• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Global Warming & Climate Change: The Phenomenon

As parts of India and Bangladesh drown beneath flood waters, regarded as the worst in generations, Lake Sawa in Iraq dries up for the first time in history.
20220424_alsawalakeiraq_ok.jpg

It seems the immediate effects of the gradual climate warming is to make existing trends more extreme, accelerating what might have taken decades into years.

Even here in the outer islands of the continent, we are seeing changing patterns where rainfall becomes more infrequent but more extreme.
There's vast underground lakes in India, and Africa as well.

The reason why it gets used by the green lobby is because it makes for great images that tug at the heartstrings, when used in PR campaigns.

Their usual hunting habitat is shrinking though. I still think a few polar bears should be sent to Antarctica as an experiment. Maybe they would thrive there.

Their usual hunting habitat is shrinking though. I still think a few polar bears should be sent to Antarctica as an experiment. Maybe they would thrive there.
They might wipe out the wildlife that's already there.

Given the millions of penguins, seals etc I think a balance could be struck. Might be a need for occasional culls, an expenses paid trip for Max. Anyway, a trial experiment could examine some of those details.

You might be condemning the Polar Bears to death if you send them south - I imagine they haven't evolved for hunting penguins etc.

That's one reason. Another reason is that transplanting polar bears to Antarctica would require unanimous approval of all countries who are parties to the governing international treaty.
While it’s true that the Antarctic has an appropriate climate for polar bears and food for them to eat, relocating the bears south is far from foolproof. For one, Antarctica is largely lacking in land predators similar to the polar bear. Without these types of predators, penguins and seals have evolved to be rather confident when hanging out above the water. ...

If polar bears were introduced to the Antarctic, penguins would be like lame ducks for the polar bears to feast upon. With these known advantages, the polar bear stands to overindulge on Antarctic prey, which could lead to devastating consequences for Antarctica’s long-term residents.

The unknown repercussions of introducing polar bears to Antarctica’s penguins and seals speak to a larger problem with this type of human intervention: the unknown. ...

There are also significant logistical barriers to moving polar bears to Antarctica since the continent is not under the control of a single country. Instead, Antarctica is managed under a treaty ratified by fifty-four countries. Under this agreement, the introduction of polar bears to Antarctica would require the unanimous support of all member states. Given how challenging it has been to add marine protected areas to Antarctica, it’s unlikely a controversial plan to introduce polar bears to the continent would ever achieve the required unanimous approval. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.forbes.com/sites/allene...in-antarctica-but-could-they/?sh=1703aa3b5d4d

Ruh-roh ... :doh:

It seems we've been too optimistic about the carbon capturing capacities of the oceans.
The Deep Ocean Might Store Way Less Carbon Than We Hoped

The oceans are one of our planet's most important carbon sinks, with currently around 39,000 gigatons of carbon dioxide locked away – that's around 50 times more than what's circulating in the atmosphere right now.

However, we can't rely on this carbon capture and storage to solve our climate crisis problem, because we're producing too much excess CO2 too quickly.

What's more, a new study suggests that the deep ocean isn't able to hold anywhere near as much carbon as previously thought.

Scientists looked at the cycle of carbon as it's sucked up by microscopic plants living near the surface of the water that then drift down to the seabed.

Based on new particle tracking models, it turns out that this process is 'leakier' and retains less carbon long-term than earlier estimates. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/the-deep-ocean-might-store-less-carbon-than-we-thought

The reason why it gets used by the green lobby is because it makes for great images that tug at the heartstrings, when used in PR campaigns.
I visited the London Aquarium (the one near the London Eye). There was an interactive display whereby if you sat next to a fake polar lake you could see yourself on a screen above. Then on this screen was a killer whales jumping out of the lake and then splashing back in. Next was a cutesy polar bear and ever cuter cub and both of them gazed up at us with puppy dog eyes.

Total f**king insult to polar bears who are apex predators and would happily dine on any passing human. Also where is the credibility of the aquarium as an organisation that claims to educate the public (justification for keeping penguins and other sea life in captivity)

AFAIK Polar Bears are the only animals that have been recorded/proven to actively hunt humans.
I was watching a tv prog (can't remember which, but any of them which have a visit to the artic usually do it) in which they went out for a few days in tents etc on the ice and took guns with them, and the tv star bloke asked why they needed guns and was told that it's for shooting the Polar Bears.

