• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

Here you go - https://www.wordperfect.com/en/
Haven't tried it in years, but it has a free trial and education pricing for anyone with a "suitable" e-mail address (eg ends .ac.uk)

edit - this seems a decent review of the 2020 version - https://uk.pcmag.com/office-suites/35699/corel-wordperfect-office

Apparently, and I quote - "WordPerfect is the only word processor that uses the same file format that it started using 25 years ago. That kind of continuity is exactly what its user base needs." so that really might be up a few folks streets, that and although listed as a "fault" it's has an "Outdated Interface" which sounds great to me.

If we could get rid of most of the UI "improvements" in Windows, Office, Mac OS and especially in Ubuntu Linux the world would be happier place. And Steve Sinofsky the man behind the "UI" of Windows 8 needs to be put against the wall alongside the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation when the revolution comes.

Last edited:
Here you go - https://www.wordperfect.com/en/
Haven't tried it in years, but it has a free trial and education pricing for anyone with a "suitable" e-mail address (eg ends .ac.uk)

edit - this seems a decent review of the 2020 version - https://uk.pcmag.com/office-suites/35699/corel-wordperfect-office

Apparently, and I quote - "WordPerfect is the only word processor that uses the same file format that it started using 25 years ago. That kind of continuity is exactly what its user base needs." so that really might be up a few folks streets, that and although listed as a "fault" it's has an "Outdated Interface" which sounds great to me.

If we could get rid of most of the UI "improvements" in Windows, Office, Mac OS and especially in Ubuntu Linux the world would be happier place. And Steve Sinofsky the man behind the "UI" of Windows 8 needs to be put against the wall alongside the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation when the revolution comes.
It's now owned by Corel, which is a good thing in my opinion. I have always been a fan of Corel Draw, probably their best product.

A quick question. I'm using Open Office and I'm making their version of a PowerPoint presentation. What I would like to do is place a video into a document and save it in the document. The insert command places a link to the video but not the actual video into the document. This is not useful if making the document on one machine and using it on another.
I know i could make the document on a memory stick and run it from there but I just want a single document with the videos in.
Anyone know how to do this? All of my online searches and trawl through Open Office help just deal with inserting ultimatley a link. I've tried copying and pasting and dragging and dropping. None work.

A quick question. I'm using Open Office and I'm making their version of a PowerPoint presentation. What I would like to do is place a video into a document and save it in the document. The insert command places a link to the video but not the actual video into the document. This is not useful if making the document on one machine and using it on another.
I know i could make the document on a memory stick and run it from there but I just want a single document with the videos in.
Anyone know how to do this? All of my online searches and trawl through Open Office help just deal with inserting ultimatley a link. I've tried copying and pasting and dragging and dropping. None work.
Try doing it in LibreOffice?
It's an offshoot version of Open Office.

Would it be likely that the creators of Open Office have deliberately prevented users from doing that?
If not then there should be a simple way to do it.
Can you add the video to a separate sheet within the document and then link to that place within itself?

Thanks for the suggestions - in OpenOffice I can link and play, in LibreOffice I can embed but it won't play! Trevp666 it is easy to do either opiton in OfficeLibre but I can only find the link option for OpenOffice, agreed there should be a simple way to do it. I can't insert it to somewhere else in the document as I just have the same problem.

I have time to play around and dowload Codecs, but in the meantime this has given me a clunky workaround. I make it in Libre and open the saved document in Office and that works!

Thanks

Hi All,

I have Windows10, in recent weeks/months Chrome is saving images as a file type I can't determine - it juts says "file" rather than "jpeg" etc is this a recent change? How do I get around it? When saving images from the web, I don't seem to have an option is just says "all files" and I can't change the option?

Thanks.

Hi All,

I have Windows10, in recent weeks/months Chrome is saving images as a file type I can't determine - it juts says "file" rather than "jpeg" etc is this a recent change? How do I get around it? When saving images from the web, I don't seem to have an option is just says "all files" and I can't change the option?

