• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

The eye peeping out could be from someone behind the curtain. It seems to hang to ground level and we've no idea how much room there is behind it. Dunno about the leg though.
Take a closer look - that's a wall behind them, painted white on the top and dark on the bottom half. The bottom edging of this wall goes all the way around the back of the photo, it's a crooked wall with cracks in it.

The second photo circling the areas in question seems to have made the "face" more apparent as an eye and the close up appears less fuzzy. The second close up, I think is doctored.

Usually if I look at any of these photos, I can enlarge the original and see what the unusual image is. This one, with the original enlarged, I can definitely see the extra foot, but the face with a defined eye (as second photo seems to show) only shows up a still fuzzy whiter spot that could be anything. There is no defined eye to see that spot as a face. Even the man's suit sleeve still has the blurring undefined edges.

Take a closer look - that's a wall behind them, painted white on the top and dark on the bottom half. The bottom edging of this wall goes all the way around the back of the photo, it's a crooked wall with cracks in it.
Ah yes, I see what you mean. It's just that it looks like fabric to me immediately behind them. I can see the rest of the wall wrapping round the room, but I can still only see it as curtaining behind him!

Fault of my eyesight, not the photo.

But what a thing to wear to a wedding! LOL
To be fair, outfits for winter weddings are a nightmare! You either wrap up warmly so you don't freeze in the church or hall or wherever and look like a badly wrapped parcel, or you wear something lovely and smart and shiver during the entire proceedings.

I will go for 'warm', every time.

To be fair, outfits for winter weddings are a nightmare! You either wrap up warmly so you don't freeze in the church or hall or wherever and look like a badly wrapped parcel, or you wear something lovely and smart and shiver during the entire proceedings.

I will go for 'warm', every time.
She should have put a bow on top! LOL

Oh one of my favorite photos!
Looking at the close proximity of the shoes behind the man in the black suit, he would have known if someone was there - and just my opinion that with the angle of this boy's eye peering out, his body would be sticking out the other side. Also, his legs appear to be straight, he is not even bending, an impossible position for his head to be in.
A creepy photo!

Could be a child. Children are not an uncommon sight in marriage ceremonies. They're sometimes playful, sometimes shy. Both could lead one to hide behind his parents. The size of a child could fit behind the giant man on the left without too much contorsions.

Anyway, if any contorsion is required, I know of a posture in Chinese martial arts which would allow an adult sized person to hide behind someone else without bending. It is called the "Yuhuan Bu", which means "the jade circle stance" (ah ! Chinese poetry !) : you advance with a left or right step, your front foot bent at about 45 to 90° towards the side (that is : your front foot doesn't point straight forward, it points towards the side). Your front leg squats with a 90° angle, which lowers your whole body down. The other foot remains in place (but usually, only the toes touch the ground. So basically, you keep facing straight ahead, while it seems your front foot looks to the right or left side. It is a very stable position, allowing your torso to bend ont either side, without requiring to make your butt protrude in any direction.

I do not imply that the guy hidden here is a martial artist, only that it is technically possible to hide behind the black clad man without letting one's buttocks protrude. For me, what we have here is a child, and certainly not a ghost.

By the way, if you look at the picture, you can see that the man on the left doesn't look towards the photographer. He looks downwards toward the right of the picture. So he was either looking at the eskimo-style lady (thinking at how pretty she was, perhaps), or at the little boy playing "hide and seek". In any case, he doesn't seem very frightened. If he had seen a lurking demon, I doubt he would display such a ravished look. :)

Could be a child. Children are not an uncommon sight in marriage ceremonies. They're sometimes playful, sometimes shy. Both could lead one to hide behind his parents. The size of a child could fit behind the giant man on the left without too much contorsions.