AFAIK Polar Bears are the only animals that have been recorded/proven to actively hunt humans.
I was watching a tv prog (can't remember which, but any of them which have a visit to the artic usually do it) in which they went out for a few days in tents etc on the ice and took guns with them, and the tv star bloke asked why they needed guns and was told that it's for shooting the Polar Bears.

"The Government of Svalbard, Norway, has strict requirements for protection against bears. People are not allowed to leave the town without adequate protection, because of the large number of polar bears in the vicinity, and the constant potential for attack. The governor of Svalbard does not recommend bear spray. The governor of Svalbard prohibits the use of bear spray as a protection against polar bears.

2.1 Rifles used for protection against polar bears shall have a minimum calibre of .308W or 30-06 (7.62 mm). Rifle bullets shall be expanding, with a minimum bullet weight of 11.5 g. The required impact energy shall be 2,700 J, measured at a distance of 100 m.

For reasons of precision, range, functionality in cold conditions and stopping power, the Governor of Svalbard recommends the use of rifles as the primary means of protection against polar bears, rather than other types of firearms.

Shotguns:

2.2 Shotguns used for protection against polar bears shall have a minimum calibre of 12, and should have a magazine permitting a minimum of four shots (automatic or pump-action shotgun). The use of slugs (shotgun ammunition comprised of one projectile) is recommended for protection against polar bears.

no properly armed person has been injured or killed by a polar bear in the last 50 years in Spitsbergen. There have been casualties, indeed, but all victims were unarmed or inadequately armed – here are some of these stories.
In 1998, an academic study of bear attacks was done in Svalbard. The study found, from 1971-1995, 77 bears had been killed in serious confrontations with people. Three bears escaped. 10 people were injured. Of those, four died from their injuries. None of those who were injured or killed had an appropriate firearm. From Man and Polar Bear in Svalbard: a solvable ecological conflict?"

From 1971 to 1995, approximately 80 bears were involved in serious bear-human interactions. Of these, 77 bears were killed and 3 escaped after having injured people. During the same period, 10 people were injured, 4 of them fatally, in 7 separate interactions, each involving a single bear. None of the victims carried an appropriate firearm.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/go...-spray-vs-firearms-for-defense-against-bears/

maximus otter

Las Vegas know as “ sin city “ and surrounded area in the western U.S. is running out of water.

Las Vegas wants to divert water from the Mississippi River through the Missouri River to the western states which has put the Mississippi River states on defense.

The opponents against this idea said California should put desalinators all down their coastline.

Las Vegas know as “ sin city “ and surrounded area in the western U.S. is running out of water.

Las Vegas wants to divert water from the Mississippi River through the Missouri River to the western states which has put the Mississippi River states on defense.

The opponents against this idea said California should put desalinators all down their coastline.
And the Mississippi River floods quite frequently, causing serious damage, so one would think that was a valid plan.
Our local river has flooded five times in recent years, more and more frequently, which only means that it will get worse.

You are right.

The western states defense is that diverting the Mississippi River will control flooding on the Mississippi River.

You are right.

The western states defense is that diverting the Mississippi River will control flooding on the Mississippi River.
I wish they would divert some of the water from our local river, nothing is being done at all, for years they have been saying that plans are in the works, I long ago stopped listening to their nonsense. Instead of taking action, when the flooding starts up they open the floodgates north of us, which relieves flooding in upscale areas and sends it all downstream.
When the surrounding areas are underwater completely, then it might become an issue for some type of action because of lost taxes, but we're not waiting for that day. :)

Re; Bears.

One of my fellow scholars went to Svalbard one summer; she loved it.

But was constantly warned about the bears...apparently a kid was pulled out of his tent and mauled...he died...a week before her visit.

I favour the guy who on finding a bear climb aboard his boat, gave it a phosphorus round with his Very pistol.

I favour the guy who on finding a bear climb aboard his boat, gave it a phosphorus round with his Very pistol.
That's not just a pistol... it's very pistol!

I read an article today in a pay per view website so I cannot post a link. In it the author was question whether CFC's from fridges have caused global warming. His point was that from when the fridge was invented, roughly 1920 for a fridge that used CFC's, until around the early 1980's when it became widely know that allowing CFC's to escape into the atmosphere affects it, are still having an effect on climate.