Thanks.
Do you have another programme in which you can convert the file into another format/open in another programme?
How about trying to copy, then paste into another programme. . . might be worth trying.

Do you have another programme in which you can convert the file into another format/open in another programme?

No, I'm wondering if some sort of update has caused this as it seldom happened before and now is very frequent.

Have you changed your default 'save' place from one place to another at some point?
Maybe click on the little cog wheel on the menu for 'settings' and check?

No, I'm wondering if some sort of update has caused this as it seldom happened before and now is very frequent.
Try renaming the file. (Have had a quick look online, and it seems as though the problem has been mainly caused via an update - as others have reported same/similar problem.)

Try renaming the file. (Have had a quick look online, and it seems as though the problem has been mainly caused via an update - as others have reported same/similar problem.)

Thanks, I think I did and it didn't work - added ".jpeg" to no avail. Will try again.

Yes, this is a lousy development decision in windows. All the files I download now, which are mostly PDF, show up with a Chrome icon where it used to say Type: pdf. You can rename them in the save function, but it doesn't change how they appear in your downloads folder. Most of them are pdf's but it turns out some of them are links back to the original source and as such are not available off-line. I don't want to rename the damn files, I want to be able to click and use them.

Hi All,

Thanks.
I would suggest using a different browser, firefox is good.

...it doesn't change how they appear in your downloads folder...

I don't know a solution to the original question, but file associations are a windows thing that is configurable: the files are shown as chrome files because that is the default or chosen application for files with that extension. If the default app for opening pdfs is chrome, they'll display as chrome files. See Sid's link above.

Also of course you can change file explorer to show file extensions.

Hi All,

Thanks.
Some websites are now using some kind of security feature that prevents you from downloading pictures. If you have your system set up to show filename extensions, it will show you trying to save the file as (if I remember correctly) so-and-so.webp - I don't know an easy way around it.

Some websites are now using some kind of security feature that prevents you from downloading pictures. If you have your system set up to show filename extensions, it will show you trying to save the file as (if I remember correctly) so-and-so.webp - I don't know an easy way around it.
You can open .wepb files in 'paint.net' and then save as '.png, .gif, . jpeg...etc.

THIS IS HOW NAZI GERMANY STARTED.

I've torn out the last of my hair trying to solve this. Maybe one of you good folk can suggest a solution . . .

My wife is hearing-impaired, so we would very much like to set up our home AV system so that she could listen thru headphones while I listen thru the speakers. The internet is full of advice to the effect "connect one end of an optical cable to the Optical Audio Out jack on your TV/disk player/whatever, then connect the other end to a DAC (digital-to-analog converter). Plug your headphones into the RCA jacks on the DAC, and you're in business."

The problem is, you can have either an HDMI or an optical connection to your equipment, not both at the same time. So, great, I can have either headphones or speakers, but not both simultaneously.

I realize there aren't enough hearing-impaired folks to influence the electronics market, but this seems like an inexplicable omission in modern AV equipment. Somewhere I saw it suggested that the equipment is deliberately set up this way to protect the IP rights of the content providers; if this is so, screw 'em -- I just want both of us to be able to enjoy entertainment in our own home.

There are a lot of people looking for a solution to this very problem. I'm surprised it hasn't been addressed.

One soul went so far as to position a microphone in front of the TV, then connect the headphones to the mic. Seems like a Rube Goldberg solution to what should be a very simple problem to solve.

Any suggestions appreciated . . .

What output connection types are supported by each of the AV units in your system? Be specific ...

I'm wondering whether you have something that would support a parallel output to a wireless headphones setup.

so that she could listen thru headphones while I listen thru the speakers.
Isn't there just a simple 'splitter' you can plug in to the audio output of your device which has both the types on the other side?
So you have;

1663236138217.png

You'll need to check exactly what your connectors are but there are all sorts on the market, and if it's something obscure I'm sure a decent electrical store could make something up for you.
EG.
item on Ebay.

