• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

We buried my mother yesterday after nearly seven weeks since she passed, first possible opportunity.
I will happily admit I have not quite been tea total since she died and I don’t know what happened to the water jug that has disappeared from next to the sink. But I have been plagued over the last few days by things moving very very quickly at the periphery of my vision. I spin expecting to see a fly or similar but there is nothing there.
I’m sure it is down to over indulgence and a complete lack of sleep in the run up to the funeral but I have never experienced this constant movement at the side of my vision.
Hopefully a couple of dry nights and some half decent sleeps will sort it out.
Sorry about your mother @Tempest63.

If the weirdness doesn't clear up, go see a professional, stress can fast foward all sorts of nasty stuff.

We buried my mother yesterday after nearly seven weeks since she passed, first possible opportunity.
I will happily admit I have not quite been tea total since she died and I don’t know what happened to the water jug that has disappeared from next to the sink. But I have been plagued over the last few days by things moving very very quickly at the periphery of my vision. I spin expecting to see a fly or similar but there is nothing there.
I’m sure it is down to over indulgence and a complete lack of sleep in the run up to the funeral but I have never experienced this constant movement at the side of my vision.
My mother died the week before last and her funeral is on June 1, so you have my condolences.

She always said she planned to live to 100 and then come back and haunt us, though her body gave out at 88. And though I don't tend to believe in such things...

...My father and I arrived at the care home she died in around 10 minutes too late (I'd like to have said goodbye but she wouldn't have known, and I'm not sure I could have coped with being there when she died). At about that time - within a minute or two - we were stuck in traffic and there was the sound of a slo-mo car on car collision.

About three cars behind us there had been a shunt, and I feel my mum was involved. It was very minor, nobody hurt. She would have approved! Don't ask...

Also around the same time I lost one of my four pairs of glasses (two readers, two distance). I looked everywhere, and then they were - about a week later - on our very small living room table in their case, large as life. Even I'm not that blind. That was genuinely strange.

I've also dreamt about her at least four times.

In the first dream she said she said she didn't want there to be a funeral. She had left her body to science but because she had dementia - which could be the result of CJD - the medical school wouldn't accept her, so she's being cremated.

And then I dreamt that she'd come upstairs and said "I'm sorry, love", and she never called me 'love'.

I'm also drinking more than usual, but that'll go down after the funeral.

My mother died the week before last and her funeral is on June 1, so you have my condolences.

She always said she planned to live to 100 and then come back and haunt us, though her body gave out at 88. And though I don't tend to believe in such things...

...My father and I arrived at the care home she died in around 10 minutes too late (I'd like to have said goodbye but she wouldn't have known, and I'm not sure I could have coped with being there when she died). At about that time - within a minute or two - we were stuck in traffic and there was the sound of a slo-mo car on car collision.

About three cars behind us there had been a shunt, and I feel my mum was involved. It was very minor, nobody hurt. She would have approved! Don't ask...

Also around the same time I lost one of my four pairs of glasses (two readers, two distance). I looked everywhere, and then they were - about a week later - on our very small living room table in their case, large as life. Even I'm not that blind. That was genuinely strange.

I've also dreamt about her at least four times.

In the first dream she said she said she didn't want there to be a funeral. She had left her body to science but because she had dementia - which could be the result of CJD - the medical school wouldn't accept her, so she's being cremated.

And then I dreamt that she'd come upstairs and said "I'm sorry, love", and she never called me 'love'.

I'm also drinking more than usual, but that'll go down after the funeral.
You have my condolence. Nearly seven weeks for a funeral was a long time for us and I feel sure you need that over to move on. In comparison we buried her yesterday in the same grave as my Dad. He died 1st May 1985 and we had the funeral 10 days later, now you have to wait nearly seven weeks.
My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care!

Sorry about your mother @Tempest63.

If the weirdness doesn't clear up, go see a professional, stress can fast foward all sorts of nasty stuff.
I feel sure it’s the tiredness caused by the weeks of waiting to have the funeral. My HR department have given me the week off for some R&R and after a few mornings solitude at the allotment I reckon I will get myself together.
Thank you for your kind words.

My mother died the week before last and her funeral is on June 1

Sincere condolences to you both - the passing of a parent (or anyone close) is always a rough time, look after yourselves.

And of course, continue to relate any potential Fortean Happenings, if/as and when you feel up to it.

I posted elsewhere that my wife hung a mirror at home taken from mums lounge and the next day a water jug that sits next to the kitchen sink had disappeared and still hasn’t re-apported. It was only used to carry water to the dogs bowl, no other purpose at all and now it’s gone.
I am very sceptical these days and am sure it has been misplaced but it the sort of mischievousness that mum would have got up to if she wanted to send a message.

