• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Human Population Growth & Overpopulation

We live in North Lancashire and generally it never bloody stops raining here. I have family in Kent and they are all on water meters.

But I don't manufacture goods or grow crops.
Surely the water usage for that is listed for the companies that do it?
It doesn't make sense to apportion out that water usage equally across everyone in the population because there will be people that don't use those goods or eat those foods.
In the UK water usage is 'metered' in a lot of properties, both residential and commercial. If not metered then a standing charge for supply is used.
I remember one time a few years back when the weather forecast was advising that due to the 'drought' conditions that were covering much of the UK at the time, that 'hosepipe bans' were coming into effect. As they were announcing this, it was raining so heavily here that I was half expecting to see my hosepipe float past.
Do you buy the products and eat the food? That is why it is added to the per person percentage.

But I don't manufacture goods or grow crops.
Surely the water usage for that is listed for the companies that do it?
It doesn't make sense to apportion out that water usage equally across everyone in the population because there will be people that don't use those goods or eat those foods.
In the UK water usage is 'metered' in a lot of properties, both residential and commercial. If not metered then a standing charge for supply is used.
I remember one time a few years back when the weather forecast was advising that due to the 'drought' conditions that were covering much of the UK at the time, that 'hosepipe bans' were coming into effect. As they were announcing this, it was raining so heavily here that I was half expecting to see my hosepipe float past.
Trevp666 -
The 86 gallons/person figure is an estimate, based on the total water usage and the number of people. It would be impossible to give exact figures for every person or every family in a country, and that of every institution in a country. (Think of the size of the spreadsheet :) ) This makes sense to me, but apparently not to you.

You and I both consume crops and use goods, unless we are naked breatharians. If you are, we demand photo documentation!

Edit: the 86 gal/person/day is a statistical average: the "mean."
I estimate I use 20 gal/day in hands-on tasks: I drink water, cook, scrub floors, wash dishes, wash cloths, flush toilets, water plants...

Last edited:
I don't think there's a problem with overpopulation.

There is a major problem that our leaders think there is overpopulation and want to take care of that problem.

These idiots believe that people eat cows, cows fart cause global warming, the people have t go.

As long as we keep voting for self loathing and corrupt politicians we are in trouble.

Anyone who lives in NJ knows overpopulation is a major problem, and getting worse every day.
My parents moved to Florida, after 30 years the population in their area quadrupled.
Overpopulation is the problem of the future.

Anyone who lives in NJ knows overpopulation is a major problem, and getting worse every day.
My parents moved to Florida, after 30 years the population in their area quadrupled.
Overpopulation is the problem of the future.
Yes. You can always cram more and more people in, but what good is that when your standard of living becomes so low (ie unhealthy physically and mentally) due to this- let alone being able to provide enough food and clean water for everyone?

Yes. You can always cram more and more people in, but what good is that when your standard of living becomes so low (ie unhealthy physically and mentally) due to this- let alone being able to provide enough food and clean water for everyone?
You've got that right! Nowhere to park your car, traffic jams everywhere, late to work every morning because of the traffic / funerals / people double parked in the middle of the road, longer and longer lines at the supermarket and delis, jammed highways, the 'special' people refusing to wear masks and coughing and sneezing with mouths wide open right behind you on line, long lines at the bank ATM machine to remove money from your account - then when you get there the ATM is 'empty', the laundromats are all full so you have to wait for a washer, absolutely no housing available - I try to do everything early in the morning to avoid the crowds and the irritation and listening to everyone screech into their cell phones.
Too many people, and I'll just leave it at that.

What the future will look like for housing in this country, if we don't do anything about overpopulation:
01OMT9vk3iSfISI76gYA89o-1.fit_lim.v1628104987.jpg

6471c80cf8ed5bfe4cdc4cc888be09bd.png

High density in some areas for sure, but the population is flattening out at about 10.5billion; the birth rate reduces to about one child per adult as socio economic condtions improve. The issue is how do we deal with this number and we ought to be planning for that.

In then end it will come down to energy supply...

High density in some areas for sure, but the population is flattening out at about 10.5billion; the birth rate reduces to about one child per adult as socio economic condtions improve. The issue is how do we deal with this number and we ought to be planning for that.

In then end it will come down to energy supply...
Yes. I often wonder how much our increased use of computers and therefore electricity and heat, is part of the problem for a start.

Yes. I often wonder how much our increased use of computers and therefore electricity and heat, is part of the problem for a start.
I wonder about that. For 2019 earths electrickery generation was 23,845 Terawatt hours.

So for watts, divide by hours (365x24) = 2.722 TW

This all returns to 'heat' in the end.

A reasonable average for the efficiency of electricity generation means we can add a third of that on as 'waste heat'. So every day (approximately) we generate some 3.54TW of heat and pump it into the earth/atmosphere.

