• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

Y'think? ( :p ) .. I'm going with art deco era but I don't know yet.
Depends on the type of wood and construction. If it's made of teak and it's all held together with wooden pegs, then it's older than art deco (possibly). Teak lasts well in weather.

Depends on the type of wood and construction. If it's made of teak and it's all held together with wooden pegs, then it's older than art deco (possibly). Teak lasts well in weather.
It was obviously by the looks of it the gateway to a grand entry to some place at some time but there's nothing left to find out except research.

Adam the Woo takes us to the location site of the original 1969 Woodstock Festival in Bethel, New York. It's smaller than I'd imagined it tbh, Glastonbury Festival in Pilton is much larger but Woodstock did it first ..

Yucatan's lost hacienda trail

Hundreds of plantations once symbolised the peninsula's wealth but were abandoned in the 1950s after a sudden downturn of fortune. Over the years, the jungle has taken them back.

Though few travellers know of them, there are hundreds of these haciendas in the peninsula, many of them spanning thousands of acres. They once symbolised the peninsula's wealth and power but were abandoned in the 1950s after a sudden downturn of fortune. Some of the ruins are visible from the side of the road, while others require the keen eye and local knowledge of a guide; and whereas some have been left for nature to take back, a few have been reclaimed for a second life.

p0cnp58c.webp

p0cnp5z1.webp

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220725-yucatans-abandoned-henequen-haciendas

maximus otter

Me and a mate found this old doorway a couple of days ago and we both agreed that the place also felt weird .. I mean it looks spooky in a Hollywood/Tim Burton way but it also felt weird so neither of us felt comfortable there ..

View attachment 56166
No clues from any old maps Swifters?

If you want- pm me the address, or give it on here, and I'll have a scan of some old maps.
I don't remember the address but I could remember how to get there on foot so I'll have a look on Google street view and see if I can find it cheers. Please remind me because the Mrs is waffling in my ear about some TV thing at the moment.

edit: right .. from memory, the huge door's down this driveway and round a bend .. so it's close to (or actually was) 24 Harbord Rd, Overstrand, England.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.917545,1.341157,17.12h,-4.22p,2z,onCRvk3akitoBTLfnLMW2g

Last edited:
Adam the Woo takes us to the location site of the original 1969 Woodstock Festival in Bethel, New York. It's smaller than I'd imagined it tbh, Glastonbury Festival in Pilton is much larger but Woodstock did it first ..

I'm still upset that 'Woodstock 50' in 2019 became nothing more than a commercial nightmare, and never happened.
We planned to attend, I was going to wear my floppy hat and sequin eyes and tie dye!!
What a shame how the world has changed, those were such simple times, the good old days!

I'm still upset that 'Woodstock 50' in 2019 became nothing more than a commercial nightmare, and never happened.
We planned to attend, I was going to wear my floppy hat and sequin eyes and tie dye!!
What a shame how the world has changed, those were such simple times, the good old days!
I didn't realise a third one had even been planned? .. I remember the second one was slated for not being a peace and love festival like the original ..

I didn't realise a third one had even been planned? .. I remember the second one was slated for not being a peace and love festival like the original ..
Michael Lang (the original event planner from 1969) tried his best, but 'insurance companies' got involved, and that was the end.
Evidently 'insurance companies' (another name for big money interests?) feel that they have to be in control of everything, even our fun! :)

Michael Lang (the original event planner from 1969) tried his best, but 'insurance companies' got involved, and that was the end.
Evidently 'insurance companies' (another name for big money interests?) feel that they have to be in control of everything, even our fun! :)
I like the fact that one of the original event planners for the first ever Glastonbury festival was Winston Churchill's grand daughter.

'Woodstock: Three Days That Defined A Generation' (2019) is going to be on American tv next Tuesday, (just saw it advertised this minute), a 2 hour documentary 'Celebrating the 50th anniversary of Woodstock, the three-day concert at a farm in NY that marked the end of one of the most turbulent decades in American History'.

I don't remember the address but I could remember how to get there on foot so I'll have a look on Google street view and see if I can find it cheers. Please remind me because the Mrs is waffling in my ear about some TV thing at the moment.

edit: right .. from memory, the huge door's down this driveway and round a bend .. so it's close to (or actually was) 24 Harbord Rd, Overstrand, England.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.917545,1.341157,17.12h,-4.22p,2z,onCRvk3akitoBTLfnLMW2g
Nothing much has come up although I think it must be something to do with 'The Pleasaunce'. The 'subway' referrence is interesting;
cmr.png

Nothing much has come up although I think it must be something to do with 'The Pleasaunce'. The 'subway' referrence is interesting;
View attachment 57584
Cool, thanks .. and a young Winston Churchill used to rent a holiday house in this 'block' with his wife and kids, Pear Tree Cottage. Me and my mate found the exact place. You could throw a stone from The White Horse pub and hit it.

Am currently enjoying a good old British staycation with Madame BMCS at Weston-Super-Mare.
Whilst the Grand Pier is wonderful and does a roaring trade (couldn't resist the Ghost Train yesterday), the Old Pier aka Birnbeck Pier (opened in 1867), has fallen into a truly sorry state of dereliction - but is curiously photogenic in a creepy and evocative kinda way:

20220804_173645_kindlephoto-138127275.jpg

When we stopped to photograph it, I said to my wife that I bet there's a ghost story or two about the place. Sure enough, there are accounts, possibly fanciful, about urban explorers reporting sounds of revellers, donkeys' hoofs, carousel organ music and such like emanating from the rotting decking and rusting metal piles.
There have been numerous plans to restore the pier to its former glory, but I wonder if it's just too far gone now.

