• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do you think Uri Geller is......

• Absolutely genuine

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • An entertainer with no special powers

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Conman

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters
To claim that he cheated all the time because he cheated some times is not provable. (By analogy, if anyone has lied at least once, we can assume that person lies every time. Hmmm. That is everyone!)
Not the case. Someone may lie in a trivial way, e.g. 'Yes, I love your new hairstyle', which doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
This doesn't compare to 'I did not have sex with that woman!'

Actual cheating, in any context, is an instant tell.
Ask anyone who has caught their significant other at it, or who has played sports or games against a cheater. That cheater cannot be trusted again and anyone who trust them hasn't learned their lesson. There are even folk sayings about it.

I remember watching a documentary on Randi once where he duplicated a lot of Geller's feats and then demonstrated how he did them. A fair percentage of his audience didn't believe him and said that it was now up to Randi to prove that he didn't have psychic powers!
It is very hard to disabuse people of superstition. I've been caught out like that.

Was working with infant school-age children and began discussing the concept of chance. Decided to illustrate it by proving that while nobody can predict which way a flipped coin can fall, they'd probably get it right half the time.

So I got the kids to flip a coin while everyone watched. I predicted heads/tails and repeatedly got it right. Not one wrong guess.

When it reached double figures the kids were aghast at my psychic powers.
I explained that this was total chance and that another 20 guesses would show me getting it wrong. Time was up and I retired unbeaten. :chuckle:

To say I'm doubtful that Geller can find the Ark of the Covenant using his special powers, would be understating things.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust him if he said he'd discovered the Arc De Triomphe using a street map of Paris.

To say I'm doubtful that Geller can find the Ark of the Covenant using his special powers, would be understating things.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust him if he said he'd discovered the Arc De Triomphe using a street map of Paris.
:rofl:
You owe me one keyboard.

Not the case. Someone may lie in a trivial way, e.g. 'Yes, I love your new hairstyle', which doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
This doesn't compare to 'I did not have sex with that woman!'

Actual cheating, in any context, is an instant tell.
Ask anyone who has caught their significant other at it, or who has played sports or games against a cheater. That cheater cannot be trusted again and anyone who trust them hasn't learned their lesson. There are even folk sayings about it.
@escargot – well, yes I think it is the case. You make a valid distinction between a trivial lie and a serious lie spoken to influence another person’s behavior, i.e., trust me.

To state that a cheater can never be trusted again is not addressing the point I was trying to make: that is, that one cannot prove, by currently known means, that Uri Geller cheats every single time.

If you choose to assume that a known cheater will cheat every time for the rest of his or her life, that is fine, but that does not prove that “he cheated all the time because he cheated sometimes.” It may even be a beneficial assumption, but that is not relevant to the issue of proof.

In your world, once a person has transgressed, that person is no longer capable of demonstrating believable remediated behavior. In my world, I have known more than one person who has permanently cleaned up his life and changed his behavior for the rest of his life. Of course, I can’t prove it. But I have trusted it, cautiously, and have not regretted it.

I think you wrote somewhere that you had a criminal behavior or justice degree. In all that body of work, did you never run across someone who changed his behavior permanently? If so, I find that remarkable. We are drifting away from the topic of Uri Geller, but I wanted to explain why I disagree with your reasoning.

one cannot prove, by currently known means, that Uri Geller cheats every single time
It doesn't matter. Someone who has been caught cheating is a cheat. That's all there is to it.

Human nature. I can't see any issue with that.

It is very hard to disabuse people of superstition. I've been caught out like that.

Was working with infant school-age children and began discussing the concept of chance. Decided to illustrate it by proving that while nobody can predict which way a flipped coin can fall, they'd probably get it right half the time.

So I got the kids to flip a coin while everyone watched. I predicted heads/tails and repeatedly got it right. Not one wrong guess.

When it reached double figures the kids were aghast at my psychic powers.
I explained that this was total chance and that another 20 guesses would show me getting it wrong. Time was up and I retired unbeaten. :chuckle:
She's a witch .... burn her.

I can quite happily make coins come up heads or tails pretty much as I want - providing I get to set them the way up I want on my thumb before flicking - it's more a juggling trick than anything. Larger coins - 2p's, £2 and old 10ps (shillings)are the easiest.
Did it in a statistics class once when we were talking about chance - never bet against me on the toss of a coin.
edit
This guys kind of does something similar (I actually think I'm better at it - but, it's a similar thing)

Last edited:
The aliens are coming according to Uri. I wonder if he will bend their rectal probes.

Uri Geller warns NASA to prepare for 'alien invasion' in new prediction​

Scientists said they have never seen anything like the 'spooky' new phenomenon before.

TV psychic Uri Geller has warned NASA to prepare for an imminent alien invasion.
Spoon Bender Uri has predicted that there will be a 'mass landing' after scientists found a huge energy source 4,000 light years away.
According to Daily Star, the 75-year-old believes humans may have stumbled upon the chit-chat of 'superior' beings from outer space and the self-proclaimed psychic thinks it means that aliens are heading our way.
He announced on Instagram : "A team mapping radio waves in the universe has discovered something unusual that releases a giant burst of energy three times an hour and it’s unlike anything astronomers have seen before.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/uri-geller-warns-nasa-prepare-26085235

Expect an announcement that he's used his psychic powers to thwart an alien invasion and has saved the planet.
He's done it already. No aliens around here anyway. Didn't you notice? Thanks, Uri.

I’ve been a bit constipated lately. After seeing what Uri and his followers achieved freeing that fucking huge ship from that canal, I wonder if his followers could direct their powers, thoughts and prayers directly to my arsehole to deal with a potentially similar maritime disaster.

PS. I have already tried a spoon.

I’ve been a bit constipated lately. After seeing what Uri and his followers achieved freeing that fucking huge ship from that canal, I wonder if his followers could direct their powers, thoughts and prayers directly to my arsehole to deal with a potentially similar maritime disaster.

PS. I have already tried a spoon.
I think the phrase I'm looking for is 'miracles take longer'.

I wonder why he didn't use his psychic powers on this one.
Uri Geller praises kayak club volunteers who tracked down a rat on his Scottish island
URI Geller has thanked a team of volunteers who undertook a two year project to capture a rat on his Scottish island.
By George Mair
Thursday, 5th May 2022, 12:15 pm
Updated
4 hours ago

The celebrity spoon bender bought The Lamb, a small uninhabited island in the Firth of Forth, in 2009, and believes the rocky outcrop is "one of the most significant sites in Britain".

Conservationists discovered evidence of rodent activity on the island in 2020, leading to fears for seabirds including puffins and guillemots.

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-a...ked-down-a-rat-on-his-scottish-island-3681508

Geller Issued a warning so everyone in Scotland can breath a sigh of relief...

FZKzukBXgAAKeNj.jpg

Is Uri signalling that the Russian missiles run on spoon-power? Fused by old pocket-watches?

And he has drawn one inside this envelope and - revealed - it looks like one angry bear!

Oh, it was meant to be a dog. So it's goodnight from him and goodnight to us all!

Hava Nagila etc. etc. :thought:

That was one of the best England vs Scotland games.

Both keepers played well, and Gascogine scored a great goal.

Can we check with Uri : whilst it is reassuring that his powers will work with Russia, does he realise other nuclear arsenals are available? Will his powers work on other countries?

Back