• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've developed a much less elegant but easier solution to manly chafing years ago Skargs .. I call it 'The Manpon': .. it takes at least 8 sheets of toilet paper still joined together then carefully place them between your arse cheeks if you're, oh I don't know, about to start a work shift in a pro kitchen in the summer time for example .. no need for sudacrem when you get home because of some new rash plus you're left with a solid papier mache cast of the inside of your arse that you can just chuck in the bin or gift to a friend .. or more honestly, forget it's there at all then the next morning wake up and it's just lying there next to you ..
This (everso slightly) reminds me of the time many years ago, when I had a summer cold. In the middle of the night I grabbed what I thought was a hanky that I'd left beside the bed, and blew my nose vigorously, then slept the remainder of the night with the hanky stuffed up my nose.

When I woke in the morning, what I had thought was a hanky was yesterday's knickers, welded to my cheek with a liberal application of snot.

This (everso slightly) reminds me of the time many years ago, when I had a summer cold. In the middle of the night I grabbed what I thought was a hanky that I'd left beside the bed, and blew my nose vigorously, then slept the remainder of the night with the hanky stuffed up my nose.

When I woke in the morning, what I had thought was a hanky was yesterday's knickers, welded to my cheek with a liberal application of snot.
Now I'll never be able to get that image out of my brain. Thanks for that.

So this morning I was sat here, using the PC, and it had come over really rather heavily cloudy outside, so I switched on the 'uplighter' standard lamp next to my desk.
I have it fitted with a 8800 lumens (400w) halogen linear R7 bulb. (yes, very bright).
Anyway....suddenly there is a bright flash which I took to be a lightning strike nearby and I thought it had (unusually) knocked out the power because the room went dark, but then I realised it was just the light had gone out - everything else was still working.
I thought that was odd, and that maybe it had been a surge which had caused the bulb to blow.
So I checked with a neighbour who was outside, calling out to them to see if they had seen the lightning flash, and no, they hadn't seen anything, so I assumed it must have been the bulb suddenly flashing, like a flash on a camera.
When I checked the bulb I found that, unlike when they usually blow and the little filament inside is broken and wobbling about inside the glass casing, this time the whole of the glass tube is filled with a grey coloured powder! Most strange.
1650635911774.png

So this morning I was sat here, using the PC, and it had come over really rather heavily cloudy outside, so I switched on the 'uplighter' standard lamp next to my desk.
I have it fitted with a 8800 lumens (400w) halogen linear R7 bulb. (yes, very bright).
Anyway....suddenly there is a bright flash which I took to be a lightning strike nearby and I thought it had (unusually) knocked out the power because the room went dark, but then I realised it was just the light had gone out - everything else was still working.
I thought that was odd, and that maybe it had been a surge which had caused the bulb to blow.
So I checked with a neighbour who was outside, calling out to them to see if they had seen the lightning flash, and no, they hadn't seen anything, so I assumed it must have been the bulb suddenly flashing, like a flash on a camera.
When I checked the bulb I found that, unlike when they usually blow and the little filament inside is broken and wobbling about inside the glass casing, this time the whole of the glass tube is filled with a grey coloured powder! Most strange.
View attachment 54632
By the look of it, and in my judgement, I think you're gonna need a new one!

Possibly; it might have something to do with the gases, and the amount of moisture inside, and a sudden reaction which may have caused the grey layer to form on the internal sides of the glass tube.

After a little bit of online research ~ have found that it might possibly be something to do with tungsten atoms flying away from the hot filament, which then condenses on the cooler parts of the glass which could be why the grey layer is apparent inside the inner wall of the tube?
P.S.
This explains the process very well. . . (
*see - 'top answer')

https://www.quora.com/After-long-pe...t-develops-on-inside-of-the-bulb-what-is-that

Last edited:
Brought Stanley Terrier's ashes home today. About 8pm heard him barking outside. Not for just a mo, maybe a minute or so. He had a quite distinctive bark, and although there are a couple of other dogs not too far away I never hear them barking from inside the house.

Just the mind playing tricks I guess. It'd be nice to think he's still on patrol out there though.

Last edited:
Brought Stanley Terrier's ashes home today. About 8pm heard him barking outside. Not for just a mo, maybe a minute or so. He had a quite distinctive bark, and although there are a couple of other dogs not too far away I never hear them barking from inside the house.

Just the mind playing tricks I guess. It'd be nice to think he's still on patrol out there though.
Well I never I was particularly thinking about you earlier today and wondering how you were after losing your canine companion. I was intending to send you a pm letting you know I was thinking about you. Lo and behold just checking in and here you are with news. How lovely that you heard him barking. :) All the best, Sollywos x

I think you're gonna need a new one!
Oi stop nicking my position of 'Master of stating the bleedin obvious', lol.

Fortunately I know that these R7 bulbs have a limited lifespan (especially with prolonged use) so I always have a couple of spares in the house.
They aint cheap but I'd rather have some good illumination than sit here in the half-dark.

Reactions: Sid
Oi stop nicking my position of 'Master of stating the bleedin obvious', lol.

Fortunately I know that these R7 bulbs have a limited lifespan (especially with prolonged use) so I always have a couple of spares in the house.
They aint cheap but I'd rather have some good illumination than sit here in the half-dark.
:sshot: Hah. . . say cheese. . ."Snap!"

According to Fox News TV a new fade of men sun tanning their testicles to increased their testosterone levels.