No idea whether that's a factor in climate change or not (does make me think aircon is no better than leaving the fridge door open to cool a room though). So...

Thermal energy of sun is about 1,370 watts per meter impinging on the earth. Area of earth facing the sun is (pi x r^2) where r is 6,376 km or 6,371,000m.

So area of earth facing sun is: 3.14159 x 6,371,000m x 6,371,000m.

Thermal energy from sun impacting earth is: 3.14159 x 6,371,000m^2 x 1,370 = 17,469 TW

...our heating dumping is around 0.02% of the thermal absorbtion of the sun (3.54/17,469). But wait, the earth re-radiates heat...about 30% of it. So that changes it to 0.03%...

Feel free to check my maths, but it doesn't look that significant...plus I've taken a linear approach to a very non-linear problem.

It's too bad that Nikola Tesla is not still here with us, to give the world free electricity.
He did try, but wasn't allowed.

It's too bad that Nikola Tesla is not still here with us, to give the world free electricity.
He did try, but wasn't allowed.
It was a bad business model. Wouldn't have worked financially.

"This is an announcement from Genetic Control
It is my sad duty to inform you of a four foot restriction on
Humanoid height...
It's said now that people will be shorter in height
They can fit twice as many in the same building site
They say it's alright"

What the future will look like for housing in this country, if we don't do anything about overpopulation:
01OMT9vk3iSfISI76gYA89o-1.fit_lim.v1628104987.jpg

6471c80cf8ed5bfe4cdc4cc888be09bd.png

Just a few weeks ago this story made the media here in Australia. Essentially, an enterprising landlord in Melbourne decided to maximise their rentals returns by installing 'pods' into their rental property thereby allowing more people to be able to sleep in one room. The going rate was $900 a month.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...g-a-single-bed-for-rent-for-up-to-900-a-month

Well here it is, not that I understand any of it, but he was very much in favor of trying to do good for the world:

Nikola Tesla's Free Electricity Electronic Circuit​

https://scholars.direct/Articles/electronics-and-communication/jec-1-001.php?jid=electronics-and-communication#:~:text=One of the Nikola Tesla's attempt to provide,globe is still alive today [ 1 ].
One of these days I'm going to make this, just to see if any signifcant power results.

Edit: the papers bona fides are undermined by its description of a 1N4148 diode as a 'zener' diode; as any fule knows this is a small signal diode.

I wonder about that. For 2019 earths electrickery generation was 23,845 Terawatt hours.

So for watts, divide by hours (365x24) = 2.722 TW

This all returns to 'heat' in the end.

A reasonable average for the efficiency of electricity generation means we can add a third of that on as 'waste heat'. So every day (approximately) we generate some 3.54TW of heat and pump it into the earth/atmosphere.

No idea whether that's a factor in climate change or not (does make me think aircon is no better than leaving the fridge door open to cool a room though). So...

Thermal energy of sun is about 1,370 watts per meter impinging on the earth. Area of earth facing the sun is (pi x r^2) where r is 6,376 km or 6,371,000m.

So area of earth facing sun is: 3.14159 x 6,371,000m x 6,371,000m.

Thermal energy from sun impacting earth is: 3.14159 x 6,371,000m^2 x 1,370 = 17,469 TW

...our heating dumping is around 0.02% of the thermal absorbtion of the sun (3.54/17,469). But wait, the earth re-radiates heat...about 30% of it. So that changes it to 0.03%...

Feel free to check my maths, but it doesn't look that significant...plus I've taken a linear approach to a very non-linear problem.
The trouble with you C is that you never put much thought into your posts, or bother to do thorough research. It's always a half-arsed affair with you.

I don't think there's a problem with overpopulation.

There is a major problem that our leaders think there is overpopulation and want to take care of that problem.

These idiots believe that people eat cows, cows fart cause global warming, the people have t go.

As long as we keep voting for self loathing and corrupt politicians we are in trouble.
That reminds me of the vegans who claim they are saving the planet by not eating meat or animal products.

You've got that right! Nowhere to park your car, traffic jams everywhere, late to work every morning because of the traffic / funerals / people double parked in the middle of the road, longer and longer lines at the supermarket and delis, jammed highways, the 'special' people refusing to wear masks and coughing and sneezing with mouths wide open right behind you on line, long lines at the bank ATM machine to remove money from your account - then when you get there the ATM is 'empty', the laundromats are all full so you have to wait for a washer, absolutely no housing available - I try to do everything early in the morning to avoid the crowds and the irritation and listening to everyone screech into their cell phones.
Too many people, and I'll just leave it at that.
I would invite you to move to New Mexico but we have our quota of people from New Jersey. (no, not really, it is not people from New Jersey, it is too many from the midwest). Our state can handle 1 million people, but now we have 2.2 million, and because of military and native reservations taking up about half the state everyone is crammed in to three cities and surrounding areas of those 3 cities.

Back