Last edited:
Phil Smith on Facebook says >>> perish the thought that we should waste time on idle speculation

1652208962851.png

We know that it will happen...the death of our Mum, and we start to prepare ourselves, but, they leave such a hole in our lives when they do go, don't they...

My Mum let go of Her earthly attachment 10 years ago yesterday Coal, and Cycleboy2, and I still miss our Mum - some days, more so than others.

And yes, they do play tricks on us - of this I'm sure.

So shine on and allow yourselves some leeway...don't be too hard on your good selves.

We know that it will happen...the death of our Mum, and we start to prepare ourselves, but, they leave such a hole in our lives when they do go, don't they...

Indeed ... I've said for decades that the one major life event nobody seems to mention or prepare you for is the loss of parents. Regardless of the quality you attribute to your relationship with them - most particularly the mother - their final departure from your ongoing life causes unforeseen shock waves. I think much of it relates to the fact that, for better or worse, your parents (in most cases) represent a big part of the foundation to your own life. A "bad" parent can exert as much or more influence on who you are and how you live as a really "good" one. Once they're gone you're truly and irrevocably on your own.

A minor strangeness concerning my father's death many years ago.

We'd been to visit my parents with our baby son. Dad had gone into the loft and brought down a little trike which he'd had stashed away for years even though my son was still a little young for it. I'm glad he did as if he'd waited until he was it would have been too late.

My parents didn't have a phone so my Mum used to go to the village phone box for a quick call to make sure we'd got back alright. There was never time to say much as she'd put in the minimum coinage. (Oh how times have changed regarding phone usage!) This time however it was, for the first time, my dad who'd phoned. after the usual assurance we had quite a chat but I was puzzled as I hadn't heard dad put any more coins in. 'Well I'll be blowed, thas a rummun*, summats up with the phone I reckon', he said. He'd only put in the 10p and no pips had gone or anything it just wasn't cutting off. So we just carried on talking until there was nothing left to say. Reminiscing and what not.

Oh how lucky that it was my dad who'd made the call and that it was when the phone wasn't working as it should as 2 days later he'd died of a heart attack at only 57.

Nothing could soften that blow of course I was so devasted that he wasn't going to see his grandson grow up and take him fishing with the little rod (proper one not a toy) that he'd already got for him. He was so looking forward to it. However that long phone call did something to bring a bit of peace to my emotions there had been nothing left unsaid so no regrets on that score at least.

So divine providence or just a random event that was lucky? Who knows? I hope you'll understand that I prefer the former interpretation. :)

*'Thas a rummun' Norfolk for 'that's strange'

A minor strangeness concerning my father's death many years ago.

We'd been to visit my parents with our baby son. Dad had gone into the loft and brought down a little trike which he'd had stashed away for years even though my son was still a little young for it. I'm glad he did as if he'd waited until he was it would have been too late.

My parents didn't have a phone so my Mum used to go to the village phone box for a quick call to make sure we'd got back alright. There was never time to say much as she'd put in the minimum coinage. (Oh how times have changed regarding phone usage!) This time however it was, for the first time, my dad who'd phoned. after the usual assurance we had quite a chat but I was puzzled as I hadn't heard dad put any more coins in. 'Well I'll be blowed, thas a rummun*, summats up with the phone I reckon', he said. He'd only put in the 10p and no pips had gone or anything it just wasn't cutting off. So we just carried on talking until there was nothing left to say. Reminiscing and what not.

Oh how lucky that it was my dad who'd made the call and that it was when the phone wasn't working as it should as 2 days later he'd died of a heart attack at only 57.

Nothing could soften that blow of course I was so devasted that he wasn't going to see his grandson grow up and take him fishing with the little rod (proper one not a toy) that he'd already got for him. He was so looking forward to it. However that long phone call did something to bring a bit of peace to my emotions there had been nothing left unsaid so no regrets on that score at least.

So divine providence or just a random event that was lucky? Who knows? I hope you'll understand that I prefer the former interpretation. :)

*'Thas a rummun' Norfolk for 'that's strange'
I agree with you Sollywos - I'd think it divine providence too.

It provokes gobbets of hearsaid Shakespeare (such wisdom!), through my brain when hearing of Peculiarities such as your phone call.

A moment to treasure I'd imagine...

So the strangeness continues. Today my wife bought a replacement jug from Sainsbury, so laughing and joking I said aloud something on the line of “mum, you can keep the jug, we have a new one”.

A couple of hours later wifey opens a cupboard that we use everyday and, lo and behold, there is the missing jug. Could be we absentmindedly put the jug in the cupboard bit it was right at the back, where we rarely delve, and it had funnels in it we haven’t used in years.
EAD98221-1289-4002-896A-F300EE0AB0CD.jpeg

So this is the new jug from Sainsbury today

F75D073B-E1CB-4731-B5A0-456D3C69796C.jpeg

And this is the old one that disappeared and rematerialised today. Note the funnels inside that haven’t been used for some time.