This is called “ Bromeotherapy “ which I had never heard before.

I guess one could call it“ hot nuts “ therapy !

Actually heat decreases sperm production, and that is why the testicles are outside the body.

According to Fox News TV a new fade of men sun tanning their testicles to increased their testosterone levels.

This is called “ Bromeotherapy “ which I had never heard before.

I guess one could call it“ hot nuts “ therapy !

Actually heat decreases sperm production, and that is why the testicles are outside the body.
Sounds kinda painful? (Not being in possession of a pair myself.)

Minor Strangeness: Tapping from the Floorboards

Just not even ten minutes ago this happened. I was sat reading latest FT in utter silence at my desk, but with my chair facing away from the desk and I was kind of hunkered forwards, arms on my knees. Suddenly from immediately beneath my feet a very clear rapping sound began, exactly like the sound of knuckles on the ceiling of the apartment beneath. It was utterly clear and sounded like someone was stood directly beneath me, tapping the ceiling. I sat up a bit and listened around the flat to see if I was mistaken. Definitely from beneath me.

I was a bit unnerved straight away, which is not like me. The rapping carried on for a few moments and became more intense, not louder but quicker until it got to the point where it was so fast it could not possibly have been made by a person, although the sound still had a very human quality.

By now Im pretty spooked and it took me a while to think about moving out of the chair. I was even worried that I had not locked the door to my place as I had had my hands full coming in. I decided to get a recording device and try and catch the sound. As I turned around on the chair the sound immediately receeded, not in terms of sounding distant but growing slower and fainter.

I stopped in the chair and listened. It came back for a moment more, so that it was as clear as when it had begun, then it was gone.

Where I live is the 2nd floor (as in ground, first, second) and the top floor of the building. There is only one apartment beneath me, the guy is not home, he lives alone. The sound was preceeded and followed by utter silence. My heating was off, not sure about his. But I have lived here for 10 years and never heard anything like it, although the guy downstairs only moved in about 6 months ago.

Immediately afterwards I walked around my flat, looking for an apparent source of the sound for a minute or two when the door from the bar into the hallway audibly clicked itself shut even though I had not come through it. That spooked me even more but I was on tenterhooks by then though, and it could have just been caught on the latch mechanism and waiting to close properly (it never does that though).

Hopefully unconnected but the weekend just gone was the 1st anniversary of the premature death of an acquaintance of mine, and I did a perhaps disrespectful thing on the anniversary, but a thing that was nevertheless better done than not. Hate to sound cryptic. It did occur to me at the time that maybe I was going to invoke some wrath, lets hope this isnt it.

Is the building made of concrete? My building is made of concrete and reinforced steel. The noise travels in the weirdest ways. As minor strangeness would have it there is someone in my building that has a terrible habit of rapping their fingernails on the wall. It is driving us crazy and we can't seem to figure out which apartment it is coming from. It sounds like the person in the apartment next to me and she thought it was me. It's like trying to live with a woodpecker right there in the room with you.

One time there was hammering going on all day. The phone rang and it was the person living below me asking if I could stop hammering for a little while because he really needed to take a nap. I thought it was him who was hammering. I took my cordless phone with him still on it and went floor to floor and found the culprit one floor above me on the opposite side of the building. There had been a fire in that apartment and they gutted it and had to renovate the entire apartment. Sound travels really weird/strange in a concrete building.

I live in a 15 story block flats that has concrete steel reinforced floors, walls, and ceilings. I can testify to the fact that when living in concrete buildings, trying to work out where the sound comes from is impossible.

On an odd note, and similar to the strange rapping noise, I keep hearing a bell ringing as in 'ting, ting' and then silence. Then a few minutes later 'ting, ting' and then silence. It's being going on for about maybe an hour or more. It sounds like it's in my flat. It's not loud but just there. I've checked everywhere. I stood out in the common ways and heard nothing, I asked a neighbour, a night owl, if he could hear it and nope. I've gone back in my flat and then 'ting, ting' a few minutes later and as I type this, I've heard it again.

Weird.

I live in a 15 story block flats that has concrete steel reinforced floors, walls, and ceilings. I can testify to the fact that when living in concrete buildings, trying to work out where the sound comes from is impossible.

On an odd note, and similar to the strange rapping noise, I keep hearing a bell ringing as in 'ting, ting' and then silence. Then a few minutes later 'ting, ting' and then silence. It's being going on for about maybe an hour or more. It sounds like it's in my flat. It's not loud but just there. I've checked everywhere. I stood out in the common ways and heard nothing, I asked a neighbour, a night owl, if he could hear it and nope. I've gone back in my flat and then 'ting, ting' a few minutes later and as I type this, I've heard it again.

Weird.

It could be as simple as someones microwave oven that someone has left something in. Mine waits 30 seconds and then beep, beep, to remind that what you were heating in there is ready. It will continue to go off every 30 seconds until you open the door.

This sound has a small bell type sound to it or perhaps like someone tapping a wine glass with a spoon. Sometimes the two 'tings' were one after the other and sometimes a few seconds apart. Sometime the interval was a few minutes and sometimes it was over 10 minutes.

It was a sound I've never heard in my flat before and it wasn't the washing machine or the fridge and I don't have a microwave. I checked each room and it seemed to be slightly louder in the hallway near the front door. It was still going when I went to bed at 2.30am but had stopped by the time I got up at 7.45am.

Later I'll ask the neighbours upstairs and downstairs. It was certainly intriguing.

Back