• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monkeypox / Monkey Pox

Hawaii Health puzzled as they thought the one monkey pox case at a military hospital in Honolulu was contained.

Now 2 more cases have been reported in the general public in Honolulu.

Doctors realize that the virus now seems to be in the community.

Hawaii Health puzzled as they thought the one monkey pox case at a military hospital in Honolulu was contained.

Now 2 more cases have been reported in the general public in Honolulu.

Doctors realize that the virus now seems to be in the community.

250px-Itchy%26Scratchy.jpg

maximus otter

For once, I thank the stars for the fact that nobody wants to have sex with me at the moment! :D
Maybe we'll have pandemic after pandemic, and the last people left alive on Earth will be curmudgeonly old loners like me!

Renaming Monkeypox.

Public health and scientific organizations are considering renaming monkeypox after African scientists and others argued the current name of the virus is stigmatizing and is hampering the response to the current outbreak of the illness.

The World Health Organization (WHO) is evaluating a formal name change for monkeypox, a spokesperson told Bloomberg on Monday. There have been nearly 1,300 confirmed cases of monkeypox, a virus typically seen in Central and West Africa, in over two dozen countries. As the U.S. and Europe have seen rare cases of the virus, scientists are calling for a change in how the virus is labeled.

A group of scientists, many based in Africa, on Friday issued a position paper calling for a "neutral" classification that recognizes "spillover" in northern countries that minimizes unnecessary negative impacts on nations, geographic regions, economies and people.

https://www.newsweek.com/stigma-racism-fuel-need-rename-monkeypox-virus-health-experts-1715467

Renaming Monkeypox.

Public health and scientific organizations are considering renaming monkeypox after African scientists and others argued the current name of the virus is stigmatizing and is hampering the response to the current outbreak of the illness.

The World Health Organization (WHO) is evaluating a formal name change for monkeypox, a spokesperson told Bloomberg on Monday. There have been nearly 1,300 confirmed cases of monkeypox, a virus typically seen in Central and West Africa, in over two dozen countries. As the U.S. and Europe have seen rare cases of the virus, scientists are calling for a change in how the virus is labeled.

A group of scientists, many based in Africa, on Friday issued a position paper calling for a "neutral" classification that recognizes "spillover" in northern countries that minimizes unnecessary negative impacts on nations, geographic regions, economies and people.

https://www.newsweek.com/stigma-racism-fuel-need-rename-monkeypox-virus-health-experts-1715467

Yeah, that’s the crucial issue.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Renaming Monkeypox.

Considering that rodents can carry it as well, which may become the vector in North American it would probably be more accurate to rename it. I can't understand why diseases are not called by their scientific names in media. They have them. People can understand it when the name is used. Let's increase everyone's vocabulary:curt:

Ah, I think I misunderstood the story the first time I read it. I was struggling to understand how renaming it after African scientists would help destigmatise it..
It should be renamed to 'The African Scientist's Disease'. A disease that mainly afflicts African scientists.

The American CDC has issued a warning to sexual partners.

If there is any question of monkey pox in a sexual situation, keep socially 6 feet apart and mastrubate together without touching each other.

The American CDC has issued a warning to sexual partners.

If there is any question of monkey pox in a sexual situation, keep socially 6 feet apart and mastrubate together without touching each other.
The underlying message is 'do not breed'!

Outside of Africa, England has the highest number of monkey pox.

On Friday another 50 cases of monkey pox was found in England bring the total to 574.

As monkeypox cases near 800 In England, the UK health service is asking gay men to come in for a vaccination.

Reuters news agency reports that the World Health Organization is indecisive about called monkey pox an international health emergency.

The news agency also reports African doctors are angry at the WHO for their lack of support in past years with the monkey pox when they really needed help.

Given that the world has just been through two and half years of extremely liberty-curtailing anti-viral distancing etc., I fail to see why the 'How Do I Protect Myself?' section of that article doesn't state clearly: stop having sexual intercourse with those likely to be promiscuous.

Instead we have the statement that it is a "delicate balance between achieving freedom of choice and freedom of infection".

Freedom of infection??

Given that the world has just been through two and half years of extremely liberty-curtailing anti-viral distancing etc., I fail to see why the 'How Do I Protect Myself?' section of that article doesn't state clearly: stop having sexual intercourse with those likely to be promiscuous.

Instead we have the statement that it is a "delicate balance between achieving freedom of choice and freedom of infection".

Freedom of infection??

Yithian - I suspect nobody wants to be accused of insensitivity to promiscuous gay men.

