• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Well let's be totally transparent here. The best way of ensuring that the Glastonbury Festival does not impact the environment in any way whatsoever, with no 1600+ tonnes of rubbish to remove, several thousand discarded tents and sleeping bags to deal with, all the 'waste products' that spill off into the surrounding land, and to be completely 'carbon neutral' etc etc, would be to have no Glastonbury Festival at all.
View attachment 56582
I've never understood the leaving tents and sleeping bags thing. What's that all about?

I've never understood the leaving tents and sleeping bags thing. What's that all about?
Middle-class, well-off, arseholes and entitled pricks, with more money than sense who can't be arsed to take their shit home with them and just leave it behind, probably saying stuff like "Oh, they donate them to the homeless, doncha know, so really I'm doing a good thing by leaving it behind!"

Well let's be totally transparent here. The best way of ensuring that the Glastonbury Festival does not impact the environment in any way whatsoever, with no 1600+ tonnes of rubbish to remove, several thousand discarded tents and sleeping bags to deal with, all the 'waste products' that spill off into the surrounding land, and to be completely 'carbon neutral' etc etc, would be to have no Glastonbury Festival at all.
View attachment 56582
Right - we’ve got to the nub of it - you don’t approve of Glastonbury on environmental grounds. Very commendable & no doubt you put your concern for the environment & carbon neutrality into practice by not driving anywhere or using heating. Or doing much at all.

a] they don’t claim to be carbon neutral
b] they make enough money from the festival to pay people to clean up afterwards
c] it’s a working farm & within a few days will be a working farm again

No doubt you also disapprove of all the other festivals that happen every year.

No doubt you also disapprove of all the other festivals that happen every year.
No don't be ridiculous, only most of them.
Especially the ones attended by middle-class, well-off, arseholes and entitled pricks, with more money than sense who can't be arsed to take their shit home with them.

And...
a; No they don't claim to be carbon neutral but they do make a whole load of other claims about their 'green' policies, and requests about attending the festival - requests that are clearly ignored such as not littering, and taking your shit home with you, especially your tents and sleeping bags.
https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/green-glastonbury/our-green-policies/
b; I expect they do make enough money to employ people to clear up afterwards - so why do they get 'volunteers' to help do it, and only give them entry to the festival by way of payment?
c; It's a working farm yes, except of course the area of the festival for the month before and after the event, while they set it up and then dismantle it all, and then they can't let livestock onto the area until it has been thoroughly cleared of all debris and anything likely to be toxic/dangerous.

you put your concern for the environment & carbon neutrality into practice by not driving anywhere or using heating. Or doing much at all.
I don't give a flying fuck for the environment, but I don't go out of my way to be deliberately polluting either.
I just get on with my life as sensibly as possibly without bothering others or trying to provoke an argument for the sake of it.
What I have a problem with really are the self-contradictory hypocrites and sanctimonious pricks and celebs who want to lecture the general public over how they should be saving the planet etc whilst themselves driving gas-guzzling motors and flying everywhere, usually in private jets.
Those people are not as environmentally friendly as promised, but they like to try and convince you that they are.

Especially the ones attended by middle-class, well-off, arseholes and entitled pricks, with more money than sense who can't be arsed to take their shit home with them.

And...
a; No they don't claim to be carbon neutral but they do make a whole load of other claims about their 'green' policies, and requests about attending the festival - requests that are clearly ignored such as not littering, and taking your shit home with you, especially your tents and sleeping bags.
https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/green-glastonbury/our-green-policies/
b; I expect they do make enough money to employ people to clear up afterwards - so why do they get 'volunteers' to help do it, and only give them entry to the festival by way of payment?
c; It's a working farm yes, except of course the area of the festival for the month before and after the event, while they set it up and then dismantle it all, and then they can't let livestock onto the area until it has been thoroughly cleared of all debris and anything likely to be toxic/dangerous.