I know I've posted this some time ago here, but it's so strange.
A friend of mine's father passed on, and there was a very large family gathering at their house after the funeral.
The wife had gone shopping that week prior and purchased an old-fashioned telephone for the house. It was still in the box, brand new, and in the bag - it had never been opened or removed from the bag.
Everyone was having dinner and reminiscing, when suddenly this telephone started ringing. Everyone froze and did not mention it. It finally stopped ringing and they went on with their get together. But this phone was not connected to anything.
My friend was stunned, and she is not the type who believes in anything paranormal. Could it be that the man who had passed on wanted to let them all know that he was there with them? I wonder what would have happened if they had opened that box and answered the phone.

I know I've posted this some time ago here, but it's so strange.
A friend of mine's father passed on, and there was a very large family gathering at their house after the funeral.
The wife had gone shopping that week prior and purchased an old-fashioned telephone for the house. It was still in the box, brand new, and in the bag - it had never been opened or removed from the bag.
Everyone was having dinner and reminiscing, when suddenly this telephone started ringing. Everyone froze and did not mention it. It finally stopped ringing and they went on with their get together. But this phone was not connected to anything.
My friend was stunned, and she is not the type who believes in anything paranormal. Could it be that the man who had passed on wanted to let them all know that he was there with them? I wonder what would have happened if they had opened that box and answered the phone.
Old-fashioned? One with a dial, or a battery-powered cordless from the analogue wireless days?

The type of phone you have to plug into the wall, a push-button.
This was in the nineties.
Tried to figure out a rational thing [I have one job... ;) ], might have had a battery in it I guess...some phones did for the electronics which still needed to work when the line had no power (in the olden days phone were powered from the line).

But still, odd.

My dad's favourite music was The Warsaw Concerto by Richard Addinsell.
Dad passed away in 1986. 9 years later I had to go for an operation. I was scared spitless. I got into my car after hearing the news. Guess what was on the radio?

In 2005 I'd reached the end of my tether with my wife. Guess what I heard on someone's radio? (Still together BTW).

Yesterday I found out I have to have another operation.
Guess what was playing on the radio?

I've heard it couple of times on other channels over the years but the timing freaks me out.

Last edited:
My friend who sometimes has odd things happen in her home has been plagued lately by someone walking down the corridor at night and even felt someone standing beside her bed. She had thought it was her husband as he's in another room because he had an operation.
He had heard it as well and thought it was her.
She has just been told that her friend who used to live next door had been in a coma and has passed away.
I wonder if the noises will cease for awhile?

Was it perhaps coiled into a shape that you weren't expecting or something? I get an idea of the shape or colour of the thing I am looking for, and if I imagine the screwdriver (for example) to be red, I am completely unable to see the ORANGE screwdriver in front of me. My inability to see a sink plunger if it is lying down on its side, is legendary.
My husband has the same condition. “IT’S NOT HERE!” he’ll bellow about something five inches in front of his nose.

I can’t recognise people if I see them out of context, though, and my encounter with Alistair from Escape to the Country still makes me cringe ten years later.

Was it perhaps coiled into a shape that you weren't expecting or something? I get an idea of the shape or colour of the thing I am looking for, and if I imagine the screwdriver (for example) to be red, I am completely unable to see the ORANGE screwdriver in front of me. My inability to see a sink plunger if it is lying down on its side, is legendary.
I get this, to the point where I make a conscious effort to picture the object I'm looking for. As it takes over 300ms for something to register and be recognised by the brain, I've also learned to slow down - if I'm scanning (say) my desk top for summat, I literally take a view, count 'one elephant' and then move on...

I haven't seen a sink plunger since 1934. Now I know why.

I haven't seen a sink plunger since 1934. Now I know why.
Strangely enough, I borrowed a sink plunger from my neighbour tonight. My kitchen sink was blocked and 6 inches or so deep in rancid water. It did the trick, eventually.

My first go shot out loads of stinking water through the over flow thing where the chain attaches for the plug. It didn't taste so good. My t shirt looked like death on Halloween or something from the series Supernatural. Gaffer tape to the rescue after drying off around the over flow.

Sink plungers always remind me of the Daleks.

Strangely enough, I borrowed a sink plunger from my neighbour tonight. My kitchen sink was blocked and 6 inches or so deep in rancid water. It did the trick, eventually.

My first go shot out loads of stinking water through the over flow thing where the chain attaches for the plug. It didn't taste so good. My t shirt looked like death on Halloween or something from the series Supernatural. Gaffer tape to the rescue after drying off around the over flow.

Sink plungers always remind me of the Daleks.
Oh no! - (Far safer easier to just unscrew the trap and empty into a bucket).

Back