• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Bit of a tenuous link to Fortean themes but some of the true folk songs are very fortean in the storys they tell (Long Lankin, 700 elves, Alison Gross etc).

This new box set sounds absolutely magnificent (remastered recordings all), and ends with a couple of rare live shows.

Steeleye Span - Good Times Of Old England: Steeleye Span 1972-1983 is a 12cd collection/

"The Ghost Of Flight 401" was released in 1979 on Bob Welch's Three Hearts album. I'd been a huge fan of Bob's first album, French Kiss, and was very excited when he finally released his second solo album in the winter of 1979. I thought the album was outstanding and this track was always one of my favorites on it. I just think it's an incredibly unusual and moody effort....the lyrics and vocals are just wonderful. The song, of course tells the story of Eastern Air Lines Flight 401, which was a Lockheed L-1011 Tristar 1 jet that crashed into the Florida Everglades on the night of December 29, 1972, causing 101 fatalities (77 initial crash survivors, two died shortly afterward). The crash was a result of the flight crew's failure to recognize a deactivation of the autopilot during their attempt to troubleshoot a malfunction of the landing gear position indicator system. As a result, the flight gradually lost altitude and eventually crashed, while the flight crew was preoccupied with solving that problem. It was the first crash of a wide-body aircraft and at the time, the deadliest in the United States. I don't think I've ever flown at night on a passenger airline and looked out the window that this melody hasn't crossed my mind.....those times of course I wish I'd never heard it!

I'm doing my own little project and researching every UK Top 50/75/100 Chart hit from 1976-1984 and the bonus is that the single gets a Top of a Pops performance by the band/singer to a video or Legs and Co and I have put it in sections with-
Punk/New Wave
Synth
Reggae
Rock
MOR/Pop
Soul/Disco
UK Soul
Rockin (meaning the Rock'n'Roll Revival cum Rockabilly cum Psychobily.

Why I'm I doing it ?, well it goes back to a childhood of sitting with the family watching TOTP on a Thursday and then listening to the Countdown on a Sunday night and I remember being a lot of different styles of Music as above but also lots of different scenes like
Teds
Punks
Hippies
Bikers
Rock fans and Metal Heads
Skinheads
Mods and Scooter Boys
Rockabilly and later Psychobilly
Northern Soul
Southern Soul Jazz Funk
Ska
New Romantic
Post Punk
Anarcho Punk
Goth etc

When I finish then going to research if it's possible the charts of Indie, Rock, Soul/Disco and Reggae but going post a tune from a year and some top 30 hits that never get the airplay's and some hidden gems.

BTW There was a lot of boring same safe US Soul stuff and Ballads and forgot to say going to the John Peel Sessions from this era as well.

Coil were a group that covered a lot of Fortean areas. They were even interviewed in Fortean Times.

Talking about Bryan Ferry I was doing the whole Roxy Music albums and then Bryan Ferry's solo stuff and it struck me how out there and brilliant Roxy Music was but as the same time they started in the early 1970's Bryan Ferry also released his own stuff which a lot were covers versions a lot of his albums was just bland, I bit like Rod Stewart and The Faces could rock it yet Rod's solo stuff the same time period seemed commercial but plain.

I do prefer The Saints...in preference to t'other...and...to quote 'The Little Aussie Bleeder' !!GAAN THE MIGHTY BLUES!!!
One of the first performance's of a Punk or New Wave band on Top of The Pops and they were Australian not English/UK and even The Ramones never did TOTP's :)

One of the first performance's of a Punk or New Wave band on Top of The Pops and they were Australian not English/UK and even The Ramones never did TOTP's :)
It was great coverage Sabresonic -Top of the Pops - but I was very surprised to see them do it, knowing the Punk creed and ethos. I think that Mr Kuepper showed his disdain perfectly in that short fillum.

It was great coverage Sabresonic -Top of the Pops - but I was very surprised to see them do it, knowing the Punk creed and ethos. I think that Mr Kuepper showed his disdain perfectly in that short fillum.
I remember from being 5 in 1976 to around 1984 loving Top of The Pops as it was a family tradition and liked of all the new sounds and looks that was on it be it Punk, New Wave, Synth Pop,Reggae and great one hit wonders etc and you would get bands which would have up to 8 members in it alongside a brass section or a Saxophone appearing.So thats why I'm doing a little bit of my own project checking out the good stuff on TOTP and then be the Old Grey Whistle test, John Peel Sessions etc.

Back