• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Monkeypox / Monkey Pox

The American CDC has informed doctors that they are finding that some of the present monkey pox cases have been bizarre as it has been reported that the pox did not break out on the hands and feet first.
Some of the present monkey pox cases caused the pox to break out in the mouth, rectum area, and in the genitals which is uncharacteristic of past monkey pox cases.

These and other unusual variations in the disease's progression have been recently noted in the USA and elsewhere.
Monkeypox may present with unusual symptoms, CDC warns

Doctors diagnosing monkeypox should be on the lookout for symptoms that don't quite match the typical descriptions of the disease, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned (opens in new tab) June 14.

... At the start of the infection, people usually develop fever, headache, muscle aches, swollen lymph nodes and fatigue. Then the characteristic rashes associated with monkeypox begin to appear. These rashes typically progress through several stages ... ; eventually, these skin lesions scab over and fall off.

Historically, monkeypox rashes tend to erupt around the face and in the oral cavity, first, and then may progress to the extremities, including the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. However, some of the recent monkeypox cases in the U.S. have diverged from this pattern, the CDC reported.

Many U.S. patients' rashes have initially appeared around the genitals and anus, as well as the tissues lining the mouth. In some patients, these rashes have caused pain in the anus and rectum, rectal bleeding, painful inflammation of the rectal lining (proctitis) and the sensation of having to pass stool when the bowels are empty (tenesmus). These symptoms are not included in the typical descriptions of monkeypox. ...

Similarly odd presentations of monkeypox have been seen in other countries impacted by the current outbreak. ...

In general, symptoms of monkeypox infections can resemble those caused by the Varicella zoster virus, which causes chickenpox, and they can also look like certain sexually transmitted infections, such as syphilis and herpes, the CDC noted. If a patient appears to have one of these illnesses, clinicians should perform a thorough examination of the skin and mucosal tissues, including the anal, vaginal and oral tissues, to rule out monkeypox as a diagnosis. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/unusual-monkeypox-symptoms-cdc

Monkey pox in the UK jumped another 159 cases in the past couple of days to 1,235.

The UK Health Security Agency claims the ease of transmission is not characteristic of past monkey pox.

Hans Kluge, Director WHO Europe, says the spread of monkey pox in Europe should be considered an “ emergency “ status.

Again this version of monkey pox is uncharacteristic as it transmits at super speed unlike the original monkey pox.

The DNA continuing mutations of the current monkey pox is just plain unheard, almost “ alien “.

Can monkey pox actually kill you? Or make you so unwell that you require hospitalisation? It doesn't sound very pleasant but I've heard little to indicate it's a real threat at this point in time, unless I've totally missed something? (I understand mutations may make it more dangerous).

Can monkey pox actually kill you? Or make you so unwell that you require hospitalisation? It doesn't sound very pleasant but I've heard little to indicate it's a real threat at this point in time, unless I've totally missed something? (I understand mutations may make it more dangerous).
Deaths have occurred, but usually as a result of complications.
I think it's a low percentage.

German researchers have examined the prospects for monkeypox transmission via surface contamination rather than direct inter-human contact. Their survey turned up significant viral loads contaminating surfaces, but this doesn't necessarily mean the surfaces represent vectors for active infection.
What Scientists Just Discovered About Monkeypox Virus on Surfaces

German scientists detected viral DNA in monkeypox patient’s rooms, but caution that surface contamination with virus DNA or viable virus does not prove that infection can occur after contact with the surfaces.

During the currently evolving outbreak of monkeypox cases outside of known endemic areas, transmission is mostly driven by close physical contact with symptomatic people. While viral transmission between humans has been described previously, data on environmental contamination of surfaces is very limited. ...

In a new study, Nörz et al. swabbed surfaces in the immediate and adjacent rooms of two hospitalized monkeypox patients in Germany. ...

Contamination with up to 100,000 viral copies/cm2 on inanimate surfaces was estimated by PCR and the virus was successfully isolated from surfaces with more than 1,000,000 copies.

According to the authors, all the surfaces that the two patients had touched directly showed viral contamination, with the highest loads detected in both bathrooms (e.g. lever, washbasin, toilet seats). Fabrics such as towels, shirts, or pillowcases that the patients used frequently also showed viral contamination. ...

The authors highlight that there currently are no definite data on what dose of virus leads to infection with monkeypox in humans. However, assumptions are that it requires a significantly higher dose to trigger infection than others such as the variola virus (smallpox virus).

Nörz et al. hence stress that “despite high contamination with up to 105 cp/cm2 as well as the successful recovery of monkeypox virus from samples with a total of >106 copies, our findings do not prove that infection can occur from contact with these surfaces.” Additionally, detecting viral DNA by PCR “cannot be equated with infectious virus.” ...