It may not sound much but how many fridges in that intervening time have been scraped allowing CFC's to vent to the atmosphere? Possibly world wide in the hundreds if not thousands of millions.

It's worth considering that we're being lied to about the causes of climate change as their are huge profits to be made from the current reason given. Whether that is all true or not, I don't know but when big huge money and profits are involved, it always raises a question mark in my mind and CO2 is a definitely a money spinner.

Edit: Wording. A few wrong words.

I read an article today in a pay per view website so I cannot post a link. In it the author was question whether CFC's from fridges have caused global warming. His point was that from when the fridge was invented, roughly 1920 for a fridge that used CFC's, until around the early 1980's when it became widely know that allowing CFC's to escape into the atmosphere affects it, are still having an effect on climate.

It may not sound much but how many fridges in that intervening time have been scraped allowing CFC's to vent to the atmosphere? Possibly world wide in the hundreds if not thousands of millions.

It's worth considering that we're being lied to about the causes of climate change as their are huge profits to be made from the current reason given. Whether that is all true or not, I don't know but when big huge money and profits are involved, it always raises a question mark in my mind and CO2 is a definitely a money spinner.

Edit: Wording. A few wrong words.

Fridges and aerosols used CFCs which were depleting our ozone layer:

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/ar...es-found-to-be-leaking-ozone-destroying-cfcs/

My house is about 40 years old and my old air system runs on the old Freon known as R-22 outlawed in 2010.

The new Freon is R410A and will not hurt the ozone.

I have been told that if I lose my R-22 from a leak, I am “ screwed” and a new unit at $10,000 is the only answer.

Until recently, the observation of the ozone layer over the southern Pole, was in the Antipodean Spring...

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/07/13...graphs-saying-they-are-false-and-not-allowed/

LinkedIn Bans Geologist for Posting the U.S. Government’s Own CO2 Graphs, Saying They Are “False” and “Not Allowed”​

...when he posted two charts used by the IPCC. The charts show the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere according to the paleoclimatic record. The data come from the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and are widely considered the best available science.

The UK Met Office expressed an unsettling opinion.

This heat pattern did not show up in our computer models until 2050 which means this heat is about 30 years ahead of ourselves.

The UK Met Office expressed an unsettling opinion.

This heat pattern did not show up in our computer models until 2050 which means this heat is about 30 years ahead of ourselves.
Their computer models are just guess work presented as scientific fact. They don't know for sure but as with all things media and with fear used to good effect, we'll never know the truth. 'They' have been experimenting with modifying the weather for over 70 years and the US military, especially, have spent untold billions upon billions for that aim. Does anyone really believe they haven't achieved anything in all that time with all that money spent?

Countries all over the world have been talking about geo-engineering for years now. Even the saintly Bill Gates has his plan to spray chalk into the atmosphere supposedly to combat global warming. What if it's the other way round, it's them that is causing or adding to global warming to keep the money rolling in? It may be true, it may not be but it's worth considering.

Their computer models are just guess work presented as scientific fact. They don't know for sure but as with all things media and with fear used to good effect, we'll never know the truth. 'They' have been experimenting with modifying the weather for over 70 years and the US military, especially, have spent untold billions upon billions for that aim. Does anyone really believe they haven't achieved anything in all that time with all that money spent?

Countries all over the world have been talking about geo-engineering for years now. Even the saintly Bill Gates has his plan to spray chalk into the atmosphere supposedly to combat global warming. What if it's the other way round, it's them that is causing or adding to global warming to keep the money rolling in? It may be true, it may not be but it's worth considering.
I haven't checked the veracity of the claim made below.

‘Net Zero’ Global Warming Alarm Based on Temperatures Measured Next to Airport Runways With Hot Jet Engines and Tarmac​

https://dailysceptic.org/2022/07/15...port-runways-with-hot-jet-engines-and-tarmac/

About one half of all land surface temperature measurements used to show global warming and promote the command-and-control Net Zero agenda are taken near or adjacent to airport runways. This amazing fact from research by Professor Ross McKitrick casts further serious doubt on the validity of three major global temperature datasets, including the one compiled by the Met Office, which continue to show higher global temperatures compared with other reliable measurements made by satellites and meteorological balloons.

Back