Anyway, if any contorsion is required, I know of a posture in Chinese martial arts which would allow an adult sized person to hide behind someone else without bending. It is called the "Yuhuan Bu", which means "the jade circle stance" (ah ! Chinese poetry !) : you advance with a left or right step, your front foot bent at about 45 to 90° towards the side (that is : your front foot doesn't point straight forward, it points towards the side). Your front leg squats with a 90° angle, which lowers your whole body down. The other foot remains in place (but usually, only the toes touch the ground. So basically, you keep facing straight ahead, while it seems your front foot looks to the right or left side. It is a very stable position, allowing your torso to bend ont either side, without requiring to make your butt protrude in any direction.

I do not imply that the guy hidden here is a martial artist, only that it is technically possible to hide behind the black clad man without letting one's buttocks protrude. For me, what we have here is a child, and certainly not a ghost.

By the way, if you look at the picture, you can see that the man on the left doesn't look towards the photographer. He looks downwards toward the right of the picture. So he was either looking at the eskimo-style lady (thinking at how pretty she was, perhaps), or at the little boy playing "hide and seek". In any case, he doesn't seem very frightened. If he had seen a lurking demon, I doubt he would display such a ravished look. :)
I too think it is a child - however, looking at the shoe size, it probably is not a very young child, which is why I was expecting to see a part of his body bending over the other side of this man.
I remember looking at this photo many times, and supposedly the photographer said that there was no one else in the photo, just these 4 adults, so that was part of the story also.
But perhaps it was just an unnoticed mischievous boy, who ran off the second the photo was taken.
I remember jumping when I saw the 'eye', very creepy.

I too think it is a child - however, looking at the shoe size, it probably is not a very young child, which is why I was expecting to see a part of his body bending over the other side of this man.
I remember looking at this photo many times, and supposedly the photographer said that there was no one else in the photo, just these 4 adults, so that was part of the story also.
But perhaps it was just an unnoticed mischievous boy, who ran off the second the photo was taken.
But how many photographs have we had on here in various places where the photographer has sworn there was 'no one else in the picture'? Cumberland Spacemum, anyone?

When you are focussing tightly on a specific group, it's very hard to see anything going on outside your viewfinder.

Well, we cannot really fathom the shoe size, as the tip of the shoe we see on the left might not correspond to the back of the shoe we see on the right. What I mean is that what we see on the right could be the tip of the child's right foot, while what we see on the left would be the back of his left shoe. Of course, in that case, it means that he stood rather straight, with both feet close to each other.

Well, we cannot really fathom the shoe size, as the tip of the shoe we see on the left might not correspond to the back of the shoe we see on the right. What I mean is that what we see on the right could be the tip of the child's right foot, while what we see on the left would be the back of his left shoe. Of course, in that case, it means that he stood rather straight, with both feet close to each other.
Yes, which would also mean some part of him should be visible on the other side of this man?
The angle looks odd to me.

Yes, which would also mean some part of him should be visible on the other side of this man?
The angle looks odd to me.

On the contrary ! If there are two different feets on the picture, it makes it easier to think of a smaller kid, who could fit more easily behind the man in a black suit.

And if there is only one, larger foot, well, the kind of stance I suggested previously could explain what we see. I will try to find an illustration of the stance on the web, because I admit it is difficult to get it just through a verbal description.

*** edit ***

Here is an illustration of the "jade circle stance" I was referring to : if you were standing straight in front of this man, you would only see his left foot pointing toward the side, even though he's actually facing you. Behind another person, he would appear bizarrely low lying.

index.jpg

source : http://www.kungfuparis.com/Académie-France-Wu-Tang

Last edited:
Not being aware of something in plain sight is a recognized thing. It's called inattentional blindness.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/apr01/blindness

Just as people intuitively believe that seeing is a matter only of opening one's eyes, cognitive scientists also once assumed that visual perception is like a videotape--that the mind records what the eyes take in. But increasingly, studies of visual perception have demonstrated how startlingly little people see when we're not paying attention, a phenomenon known as "inattentional blindness.

It may well be the reason the photographer of the Solway spaceman didn't notice the mother in the background, if that is really who it was.

It may well be the reason the photographer of the Solway spaceman didn't notice the mother in the background, if that is really who it was.
That Solway spaceman photo was so intriguing - but once it came out on the internet that it was the mother, it was so obvious, and I couldn't see anything else but the mother.