Based on their findings, the authors conclude that “regular disinfection of frequent hand and skin contact points during the care processes additional to regular room cleaning and surface disinfection using products with at least virucidal activity against enveloped viruses can reduce infectious virus on surfaces and thereby risk of nosocomial transmission.” ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/what-scientists-just-discovered-about-monkeypox-virus-on-surfaces/

PUBLISHED RESEARCH REPORT:
Nörz Dominik, Pfefferle Susanne, Brehm Thomas T., Franke Gefion, et al.
Evidence of surface contamination in hospital rooms occupied by patients infected with monkeypox, Germany, June 2022.
Euro Surveill. 2022;27(26):pii=2200477.
https://doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2022.27.26.2200477
(FULL REPORT ACCESSIBLE AT THE LINK ABOVE)

As with HIV, it will find its way out to the general population.
This isn't actually the pattern of the original spread of AIDS. It spread regionally depending on what kind of infectious behavior was most common where it was spreading. In some parts of the world where total male promiscuity is the norm it spread throughout the population. Once it got to the US, which was inevitable as with all contagious diseases, it was also spread quickly among intravenous drug users. The gay population had an understandably higher profile and more activist groups than the addicts. This unnamed disease seems to spread mostly by extensive skin contact , again back to multiple frequent partners. Probably leaves out the needle-users. it's going where it can.

This isn't actually the pattern of the original spread of AIDS. It spread regionally depending on what kind of infectious behavior was most common where it was spreading. In some parts of the world where total male promiscuity is the norm it spread throughout the population. Once it got to the US, which was inevitable as with all contagious diseases, it was also spread quickly among intravenous drug users. The gay population had an understandably higher profile and more activist groups than the addicts. This unnamed disease seems to spread mostly by extensive skin contact , again back to multiple frequent partners. Probably leaves out the needle-users. it's going where it can.
Yes, I know how it spread in its early years, but it did eventually end up in the general population in various ways.
One of those ways was through blood transfusions (Isaac Asimov was a victim of this). Another way was sexual contact between straight, gay and bisexual people. Gay men spread it to bisexuals, they in turn spread it to straight people... etc.

The details are confidential but a person returning from Africa to our area has come down with monkey pox.

This reminds me of a saying, you can run or hide, but we will get you !

Health workers are trying to see who he had contact with.

Yes, I know how it spread in its early years, but it did eventually end up in the general population in various ways.
One of those ways was through blood transfusions (Isaac Asimov was a victim of this). Another way was sexual contact between straight, gay and bisexual people. Gay men spread it to bisexuals, they in turn spread it to straight people... etc.
Absolutely. I knew a young woman in the early 1980s, before AIDS even had a name, who went on a summer vacation, had an affair with a stranger, came home and shortly after became very ill.
She was in and out of the hospital, but not much could be done for her, the doctors were puzzled about her condition. She became thinner and went downhill fast, when she passed on it was determined that it was AIDS that had killed her.
This was the very early days of AIDS, and some of those strains were strong.
Who knows how many others that man infected.

I don't think it was quite that orderly. HIV probably arrived in the US as covid did by various pathways (China and Europe with covid). I remember all too well the period when gay men were falling sick with a mystery disease, but at the same time so were needle-sharing addicts with less publicity, and as you point out, blood transfusions were a huge problem as an entire inventory might be contaminated by one donor. And again in Africa, women were being infected by their husbands. Infectious diseases are opportunists.

According to the UK Health Security Agency, the epicenter for monkey pox is London.

Of all the cases reported, only 6 females infected.

Friday one monkey pox case reported in our area.

Today, Monday, two more cases of monkey pox reported in our area.

That’s crazy !

Mythopoeika, in our area the farm animals might out number the citizens.

To have 3 local monkey pox cases seemed strange.

To be fair, the main person just came back from Africa.

The number of monkey pox cases in England has zoomed passed 2,000 with London being ground zero.

The number of monkey pox cases in England has zoomed passed 2,000 with London being ground zero.

Memo to self: Next time l’m in Old Compton Street, London - visiting the Algerian Coffee Shop or i Camisa the Italian deli - should l see a promiscuous homosexual covered in oozing pustules and scratching himself furiously, l must resist the temptation to get squelchy with him.

There: problem solved.

maximus otter

Memo to self: Next time l’m in Old Compton Street, London - visiting the Algerian Coffee Shop or i Camisa the Italian deli - should l see a promiscuous homosexual covered in oozing pustules and scratching himself furiously, l must resist the temptation to get squelchy with him.

There: problem solved.

maximus otter

A typo?

br.jpg

How could a virus that never left Africa in the past suddenly explode across the world ?

The cases in London keep climbing.

I sense a conspiracy here.

The WHO have now declared monkeypox a pandemic.

WTF?

Here we go again, project fear is about to go into overdrive and possibly then ramped up to justify lockdowns, masks and the rest it.

Back