• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidence

BillyNoTalent

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Now I realise in the grand scheme of things this is something very small but it amazed and creeped me out a little bit so thought I would post it. Last week I decided to clean my windows on my house but could not get to the upper ones due to not having a big enough ladder. When my wife got home I explained the situation and she said we should keep our eye out for a window cleaner ( bearing in mind we have lived here for 4 years now and never seen or heard of any window cleaning services in our area).

So the very next day I got up and was about to leave for work when I noticed a leaflet pushed through my door, you guessed it from a window cleaner canvassing the area. It spooked me out a little how the universe always seems to throw up these tiny coincidences.

First of all "hello". We have a thread for coincidences somewhere and I'd like to add one [even though I might have done so already] but it really fits.
A few years ago, we desperately needed to get rid of our washing machine, we had no money and no car and no clue, when the very same day a leaflet came through the door offering to "take away washing machines for free".
I tell you that someone is watching ;)

In 2004 I accompanied my mother into the local town (Witney, Oxon). Whilst shopping we noticed a shop (placed slightly off the man street, it's still there) that sells and maintains sewing machines. My mum does a lot of costume making for the local amatuer dramatics society and needed an electric sewing machine, we wondered if we might get a used one on the cheap. So we went in but they didnt have any used ones so they took my mothers details and said they would call when one came in. When we got home there was a message on the answerphone. It said that they had recognised the surname, checked their database and found they have a repaired unit that my mother brought in in 1989 but never collected. They had lost the contact details and the sewing machine had remained in the workshop for 15 years. She went straight back and settled the repair bill...in 1980s prices and took the machine home!

Now that is just amazing.
They even charged 1980s prices, wow.

Mythopoeika said:
Now that is just amazing.
They even charged 1980s prices, wow.

As with all these things there's more to the tale than I've made out. As a family we moved to the area in 1989, my mother unpacked the sewing machine to find it had stopped working. When she handed the machine over to the shop it is likely she didn't know our home phone number (being only a few days new). Also, since the shop is kinda hidden off the high street it is highly unlikely she would have passed the shop and had her memory jogged.

As for them still charging 1980s prices, I was amazed! However, they also pointed out that the cost had been written off years ago and they couldn't be bothered to work out the inflation. Besides, my mother purchased a brand new machine off them and gave her old one (working!) to the amatuer dramatics group. so it all worked out for everyone in the end.

Had a lecture today on cardiac drugs, during which various nastiness in the coronary arteries were discussed which I find difficult to listen to in uni without feeling a bit faint, whereas in real life on the wards nothing bothers me. this evening I was saying this at home, and describing how whilst watching an angioplasty I'd been happy as Larry, and was describing looking at the clot etc, with no bother at all. All the while in the background an antiques programme was on (Antiques Road Trip), I happened to glance up at the screen while I was talking during a shot showing the people at an auction in the West Country , when the camera lingered on and went to close up on the face of the nurse who'd arranged for me to see the procedure I was discussing. No doubt that it was him, and we both live in Swansea miles from where the programme was being filmed.

Last Saturday I was at a large charity book sale. As I walked out I saw one of my work colleagues walking towards me so I waved at her. She didn't see me but continued to walk towards me. She was two foot away from me and the walked past. She had her hair tied back, not a krmal look for her but I have seen her do that. She was a bit taller than normal but when I had last seen her the day before she had been in heels which she is not normally, so a slightly taller version was not unexpected. I just reasoned she had been focussed on buying books and had not seen me.
Back at work on Monday and i questioned her about it and she said she had not been at the book sale. So a lookalike that had me convinved jt was her over the few seconds I saw her.
And now the coincidence part. I went to the library this morning and she was there as well! This was definitely the lookalike. She was taller and had longer hair but fhe resemblance was still amazing and the coincidence of seeing her almost immediately after the first encounter... and both book related locations.

My daughter and I usually go food shopping on Sundays but decided to go tomorrow as she has that day off.
My mobile sounded and it was my youngest saying she would pick us up at 11.30.
Then the eldest rang and said she had forgotten to tell us we were coming to a lunch for her husband's birthday which was last week.
So it was just as well we were at home.