I don't give a flying fuck for the environment, but I don't go out of my way to be deliberately polluting either.
I just get on with my life as sensibly as possibly without bothering others or trying to provoke an argument for the sake of it.
What I have a problem with really are the self-contradictory hypocrites and sanctimonious pricks and celebs who want to lecture the general public over how they should be saving the planet etc whilst themselves driving gas-guzzling motors and flying everywhere, usually in private jets.
Those people are not as environmentally friendly as promised, but they like to try and convince you that they are.
Really Trev - you’ve gone from snarking about a diesel generator being used, as some sort of environmental black mark against them, to actually not giving a fuck about the environment - thanks for clearing that up - to now saying what you really don’t like about Glastonbury in particular is the people who go to it & a few nameless celebs, none of whom have been shown to have any connection with it. I think we got there in the end.

I’m in agreement with you that people should take their shit with them but there we are. At least it gets cleaned up. And celeb hypocrisy is bad, but who of them are directly connected to Glastonbury?

There’s a dance music weekend festival coming up soon in a park near me. Mountains of litter will be left then cleaned up after, generators will be used, drugs will be taken. There may be a stabbing or two, I don’t know. No tents though as no camping.

In an ideal TrevLand would you like to stop all festivals or is it just Glastonbury you take exception to?

And...

I often watch the original 1969 Woodstock festival performances on youtube and as great as it was music-wise I do get annoyed by the ethos of the whole 'hippie' deal that only quite well off people could have, especially back then. It was all very well when you had money and a nice car to travel to the event in but someone still had to work down a mine to get the ore to make the car, build the roads to get to the place, work in a sweatshop somewhere to make the clothes, work on an oil rig to get the oil to make the car work, work long hours on a farm to grow the food.........

Electric cars could pay tax by the mile

Electric cars face being fitted with tracking devices under proposals for a pay-per-mile road taxation system put forward by the Government’s own climate advisers.

The Climate Change Committee (CCC) says the Government needs to find ways to cover the “significant hole” in the public finances left by the loss of fuel duty and other taxes when petrol and diesel cars are replaced by electric models.

Potential approaches, it added, range from “a simple charge per mile driven, which could be levied based on annual odometer checks, to more sophisticated schemes that vary the charge based on the time of day or the location/type of road being used, based on vehicle tracking technologies.”

Currently, petrol and diesel drivers pay fuel duty at 52.95 pence per litre, bringing in £28bn for the Government last year. Petrol and diesel are also subject to 20pc VAT. By contrast, electric car divers pay no fuel duty, and VAT on domestic electricity is only charged at 5pc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...ld-have-government-tracking-devices-tax-mile/

- and I'm absolutely sure that the regime's ability to track all privately-owned cars 24/7/365 won't be misused...

:rolleyes:

maximus otter

There may be a stabbing or two, I don’t know.
Oh, what, haven't you decided whether or not you're going to go yet then?

the people who go to it & a few nameless celebs, none of whom have been shown to have any connection with it
Well, surely, the fact that they go to it IS their connection to it. :thought:

In an ideal TrevLand would you like to stop all festivals or is it just Glastonbury you take exception to?
No not at all. I would just like to see an end to hypocrisy. (I don't have any problems with the generators themselves, they could have hundreds of them for all I care - I wasn't being snarky at all, just making a direct observation of fact. I leave the snarkiness to others).

The title of this thread is "Not as environmentally friendly as promised", which the use of diesel generators to charge the (actually very polluting) electric cars, and the contradictory statements and actions of those attending is a prime example of, hence my inclusion of them above. It's unfortunate that you feel aggrieved by it, yet here we are.

There's too many people (including celebs and other luminaries such as Prince Harry and Meghan, Bono, Geldof, Morrissey, McCartney, Gaga, Thunberg, etc etc) who sanctimoniously preach about saving the planet etc but then drive off in the biggest 4x4 that can be found, and then fly across the country by helicopter and private jet.
I don't have a problem with people, whether that be celebs or otherwise, owning or using these things, but just don't go telling US not to.
Trevland is a good idea. Everyone would have a lovely time without being preached to about how selfish they are.
Leave your knives at the door though, please.

