• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Optical Illusions Thread

I don't see anything? :dunno:
Same here! I couldn't decide if it was something wrong with my eyes or if I was just being thick ... but I haven't a clue what they are on about! lol

Come on then @EnolaGaia - put us out of our misery.

I got as far (on my own) as concluding the illusion of multiple shapes was a result of the thickness and contours of the grid's cells' "walls".

Then I found an explanation that confirmed the direction I was headed.

Look at the initial static image and notice how the grid is casting shadows underneath its structure - insinuating the structure can't be sitting flat on the table-top. Also note that in this initial image some of the circular cells show slight 'corners' (not-quite-circular points) around their peripheries.

The grid's cells are differently shaped from one side to the other, and whether you see pure circular versus more linear cell shapes depends on both (a) which side you're seeing and (b) the exact angle at which you're seeing the grid.

The illusion is a combination of different shapes on different sides and a bit of forced perspective to accentuate the different impressions each side can give.

I got as far (on my own) as concluding the illusion of multiple shapes was a result of the thickness and contours of the grid's cells' "walls".

Look at the initial static image and notice how the grid is casting shadows underneath its structure - insinuating the structure can't be sitting flat on the table-top. Also note that in this initial image some of the circular cells show slight 'corners' (not-quite-circular points) around their peripheries.

The grid's cells are differently shaped from one side to the other, and whether you see pure circular versus more linear cell shapes depends on both (a) which side you're seeing and (b) the exact angle at which you're seeing the grid.

The illusion is a combination of different shapes on different sides and a bit of forced perspective to accentuate the different impressions each side can give.
Brilliant. Cheers.

That was the thought that I had, but didn't really have any idea of how to actually find the explanation. Thanks @EnolaGaia for doing all the research for those of us lazy people.

GrowingBlackHoleIllusion.jpg

Growing black hole illusion (found on Reddit)

EDIT "supposedly it works for 80% of people or so"

Last edited by a moderator:
I can make it change at will from my expeience of making patchwork quilts where these sort of optical illusions are a common design ploy. :)

Back