• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I would love to read more about this, if it is not too painful for you. In retrospect, I think that some very difficult situations I was in were opportunities to experience peeks into the spirit world (I know this sounds batshit, but still....), especially when people I loved were dying. It is the most reasonable explanation that accounts for the actual experiences.
It's not that it's too painful, telling the story doesn't bring on the rawness of the emotions. It's when they catch you unawares, obviously something in my surroundings has made a neural pathway light up and I'll be right back there. It passes fairly quickly though. I'm pretty sure that's the same for everybody whose been through a bad time but otherwise are coping fine.

I know what you mean about sounding batshit but that is what it feels like, a peek through the curtain. The coincidences were pretty powerful to me but I can see other people reading about them may think I'm making something out of nothing, a dash of wishful thinking or something.

Anyway the reason I'd not finished the account is because I'd not got around to it/keep forgetting but now I know someone is interested it might spur me on. :)

108, she remembers the Spanish flu and the Black and Tans.

Sitting by her collection of centenarian bounty awards and photographs of some of her happiest memories, Máirín Hughes, who will become one of Ireland’s oldest women this weekend, says she is looking forward to her birthday celebrations.

Her long life began on May 22nd, 1914, just two months before the beginning of the first World War. This Sunday, she will turn 108-years-old.

Born in Belfast, she spent her early years in Dublin where her father worked as a customs officer. Her parents met in London some years before and were both members of the Gaelic League. The family soon moved to Killarney in Co Kerry where she grew up.

Living in a nursing home throughout the Covid-19 crisis was not her first experience of surviving a pandemic. Vividly recalling the Spanish Flu in Ireland in 1918, she says her mother “used to look after people” who became ill in the neighbourhood at the time.

“She used to go over to an elderly couple and I would go with her to help carry food and things for them but I was made to stay outside the gate to avoid getting the flu,” she says.

Other standout memories of her years in Killarney include the Black and Tans patrolling her area in 1921. She can remember them “driving around the road” and soon after, the Free State soldiers arriving in 1922.

In the early 1930s, Hughes moved to Cork to study science in University College Cork, something which she acknowledges was “unusual” for women at the time, though she notes, “I wasn’t the first”.

She graduated with a BSc in 1935 and is UCC’s oldest known science graduate. She went on to work as a chemist in UCC’s medical laboratory for 16 years, observing first-hand the changes and advances in medicine at the time, and occasionally lecturing.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...the-state-celebrates-108th-birthday-1.4884164

Go Granny, Go!

A 103-year-old Swedish woman yesterday set the world record for the oldest person to complete a tandem parachute jump, saying she planned to celebrate "with a little cake".

"It was wonderful to do this, I've been thinking about it for a long time," Rut Larsson told Swedish news agency TT, adding: "It all went as planned."

With family and friends waiting on the airfield below, Ms Larsson completed her jump harnessed to parachutist Joackim Johansson in Motala, 240 kilometres southwest of Stockholm.

The pair sailed down to the ground smoothly, as helpers rushed to Larsson's side with her walker to help her get up.

Asked what she saw and felt as she came down, Ms Larsson replied: "Nowadays I don't see so well, but it felt good".

She said she liked "that you slowly glide down from above, I think it feels nice."

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2022/0530/1301928-parachute-jump/

The Japanese man who was the first to cross the Pacific non-stop and alone (1962; age 23) has just repeated the feat 60 years later at age 83.
Japanese man, 83, becomes oldest person to sail solo non-stop across Pacific

Before he set off, Kenichi Horie said his only fear about sailing solo non-stop across the Pacific Ocean was his age. ...

After more than two months at sea, the record-breaking octogenarian, who in 1962 also became the first person to successfully take on the feat, arrived in the waters off the Kii peninsula in western Japan at 2.39am local time.

Having crossed the world’s largest body of water, he had an inspiring message for the world. “Don’t let your dreams just stay as dreams,” he told CNN over satellite phone ...

He left San Francisco, California, in the Suntory Mermaid III, his 990kg 19ft-long pale aluminium vessel, customised to fit his 5ft build, on 27 March. Some parts of the voyage were challenging, he said, and he called his family at least once a day to ensure they didn’t worry.

Horie, who made no port calls, was spotted off Hawaii’s O‘ahu island on 16 April. ...

Horie has travelled across the Pacific in multiple vessels, including ones made from aluminium cans, beer kegs and whiskey barrels and powered by solar panels and foot pedals. He does not physically train for his adventures. “I’m always fine, always in shape … No overeating, no over-drinking,” he told the San Francisco Chronicle before departing on his latest voyage.