That Solway spaceman photo was so intriguing - but once it came out on the internet that it was the mother, it was so obvious, and I couldn't see anything else but the mother.
And yet the dad said that there was nobody else around when he took that picture of his daughter, but his wife and other daughter were on site and it would have been the easiest thing in the world for them to have come into frame. But he just didn't see them. Because of the 'inattention blindness.'

And yet the dad said that there was nobody else around when he took that picture of his daughter, but his wife and other daughter were on site and it would have been the easiest thing in the world for them to have come into frame. But he just didn't see them. Because of the 'inattention blindness.'
Yes he did say that - and I remember the camera he used was a very 'narrow' type of lens that he was looking through, and the mother was uphill on an embankment, so all the more he just didn't see her in his viewfinder.
Which made the 'spaceman' all the more strange, as if he was up in the air, when all the time she was standing uphill.
Great photo though!

Yes he did say that - and I remember the camera he used was a very 'narrow' type of lens that he was looking through, and the mother was uphill on an embankment, so all the more he just didn't see her in his viewfinder.
Which made the 'spaceman' all the more strange, as if he was up in the air, when all the time she was standing uphill.
Great photo though!
If nothing else, that entire thread taught me to carefully check the background of any Zoom calls or photos I was just snapping quickly. I was recently filmed for a Podcast and I'd carefully 'groomed' the background to look scholarly and bookish, with especial reference to the back room, which I always think is out of shot and off to an angle. However, whenever I take a picture, that back room (which is where my laundry airer hangs) is very much IN shot, as are my damp trousers and two large bras.

If nothing else, that entire thread taught me to carefully check the background of any Zoom calls or photos I was just snapping quickly. I was recently filmed for a Podcast and I'd carefully 'groomed' the background to look scholarly and bookish, with especial reference to the back room, which I always think is out of shot and off to an angle. However, whenever I take a picture, that back room (which is where my laundry airer hangs) is very much IN shot, as are my damp trousers and two large bras.
What - no bloomers?? LOL

We've all seen dads open a kitchen cupboard and start demanding "Where's the beans?!" only to have it pointed out to them the beans are right in front of them on the shelf.

We've all seen dads open a kitchen cupboard and start demanding "Where's the beans?!" only to have it pointed out to them the beans are right in front of them on the shelf.
I find, as a Dad, that there IS a partial blindness inherent with being a Dad. This is called a 'Daddy Look'.

It involves the fact that our eyebrows and cheekbones prevent us from seeing that which is above, or below those anatomical landmarks, and as such, this underlying and subconcious infliction prevents us also...from raising or lowering our heads.

This ailment causes me great anguish, as I live alone. The effect from this anatomical singularity prevents me from seeing if my floors need sweeping, or my filing cabinets need dusting.

Strangely enough...it allows me to check the fridge to see if I need more beer though...and rum.

I find, as a Dad, that there IS a partial blindness inherent with being a Dad. This is called a 'Daddy Look'.

It involves the fact that our eyebrows and cheekbones prevent us from seeing that which is above, or below those anatomical landmarks, and as such, this underlying and subconcious infliction prevents us also...from raising or lowering our heads.

This ailment causes me great anguish, as I live alone. The effect from this anatomical singularity prevents me from seeing if my floors need sweeping, or my filing cabinets need dusting.

Strangely enough...it allows me to check the fridge to see if I need more beer though...and rum.
:rollingw:

It's the same for women though. My boobs get in the way of me knowing whether I need to hoover or clean the floor, so I decide that the answer is usually 'no'.

The internet is abuzz with (well, a few people have mentioned) a "ghost" appearing in the background of James May's "Our Man in Italy" programme on Amazon Prime.
It is quite an odd effect, whatever it is.

https://www.indy100.com/tv/james-may-ghost-documentary-amazon
Following long tradition, it's so really out of focus it's hard to tell. If I look closely I see two moving figures, one walking away from the camera. Bright sunlight, focus pulled to near the camera - I'm waiting for someone with video editing experience to speak on it.

Back