• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I can't help feeling that the BKA's reply to the medium's offer of information...

Your information will be appropriately incorporated into our work

...has the feel of a stock response - an admirably all encompassing yet non-committal catch-all that could be applied to virtually any situation.

That said, I'm always surprised by how often psychics do get involved in big cases. At one time the Dutch seemed to have the market cornered: Peter Hurkos and Gerard Croiset, were, or became, quite well known and involved themselves in several high profile cases - including the once infamous kidnapping of Muriel McKay, and Australia's still infamous Beaumont Children case.

Last edited:
Personally, I can count the number of posters I've owned of child-murder victims pretty quickly.

I think it's the same as mine. This is truly gruesome - I wonder what the reason supplied by the third party is?

That he's a pervert?
While I agree that "He's a pervert" is the most probable explanation, don't forget that many of the people in this forum have spent time reading about, collecting books about, and maybe collecting images of, Jack the Ripper and his victims.

There are also no doubt many with a similar interest in other serial killers — there are threads about serial killers, and this present thread has so far generated 57 pages of discussion about the Madeleine McCann case.

Less directly relevant to this board, in my home town of Nottingham, there was a wall completely devoted to graffiti messages along the lines of "Come home, Maddy, we love you."

The mysterious disappearance of a pretty little girl affected people in many different ways. Some take an intellectual interest; others become excessively sentimental; and there is the horrible modern phenomenon of recreation vicarious grief that we saw after the Soham killings.

So there are many reasons why he may have had a poster of Madeleine McCann, but perversion — or, at least, unhealthy fascination — has to be fairly high up the list of possible explanations.

While I agree that "He's a pervert" is the most probable explanation, don't forget that many of the people in this forum have spent time reading about, collecting books about, and maybe collecting images of, Jack the Ripper and his victims.

With the caveat (again) that we don't have a satisfactorily detailed report on this new twist, I think you are conflating dissimilar things. Collecting images of 'Jack the Ripper' (though taken literally that would be a rather empty folder) would likely amount to images of a whole host of different items: streetmaps, birth and death certificates, newspaper articles, hospital records, and, yes, photographs of those involved in the case—including victims.

There is, so far, no indication that this image was part of a wider collection, and more importantly, I would be very surprised to find anybody tolerably (read: safely) normal who would have a poster of the ripper victims on his (grammatically, but also usually 'his') wall.

You mention how the case has affected people in different ways; this is very true, but if this current tale is an example of one such reaction (and not directly linked to the crime), it's a morbidly extreme one that stands way out of line with other excessively mawkish displays.

So there are many reasons why he may have had a poster of Madeleine McCann, but perversion — or, at least, unhealthy fascination — has to be fairly high up the list of possible explanations.

'Many' is inaccurate here. There are a few—all troubling.

I would suggest to anybody that thinks this is just one reaction at the end of a spectrum that he give himself the often salutary 'neighbour test': if this is a bit odd but essentially harmless (not, I acknowledge, what MikeFule has said), then would you be content to live next-door to him?

Madeleine McCann suspect has ‘number of alibis’ for day she vanished​

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/26/made...mber-of-alibis-for-day-she-vanished-15994584/

Wording sounds amusingly offhand:

Alibis? Yeah, any number of them governor--all you could possibly want.

There's Dave... Barry.... Just let me call them and jog their memories...

Reminds me of an old friend ranting about a business called 'The Beauty Warehouse':

Beauty? That elusive and ineffable quality that stills the heart of men? Tons of it, mate--boatloads!

Wording sounds amusingly offhand:

Alibis? Yeah, any number of them governor--all you could possibly want.

There's Dave... Barry.... Just let me call them and jog their memories...

Reminds me of an old friend ranting about a business called 'The Beauty Warehouse':

Beauty? That elusive and ineffable quality that stills the heart of men? Tons of it, mate--boatloads!
Did you read it?

‘The anonymous source has also claimed the witnesses ‘aren’t interested in covering up’ for Brueckner and that they ‘simply don’t want to see the wrong person convicted’ for Madeleine’s disappearance.’

Did you read it?

‘The anonymous source has also claimed the witnesses ‘aren’t interested in covering up’ for Brueckner and that they ‘simply don’t want to see the wrong person convicted’ for Madeleine’s disappearance.’

Yes, though I was commenting specifically on the quoted headline.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

I was just wondering if the number was zero.

Madeleine McCann case closed by Met Police after 11 years

The 11-year investigation into Madeleine McCann’s disappearance is expected to be wound down as funding runs out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...n-case-closed-met-police-11-years-amid-fears/

To date UK police have spent almost €15.5 million on the investigation.

https://extra.ie/2022/03/20/news/world-news/madeleine-mccann-investigation-to-close

maximus otter

If only they were allowed to treat two doctors as suspects and investigate them.