Stepping out on the politically correct ice here, but compared to heterosexuals, non-heterosexual adults have very different patterns of both number of partners and types of sex, both of which expose the participants to disease. If monkeypox is caught during sexual activity, it is still spread.

Dozens of well-researched and well-written articles about these differences in north Americal and Europe. Sobering reading.

(that ice! its thin! getting thinner. crack. glug...)

Edit: rats! I just read more of the previous postings, and this has already been mentioned. My apologies.

Last edited:
Yithian - I suspect nobody wants to be accused of insensitivity to promiscuous gay men.

I understand that—and I accept that there genuinely is some risk of stigmatisation if messages seem to be aimed specifically at one group—but at the same time what is required is not a diminution of anybody's identity but a temporary abstention from high-risk activity.

The scenarios are not identical, but such a request seems readily comparable to (though, in fact, less extreme than) the way my late grandmother was kept in involuntary isolation and I was forced to suspend my work 'for the greater good'. I'm still quite bitter about both of these things (for various reasons that need not distract us here), but I'll stomach them if more or less all of us endure them more or less equally and there's no mucking about or special pleading.

In the case of Covid, there were unappealable orders with legal sanction against those who disobeyed; yet in this scenario we're not even able to offer medically accurate advice on risk prevention? I can only hope that rather more frank words are being had within the community.

The Great British public, for all their ignorance and obstinancy, are a pragmatic bunch; none of them wants a literal pox circulating in the wake of what they've just been through. I suspect that the average reaction to a judiciously worded warning would be closer to 'well, stands t'reason, dunnit?' than 'bloody dirty benders spreadin' their diseases again'—and you may be assured that I seldom overestimate the intelligence of the general public.

Edit: perhaps I got out of bed the wrong side. There's nothing wrong with your point at all @Endlessly Amazed .

I understand that—and I accept that there genuinely is some risk of stigmatisation if messages seem to be aimed specifically at one group—but at the same time what is required is not a diminution of anybody's identity but a temporary abstention from high-risk activity.

The scenarios are not identical, but such a request seems readily comparable to (though, in fact, less extreme than) the way my late grandmother was kept in involuntary isolation and I was forced to suspend my work 'for the greater good'. I'm still quite bitter about both of these things (for various reasons that need not distract us here), but I'll stomach them if more or less all of us endure them more or less equally and there's no mucking about or special pleading.

In the case of Covid, there were unappealable orders with legal sanction against those who disobeyed; yet in this scenario we're not even able to offer medically accurate advice on risk prevention? I can only hope that rather more frank words are being had within the community.

The Great British public, for all their ignorance and obstinancy, are a pragmatic bunch; none of them wants a literal pox circulating in the wake of what they've just been through. I suspect that the average reaction to a judiciously worded warning would be closer to 'well, stands t'reason, dunnit?' than 'bloody dirty benders spreadin' their diseases again'—and you may be assured that I seldom overestimate the intelligence of the general public.

Edit: perhaps I got out of bed the wrong side. There's nothing wrong with your point at all @Endlessly Amazed .
I agree with you about the stupidity of the public health advice.

I am in the US, and the AIDS era (1980s) really made me change my mind about the different goals of public health advice from the CDC: multiple, and sometimes conflicting. Keeping the public calm, reassured, and non-reactive was more important than actual useful information. Crowd control.

Now, it is to not offend any potentially offendable sliver of the population. Crowd control again. In the 1980s, the general social response was to blame the gays; now it is to not offend the gays. Perhaps this is progress.

After enduring the past two covid years of my life with my totally disabled, immune-compromised husband, I have accepted that the stupid (and selfish and superstitious) have once again regained control of society.

Portugal Health Department claims the origin of this monkey pox is from Nigeria.

But what has surprised scientists In Portugal is that this strain of monkey pox is mutating at a unheard rate making this strain highly infectious.

But the trade off is a lower fatality rate.

The World Health Organization has declared monkey pox is not an emergency, but will kept checking on the situation.

The American CDC has informed doctors that they are finding that some of the present monkey pox cases have been bizarre as it has been reported that the pox did not break out on the hands and feet first.

Some of the present monkey pox cases caused the pox to break out in the mouth, rectum area, and in the genitals which is uncharacteristic of past monkey pox cases.

UK Health Agency stunned at the mutation rate in England that was first report by Portugal.

As of June 27th there were 1,076 cases in the UK.

The virus is in “ accelerated evolution “ having already 50 mutations in the DNA.

Back