• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs As A Poltergeist Phenomenon

BS3

Abominable Showman
Eric Ouellet, a Canadian professor of defence studies, has written quite a bit on a 'parapsychological' approach to UFOs.

In particular he argues that UFO 'flaps' or waves often mirror the structure shown by poltergeist phenomenona. They start with apparently closely witnessed anomalies; are verified by an initial set of 'credible' observers; are subsequently more critically analysed by a second set of sceptical observers, and finally fade out in lower strangeness events and accusations of hoaxing. We do see this pattern in a lot of 'flaps' and even sometimes in individual events - as well as in poltergeist cases and odd things like the Dalby Spook.

There is also all the High Strangeness stuff around UFOs that rarely gets recorded. Even Father Gill reported odd bangs on the roof of the mission house during his sightings in Papua.

Oullet's suggestion is that this pattern in UFOs might reflect parapsychological forces operating at a large-scale, society-wide level (coining the term 'parasociology') and we don't necessarily need to invoke transdimensional or extraterrestrial entities to explain them. While I'm not convinced you need parapsychology either, this is an interesting idea to play around with and might certainly explain why we always seem to end up chasing fuzzy lights in the sky.

Years ago I read a book called Open Skies, Closed Minds. The author had been given a government job as their first Officer of UFO's, or a similar tittle. In it he states that their was no Government cover up and that the government was much at a loss about UFO's as Joe Public, a statement I took with a pinch of salt.

What was interesting was that he highlighted the fact that sometime when a group of people witnessed the same event, some would see one thing, and others would see something else while some wouldn't see anything.

Years ago I read a book called Open Skies, Closed Minds. The author had been given a government job as their first Officer of UFO's, or a similar tittle. In it he states that their was no Government cover up and that the government was much at a loss about UFO's as Joe Public, a statement I took with a pinch of salt.

What was interesting was that he highlighted the fact that sometime when a group of people witnessed the same event, some would see one thing, and others would see something else while some wouldn't see anything.

This effect is one of the big hurdles to overcome by anyone looking to argue the idea of nuts and bolts spacecraft. I suppose a lot of it's down to quirks of human perception and memory, though things get a bit stranger when one person sees something that someone else next to them can't see at all - or when several people see something anomalous but fundamentally identical, but other people see a different anomalous thing (this has happened in UFO cases).

Oullet hypothesises something more unusual, which is that there can be psi-like effects acting on our environment (and then interacting with us) but operating at a collective, rather than individual level. So - poltergeists writ large in some ways.

Interesting.

One fundamental problem with nuts-and-bolts Ufology is the high percentage of UFOs that are seen to streak away at colossal speed from the witness, disappearing into space/the horizon in “the blink of an eye“. Yet there never seems to be a sonic boom or any other sight or sound of the speed of sound being broken and earthly physics being ’ripped open’. Vallee and others have speculated that this is more akin to a projection than a solid object, that is a projection like a searchlight or torch but without the beam visible, but who or what is creating and operating the projection…?

Interesting.

One fundamental problem with nuts-and-bolts Ufology is the high percentage of UFOs that are seen to streak away at colossal speed from the witness, disappearing into space/the horizon in “the blink of an eye“. Yet there never seems to be a sonic boom or any other sight or sound of the speed of sound being broken and earthly physics being ’ripped open’. Vallee and others have speculated that this is more akin to a projection than a solid object, that is a projection like a searchlight or torch but without the beam visible, but who or what is creating and operating the projection…?

I think Vallee expressed it well. We like to think of UFOs as an 'intelligent' phenomenon, but which side of the fence is the 'intelligence' on? (I'm not even getting into the fact that a lot of the phenomenon makes no logical sense anyway).

I think the principle of Oullet's idea has an appealing simplicity. It would certainly explain the explosion in saucer sightings in the late 1940s, for example - if you overlook the issue that once again you're going beyond the boundaries of accepted science. One of the simpler explanations put forward for the Pascagoula abduction is that it was just a nightmare of Hickson's that he communicated to Parker by a kind of telepathy: works well, but of course this supposes that telepathy is real.

From another thread:

He talks about the 1972 Cordoba Renault factory entity that displays classic poltergeist traits (just after 2 min mark)

One fundamental problem with nuts-and-bolts Ufology is the high percentage of UFOs that are seen to streak away at colossal speed from the witness, disappearing into space/the horizon in “the blink of an eye“. Yet there never seems to be a sonic boom or any other sight or sound of the speed of sound being broken and earthly physics being ’ripped open’.
The most parsimonious explanation for this is that it is literally impossible to observe events that occur 'in the blink of an eye'. What probably happens is that the observer loses sight of the phenomenon - perhaps because it has ceased to be luminous, or it has entered the Earth's shadow, or gone behind a cloud. Then the observer interprets this sudden disappearance as a rapid movement out of view, and remembers this interpretation with added details (such as streaking and blurring).

@Paul_Exeter that's really interesting - I note that the Cordoba factory was quite heavily affected by industrial action in the 70s, up to and including killings on both sides. Perhaps a divided and traumatised workforce provided a collective 'focus'?

A42wuJ6CcAAPTKg.jpeg

Poltergeist and UFOs having a relationship in my opinion makes no sense in any way.

Poltergeist are summoned by younger people growing up and not accepting all the changes

Teens being frustrated is a signal for a poltergeist to show up and cause mischief.

Interesting.

With regards to 'akin to a projection'. The was an elderly resident where I lived who I used to chat to quite often when I was loading/unloading equipment from my van. He'd walk his little dog around the grounds and carpark to where I live about 200 times a day, I think just to find people to talk to.

