fetched.
I hope he has found the remains but let’s see.
I thought he had made rather a logical jump to identify the area too, and with no knowledge of his writings I have no idea whether he is likely to be correct. The article suggests other experts were helping him.

If nothing comes of it, I feel sorry for the family. They have been through so many times of hoping to be able to lay the boy to rest in peace, then disappointment.

I personally think the media speculation is a bit distasteful. The poor family don't need any more torment.

I would hope that they could find his remains privately, if that is what they are and let the family lay them to rest.

I personally think the media speculation is a bit distasteful. The poor family don't need any more torment.

I would hope that they could find his remains privately, if that is what they are and let the family lay them to rest.
I agree with you on this. The more I hear about it, the more speculative the new theory is on the location, and so far it sounds as if nothing has been found. I think the Daily Mail article must have come about because the writer of the book who has this theory contacted them.

So far (it seems) nothing has been found to suggest there is anything there by the teams digging, despite the claims of the author of the book/Daily Mail article. It was clear they claimed to have found material, bones, and possibly a skull.....

If this author has wasted police time and led to more grief for the families, maybe he could be prosecuted for this after the search?

Back