Madeleine McCann case closed by Met Police after 11 years

The 11-year investigation into Madeleine McCann’s disappearance is expected to be wound down as funding runs out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...n-case-closed-met-police-11-years-amid-fears/

To date UK police have spent almost €15.5 million on the investigation.

https://extra.ie/2022/03/20/news/world-news/madeleine-mccann-investigation-to-close

maximus otter
Makes me wonder if this has something to do with changes at the top of the Met. I wonder if the McCanns had something on someone that’ll be no good now.

All in the best possible taste? :(

Burger van ads which joked about Madeleine McCann on Mother’s Day are banned​

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/20/burg...eleine-mccann-on-mothers-day-banned-16493368/

What a great little moral panic. :)
The Otley Burger Company had lots of free publicity. One assumes the proprietor believes your average burger-guzzler to be not too fussed about missing children or their parents' feelings and would probably had a good laugh about it all.

Meanwhile, three actual complaints were made and they were acted upon; most unusual.

All in all, everybody wins. :cool:

Except of course the McCanns who were being mocked for literally going out to eat and drink, leaving their children unsupervised.

Edited to include a clarification about burger-guzzlers.
I'm still happy to see the McCanns' parenting style brought up though.

Last edited:
What a great little moral panic. :)
The Otley Burger Company had lots of free publicity. One assumes your average burger-guzzler, not too fussed about missing children or their parents' feelings, probably had a good laugh about it all.

Meanwhile, three actual complaints were made and they were acted upon; most unusual.

All in all, everybody wins. :cool:

Except of course the McCanns who were being mocked for literally going out to eat and drink, leaving their children unsupervised.
I like the occasional burger and yet funnily I don’t find child abduction amusing. Weird ay?

Every time this thread bobs to the top, I hope they've found something. Sigh.

I'm still of the (seemingly unpopular) opinion that the little girl woke up, let herself out of the apartment and went looking for her parents, then ended up hiding somewhere and dying (possibly of drowning). I've been presented with hundreds of reasons why this 'couldn't possibly' be the case, but none of them compelling enough to persuade me. Small children can be incredibly impetuous and run by streams of thought that adults cannot comprehend, so I can see how my scenario could happen. I struggle to see how an abduction could be carried out - I mean, I can logically see, but I have no idea why anyone would take the older child when a more portable, smaller (and quieter) option was available, and how stupendously fortuitous the timing would need to be.

Every time this thread bobs to the top, I hope they've found something. Sigh.

I'm still of the (seemingly unpopular) opinion that the little girl woke up, let herself out of the apartment and went looking for her parents, then ended up hiding somewhere and dying (possibly of drowning). I've been presented with hundreds of reasons why this 'couldn't possibly' be the case, but none of them compelling enough to persuade me. Small children can be incredibly impetuous and run by streams of thought that adults cannot comprehend, so I can see how my scenario could happen. I struggle to see how an abduction could be carried out - I mean, I can logically see, but I have no idea why anyone would take the older child when a more portable, smaller (and quieter) option was available, and how stupendously fortuitous the timing would need to be.
I’m sure there was a drama with a guy still looking for his kid years later. It turned out he’d got run over and his death had been covered up.

I like the occasional burger and yet funnily I don’t find child abduction amusing. Weird ay?
No burger-consumer slur was intended. I didn't convey my meaning very well.
I intended to say that the burger place's proprietor assumed his clients to be insensitive. So I'll do a clarifying edit.

I have no idea why anyone would take the older child when a more portable, smaller (and quieter) option was available,
An abductor looking for a child to sexually assault might want the older child because she, well, we've been over this before. :(

She wouldn't be in a nappy for a start. She'd be more amenable to threats or bribes to keep quiet. An abductor could reassure her that she was being taken to Mummy or whatever which wouldn't work with a toddler, and so on.

I’m sure there was a drama with a guy still looking for his kid years later. It turned out he’d got run over and his death had been covered up.
You might well be thinking of the real-life story of Ben Needham, who was accidentally killed on the Greek island of Kos in 1991 and his body buried. There were later supposed sightings of Ben in Greece and Turkey. It's a fascinating but desperately sad tale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Ben_Needham

An abductor looking for a child to sexually assault might want the older child because she, well, we've been over this before. :(

She wouldn't be in a nappy for a start. She'd be more amenable to threats or bribes to keep quiet. An abductor could reassure her that she was being taken to Mummy or whatever which wouldn't work with a toddler, and so on.
Yes, there's a hundred reasons for and against. I've just got a feeling. But then, I've got a feeling that I need to eat cake all day too, and we know where that leads.

Yup, I know which you mean. That Northern Irish bloke was in it.

Back