Oh and as agreed.....please can you all take your shit home with you! :bthumbup:

There's too many people (including celebs and other luminaries such as Prince Harry and Meghan, Bono, Geldof, Morrissey, McCartney, Gaga, Thunberg, etc etc) who sanctimoniously preach about saving the planet etc but then drive off in the biggest 4x4 that can be found, and then fly across the country by helicopter and private jet.
I don't have a problem with people, whether that be celebs or otherwise, owning or using these things, but just don't go telling US not to.
Trevland is a good idea. Everyone would have a lovely time without being preached to about how selfish they are.

:bthumbup:
It's the huge houses (all over the world) they live in too that gets me. I suppose you could argue that they provide jobs for people- cleaners/housesitters/drivers/cooks etc, but the 'carbon footprint' must be massive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a detached house away from annoying people, but some of those 'celebrity' places are like small towns. I'd rather save my money and buy a less ostentatious pad that is still a decent size.

Oh, what, haven't you decided whether or not you're going to go yet then?

Since I’m neither young nor a dance music fan I won’t be going.

The title of this thread is "Not as environmentally friendly as promised", which the use of diesel generators to charge the (actually very polluting) electric cars, and the contradictory statements and actions of those attending is a prime example of, hence my inclusion of them above. It's unfortunate that you feel aggrieved by it, yet here we are.

I’m not aggrieved, just puzzled by your antipathy to it over the many other festivals which are just as polluting, trash strewn etc. It’s probably the largest though so more of everything.

Well, surely, the fact that they go to it IS their connection to it. :thought:
Not really. People go because it’s a hip/groovy place to go, not because they’re promoting it’s green-ness. For musicians who play there it’s a gig you’d have to be silly not to do. Admittedly I only saw a few of the acts this year but none of them said anything about it’s environmental impact or green credentials. Not one.

The one person I know who did was Greta Thunberg who made a speech on the environment but what else do you expect from her? None of the others in your list as far as I know have any real connection with Glastonbury apart from some of them have played there.

Anyway, we’re not going to get anywhere with this so I’ll say no more. We can agree about hypocrisy.

Toyota’s Chief Says Electric Vehicles Are Overhyped

[Toyota's] leader criticized what he described as excessive hype over electric vehicles, saying advocates failed to consider the carbon emitted by generating electricity and the costs of an EV transition.

Toyota President Akio Toyoda said Japan would run out of electricity in the summer if all cars were running on electric power. The infrastructure needed to support a fleet consisting entirely of EVs would cost Japan between ¥14 trillion and ¥37 trillion, the equivalent of $135 billion to $358 billion, he said.

“When politicians are out there saying, ‘Let’s get rid of all cars using gasoline,’ do they understand this?”

He said he feared government regulations would make cars a “flower on a high summit”—out of reach for the average person.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyotas-chief-says-electric-vehicles-are-overhyped-11608196665

maximus otter

[Toyota's] leader criticized what he described as excessive hype over electric vehicles, saying advocates failed to consider the carbon emitted by generating electricity and the costs of an EV transition.

Toyota President Akio Toyoda said Japan would run out of electricity in the summer if all cars were running on electric power. The infrastructure needed to support a fleet consisting entirely of EVs would cost Japan between ¥14 trillion and ¥37 trillion, the equivalent of $135 billion to $358 billion, he said.

“When politicians are out there saying, ‘Let’s get rid of all cars using gasoline,’ do they understand this?”

He said he feared government regulations would make cars a “flower on a high summit”—out of reach for the average person.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyotas-chief-says-electric-vehicles-are-overhyped-11608196665

maximus otter
Finally, some honesty from an industry figure!

maximus otter
Literally ANY electrical or eletronics engineer could tell you this...but maybe folk will take some heed.

Criminals probably worried about getting charged by the current police officers though.
They'll end up in front of one of one of the circuit judges.

Fantasy has become reality. We are being persuaded that an unworkable solution to a non-existent problem, is now an inevitability.

maximus otter
I wonder how so many smart people got duped? Science should never be led astray like this.

Back