The nut of the problem (as I understand it) is bridging the divide between digital and analog audio.

Our system comprises an AV receiver, a smart TV, a TiVo DVR, and a Blu-Ray disk player. All of the devices connect to the receiver via HDMI (digital) cables. The headphones are an analog device. The TiVo DVR acts as the TV tuner and video source. The smart TV is does nothing but display the video image. The receiver drives a 5.1 surround speaker system.

The receiver has a full array of input/output connectors: multiple HDMI digital connectors, multiple AV(RCA) analog connectors, and a couple of optical digital connectors. The TiVo and Blu-Ray have only HDMI and optical connectors.

The smart TV has connectors for RCA analog cables as well as HDMI and optical. As I write this, it occurs to me that maybe that is the way to go. The cable between the TV and receiver doesn't need to carry anything except the video image. All the audio processing is done at the receiver. The headphones don't need anything but stereo sound, and this is easily handled by the RCA cable.

If that doesn't work, maybe I need to look at an HDMI splitter with one leg connected to a DAC.

If that doesn't work, maybe I need to look at an HDMI splitter with one leg connected to a DAC.
Bear in mind that for 1080p you're limited to around 1.5m length tops for HDMI, so an active (powered) splitter might be worth considering. There are optical HMDI extenders about (and very good they are too) but they're not cheap.

Whether it's analog or digital, where the sound comes from for the speakers/headphones is your 'source' and it is the output from that 'source' that you need to concentrate on - ignore all the other gubbins, the technicalities only serve to confuse.

So assuming all your home entertainments (TV, video, playstation whatever) are plugged into the 'source' (an amplifier in the audio system) then look at that one output from the 'source'. I expect it is most likely two identical outputs for the left and the right channels (sometimes each output will be a pair of connectors, one blue, one red, and sometimes two separate 3.5mm 'jacks').

It is only a matter of determining the correct connector to plug in to your 'source' output. Then getting the 'splitter' with the correct connections on to plug everything together.

If you have a separate amplifier in the room - for a music stereo player eg - take the analogue audio out from the tv & plug into an auxiliary input [there should be one] on the amp. Plug headphones into that. You’d have to have a ‘speakers off’ switch on the amp, or disconnect speakers.

The nut of the problem (as I understand it) is bridging the divide between digital and analog audio.

Our system comprises an AV receiver, a smart TV, a TiVo DVR, and a Blu-Ray disk player. All of the devices connect to the receiver via HDMI (digital) cables. The headphones are an analog device. The TiVo DVR acts as the TV tuner and video source. The smart TV is does nothing but display the video image. The receiver drives a 5.1 surround speaker system.

The receiver has a full array of input/output connectors: multiple HDMI digital connectors, multiple AV(RCA) analog connectors, and a couple of optical digital connectors. The TiVo and Blu-Ray have only HDMI and optical connectors.

The smart TV has connectors for RCA analog cables as well as HDMI and optical. As I write this, it occurs to me that maybe that is the way to go. The cable between the TV and receiver doesn't need to carry anything except the video image. All the audio processing is done at the receiver. The headphones don't need anything but stereo sound, and this is easily handled by the RCA cable.

My setup is simpler than yours, but it works OK for me.
I have a TV that will output to optical or to standard audio. When I plugged in wireless headphones and used the audio jack, I found that there was a timing problem with the sound. The wireless headphones I have are made by Sennheiser specifically for hearing problems. They have an optical connector, so I used that and it solved the timing issue. The headphones are Sennheiser RS195-U Digital TV Wireless Headphones, but they're crazy expensive.
You could find an RCA-to-audio jack converter, as another option.

I just ordered from Amazon a gizmo that LOOKS LIKE it will do exactly what I want to do. It's an HDMI audio extractor that will sit between the receiver and the TV and split off an analog stereo audio signal. It is specifically intended for folks who want to pick off an analog signal to their headphones from the HDMI cable.

Fingers crossed! (Hey, if it doesn't work, it's easy to return it.)

Back