When younger he was an avid ufo enthusiast. During the 70's, 80's and 90's he belonged to some type of UFO club in the West Country but a heart attack put paid to his activities. At some point during that time period him and two friends would regularly camp out on a particular hill somewhere in Devon, I think, that was well known as a UFO hot spot. He said that sometimes they'd see a UFO but more often than not, didn't.

When electronic binoculars came out the three of them all chipped in and bought a pair. One night when they spotted a UFO and looked at it through their electronic binoculars, it was made up of 'luminous' numbers and letters that constantly changed and not only that the colours of them changed all the time as well. When looked at through ordinary binoculars it didn't do that.

It was a curious enough story to stick in my mind.

Interesting.

Here's the thing though - there is no sonic boom or any sound whatsoever, along with no smoke or visible means of propulsion, I think because these vehicles are anti-gravity devices. Nothing affects them. They are operating on a completely different level from anything we are aware of.
At least that is the conclusion I have come to. And that what I saw was definitely a physical airship, even though it was dark it blocked out the sky and stars.

With regards to 'akin to a projection'. The was an elderly resident where I lived who I used to chat to quite often when I was loading/unloading equipment from my van. He'd walk his little dog around the grounds and carpark to where I live about 200 times a day, I think just to find people to talk to.

When younger he was an avid ufo enthusiast. During the 70's, 80's and 90's he belonged to some type of UFO club in the West Country but a heart attack put paid to his activities. At some point during that time period him and two friends would regularly camp out on a particular hill somewhere in Devon, I think, that was well known as a UFO hot spot. He said that sometimes they'd see a UFO but more often than not, didn't.

When electronic binoculars came out the three of them all chipped in and bought a pair. One night when they spotted a UFO and looked at it through their electronic binoculars, it was made up of 'luminous' numbers and letters that constantly changed and not only that the colours of them changed all the time as well. When looked at through ordinary binoculars it didn't do that.

It was a curious enough story to stick in my mind.
That's even more odd than simply seeing a UFO.

Poltergeist and UFOs having a relationship in my opinion makes no sense in any way.

Poltergeist are summoned by younger people growing up and not accepting all the changes

Teens being frustrated is a signal for a poltergeist to show up and cause mischief.
There are multiple-witness Poltergeist cases where this wasn't the case, for example:

"The Cardiff poltergeist case revolved around the workshop of a lawnmower repairs and servicing company".

https://www.higgypop.com/news/the-cardiff-poltergeist/

Agreed, the general idea of the 'focus' is that you have an individual who (for whatever reason) is prevented from fully expressing their own needs, feelings, whatever, through "normal" social channels. Doesn't have to be a disgruntled teenager (though they fit this role quite well!)

Oullet's thesis is that process can also happen at a broader societal level.

In my my opinion there is no connection between UFOs and poltergeists.

The raging hormone changes in pre teens summons poltergeists.

According to Wikipedia poltergeist have been documented from the first century AD.

Substitute societal 'crisis' for individual 'crisis' and maybe you summon UFOs, if people are culturally disposed to see them. The modern 'UFO' is usually thought to be a product of the Cold War era, and indeed the phenomenon seems to have receded as the war did.

In previous times of war, famine or disease people reported signs and marvels in the air too. Maybe, one way or the other - through (mis)perception or maybe, as Oullet suggests, something stranger - we often project our anxieties into the sky?

By “electronic binoculars” l assume he meant a night vision device of some sort.

From the era, this would probably have been Gen 2 equipment. Here’s an image of some buildings through an AN/PVS-2 weapon sight of that era:

hqdefault.jpg

“Starlight scopes” of that time were notorious for pixellation/sparkles in the field of view.

l believe that your witness was seeing such optical aberrations and interpreting them as changing numbers/ letters.

None of which, of course, explains exactly what he was looking at…

maximus otter

According to Wikipedia poltergeist have been documented from the first century AD.
That is the theory heavily promoted by materialist parapsychologists, trying to remove any concept of external entities. The problem with it is that it does not really fit the facts, and poltergeist cases can occur without any obvious focus, or when the supposed focus is absent for a period. There is a lot of overlap between hauntings and poltergeists, but this is often brushed under the carpet.

By “electronic binoculars” l assume he meant a night vision device of some sort.

From the era, this would probably have been Gen 2 equipment. Here’s an image of some buildings through an AN/PVS-2 weapon sight of that era:

hqdefault.jpg

“Starlight scopes” of that time were notorious for pixellation/sparkles in the field of view.

l believe that your witness was seeing such optical aberrations and interpreting them as changing numbers/ letters.

maximus otter
I'm looking at the above image 'Starlight scopes,' and to me this image appears to be shrinking ~ a good illusion!

Last edited:

hqdefault.jpg

maximus otter
I can only repeat what he said and for me, if he said different colours then I accept that.

He was full on into the paranormal and UFO's although he does not really seemed to have talked about it much to others. I saw inside his flat once and the whole wall in his sitting rooms was books about both subjects. He also had a collection of notebooks wherein he had kept detailed records of his sightings.

I think his attention to detail was such that had it been green letters or pixelation he would have said so.

I wonder if the 'colours and numbers' might have been some sort of test configuration.

Electronic optical aids are good for seeing nearby objects at night, but they are less good for looking at aircraft, and useless for astronomy. Recent night-vision clips of drones, filmed by the SNOOPIE teams from the deck of the USS Russell are very low-resolution, and almost useless for identifying the objects concerned. Mostly these clips show various first magnitude stars, distorted into misleading shapes by the optic system.

Back