Last edited:
Am currently enjoying a good old British staycation with Madame BMCS at Weston-Super-Mare.
Whilst the Grand Pier is wonderful and does a roaring trade (couldn't resist the Ghost Train yesterday), the Old Pier aka Birnbeck Pier (opened in 1867), has fallen into a truly sorry state of dereliction - but is curiously photogenic in a creepy and evocative kinda way:

View attachment 57787

When we stopped to photograph it, I said to my wife that I bet there's a ghost story or two about the place. Sure enough, there are accounts, possibly fanciful, about urban explorers reporting sounds of revellers, donkeys' hoofs, carousel organ music and such like emanating from the rotting decking and rusting metal piles.
There have been numerous plans to restore the pier to its former glory, but I wonder if it's just too far gone now.

Although I didn't spot anyone there at the time, on zooming into my photo above, I can see what looks like a person, who braved the gaudy threats left by urban explorers, to stand at the end of the creepy old pier:

pier1.png

pier2.png

Eerie footage shows inside Glasgow's abandoned Stobhill Hospital​

Resurfaced footage found online takes viewers inside the old Stobhill Hospital, which served for over 100 years until being left to rot in 2011, and has sat empty ever since.

From Glasgowlive.co.uk here.

Abandoned Scottish cottage completely frozen in time found containing WW2 letters

A Scottish cottage completely frozen in time has been unearthed by an urban explorer, who discovered historic World War Two letters and a newspaper proclaiming the first moon landing in1969.

0_Abandoned-cottage-main.jpg

The eerie and crumbling settlement, in Fife, was found by Grant Vincent.

The cottage has been untouched for over a decade, with the stone building gradually being consumed by nature with leaves, branches and moss attaching themselves to it.

Vincent made the stark discovery while visiting Scotland on his travels, with the interior of the building appearing to represent a hoarder's dream with objects filling each dishevelled room from floor to ceiling leaving very little room to step.

Though he made some intriguing finds, Grant was especially surprised to discover a newspaper dating back to July 21st, 1969, the headline reading "Man Walks on the Moon," speaking of Neil Armstrong's ground-breaking Apollo 11 mission, and a letter sent from Luxembourg during The Second World War.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/new...d-scottish-cottage-completely-frozen-24735736

maximus otter

Abandoned Scottish cottage completely frozen in time found containing WW2 letters

A Scottish cottage completely frozen in time has been unearthed by an urban explorer, who discovered historic World War Two letters and a newspaper proclaiming the first moon landing in1969.

0_Abandoned-cottage-main.jpg

The eerie and crumbling settlement, in Fife, was found by Grant Vincent.

The cottage has been untouched for over a decade, with the stone building gradually being consumed by nature with leaves, branches and moss attaching themselves to it.

Vincent made the stark discovery while visiting Scotland on his travels, with the interior of the building appearing to represent a hoarder's dream with objects filling each dishevelled room from floor to ceiling leaving very little room to step.

Though he made some intriguing finds, Grant was especially surprised to discover a newspaper dating back to July 21st, 1969, the headline reading "Man Walks on the Moon," speaking of Neil Armstrong's ground-breaking Apollo 11 mission, and a letter sent from Luxembourg during The Second World War.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/new...d-scottish-cottage-completely-frozen-24735736

maximus otter
From that article:
Amongst the items Vincent spotted were old books, vinyl records, a bloke and retro entertainment equipment such as a television, radio and clock.

A bloke?

I've more than likely posted here about this place before. Me and the Mrs visited it when it was close to empty a few years back. Oradour Sur Glane in central France.

4 days after D-Day, the Nazis decided to massacre everyone in this town. They thought (wrongly) that the resistance were hiding out there. President De Gaul was so appalled about what had happened, he ordered that the town be left untouched forever as a reminder of the horrors of war (other than the bodies being removed of course) .. people's personal possessions still to this day litter the burned out houses, small business's and the church. Cars from that era are still parked on the streets, bicycles etc .. filming or photography is strictly forbidden inside the building before you enter the town itself because of graphic photographs of the bodies found. The town's men were executed in back yards with Gatling guns, the women and children were shot and also burned to death in the town church.

Yeah, this narrator hits something that's often overlooked... whoever used to live in this area in ages past... had living in underground caves/tunnels as their default means of building homes. She states that there's actually 150 known sites similar to Derinkuyu but probably smaller... o-o'

Inside abandoned brothel with ‘naughty boys room’ as sauna left to ruin after being closed for years

Urban explorers have snuck into The Old City Sauna, Sheffield, which featured in the ITV documentary A Very Yorkshire Brothel.

red-fright-district-inside-abandoned-777650184.jpg

The building, which first opened as a bar more than two centuries ago, was left to rot after the venue moved further down the road back in 2018.

914477cb-2005-41dc-8f9e-417c9f2284d1.jpg

The floor is littered in pregnancy tests and rat droppings

Shocking photos show the condition the grotty brothel was abandoned in - including what's labelled the "Naughty Boys’ Room".

red-fright-district-inside-abandoned-777650183.jpg

Explorers Lost & Forgotten Faces posted the sickening snaps to Facebook.

They wrote: “I quickly got an idea of what went on here, with old condoms in the showers and stained mattresses.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20517994/inside-abandoned-brothel-with-naughty-boys-room/

maximus otter

Back