My friend has a large tree in the front of her house and she wanted to get it trimmed.
She was looking out of the window and saw a work truck stop and a man came to the door.
It was a tradesman who had cut the tree a couple of years ago but they had lost his number.
Anyway he asked if they would like the tree trimmed again so he came the next day and trimmed it and mulched up the branches today.
She was really thrilled that the process was so quick.

Just been to Bude to see Tony Reas creations from the last Sewing Bee. This is the dress inspired by the surrealist painter Maigrat picture of a pipe.

listening to Radio on way back, tuned into a comedy show”please use other door “ to hear a sketch about a face painter upsetting a child by painting Maigrats pipe across her forehead.

this is the dress.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    952.7 KB · Views: 21
I told a work buddy that we have goose for Christmas dinner as neither me or the War Office are great turkey lovers. He lives in the midlands and looks after his aged Mother and informed me that in conversation with his mum last weekend he told her he was buying turkey as he is bored of Cockerel/Capon every Crimbo.
I replied that I had never known Capon to be an option at Christmas and that I wouldn’t know where to buy it locally as I had never seen it on sale.
Lo and behold I went into our “proper” butcher this morning and they had a whole display of Yorkshire raised capon for sale.

Coincidence or what?

Last edited:
I told a work buddy that we have goose for Christmas dinner as neither me or the War Office are great turkey lovers. He lives in the midlands and looks after his aged Mother and informed me that in conversation with his mum last weekend he told her he was buying turkey as he is bored of Cockerel/Capon every Crimbo.
I replied that I had never known Capon to be an option at Christmas and that I wouldn’t know where to but it locally as I had never seen it on sale.
Lo and behold I went into our “proper” butcher this morning and they had a whole display of Yorkshire raised capon for sale.

Coincidence or what?
I don't think I've ever had capon. It can't be that different to 'usual' chicken, can it? Or is the flavour subtly different?

I have never knowingly eaten Capon, but I am reliably informed that the male hormones can make red meat taste different from female red meat.
Don't know if that works for fowl.
We used to get a capon occasionally when I was a teenager but I honestly don't remember how it tasted!

Don't know if that works for fowl.

I understood that capon was surgically-adjusted so that it put on more weight.

Cats and castrati do the same.

Today's chickens have been bred to put on weight ultra-fast and I think they are all female.

It's interesting, therefore, to read that there is still a demand for the capon. Maybe it does taste different! :thought:

This seller describes the taste as "buttery." They are bigger than chickens and smaller than turkeys, by the look of it. Quite dear.

Last edited:
Coincidence is a strange thing. Sometimes it can even be compensatory....

About 6 months ago, a colleague (and friend) of mine was given medical retirement from work. A young 50-something cancer sufferer, who is doing really well (hooray!) despite initially-bad prognoses.

Anyway, about a week ago, the universe decided to smile upon him with a decent-little lottery win (c £10k GBP).

And two days ago, the universe decided it hadn't yet smiled upon him enough: so he's now won a brand-new £40k camper van.

Let's hope this miraculous pattern continues...

Coincidence is a strange thing. Sometimes it can even be compensatory....

About 6 months ago, a colleague (and friend) of mine was given medical retirement from work. A young 50-something cancer sufferer, who is doing really well (hooray!) despite initially-bad prognoses.

Anyway, about a week ago, the universe decided to smile upon him with a decent-little lottery win (c £10k GBP).

And two days ago, the universe decided it hadn't yet smiled upon him enough: so he's now won a brand-new £40k camper van.

Let's hope this miraculous pattern continues...
Knowing my luck, I'd be headed for a £50k bill, or fine for something.

Hmm, when Tim the tomcat went missing years ago and it looked grim I thought to myself 'Awww, if I had the choice of Tim coming back for Techy or us winning the Lottery, I'd want Tim.'
Little so-and-so strolled back home within hours. We're still broke. :chuckle:

Back