Asked whether he had any concerns about his trip, he said: “Nothing at all. Maybe just being old.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...dest-person-sail-solo-non-stop-across-pacific

At 62 I'm not too old to return to the mosh pit!

A 67-year-old man whose crowd-surfing antics halted a concert by The Killers has said he is "feeling fine" despite "a few aches".

Frontman Brandon Flowers leapt off the stage to check on Doug James when he fell and cut his head during Saturday's Old Trafford cricket ground gig. Mr James, of Sale, Greater Manchester, described the lead singer as "a lovely gentleman" after he rushed to help him.

The band tweeted: "There's no age limit for rock 'n roll."

Mr James, a retired marine and service engineer, said he was shocked at the reaction to his crowd-surfing after he fell near the stage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-61783869

So what do you use to control old age pain, acetaminophen, recreational drugs, acupuncture, or chiropractor ?

It seems acetaminophen works for me.

Opening and cleaning an old, electric hair-clipper, I waxed nostalgic about the time when my locks did not, so fully, live down to my surname.

Such lovely dark brown hair, gumming up the works - only ten or twelve years ago!

Then I remembered it was Clairol No.79*. I had been in denial at that date.

*Yup, it was lady-dye. The men's stuff thickens the hair and gives you the Ronald Regan look! Someone should have told my dad! :evillaugh:

Last edited:
So what do you use to control old age pain, acetaminophen, recreational drugs, acupuncture, or chiropractor ?

Massage, yoga (slow and measured, not the hot yoga that was in a couple of years ago). Acetaminophen does nothing for me. I do have script for meloxicam that I use probably once or twice a month when my shoulders are bothering me. Most OTC pain medications do little for me and never have. I’m also pretty sure that I have a fairly high pain tolerance which helps.

Couldn't find a thread that screamed family history, so here I am. Mods, please move to the right place (if there is one).

Having resubsribed to Ancestery, I have discovered that my dad was an only child whose mother died when he was three. His dad then (a few years later) married another woman, far younger than himself, whom my dad seems to have accepted as his mum - one of my names is her's, not his actual mum's.

That made me so sad for my beautiful dad: maybe he didn't remember his birth mother? Maybe there was a difference between how he was treated and how his step-siplings were? (He gave me one his step-mum's names, but I also know how the will panned out.) I was his only child: he adopted me. I know how much he loved me. I wonder if he felt some urge, some sympathy with an unwanted and lost child that made him take me on: an act of exceptional kindness that I will always be grateful for.

I love my dad (though sadly he's long passed, and terribly missed). I absolutely didn't know I could love him more than I already did.

I don't have "old age pain" but I am only 66. I use asprin for most pain, sometimes aceteminophen. Exercise works for me for stiff muscles.

Go Granny Go!

Haryana: The 105-year-old 'Bolt granny' breaking running records in India

Rambai is 105 years old and she is giving serious fitness goals to people around her. She started her sprinting career in the north Indian state of Haryana just a year ago, but has already won several medals in local competitions.

She competes in her age category - and sometimes, she is the only runner in the fray. But for her, taking part in these competitions is more important than winning.

Her family wants her to take it easy, but Rambai says that's not happening anytime soon.

Video by BBC Punjabi's Sat Singh

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-india-62091090

Living on a retirement income, the inflation rate in the U.S. is over 9% which hurts.

The average American is spending about $350.00 more a month for the same “ stuff” than a year ago.

Then there is “ shrinkflation were food package sizes have been reduced but cost more money.

There is nothing “ golden” in the “ golden years of growing older.

As an example the Kleenex box count has gone from 160 to 140 and now to 120 sheets for the same money.

The virus is being used as an excuse for simply everything, from lack of manners to lack of supplies.
How long can they possibly push that.
Fortunately or unfortunately, we are a social species.

The lockdowns and mandatory isolations and no school for children is showing the damage no social contact has on humans.

I felt bad for those children aged 3 and under when all people had masks. You wouldn't be able to learn facial cues nor smiling from anyone other than your very immediate family. The anxiety and fear in early days was very palpable and even now there is still fear and anxiety. When you are developing your place in society, these non verbal cues and understanding of them are crucial.

People are still reacting from a fear base. I imagine that it will take years for this damage to be undone.

My wife and I every now and then start thinking that we have to call our mothers on the phone to check up on them.

But both sets of parents have passed on many years now.

My wife at times have said she wished she had her mother’s opinion.

I wonder if this is a sign of old age ?

My wife and I every now and then start thinking that we have to call our mothers on the phone to check up on them.
But both sets of parents have passed on many years now.
My wife at times have said she wished she had her mother’s opinion.
I wonder if this is a sign of old age ?

Thinking of those who were important to you isn't a sign of old age. Forgetting they've already passed on may be, though ...

The same thing happens to me whenever I'm 'way out on a random train of thought and casually tell myself I ought to ask X about it, only to immediately realize X isn't with us any more.

Blimey! .. my Grandma Eileen Swifty's 103 tomorrow (picture of her this morning .. she's deaf as a post now though :))

agrandma103.jpg

Still going strong at 103.

Irish Air Corps honours 103-year-old WWII veteran​

Updated / Friday, 22 Jul 2022 21:46

John 'Paddy' Hemingway, the last known Battle of France and Battle of Britain Pilot (Pic: RollingNews.ie)

John 'Paddy' Hemingway, the last known Battle of France and Battle of Britain Pilot (Pic: RollingNews.ie)
By Joan O'Sullivan

The Irish Air Corps celebrated a special centenary Veterans Day today with a fly-past by RAF aircraft and the Air Corps over Dublin.

Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, a 103-year-old veteran who flew for the RAF during World War II, was also honoured at the event.

He is the last known Battle of France and Battle of Britain pilot.

The two veteran RAF aircraft - a Lancaster bomber and a Hurricane fighter aircraft - made a 'Battle of Britain memorial flight' over the Irish Sea

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0722/1311755-irish-air-corps/

Still going strong at 103.

Irish Air Corps honours 103-year-old WWII veteran​

Updated / Friday, 22 Jul 2022 21:46

John 'Paddy' Hemingway, the last known Battle of France and Battle of Britain Pilot (Pic: RollingNews.ie)'Paddy' Hemingway, the last known Battle of France and Battle of Britain Pilot (Pic: RollingNews.ie)

By Joan O'Sullivan

The Irish Air Corps celebrated a special centenary Veterans Day today with a fly-past by RAF aircraft and the Air Corps over Dublin.

Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, a 103-year-old veteran who flew for the RAF during World War II, was also honoured at the event.

He is the last known Battle of France and Battle of Britain pilot.

The two veteran RAF aircraft - a Lancaster bomber and a Hurricane fighter aircraft - made a 'Battle of Britain memorial flight' over the Irish Sea

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0722/1311755-irish-air-corps/

More:

During the Battle of Dunkirk, he flew supporting missions over the Channel, before flying Hurricanes in daily sorties during the Battle of Britain throughout the summer of 1940.

In August 1940, he was forced to bail out over the Thames Estuary when his plane was damaged. He was shot down again over Eastchurch in Kent just a week later.

Squadron Leader Mark Sugden (Hurricane Pilot) speaking with Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway shortly after landing

Image:Squadron Leader Mark Sugden speaks with Group Captain Hemingway after landing
'Today we are both proud Irishmen'

On 1 July 1941 Hemmingway was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC).

He went on to be part of the planning for D-Day before flying Spitfires in Italy.

The veteran airman celebrated his 103rd birthday last Sunday, and lives in a Dublin nursing home.

"Today we are both proud Irishmen", said General Officer Commanding of the Irish Air Corps Brigadier General Rory O'Connor.

"Seeing the iconic and historic Lancaster and Hurricane flying in Irish skies was very special.

"The arrival of the aircraft serves as a reminder that the Irish Air Corps flew Hurricanes during the Emergency [as WWII was officially known in Ireland].

"I was honoured to host Group Captain Hemingway and be there when he was reunited with his World War II aircraft type."

(L-R) Air Marshal Sean Reynolds,  Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, Lieutenant General Seán Clancy, Brigadier General Rory O'Connor, Air Marshal Sir Rich Knighton

Image:(L-R) Air Marshal Sean Reynolds, Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, Lieutenant General Seán Clancy, Brigadier General Rory O'Connor, Air Marshal Sir Rich Knighton
It was the first visit to Ireland by the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

The aircraft will take part in the Bray Air Display in Co Wicklow over the weekend.

https://news.sky.com/story/last-sur...xt=Born in Dublin in 1919,and a Dornier Do 17.

Go Granny Go! Vid at link.

Woman races Ferrari at Silverstone as 100th birthday approaches

A 99-year-old woman clocked 130mph (209km/h) in a sports car as she carried out a long-held dream of racing at Silverstone.

Manette Baillie, from Benhall Green in Suffolk, said it was "very thrilling" to get behind the wheel of a Ferrari with an instructor at the Northamptonshire circuit.

The event was organised by friends to mark her 100th birthday on 21 August and she raised more than £2,000 to refurbish a village hall.

She said: "I like speed. I liked fast skiing and horses. I managed 130. I'll have to go again, see if I can beat that."

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-northamptonshire-62309918

Back